VST adapter / Sonar - Anyway to get dupe plugins to list? : SOLVED

Author
Scott Lee
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
2004/02/17 19:50:50 (permalink)

VST adapter / Sonar - Anyway to get dupe plugins to list? : SOLVED

Looking for a way to get the same plugin to list twice with Sonar. For example.

z3ta has a virus modification out. You need to create a copy of the z3ta directory and copy the new files on top of the orginal files. This results in having 2 directories with 2 z3ta.dll files.

You cannot rename z3ta.dll and sonar/vst adaptor does not register 2 of the same named .dll's. Any work arounds ? Thanks.
< Message edited by Scott Lee -- 2/17/2004 11:13:49 PM >

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 
Song Composer / Engineer / Audio Director

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhee

15 Replies Related Threads

ebinary
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: VST adapter / Sonar - Anyways to get dupe plugins to list? 2004/02/17 19:56:34 (permalink)
    I think if you rename the vst version, you can register it again using the vst adapter. There is no way to use e dxi version twice (even if renamed), because it shared the same embedded guid.
    Scott Lee
    RE: VST adapter / Sonar - Anyways to get dupe plugins to list? 2004/02/17 20:01:41 (permalink)
    I think if you rename the vst version, you can register it again using the vst adapter. There is no way to use e dxi version twice (even if renamed), because it shared the same embedded guid.

Ebinary -

ACTUALLY

You CAN do this and I just figured out how you can. Currently I have TWO z3ta.dll registered and Ill tell you how I just figured it out.

go into the registry. goto the new plugin name and change the "uniqueid" up one number. Walla it loads.

best,

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 

ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    RE: VST adapter / Sonar - Anyways to get dupe plugins to list? 2004/02/17 20:03:44 (permalink)
    Just out of curiosity - why does having two folders seem to be a problem? I'm using the DXI, VST and Virus MOD versions of Zeta3+ as well - and they don't really take up much space (I have large HDs). But I think you can't just rename them in the same VST folder because the MOD version uses it's own skin/presets, etc. So you'd probably want to stay with that folder hiearchy. And you have to rename the two DLLs anyway (in case you weren't aware of that).

So I have, as example in my VST listings:
    Zeta3+
    Virus_Zeta3+
    and of course the regular DXi version shows up as a DXi normally.

ORIGINAL: Scott Lee

Looking for a way to get the same plugin to list twice with Sonar. For example.

z3ta has a virus modification out. You need to create a copy of the z3ta directory and copy the new files on top of the orginal files. This results in having 2 directories with 2 z3ta.dll files.

You cannot rename z3ta.dll and sonar/vst adaptor does not register 2 of the same named .dll's. Any work arounds ? Thanks.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Scott Lee
    RE: VST adapter / Sonar - Anyways to get dupe plugins to list? 2004/02/17 20:09:28 (permalink)
    Ya did 2 directories as well BA. The problem was the vst adapter wasnt registering the "two" z3ta.dll files in seperate folders. Working great now.

Best,

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 

ba_midi
    RE: VST adapter / Sonar - Anyways to get dupe plugins to list? 2004/02/17 20:12:06 (permalink)
    Hmm, I didn't have that problem - but I renamed the 2nd dll (as per the instructions for installing the virus mod) and it worked as expected.

Welp, as long as you got it going, that works too :) I prefer seeing the name "Virus_Zeta3+" as opposed to two items with the same name.

Ya did 2 directories as well BA. The problem was the vst adapter wasnt registering the "two" z3ta.dll files in seperate folders. Working great now.

Best,

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ebinary
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: VST adapter / Sonar - Anyways to get dupe plugins to list? 2004/02/17 21:04:00 (permalink)
    ACTUALLY

You CAN do this and I just figured out how you can. Currently I have TWO z3ta.dll registered and Ill tell you how I just figured it out.

Ah yeah, very clever. Just make sure you write that number down and always use it, because it will never auto-register as that GUID. And I think all your patches will be linked to the bogus GUID. Seems a tad dangerous, because I don't know the GUID/Patch mapping rules. I think I'll use the dual vsts :)

Eric
    ba_midi
    RE: VST adapter / Sonar - Anyways to get dupe plugins to list? 2004/02/17 22:08:19 (permalink)
    VERY Good points, Eb:)

ORIGINAL: ebinary

ACTUALLY

Ah yeah, very clever. Just make sure you write that number down and always use it, because it will never auto-register as that GUID. And I think all your patches will be linked to the bogus GUID. Seems a tad dangerous, because I don't know the GUID/Patch mapping rules. I think I'll use the dual vsts :)

Eric

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Scott Lee
    RE: VST adapter / Sonar - Anyways to get dupe plugins to list? 2004/02/17 23:08:56 (permalink)
    I always backup my vst registry key list. Thats a must :)

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 

Scott Lee
    RE: VST adapter / Sonar - Anyways to get dupe plugins to list? 2004/02/17 23:11:03 (permalink)
    I prefer seeing the name "Virus_Zeta3+" as opposed to two items with the same name.

