Midi COntrol of Dimension Vector Mixer?

Author
shaunch
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2005/06/05 05:57:56 (permalink)

Midi COntrol of Dimension Vector Mixer?

Does anyone know how to control the Vector Mixer in Dimension from Midi, such as the X-Y Pad on a Novation Keyboard, so the mix can be controlled in real time?

5 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Midi COntrol of Dimension Vector Mixer? 2005/06/05 07:48:45 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum, Shaun. Another Novation user? First (as you probably already know), you have to program in at least one MIDI message per X and Y into a Novation template. Don't go by that quadrant chart in the manual; it's all screwed up. Use the Novation's display in the Edit mode and tap on the four quadrants to determine whether you're currently programming X1, X2, Y1, or Y2. If you do program in two parameters each in two different planes, you'll have to remember the two CC#s [or other MIDI message] that you want specifically for the Vector Mixer later on.

Go to the Track Inspector [in V2] for Dimension, and click the right-pointing arrow to expose the eight 'widget' parameters for the synth. You're looking for the Vector Mixer X and Vector Mixer Y assignments. If need be, right-click on any of the 'widgets' and go to DX Automation, and then locate one of the Vector parameters. Repeat the process on another 'widget' for the other direction of the Mixer. Now right-click again on each of these 'widgets' in turn to "bind" your MIDI message transmitted by the Novation X-Y pad.

In MIDI Remote Control, you have a Learn function. If you've only programmed one CC per-plane in the Novation, just click on Learn and tap the proper quadrant on the Novation. If you have two messages per-plane in your template, you'll have to enter the proper one(s) manually in MIDI Remote Control. The Learn process gets confused with receiving multiple messages at the same time. Repeat the procedure for each quad [X1 and Y1; or X2 and Y2; or both], and you're all set.

Note that you can also remotely control the Desaccel function in the Vector Mixer, which (in effect) tailors the response of the pad by introducing a curve into the mix. Higher values result in a 'slower' response time. You can also flip the High/Low values in the Novation template, and/or experiment with the Jump/Pickup Pot/Slider control. HTH
    shaunch
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Midi COntrol of Dimension Vector Mixer? 2005/06/05 08:24:38 (permalink)
    Many thanks.

Strangely enough I haven't used the Novation Software yet, as my main VSTis all have Midi Learns!!

I do think Dimension would benefit with the kind of 'right click - midi learn options' that work really fast and intuitively.

As a Novation user I only bought a Remote 25 for the Controllers! I have an early DX7 and Roland A37 as main keyboards but wanted something like the X-Y Pad.

Again, many thanks for your help, and so quickly!!
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Midi COntrol of Dimension Vector Mixer? 2005/06/05 09:20:49 (permalink)
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Midi COntrol of Dimension Vector Mixer? 2005/06/05 10:55:56 (permalink)
    Wikied
    Sheesh, Bob! I can see that you're got that "quickie Wiki" thing down pat. Now I'm actually going to have to [gulp!] proofread what I write down; there's not enough time left to post the Inevitable Editable. I really didn't think this little one-off deserved to be "Wikified", but I now see where it might help out in a general sense. Thanks again, but ease off on that coffee!

As you can see here, Shaun, we kind of pride ourselves on a quick response to questions. As for the MIDI Learn in Dimension, Rene has mentioned that everything is considered if it's put in as a formal feature request. I've personally gotten used to doing all Remote Control through the P5 interface. That way, I have it all in one spot, can save each set of assignments as a Device Chain template, and don't have to deal with each synth's individual peculiarites in their MIDI Learn implementation. One size fits all.

Those are some nice controllers that you have there [I want my DX7 back!]. If you're just getting into the Novation end of things, make sure that you download the 2.x O/S for the Remotes [found here]. You get the benefit of some bug fixes, Keyboard Zones; enhanced controller options, and a whole lot more.

At the same link, you can download the Learn files. They're useful for general information relating to control surface support, but nothing specific to Project5 [Sonar, though]. There's also the newest MIDI drivers, the factory defaults for all of the templates, and a template editor that'll sure make life easy on you. All of it's free for the asking.

When you start getting into the X-Y pad programming, check out using pitchbend in an X direction, and Mod wheel in the Y. You can do some things with this that can't be duplicated in any other way. Stuff like whammy bar 'slams' & 'leans', PB 'tapping' effects, PB vibrato with adjacent mod wheel effects, bent trills, hammer-ons and pull-offs, staccato sample mangling, and a host of other effects.

Same goes for filter parameters. I don't know how I ever got along without the X-Y pad, and it sits there right under my left pinky [finger, that is ...]. If I had room to put it, I'd consider a Kaoss pad just for the X-Y, but it'd have to bunk up with the Trigger Finger. There's just no good spot to put anything else, unless I go vertical with a controller rack. Hmmm ...
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Midi COntrol of Dimension Vector Mixer? 2005/06/05 11:31:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock
    Sheesh, Bob! I can see that you're got that "quickie Wiki" thing down pat. Now I'm actually going to have to [gulp!] proofread what I write down; there's not enough time left to post the Inevitable Editable. I really didn't think this little one-off deserved to be "Wikified", but I now see where it might help out in a general sense. Thanks again, but ease off on that coffee!

It's the orange juice...I don't do coffee (surprise!).

Tom, feel free to edit here, or on the wiki. Its open to all of us to post or change each other's postings. That's what makes a wiki so great!

-Bob

PS I wikified the "addendum" as well.
    post edited by techead - 2005/06/05 11:33:37
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1