Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 11
Author
randy
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 261
RE: Could not open device bus(1F) 2006/07/05 22:05:09 (permalink)
What is the error pointing to, is it the firewire port itself?

You can increse the buffer in the multimix control panel, I would have to look but I think mine is set to 1024.

Is it a 1394 port or a 1394b port?

randy
post edited by randy - 2006/07/06 08:58:34
Emachine
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Could not open device bus(1F) 2006/07/08 12:17:57 (permalink)
Randy,
I believe the error is pointing to the port. The error either says "cannot get information from dice bus device (1f)" or it will say "cannot open dice bus device (1f)." Just last night it gave me the same error only this time it was dice bus device (2). I am fairly new to all of this and am not sure of the difference between 1394 and 1394b(is the difference speed or simply the number of pins). However, I do know that the cable is a 6 pin to 4 pin (to acomodate my laptop) and the cable is a week old. Is it possible the cable is not the correct speed? Will that make a differnce? I have updated all of the drivers and firmware. I have tried setting my lattencey to almost every option given including 1024. I have disabled anything that might interfer with the connection such as antivirus, firewall, internet, bluetooth, and set everything to the background service. The only thing i can think of that could still be affecting it would be the windows sp2, Is this a possibility? If so, what do i need to get to fix or rather update sp2? Cubase always recognizes the 16 channels, but usually lists the status of connectivity as pending and i have to manually designate channel inputs. Maybe it is just cubase but i just recently purchased sx3 and am getting the same problem i had with sx. Lastly, would the other sound cards interfere with the multimix possibly causing the problem?(I wouldn't think so).
randy
RE: Could not open device bus(1F) 2006/07/08 13:21:03 (permalink)
As I understand it the difference between 1394 and 1394b is the speed - 1394 is 400 - 1394b is 800.

The cable shouldn't be bad, but I have seen stranger things. There are two firewire ports on the back of the multimix, have you tried them both? The 6 to 4 pin cable is for a laptop, a6 to 6 pin is to receive power from a desktop motherboard.

Look in the device manager to see which firewire port you have. If it is a 1394b then there is a Windows update for XP that increases the speed back to where it should be. There is a link in this thread to it. If it is a 1394 port then you don't need it.

Disable the onboard sound card through the device manager. Or in the BIOS if you can get into it.

Post back

randy

I have never loaded Cubase that came with it, I have always used Sonar.

Check for an IRQ conflect while you are in Device Manager or in the System Info.
post edited by randy - 2006/07/08 13:44:08
Emachine
RE: Could not open device bus(1F) 2006/07/09 00:52:31 (permalink)
Randy,

The 1394 port is a texas instruments ohci 1394 bus host controller. I am assuming that this is simplly a 1394 port and not a 1394b. I looked at the irq and i am not sure how to change any settings or even what to change the sttings to. However i did find a patch n windows that is supposed to fix the sp2 problem that effects 1394 interruptions that are operrating at 400 mbps i wont know until later on sunday if this helped but, I will post back and let you know. Thanks

Emachine
randy
RE: Could not open device bus(1F) 2006/07/09 08:15:06 (permalink)
How long do you record before you get the error?
How many tracks at a time?

randy

They seemed to have updated their troubleshooting on their support page.
Try this link, it is at the bottom of the page.
http://www.alesis.com/support.php?cat=MultiMix%20FireWire%20Mixers
post edited by randy - 2006/07/09 08:55:30
Emachine
RE: Could not open device bus(1F) 2006/07/10 01:07:43 (permalink)
Randy,

The patch that i installed seems to do the trick (my fingers will remain crossed for a bit). Eiher that or the configuration of changes and devices i disabled or a combination of the two. Anyway i was able to record 6 tracks flawlessley. Everything just felt solid and stable hopfully it remains. Just out of curiosity... How many tracks have you been able to record at the same time with a lateney of 1024? I am hopping to be able to record 8-10. Anyway, thanks for your help. very much appreciated.

Emachine
randy
RE: Could not open device bus(1F) 2006/07/10 08:27:03 (permalink)
I have recorded up to 8, I think may have been 6. It was a test mainly to see what the multimix would do, didn't have any problems though.

