Helpful Reply[Posted Dec 2003] Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar?

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Guyunique
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 315
2005/12/03 13:58:52 (permalink)

[Posted Dec 2003] Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar?

I have never used any other DAW/Software since I started using Sonar but I am just curious as to why "almost" every hit record/Album you look at today will give credit to Pro-tools as the DAW/Software used to record the abulm.

1. Is it because Sonar is exclusively PC based?
2. Is it because Cakewalk does not have hardware interface exclusively designed for Sonar?
3. Is it because Cakewalk products does not cost $200.000.00?
4. Is it because Cakewalk as a company is not giving/shoving free products down the throats of pro/engineers/producers?

What's your thought or reasons? Like I said I have not used Pro-tools exclusively but would like to understand.

Lets discuss people.

Patrick...Minnesota

This is an old thread from 2003.
post edited by Wookiee - 2015/09/19 11:50:05
ooblecaboodle
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2102
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/03 14:55:47 (permalink)
I know of a few people who call any DAW "protools", it's kinda like people calling a vacum cleaner a "hoover"

anyway, a few reasons to answer your question...
Protools was the first to market as a professional solution, and it has grown in popularity (notoriety?) ever since
Protools offers insane expandability through DSP farms, large format integrated consoles like the Icon, or Venue.
It has become so prevalent that it is pretty much an industry standard
and when protools goes wrong, you phone one guy, not a load of companies who's products are assembled to build a DAW rig.
Protools can guarantee a particlar number of audio tracks for a given set-up.
Protools also have very low latency (VERY VERY low) monitoring, advanced synchronisation options, etc etc etc.

It has nothing to do with PCs Vs macs. Most big PT rigs I know of are PC-based. indeed, they're going to have to be now, because the new macs don't support PCI cards, which makes them completely and totally incompatable with current protools hardware!

However, I personally find the editing in it to be far inferior to sonar, which is why I mainly use a Sonar set up to edit our multitracks - however, we usually work with 12 to 48 tracks, not the hundreds and hundreds that can be accomodated on a PT system.
post edited by ooblecaboodle - 2005/12/03 14:56:31
daverich
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3418
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/03 15:09:36 (permalink)
But - protools doesn't have delay compensation.

all that $$$$$ and you need to use sampleslide-type plugs ;)

:D

Kind regards

Dave Rich

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
stratton
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1446
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/03 15:15:12 (permalink)
anyway, a few reasons to answer your question...

I think you nailed it, ooble.
BruceEnnis
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1665
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/03 15:15:51 (permalink)
But - protools doesn't have delay compensation.

Protools LE does not have delay compensation but PT TDM does have that feature.

Bruce Ennis
Studio
eikelbijter
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1002
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/03 15:32:54 (permalink)
Because people are sheep!

Rico

Xeon E3-1231V3, 16GB RAM, 480GB 840EVO SSD, MOTU 2480MK3, 424PCI w/ Sonar Platinum
Dell XPS 18, i5, 12GB RAM, 500GB SSD+128GB SSD, Roland VS-100 w/ Sonar Platinum

Dell XPS 13, i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB 840EVO SSD, Zoom UAC-2, Sonar Platinum

http://www.RicoBelled.com/

Guyunique
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/03 16:27:12 (permalink)
Well, I wasn't making a statement with my post, I was asking questions. One thing I do agree with is the fact that when something goes wrong with your Pro-tools setup, you don't have to call bunch of companies, just Digidesign.

I heard that Pro-tools has a better sounding engine and better audio editing features, true?

Just about every hit record today, say most give credit to Pro-tools.

Sonar is okay but not as popular.

Is Pro-tools not a DAW? What is it "ooblecaboodle" please educate me.

Patrick....Minnesota
glazfolk
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5253
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/03 16:48:05 (permalink)
Is Pro-tools not a DAW? What is it "ooblecaboodle" please educate me.

I suspect that what ooblecaboodle may have meant by that was that Pro Tools have succeeded within a large sector of the market in identifying their brand name with the generic product - that many people see the terms "Pro Tools" and "DAW" as synonymous, like Hoover and vacuume Cleaner, or Biro and ballpoint pen or (cover your ears if offended!) Durex and condom (well here down under anyway).

