midi learn preset as "device chain"??

Author
vinny199
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 218
2005/07/16 11:39:40 (permalink)

midi learn preset as "device chain"??

Hey,

i'm trying to finalize that "controler setting" stuff.

I've made a template using midi learn to control the basic mixing functions of P5 and all is well.

A step forward.

Now, i've read somewhere in this forum (can't find the thread again somehow) that it is possible to have the remote control setting saved "as a device chain" that can be inported into any other project.

It may also allow to create more remote control settings for effects and instruments, if i understand correctly.

Otherwise, how do you do it once you have assigned track settings to your midi controler and ran out of knobs/faders to create control for instruments?

Can you have multiple "remote control settings", one for sequencer, one for dimension etc? and load them into various projects?

Does anyone know further about this?

I've looked at documentation and could not find anything relevant. or have i missed something?

Cheers,

Vinny
http://www.vinnypiana.co.uk/

X1d expanded
PC i7, win 7 x64, 2.8 ghz; 12 gig ram
Motu ultralite (firewire)

15 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: midi learn preset as "device chain"?? 2005/07/16 13:04:28 (permalink)
    I've made a template using midi learn to control the basic mixing functions of P5 and all is well.
    Hey, Vinny: IIRC, you've got one of those Behringer rotarys as a controller, and the ability to store templates in it. I'm going to proceed under that assumption. I do something like the following description in my own setup; you may find this useful.

Think of the stored controller templates as General settings. You might have one for mixdown, another for synth patch programming, one for drum programming, etc. and have similar enough needs for composition with synths to have a single one for that purpose, or maybe a few more (one for each go-to synth). Set up each controller template to transmit a unique set of MIDI messages specific to that template. You may have run out of knobs [is it 24?], but each of those can transmit a different MIDI message in each template. So now you can shift your entire remote configuration by just swapping out a controller template.

On to the P5 end: You only have one Save as Template readily available, so that has to be arranged as the most basic of all; a setup that you'll use most often. You don't want to conflict with anything else here, so this might be your mixdown template on the Project5 side of things. Maybe eight blank tracks with level, panning and aux/master control. Those MIDI Remote settings will be stored in P5's template, and recalled in a File/New Project from Template. If you find this limiting, you can adjust your settings and Save them as a regular Project file [.p5p], then File/Open when you need it. Name it something appropriate, like 16-Track Template.p5p to avoid any searching later on.

Now the Device Chains contain the specifics. I've opened up every synth that I own and (at first) not touched a setting. I'd like to keep all of the presets, etc. just as they've come from the 'factory' intact. Then just assign all of the MIDI messages that you've prepared from your general controller template for performance/composition. Do nothing else, and save it as a Device Chain. The next time that you want to use the synth, Replace/Insert from Device Chain instead of Replace/Insert Instrument, and all of your assignments will be set to go immediately.

You might want to set up sub-folders in P5's Device Chain folder for each synth, and store a performance, programming, with/without FX, etc. Device Chain file; each one corresponding to the original sister template in your BCR. You can also have a basic synth chain; one with commonly-used effects for that synth; still another with the Arp settings stored., and they'll all be under that synth's sub-folder.

Now you're at the point where you can call up any combination of synths for a project, have them automatically remote-controlled, and still have no worries that one setup will confilct with any other one. With this setup, you can flow from patch-tweaking to performance/composition to mixdown to mastering all by switching among controller templates.

I know that this sounds like a PITA, but it's worth the trouble from then on. You don't have to do it all at once; just attack the needs as they come up, but have a plan as to exactly how you want your final setup to be. You might have used the general purpose controllers in MIDI for your eight input levels. Mark that down, and use something else on the next controller template. Then bind those physical controls [sending a source message] to the destination parameters in a Device Chain that you want to control, and eventually you'll have everything just the way you want it, in a repeatable and remember-able[?] process.

Some common controls are found in almost every synth: things like the Mod Wheel, Sustain, Pitch Bend, etc. Try not to use these messages for anything out of the ordinary, but you can use that same message across synths for the same purpose. The problem with that is that you'll open up the Mod depth on more than one synth at the same time if they're both loaded. That's where port and MIDI channel configurations come into play. You can segregate two Mod Wheel messages over 16 different channels and/or whatever input ports are installed, and store that MIDI channel in your controller template [I assume] and the Device Chain as well.