Why don't you list the changes that you made here, that way it might be a help to others.

I bought a firewire cable the other day for a back up, I am going to record a choir in a couple of weeks and wanted to be prepared. I looked at it last night, the description says that it complies with IEEE1394 standards and lists the data transfer as 400Mbps. Might check yours to see what it says.

randy
Looney
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Could not open device bus(1F) 2006/07/11 20:50:45 (permalink)
Hello All, I been following this post and at one time I had the MultiMixer 16 working on a "Dell Inspiron 9300", or I should say at least one time I did. Well, I went to do some recording today and seems Win XP sp2 reads the drivers for a few seconds then looses them. That is, the playback from winamp works for a few seconds then gets all choppy and statticky. I did the uninstall and re install several times but with no luck. I tried disableing the stepping on the Pentium M cpu, no luck. Have I missed something from earlier postings that might help me? Is there a solution to my problem or do I call Alesis and complain? I bought the MultiMixer off of E-Bay so there's no returning it. Can some one help please?
Thanks,
Looney
Emachine
RE: Could not open device bus(1F) 2006/07/11 23:40:57 (permalink)
Looney,

To solve the problem i was having i went to windows update and downlaoded update for windows (KB885222) and rebooted. I then disabled these things before plugging in the multimix:
1.) anti virus
2.) Windows firewall
3.) Device Manager
1.) 1394 Net adapter
2.) wireless network connection
3.) Texas instrments pcixx12cardbus controller
4.) SDA standard compliant SD host controller
5.) Bluetooth Audio
6.) Bluetooth high Quality Audio
7.) Conexant High Definition Audio (enable first before bluetooth audios)

Iam not sure if all of this really needs to be disabled. I do plan to go back and find out ecactly what interferes and what does not.(ran out of time). You might just need the update.

Emachine
Looney
RE: Could not open device bus(1F) 2006/07/13 17:27:23 (permalink)
Thank you Emachine, Seems that it was the "WIFI" causing the unstableness of the MultMixer drivers. It's working pretty much as it is suppose to. I do get a lot of "snap, crackel, pop", while utilizing the WDM drivers. The ASIO drivers are nice and quite. So I will have to do with what I got untill Alesis comes up with something better. Thanks to every one who posted.
Looney
gmcstea
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire 2006/07/21 20:13:51 (permalink)
Hi guys. I am new around here but have been watching for a while and your posts helped me get rid of all the bugs with my multimix 16 firewire mixer. Anyway I finally got it running perfect yesterday and now a new problem....the mixer has died. I was recording with the desk and an error window came up in cubase to say it couldnt find the desk. I decided to power cycle the mixer and that should solve the glitch. I powered it down...went to power it up again and it was dead. The desk and power source seemed to be very VERY HOT. Please help...I am going out of my mind. Could I have a faulty power adapter or maybe just blown a fuse? PLEASE PLEASE HELP.
andymcwonder
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire problems 2006/08/20 11:05:09 (permalink)
Just wonderin if anyone can shed any light on the problems i've been having with my desk.

I bought the multimix16 cos it looked a good deal, and my system specs were compatible.
It first turned up without a power supply, so i got them to send one to me. After about an hour of playing around and setting it up, my PC (i know.......i need a mac really!) would no longer recognise the desk. All drivers were working correctly, and my firewire port was tested with a DV camera, and this worked ok.
Call Alesis (again!), who say i will have to mail it back to them so their techie's can fix it (£50 down the drain). Since then i haven't had much time to put it into proper use, as, being a student i am trying to work my ass off to earn enough cash to back to uni.
However, of the three times i have used it, it is flippin AMAZING! My PC chuggs along recording 16 simultaneous tracks, and it still manages to keep a fairly "analog" sound.
I'm dead chuffed. But yesteday, i fully booted up the PC, waited for XP to load, but i had the same problem, i could not get my system to recognise the desk. All drivers are ok, all ports are functioning. I've noticed, when the desk is first powered up, after a second or so, the level meters flash up for a second. This, i'm assuming is the firewire software in the desk loading, as my PC won't recongise anything 'til this has been done. Once the desk has "booted", the PC pops up and informs me that it has found the desk ok.
I mailed/called/pestered Alesis, who tell me i am correct. The desk needs to "boot" before the mac/PC will recognise it. I ask them if there is a master reset procedure ( sometimes you can switch on the power whilst holding down a button and it will take you to a menu, or reset - but the only thing i seem to be able to do is to hold down the FX select button whilst turning it on, and that does b**ger all, just says "1.0" on the display instead of the usual "00"). Once again, i have packed up the desk, and mailed it back to Alesis ( another £50).
If anyone has experienced a similar problem, or if anyone knows how to get around this problem, i would really appreciate some help, cos i can't afford to keep sending it back.
Failing that, sell it and buy the Phonic version ( feedback welcome...!!!).