It wasnt this sort of name issue. I had the names as Virusz3ta and z3ta. The problem was having duplicate z3ta.dll and only 1 would register on the list. The uniqueID corrected the issue
    < Message edited by Scott Lee -- 2/17/2004 11:11:38 PM >

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 

ba_midi
    RE: VST adapter / Sonar - Anyways to get dupe plugins to list? 2004/02/18 00:00:24 (permalink)
    How did you have duplicate dll's if you renamed it? I don't get that...

btw, one thing I do to be SURE of things is I go into the VST Adapter Registry entry, find the "Inventory" key and delete it. Then I rerun the adapter. By deleting that key, it gets rid of ALL the VST stuff and starts the search completely fresh. I've had to do this when I've deleted some things. The adapter doesn't seem to *always* recognize deletions, so this 'trick' solves that problem too.

I prefer seeing the name "Virus_Zeta3+" as opposed to two items with the same name.

It wasnt this sort of name issue. I had the names as Virusz3ta and z3ta. The problem was having duplicate z3ta.dll and only 1 would register on the list. The uniqueID corrected the issue

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Scott Lee
    RE: VST adapter / Sonar - Anyways to get dupe plugins to list? 2004/02/18 00:37:10 (permalink)
    btw, one thing I do to be SURE of things is I go into the VST Adapter Registry entry, find the "Inventory" key and delete it.

You would never catch me do this, EVER. All my vst's have custom name folders and doing this would reset everything. I back the inventory list up constantly due to allot of naming work. It works great especially on a reinstall to just click the inventory link and have everything custom once again.

What I recommend is get use to this registry key and delete vst keys that should not still be present. I keep my list up to date.

Best,
    < Message edited by Scott Lee -- 2/18/2004 12:39:20 AM >

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 

ba_midi
    RE: VST adapter / Sonar - Anyways to get dupe plugins to list? 2004/02/18 01:31:57 (permalink)
    I agree that deleting the invidual VST key is probably wiser/better, but since I use pretty standard setups (one VST directory with subdirectories for each or most DLLs, etc), I don't have a problem deleting the Inventory key.

But, yours is still a very good suggestion, Scott.

btw, one thing I do to be SURE of things is I go into the VST Adapter Registry entry, find the "Inventory" key and delete it.

You would never catch me do this, EVER. All my vst's have custom name folders and doing this would reset everything. I back the inventory list up constantly due to allot of naming work. It works great especially on a reinstall to just click the inventory link and have everything custom once again.

What I recommend is get use to this registry key and delete vst keys that should not still be present. I keep my list up to date.

Best,

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Scott Lee
    RE: VST adapter / Sonar - Anyways to get dupe plugins to list? 2004/02/18 01:45:54 (permalink)
    Thanks :) I have allot of vst's from many years now so my list is quite large. I currently have a very neat custom list in Sonar so I keep up with those reg keys often.

Best,

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 

kp
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1496
    RE: VST adapter / Sonar - Anyway to get dupe plugins to list? : SOLVED 2004/02/18 05:44:40 (permalink)
    Quickre/safer way of doing it: the VST adapter uses the 8.3 filename to generate a DX GUID. So, the same filename in 2 different directories will result in the same GUID. But, if you change the 8.3 name (by changing the full filename), then the adapter will generate a new GUID and a duplicate entry in the list.

So, in your case, you could use, for example, z3ta.dll and z3ta_v.dll
    Scott Lee
    RE: VST adapter / Sonar - Anyway to get dupe plugins to list? : SOLVED 2004/02/18 06:33:39 (permalink)
    Quickre/safer way of doing it: the VST adapter uses the 8.3 filename to generate a DX GUID. So, the same filename in 2 different directories will result in the same GUID. But, if you change the 8.3 name (by changing the full filename), then the adapter will generate a new GUID and a duplicate entry in the list.

Yes but not all vsts with .exe needed files will allow .dll name changes. So this is a good alternative.

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1