One thing to note: you can control more than one destination in MIDI Remote Control with the same Mapped Source. This can be both an advantage & a disadvantage. You may or may not want two, or eight, or 16 parameters all responding to the same physical control knob. But once you use up a Contol Source, it's "intercepted" from it's normal routing (except for velocity), and can't be used in P5 in a 'normal' way. For example, if you map a MIDI Note like C5, you won't hear that note anymore in your synth.

Sorry for the length of response here, but there's no way to cover the subject completely in just a few sentences. If this just made it more confusing, be sure to reply back again, and I'll try to be a little clearer. HTH
    vinny199
    RE: midi learn preset as "device chain"?? 2005/07/16 14:50:47 (permalink)

Hi,

first of all, thanks a lot for your very detailed and helpful reply!

just what I needed. yes it makes sense, and this is exactly what I'm trying to do, but with a few problems...

Then just assign all of the MIDI messages that you've prepared from your general controller template for performance/composition.

Could you clarify this:

Is it The Instruments that "learn" the controler's knob midi message and strores it ?
    or
    Is it the controller that "learn" the midi message assigned to an instrument button/fader etc?

I presume it is the first option, but not using midi learn, as midi learn is only for P5 main window.
    so, there is a way from the istrument to pick up and learn the midi message coming from the controller. is that right?

If it is the second option, I could not get P5 to send the midi message to the controller for it to learn.

This is where I'm really confused.

Those MIDI Remote settings will be stored in P5's template, and recalled in a File/New Project from Template

OK, Understood. yes it is limitating this way, so really the controller's templates are a better option.

But regarding the p5 midi learn thing:

One thing I wonder if you have an answer though:

Say you get P5 to learn the basic controls of the first 16 tracks, as you explain, like pan,vol,aux. and this is your basic "mixer" template stored in P5 document.

Say you have your drums on track 1, 2,3,and 4, then a few vocals, bass, a guitar etc, up to track 15.

Now on track 16, you add a new drum part, like a tambourin.

In order to visualize you overall arrangement better, you move track 16 to track 5's position, so all your drum parts are together.

But then my controller still sees what is now "track 5" according to p5 as track 16, messing up the mixer layout, especially if you move a few tracks up and down. do you know what I mean?

Is there a way to avoid that too?

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Vinny

X1d expanded
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: midi learn preset as "device chain"?? 2005/07/16 16:38:18 (permalink)
    But then my controller still sees what is now "track 5" according to p5 as track 16, messing up the mixer layout, especially if you move a few tracks up and down. do you know what I mean?

only cake can answer this for sure but i would guess that when you move track 16 up to the track 5 position all you have done is renamed track 16 track 5. if this is true it is unrealistic to expect an exchange of midi learn parameters with this move.
    b rock
    RE: midi learn preset as "device chain"?? 2005/07/16 17:08:44 (permalink)
    Is it The Instruments that "learn" the controler's knob midi message and strores it ?
    or Is it the controller that "learn" the midi message assigned to an instrument button/fader etc?
    There's so much flexibility at present with the subject of MIDI control in general that it always ends up confusing. Sometimes you have to limit the possible routings and make your own conventions to narrow things down.

You are teaching your controller to send a specific message, and your synths/effects to react to that message when it comes along the MIDI stream. Project5 is acting as the mediator in this process: Like an air traffic controller, it spots the incoming 'flights', and routes them to the proper destinations without colliding with any other flight. P5 can only handle the parameters that a synth expose to it, and will only understand the Control Sources listed in the MIDI Remote Control [MRC] that are coming into it.

Some synths also have a 'MIDI Learn' function of its own, but many don't, so it's best to use Project5 to manage all of your synths in an across-the-board manner. It'll then store this overlay within a Device Chain for the next session. The controller stores what it's sending in templates, so that you can repeat it later on, or switch to a whole new set of messages for a different purpose.