Cheers peeps! Keep it real.
post edited by andymcwonder - 2006/08/21 06:18:50
randy
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire problems 2006/08/27 08:14:13 (permalink)
Just wondering do you unplug the power supply when you are not using the MultiMix? I do not leave mine pluged in when not in use.
The FX select button is just what it says it is. It selects what FX you want to use with the MultiMix.

randy
andymcwonder
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire problems 2006/08/28 10:51:15 (permalink)
hey randy

yeah i always safely remove the device from the system, then turn the power off at the console, and then finally when PC has shut down, i turn off the power at the mains.
I have always been careful to power up/down the FW16 in the correct order so i don't fry any circuitry. So far Alesis have not helped me at all:

TheEngineer 6/22/2006
Do not be cheap when buying audio gear.
Do not bother calling Alesis for tech support.

They have not managed to shed any light on the problem, and it appears as if they are unwilling to explain why, after having made three amazing recordings of about 20-25 mins each, my desk has packed up.

I don't know if I am correct or not, but i get the feeling that Alesis are trying to cover-up their product defects, so as to keep it quiet from the public eye.
Are they aware of this forum? Have they not twigged that after the thousands of calls/emails they receive from cheesed-off FW16 owners, it's time to try something different?
Sorry you'll have to exuse me....i'm a tad frustrated, but thanks for getting back to me Randy. As some other dude wrote this forum is the best thing ever.

Suggestion for Alesis: Get rid of your tech support dept! Direct new customers here instead! They can expect faster, more friendly service, and the occasional answer!! AND WE HAVE SMILEYS!!!

randy
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire problems 2006/08/29 09:37:36 (permalink)
The order that I use (might not make any difference) is to remove the device from the system, turn off PC, turn off the MultiMix and then turn off the power at the main.

Sorry that things are not going well, post back if you need more help.

randy
wystan
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire problems 2006/08/31 00:32:28 (permalink)
Hi all.

I have a home studio using Sonar 5 Producer. I bought a Multimix8 Firewire a couple of months ago purely for recording drums. But, like so many here, I've run into a problem. First, I've had to use the ASIO driver settings to get the thing to record with out the popping. I fooled around with the latency setting, but that didn't do a thing. The ASIO setting worked fine, as long as I set the recording to 48k. Which it calls for, I think. Anyway, I've got my guitar, bass and vocal tracks humming along and the drummer is playing and the Multimix is recording 5 simultainous tracks without a hitch. Well, so the drummer flubbs a crash or something, and stops, and I undo recording. No problem. So the drummers ready, I hit record again, and it's like Sonar kicks into high gear and starts zipping across the tracks in a digital screech. I hit stop, undo recording, and hit record again, and get the same thing. Once this happens, there's nothing to do but shut down Sonar, which of course, doesn't want to be shut down. It just sits there, so I ctrl>alt>delete at this point, and soon get the familier error message regarding sonar.exe, and do I want to send report etc...etc.. When the unit works, it works well. We recorded several takes after one such shut down, and just when this drummer was about to nail it, Sonar acted up and we just called it a night.