A keyboard controller does the same thing: it's often 'hard-wired' to send a MIDI Note from the keys, and perhaps Aftertouch with added pressure, a CC#1 message from the Mod Wheel, a CC#64 from the Sustain switch, and a Pitch message from the Pitchbend Wheel. But programmable physical controls allow you to change this up, and maybe send a CC# 7 [Volume] message from the Mod Wheel instead.

Some synths are also 'hardwired' to a specific received message. For example, it'll change the modulation depth of it's LFOs only when it receives a CC#1 message. That's why it's best to stay away from re-assigning the commonly-used conventions in MIDI. You can get Project5 to reassign the incoming message, but since it's been 'intercepted' by P5, it's possible to lose that function on the synth.
    Say you get P5 to learn the basic controls of the first 16 tracks ... In order to visualize you overall arrangement better, you move track 16 to track 5's position
    Yeah, you're upsetting the apple cart there, because you're destroying the send/receive relationship that you've set up between the controller and P5. It'll still function, but not in the same structured physical layout that you have on your controller. You could either change and re-save your controller template to reflect the new track arrangement, or change the specific MIDI messages in P5's template to reflect the new ground rules.

"One track= one synth" is Project5's prime directive, and you can extend that to Device Chains as well. The mixdown overlay that you've set up in the one P5 template has been fixed by a Save operation, and your controller layout has been fixed in its template. You've taught both that this was how it goes, but you can't expect it to follow automatically when you shift the playing field. You can get some immediate relief by relabelling the track names, but you can't renumber the tracks to apply to your controller setup.

This is the kind of bi-directional communication that you gain with true control surface support found in many other applications, including Sonar. That works really well with automated/motorized fader controllers, like the 01X, Mackie, Tascam, etc. I seem to remember some noise about support for the BCF version of your controller in Sonar; the one with the faders. At any rate, P5 has a 'poor-man's' control surface support: if you want something, you have to make it yourself. Project5 isn't doing any talking to your controller; it's only listening for a monologue to come through. HTH
    vinny199
    RE: midi learn preset as "device chain"?? 2005/07/17 10:42:12 (permalink)

Thanks again b rock,

hope you don't mind me asking a couple more questions...

You are teaching your controller to send a specific message, and your synths/effects to react to that message when it comes along the MIDI stream. Project5 is acting as the mediator in this process: Like an air traffic controller, it spots the incoming 'flights', and routes them to the proper destinations without colliding with any other flight. P5 can only handle the parameters that a synth expose to it, and will only understand the Control Sources listed in the MIDI Remote Control [MRC] that are coming into it.

OK, understood.

Some synths also have a 'MIDI Learn' function of its own, but many don't, so it's best to use Project5 to manage all of your synths in an across-the-board manner

ok, but how? if synth doesnt have a midi leard (even Dimension does not seem to have, as when i right click any button, no learn option is given)

You are saying if I understand correctly, that you taught your synth some midi controls that match those in your harware template.
    for those that have "hard wired" midi messages, I suppose it's a mater of having the midi list of each funtion. but for those who are "virgin" of midi messages and you suggest teaching them to recognize an incoming message and get p5 to manage that, then how did you do that?

Yeah, you're upsetting the apple cart there, because you're destroying the send/receive relationship that you've set up between the controller and P5. It'll still function, but not in the same structured physical layout that you have on your controller. You could either change and re-save your controller template to reflect the new track arrangement, or change the specific MIDI messages in P5's template to reflect the new ground rules.

"One track= one synth" is Project5's prime directive, and you can extend that to Device Chains as well. The mixdown overlay that you've set up in the one P5 template has been fixed by a Save operation, and your controller layout has been fixed in its template. You've taught both that this was how it goes, but you can't expect it to follow automatically when you shift the playing field. You can get some immediate relief by relabelling the track names, but you can't renumber the tracks to apply to your controller setup.

This is the kind of bi-directional communication that you gain with true control surface support found in many other applications, including Sonar. That works really well with automated/motorized fader controllers, like the 01X, Mackie, Tascam, etc. I seem to remember some noise about support for the BCF version of your controller in Sonar; the one with the faders. At any rate, P5 has a 'poor-man's' control surface support: if you want something, you have to make it yourself. Project5 isn't doing any talking to your controller; it's only listening for a monologue to come through. HTH

Ok, understaood.
    Thats fine. I'll do as you suggest and "re-program" my mixer when a project gets close to mixdown stage.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Vinny

X1d expanded
    b rock
    RE: midi learn preset as "device chain"?? 2005/07/17 11:51:41 (permalink)
    those who are "virgin" of midi messages and you suggest teaching them to recognize an incoming message and get p5 to manage that, then how did you do that?
    Through Project5's management scheme in the Track Inspector. The following explanation assumes version 2; P5 1.5 accomplishes this by right-clicking on the virtual assignable knobs in Syn:Ops.

Load up your synth, make sure that track is selected, and look to the Track Inspector. Next to the synth's name is a right-pointing arrow; click it to point down, and it'll expose eight 'widgets' [Cakewalk's term] by default. Each one of those is a programmable parameter that the particular synth exposes to Project5 for automation and MIDI Remote Control. If a synth doesn't give up the parameters, you can't control them. Check out the DXi version of z3ta+, or the widely scattered parameters in Green Oak's Crystal synth for some examples of this.

Right-click on one of those 'widgets' [sliders]. You'll see MIDI Remote Control, a Latch function, Assigned, DXi Automation, and MFX Automation. We're going to disregard the Latch and MFX selections for now; they don't directly pertain to the discussion. If you go to the Assigned choice, you'll see the parameter that assigned to that 'widget', and seven others that are greyed out. Those seven parameters are the ones already assigned to another 'widget'.

If one of these eight parameters are what you want to control, you're all set. Go directly to MIDI Remote Control [detailed below]. If not, you need to reassign the 'widget' to what you need, and that'll happen under the DXi Automation in the same right-click menu. Go to the DXi Automation choice, and hunt down the parameter that you're seeking. It'll take some searching in a full-featured synth that exposes a lot of parameters; sometimes hundreds. Don't get discouraged; this gets easier with practice. FX plugins usually have less choices to wade through.

Once you clicked on the desired parameter in DXi, the proper name will pop up in the 'widget'. It's now been reassigned to a new parameter. In the same right-click menu, go to the MIDI Remote Control dialog. Any source message that you enter here, or anything that you Learn in from your controller will now be bound to the parameter assigned/reassigned in that 'widget'. Move your controller knob, and the 'widget' will move accordingly.

You repeat this process for every controller knob that you want to bind to a synth parameter. It's worth noting that you don't need a separate 'widget' for every parameter that you want to bind to your controller. You can keep reassigning the same 'widget' if you like; these give visual feedback to your assignments. The true list of your assigned actions is under the Mapped Parameters in MIDI Remote Control. IOW, you can have eight 'widgets' showing and 32 parameters that are actually mapped. Don't ask me what the upper limit is in MRC; let's just say that it's a lot.

Those Mapped Parameters in the MRC dialog are what actually get saved in a Device Chain, and can include the ones from the synth, any effects chain, and the Arpeggiator assignments. This is what I meant by using Project5 to "manage" your synth settings. Everything in my other replies still applies here; you just have to put it all together. Believe me, it's easier to do than it is to describe in writing. After a couple of run-throughs, the process will become second-nature.

In a nutshell:

1). Set up your controller to transmit a unique set of MIDI messages, and save the template.
    2). Load your synth/effect, and assign the desired parameters to the 'widgets' in the Track Inspector.
    3). Bind each 'widget' to a synth parameter using MIDI Remote Control.
    4). Test that your controller and the software synth are communicating correctly by moving the knobs and watching for a response (either in the 'widget', or by observing the virtual control movement in the synth's GUI).
    5). Save your setup as a Device Chain.

When you're ready to recall the setup, select the controller template in the BCR, then load up the corresponding Device Chain in Project5. Everything comes back, and you're ready to roll.