I've updated the Multimix8. I've not called their tech support, which is apparently a waste of time. So I was wondering if anyone here has had this particular problem. There is a setting in the ASIO panel that refers to Kernal (Sonar), which I made sure was checked. That seemed to help, but just when I thought that had solved the problem, it got hyper on me again. It's like Sonar just locks up. You can't even play the tracks when this happens, much less record. It just reverts back to digital noise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wystan

Intel Pentium D 3.0 GHz processor
2048 MB DDR2 ram
Windows Media Center Edition 2005 (all updates current)
3 firewire ports, but I'm not sure if they are "a" or "b".
pmind.com
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire problems 2006/09/02 14:23:56 (permalink)
Hey guys, first time poster.

I'm using Adobe Audition as my audio recorder, but I don't think that makes a difference in my case.

Funny enough, I went through all six pages and I haven't experienced any of the trouble everyone else has. My MultiMix 8 FireWire worked great, out of the box, plug and play (after installing drivers), I can turn it off and on and off and on and Audition and Windows will show the mixer appearing and dissapearing and yadda yadda yadda. Everything works great, it sends simultaneous tracks to the computer and it's awesome.

Except. The mixer seems to be rediculously sensitive and loud. Before I bought this mixer, I had a Behringer Eurorack UB802, a crappy little $50 mixer. I plugged it's analog output into the Creative X-Fi in the computer, hit record in Audition, loud sounds were loud quiet sounds were quiet. Well, I plugged this MultiMix in, armed some tracks for recording and recorded myself talking into the mic, Audition's levels barely registered anything at all. Wierd, I thought, so I played the .wav back with the computer's speakers, some Klipsch Pro Medias, and you could barely hear me talking unless you turned the speakers up. I set Audition to playback to the mixer, and the sound was great, full and loud. I exported the raw audio to an .mp3, and the levels were so low that the .mp3 at 64kbps was silent.

Strange, I thought. So I loaded a .wav that had been previously recorded into Audition, and the levels were full but not peaking. Played them back on the Klipsches connected to the X-Fi. Sounded fine. Played it back in the MultiMix and nearly blew my ears off (I was wearing headphones plugged into the phones out with the Hdph/Ctrl Rm pot dead center.

Thinking maybe it was Audition, I loaded Skype. Connected to my roommate's computer and through the Klipsches from the X-Fi, he sounded fine. Coming out of the mixer, deafening. I had to turn the Windows system volume to one pixel above mute for it to be bearable. However, the Windows system volume only controls other stuff like Skype. It doesn't affect Audition's output to the mixer.

So I wrote Alesis an e-mail, trying to explain as best I could. Their response?

"I am glad to hear you are using Adobe Audition. That is my favorite multitrack recorder. You may want to have monitors connected to the Main mix outputs for better control of the signals when recording and playing back."

So I plugged the Klipsch Pro Media speakers into the left Main Mix Out jack, and it seemed marginally, marginally softer, but that might have been because it was only coming out of one speaker so I can't even be sure. I wrote him back trying to clarify, saying:

"Well, I guess what I'm asking is that, is there any way to "synchronize" the relative levels of the mixer and Audition? When I'm playing something in Audition, that sounds fine when monitored through the speakers connected to the computer, if I have those levels sent to the mixer and monitor that with headphones or speakers connected to the mixer, it's insanely loud. If I play something from the computer that sounds good on the mixer, the levels are extremely low in Audition and if I mix that down to an .mp3 it makes a silent .mp3 because of how low the levels were, even though they sounded great coming out of the mixer. It seems like the relative volume of the mixer is rediculously high compared to the computer.

To respond to your suggestion, whether or not the monitor speakers are connected through the main out or the phones out or the ctrl room out, the levels coming out of the mixer are super super loud."

He wrote back:

"Unfortunately there wouldn’t be a way on the mixer to even out the levels though you could adjust the individual tracks and master volume in Audition’s mixer until the signal is at proper levels."

So, I've just written back to him:

"What I'm saying is, when the signal is at proper levels in Audition, it is deafeningly loud coming out of the mixer. Like, take a different program. I use Skype. When I connect to Skype and have Skype use the computer's sound card as output, voices from Skype are at a normal volume. When I set Skype to use the mixer as it's output, it's orders of magnitude louder. The mixer's output is extremely, extremely loud. There has to be a way to reconsile this. To get Skype to a normal level, I have to turn the Windows system volume to one pixel above mute and the mixer's output volume is just bearable. If you look at the image at www.pmind.com/volume.gif so you can see what I mean.