Special Note: Any synth that has it's own Learn function [ex. Triangle II] or it's own MIDI Matrix [Dimension] or Modulation Matrix [z3ta+] will save that synth-specific configuration in it's own presets. But since not all synths do this, you can use the Device Chains in P5 (including those synths mentioned) for a method that works with most any synth [assuming some parameters exposed]. Of course, there's always a few exceptions to the rule, but let's get you rolling on something that works the majority of the time, and you'll soon recognize the variations (when they come up) and how you might use them to your advantage. HTH
    b rock
    RE: midi learn preset as "device chain"?? 2005/07/17 12:17:46 (permalink)
    for those that have "hard wired" midi messages, I suppose it's a mater of having the midi list of each funtion
    It's hard to believe, but I guess that I did miss something in the other books ...er, replies. Those 'hard-wired' parameters in some synths will react to MIDI messages without any special intervention. And these aren't necessarily going to be documented. You might need to take your KB controller through a discovery process, and throw out things like pitchbend, sustain, volume, mod wheel, etc. to see if you get any reaction out of an unknown synth setup. Those functions might also have the ability to be enabled/disabled on a per-patch basis. I know that it's a tall order, but you have to get to know your soft-synths inside out, and scour any documentation or FAQ's that you can find.

I mentioned that you should avoid reassigning certain MIDI messages so that you don't lose 'hard-wired' functionality. That won't do any real harm, but it might not be immediately obvious that you've lost a function. It's even more difficult to track down with an 'automated' system setup like we've been discussing. But there are several MIDI continuous controller messages that you should never touch until you're completely comfortable with the reasoning behind it.

The CC#s 0, 6, 32, 38, 96-101, and 120-127 are reserved for special puposes. Those include Bank Changes, RPN/NRPN and Data input, and Channel Mode messages. You don't have to know what this means, but you do have to know that reassigning those specific numbers can possibly wreak (temporary) havoc in your system (in hardware, especially). Since Project5 "intercepts" a MIDI message for its own use, that warning is mitigated somewhat, but it's still best to avoid those CC#s until you have a firm grasp of their functions. HTH

[Now I'm going to go soak my two index fingers in epsom salts. They're the only ones that I type with. <g>]
    vinny199
    RE: midi learn preset as "device chain"?? 2005/07/17 13:54:02 (permalink)
    Right b rock,

Brilliant man!

I understand it all now.

It's now a matter of setting unique middi message to each button in each bcr template.
    Unfortunatly it looks like a hellish job as the "graphical editor" tool of the bcr is not so good.
    but i'll get there.

Thanks so much for taking the time and all the explanations. really cool.

Give those index fingers a good rest,

Cheers,

Vinny

X1d expanded
    b rock
    RE: midi learn preset as "device chain"?? 2005/07/17 14:08:11 (permalink)
    Give those index fingers a good rest
    Already rested, Vinny. I just switched it up with some KB and guitar recording and all is well. I'm glad you got it down now; I'm afraid that it may have been my omissions and unclear explanations that may have confused the issue. Don't hesitate to bump this thread up if some more obstacles pop up. It's not easy to get everything just right, but when you do, your workflow efficiency will increase ten-fold.

For my own information: Tell me a little about the BCR's template editor. Is it that poorly implemented, or unintuitive? I'm assuming that it's a software component to the hardware. Or are you trying to program templates with a miniature LCD screen? (I don't remember the specifics.) Perhaps I can download the Editor from Behringer's site (if it exists), and see what you're up against.
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: midi learn preset as "device chain"?? 2005/07/17 14:22:16 (permalink)
    it's all so friging complicated. yet i can turn on my pc and translate through hundreds sometimes thousands of routers and get info from some researcher in prague in m-sec and know nothing about all the communication protocols that were utilized in this event. it was 20 years ago but so was the first drive thru talking sign, both have not changed one bit. 20 something years of development and you still can't communicate through one of those talking signs.
    b rock
    RE: midi learn preset as "device chain"?? 2005/07/17 14:46:31 (permalink)
    the first drive thru talking sign ... 20 something years of development and you still can't communicate through one of those talking signs.
    "KkkkkeeeeeI takkkkkkk yorder, plesssssst"
    "Unnnnh ... one ... No. Two giant dinosaur burgers; some of those curly trilobites: hold the primordial soup, .... mmm, let's see. And a large lava. To go. And super-size it."

'Thhhaaat wazzza lrrrrdddino, sssssfft kkkkly,lllarggerpennkkkk. Do you want kkkssssss rrnnuganga with that???"
    "(Huh?)"

" ........Thatdlllbeee shhhhkkkeesssT cents. Drive through, please."
    "(What did she say ...?) Hey sweetheart? Can you cut the midrange at 1K down about 48dB on this speaker?"

"(Huh?)"
    vinny199
    RE: midi learn preset as "device chain"?? 2005/07/17 16:56:53 (permalink)
    Hi b rock,

Well, since it is my first controller, I have o reference point, so I'm not sure if I'm fair with my comments but my initial impressions / findings are:

- It is well built
    - It feels ok (like the knobs have a nice action etc)

- The software sucks (big time)

I was not even able to import a template BUILT by behringer, the software don't recognize it.
    its quite laughable really.

The big problem with behreinger is that they release far too many products each year to support theor releases properly, and it really feels when it comes to the software side of thing, which is clearly not their strong point.

they should really improve that.

So, I'm not unhappy with my purchase, but I'm not overjoyed either.

When they first launched it, they did not even have a basic editing software, and everything has to be done via SysEx dumps.

Why should a musician need to learn how to build a SysEx file? silly really.

Now they have this editing software, but its very basic and confusing.

Cheers,

Vinny

X1d expanded
    vinny199
    RE: midi learn preset as "device chain"?? 2005/07/17 17:03:56 (permalink)
    re-reading your thread, i see you ask more specifically about the editor itself.

If you want it you can download it from

http://www.behringer.com/05_support/bc_download/bc_downloads.cfm?lang=ENG

It looks alright, like all you need is there, but it is very buggy, plenty of files it doesn't pick up, so confusing when you want to save something etc.

Also, you cannot see a simple text file or print the list of midi controls used in one template.

So when you want to make sure a new template is not using a control from a previous one....no fun.

Anyway, enough moaning.

thanks to you I made a good step forward towards making music again, rather than developing my computer skills!

Cheers,

Vinny

X1d expanded
    b rock
    RE: midi learn preset as "device chain"?? 2005/07/17 21:18:06 (permalink)
    you cannot see a simple text file or print the list of midi controls used in one template. So when you want to make sure a new template is not using a control from a previous one....no fun.
    I hate to say it, but you're going to have to resort to an analog approach: pen & paper. Go to this link and download Table 3. It'll list all of the continuous controller messages and RPNs. If your BCR supports messages other than that, you might have to fashion your own chart, or they might be included in Table 1 or Table 2. Print out the chart(s), and mark off the messages as you program your templates.

While you are there, it's worth poking around the MMA site. There's an extensive general MIDI tutorial there packed with information, and you can find other specific information listed here in the Online Information.
    When they first launched it, they did not even have a basic editing software, and everything has to be done via SysEx dumps. Why should a musician need to learn how to build a SysEx file?
    I hear ya'. I spent nearly a year spinning a Data encoder and ****ing at Novation until they came out with a template editor. It's a godsend, and I can almost say worth the wait. M-Audio has a general editor for all their products; that's a nice step that many manufacturers are now taking. Unfortunately, the Enigma editor is just that ... an enigma.

My mLAN stuff is definitely a work-in-progress; Yamaha just can't seem to get it just right, but they are trying. The 01x works well enough in Sonar and Mackie Control, but the General Remote system that I have to use with P5 utilizes pitchbend messages on various MIDI channels from it's faders. Imagine the wholesome fun that develops when you happen to cross up those connections!

You do have a solid, compact, and versatile unit in the BCR; I almost bought one of those myself. Here's hoping that the soft end catches up with the hardware for you.

Edit: Missed a link.
    post edited by b rock - 2005/07/17 21:24:51
    vinny199
    RE: midi learn preset as "device chain"?? 2005/07/18 08:19:14 (permalink)
    Yes, ticking off the table.
    good thinking.

i'll do that.

Cheers,

Vinny

X1d expanded
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1