Also the image at www.pmind.com/audition.gif shows an example of a waveform that is extremely loud when played back to the mixer. You can see even the highest peaks in the waveform are nowhere near peaking, but when this sample is played back and monitored from the mixer, it almost clips.

Any ideas?"

I apologize for the wall of text in my first post here, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. Also, I realize I'm a huge n00b. I realize this question might be extremely stupid for two reasons: 1. either it's so freaking simple an issue I'm an idiot for not figuring it out myself or 2. it's so complicated an issue I'm an idiot for thinking it could be one issue when really it's 13 or 14 things I've set wrong, and I'm so simple-minded I thought one forum post could handle it.

Anyhow... any ideas?
keechotune
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire problems 2006/09/02 18:30:53 (permalink)
Hey. A newbee to the forum, but I'm having the same problems. I'm running Sonar 3 Studio and have had absolutely no problems using an M-Audio Audiophile (firewire) I/O unit. I just got Multimix 12 firewire. While it does EXACTLY what I need it to do, I had the same issues as you described.

1. Could not get it to work very well with WMD drivers .

2. It defaulted to Asio drivers and while it works ok, it doesn't have all the input options of the WMD.

3. Also it's very unstable. After a while, it causes Sonar to totally freeze up and I have to reboot.

4. When shutting down the pc, the Sonar.exe remains running and needs to shut down separately before I can power off.

I did call Alesis and they said it was a Sonar problem.

Let me know if you've found any solutions. I'm thinking maybe an upgrade to 5 or 6 might be helpful.

Keecho Tune
bvideo
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1707
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire problems 2006/09/02 22:42:02 (permalink)
wystan
Maybe I can help with a workaround for this one. I believe it is a Sonar problem related to multiple CPUs. My machine has a Pentium D also. The weird fast playback can be easily reproduced after hitting play and stop a few times. The connection to the asio driver panel hangs too. My workaround is to open the task manager and assign Cakewalk to CPU 1. That way, it is like running Cakewalk on a single CPU. In every other way, my setup runs OK, using the current Alesis asio drivers. But I wish alesis and cakewalk would get together on this problem.
I emailed tech support for both Alesis and Cakewalk 6 months ago, received helpful-sounding responses, but there has been no software fix of any kind. I mainly use Home Studio 4, but Sonar 5 demo has a similar problem. I don't have any other multiprocessor-aware audio software at present to find out for sure who is to blame.

Details:
1 start cakewalk
2 open the task manager [ ctrl-alt-del]
3 click on the "processes" tab
4 right-click the SONAR... process and choose "set affinity"
5 there is a set of checkboxes for CPU 0 and CPU 1. I uncheck CPU 0, and keep CPU 1
6 close the task manager
Unfortunately, these steps are necessary every time you start Sonar (unless you can code a helper program that will start up Cakewalk for you with the CPU affinity already set).

Hope this helps.
Bill B.
cjlinus
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 446
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire problems 2006/09/02 23:17:17 (permalink)
Hey everyone,

I found this thread a couple of days ago. I've had some issues as well with the MultiMix but I think I've found most of the fixes thruogh this thread, trial and error and (somewhat)Alesis/Cakewalk tech support. I had to buy a PCMCIA Firewire card so that I could use the 6x6 cable, this seemed to make the biggest differece. I know that some of you guys are using the 4 pin on your laptops but I noticed that I wasn't having the trouble on my home pc that I've had with my laptop so, for me it's the card and 6 pin all the way. ALLWAYS check to make sure that the Multi mix and the recording software are set to the same bit rate. For some reason my MultiMix control panel sometimes gets reset to 48, maybe I changed it and forgot but regardless, this is where the trouble is if you try and record and it stops by itself. This is also what is probably causing the playback to go hyperspace, if you've heard it you know what I mean. As far as installation goes, DO NOT hook up your mixer until you've installed the latest drivers. I know that this advice is simplistic and it will not fix all the different issues I've read about in this thread but it has helped get my system up and running. I recorded a band last night in a session that lasted about 2 hours and the system worked fine.

As for those of you that have selected to return your mixers, your helping every one else when you post accurate information with a detailed description of your attempts to get the mixer to work. Your not helping anyone when all you do is whine about how you think you got ripped off. We all know how pissed off you are because we've been pulling out our hair too but griping about the tech support center doesn't help much. By the way when I called Alesis they are the ones that told me the've had problems with the drivers and the 6x4 cables.

Randy, Thanks for the post, What settings do you select regarding WMD, Kernelling etc? I deselected WMD and use only ASIO drivers and am now quite pleased with the performance of both my Guitar Tracks 3 and MultiMix.

When I was a kid we had to use Portastudios, uphill! both ways!!

Listen to my songs here
randy
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire problems 2006/09/03 09:56:23 (permalink)
cjlinus,
I will look at the settings in the laptop that I use as well as my desktop and post back.
Give me a little while, your suggestion about detailed description and attempts is good. This type of info is what makes things work out for the better.

I recently did a session that lasted over 4 hours, constantly stoping and starting everything went well. So I know that the mixer will work.

randy
bvideo
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1707
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire problems 2006/09/03 11:40:42 (permalink)
cjlinus,
I am very interested in this hyperspace playback thing (my workaround is sad because it makes Cakewalk work w/ only one CPU). You say you had the problem on your laptop, not your desktop, then fixed it by adding a pcmcia card. Now I am curious - do you know what 1394 chips, hence drivers, are in those three scenarios (1-desktop, 2-laptop, 3-pcmcia card)? In my case, the chipset is TI OHCI compliant 1394a. The connector on mine is 6-pin, but ... hyperpspace playback anyway.
Thanks,
Bill B.
randy
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire problems 2006/09/03 21:28:16 (permalink)
Hope this works, pictures of MultiMix Control Panel and of settings in Sonar. (Laptop & Desktop)

randy

The host that I posted the pictures on is working on their site, if they do not show up in a day or two I will do something else. Anyone use a different host than picturetrunk.com?

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k83/randystarks/DesktopMultiMixControlPanel.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k83/randystarks/DesktopSonarAudioOptionsAdvanced.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k83/randystarks/DesktopSonarAudioOptionsGeneral.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k83/randystarks/LaptopMultiMixControlPanel.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k83/randystarks/LaptopSonarAudioOptionsAdvanced.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k83/randystarks/LaptopSonarAudioOptionsGeneral.jpg
post edited by randy - 2006/09/05 09:10:53
keefykeef
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire problems 2006/09/04 06:57:38 (permalink)
Hi I'm a newb, looking for help with my multimix too.

I've had so many problems, and the forum has helped so much (and Alesis technical support has not!). I am unfortunately in the UK so haven't been able to speak to them by phone but their emails have been very scarse and very slow!

The first problem I had was with my firewire card. I purchased a new TI one, and can now record without it skipping (which was my first problem).

I have a PC and a Laptop. The PC was built for recording music and the laptop for browsing the internet, they're both of similar spec. (1gb RAM, 40Gb SATA Hard Drive, AMD 2800 processor, Service Pack 2, NET Framework 1.1 etc.).

Strangely, everything works perfectly and as it should do on my laptop (4 pin firewire) but not on my PC (6 pin firewire).

The problem I have on my PC is playback, recording is now fine.

On my PC, I've set it up with exactly the same settings as my laptop, hoping it would work. I've tried in both modes (WDM and ASIO). In ASIO, it won't play at all (just freezes when I click "play"), and in WDM, it works for a while but then it just stops, and it'll only start playing again when I go in to the Multimix control panel and either click "Set Clock Master" or change one of the other settings and then change it back. Then it works fine for a few seconds, and then it just stops again etc...

Very frustrating, and very strange - how can it work on my laptop but not on my PC when they're both configured the same?

I bought my Multimix on ebay so cannot return for a refund. Am desperately hoping I can get it to work as it should.

I would like to help any others that have problems out there with this product as far as I can, as I've been fiddling with it for a week and learnt a bit!

I'm using Acid Pro 6.0 for recording

Many Thanks
Keith
randy
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire problems 2006/09/04 12:39:31 (permalink)
Keith sent you this reply.

Hi Keith, always good to hear from other Sonar users. I posted some pictures
in the thread of the MultiMix control panel and Sonar's audio options
(Laptop and Desktop). The only thing was the host I used, picturetrunk.com
is expanding their site and didn't show up last night.

I am going to attach them to this email so you can look at them maybe they
will help you out. The settings are a little different for the Laptop and
Desktop, I never really noticed that till now. Hope this is a help.

Just a thought, but make sure that in Sonar the template you use is set to
the same settings as the MultiMix Control Panel. I record in 48hz and 24bit.
If Sonar is not set the same as the MultiMix Control Panel then Sonar will
freeze, these settings have to be the same as the ones that you used to
record the project with. You need to change it in Sonar's Audio settings
before you load a project, you will also have to close Sonar and open it
again before the settings will take effect.

randy
cjlinus
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire problems 2006/09/04 19:39:18 (permalink)
Randy,

Thanks for posting the settings, I hope they show up soon. I'm kind of wondering if alot of the problems people are having are related to not having the MultiMix control pannel and Sonar/Acid/GuitarTracks settings the same. I am wondering if you leave the WMD box checked and if you've used the Sonar specific settings as described by Alesis. Is there any advantage you know of with using kernel streaming?

Bill,

Please check and make sure that both the mixer and Cakewalk are set the same. The problems I've seen with both recording and playback seem to be related to the settings not matching.

Listen to my songs here
randy
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire problems 2006/09/05 09:01:23 (permalink)
Ok, went to another host. Try the links, they are working for me. If there is a problem post back and let me know.

randy
wystan
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire problems 2006/09/05 20:06:28 (permalink)
Hi Bill.

Thanks for your suggestion. For now it seems to have worked. I set up the same song and recorded four simultaineous drum tracks. I recorded, erased, and re-recorded 20 or 25 times just to test it. It never missed a beat. The fact that I was using only one half of the CPU didn't seem to affect it other than I decided to turn off any realtime effects (Waves) that I had on vocals. There did seem to be more of a strain on the usage. Other than that, I didn't have a problem. One other thing. Before I got your post, I decided to check for updates on the alesis, and there was an update 1.04 I think, that I hadn't installed. That update was primarily geared toward Multimix 12 and 16, but I installed it anyway. Well, it went through its found new hardware routine three times like before. Shortly after, I found your post and did as you suggested. I don't know that the update was relevant, but I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks again.

Wystan

post edited by wystan - 2006/09/05 21:17:37
cjlinus
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire problems 2006/09/05 20:38:53 (permalink)
Randy,

My settings are slightly different than yours. I've decided to mainly use 44.1/16 because for what I'm doing bumping up sample rate won't matter much. I have unchecked WDM on the control panel. I can't quite figure out what that applies to but my mixer is using so I'm going to leave it that way.
Do you have the 12 or 16 channel? I'm recording small rock band demo kinds of stuff now and am wondering if the extra buss would give me an advantage I don't have now. What kinds of projects are you working on. Actually that question is open to anyone. Please comment.

Listen to my songs here
randy
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire problems 2006/09/06 09:12:37 (permalink)
cjlinus, I bought the 16 channel but have only used 8 at one time. I recorded a choir back in July lasted a little over 4 hours, stopped started deleated tracks but no problems during the recording.

I think the same as you on the settings thing, people need to make sure they are the same for the Multimix control panel as they are for their recording program, whatever they use. I started using a Delta 44 card and learned this pretty quick from experance with it and reminders from others here.

About the only thing I change in the MultiMix control panel is the buffer size and the sample rate, but if it is not set the same as Sonar then I have a problem.

I usually do acoustic guitar, vocals stuff like that.

Sometimes its is nice to have someone to look at your problem, they may have already had the same thing happen to them. Sometimes a fresh idea about a problem is all you need.

randy
post edited by randy - 2006/09/06 09:28:42
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 11
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1