Of course Pro Tools is a DAW, but not the only one. It's about hype, successful marketing in a largely uneducated market place. I still get some potential clients who ask me if I have a Pro Tools Studio, though not nearly as many as a few years ago. For years I have had a prehistoric PC with Win 98 and Pro Tools Free sitting on it that is kept purely so that I could truthfully answer "Yes" to that question and not lose the business at the first hurdle. Of course I don't use it ... and I've never had one that's eventually walked out the door dissatisfied with what we've produced with Sonar.

Best
Geoff
Mully
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1545
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/03 16:55:02 (permalink)
Dunno if it helps answer your question or not but the only times I've come close to jumping to PT (and there have been a few) have been due to hardware issues (not exactly CW's fault). The hunt for a fully functioning controller in Sonar is a struggle and we have to typically settle for emulation modes. Go to PT and you have a range of impressive and dedicated hardware solutions.

The strength of Sonar as an audio package over PT LE is I think now well established so it's time to get on with it and get a Mackie Control which I believe is certainly the most viable controller interface available with a view towards full functionality... but I can bet there will be 'some' limitations.

If there is a shortcoming from CW's side of the fence in this regard, it would be lack of support of the various controllers that we would all like to use (Radikal as an example). Maybe they are dreaming something up with Roland? Time will tell because it is an area they need to address I believe. The amount of Sonar users that spend time coding is staggering... a crazy diversion of creative time (even if it is enjoyable sometimes).

Cheers!

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
musicdawg
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 98
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/03 17:00:32 (permalink)
yeah, hand me a KLEENEX (tissue) to clean up the COKE (could be orange soda!) and dont getcher JOCKEYS (er..FruitoftheLooms) in a bunch. I agree w OODLE - they pulled off a great marketing techinique by naming their product the generic name of any Professional Tools. Years ago, Dbase a database system ,did a similar trick (sorry if there is any allusion to any other "profession"), and when they released their version 1.00 they simply called it dBase II. RESULT: MAD RUSH for all the clueless corporate executives to make sure THEIR company had the newest toys! Not to mention, they immediately had the largest installed/established customer base. Not to fear. IBM once stuck up their noses at the "personal computer". Is Bill Gates laughing all the way to the bank? SONAR has POWER/PRICE ratio that will keep it on the leading edge

..i've heard THAT one b4..
...at www.myspace.com/donniemartin
Guyunique
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/03 17:22:34 (permalink)
I plan on using Pro-tools M Power since I already have the 1814FW from M-Audio.
For now my FW1814 is picking up dust until I can get Pro-tools M-Power.
Maybe if I get cash coming out of my nose then I'll buy Digi 002 Rack but for now it's all Sonar. Like I said I have been using Sonar4.4 and have never looked back. I installed Cubase SX 3 But quickly uninstalled it, the controls are like a croweded train.

The only reason I'm getting Pro-tools is for the sake of having it and knowing it, nothing else.
I was once coming out my Studio when I met a guy standing outside the building, he asked me for a lift, I was scared but felt a little comfortable when he spoke with an African accent, he was from the Republic of Kenya.

He got in the car and I was playing a song I had just finished recording on Sonar4.4, he asked me whose the artist, and where he could get the CD and that he loved the song, he had no idea I was a musician, nor I had a Studio in the building.

I told him I was the artist and he was very suprised. He told me the sound was very professional and asked how long have I been doing music. My point is this, the average listener will not know/care what platform you use as long as they like the overall material.
I doubt people will go to music store buying albums because they were made with Pro-tools/Sonar.

Patrick...Minnesota.
thunderkyss
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1207
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/03 20:28:31 (permalink)
Sonar will never compete with Pro-Tools.......does that mean you can't do the same work in Sonar??

no.....

PT, is hardware......the software was an after thought. It's pretty much the same as the PC vs. Apple thing. Apple is a hardware company, competing with hardware manufacturers........ Microsoft is the smart one. Microsoft figured out that the money is in Software........

PT, is still dirt cheap, and the bang for the buck champ, when you look at it from a hardware P.O.V.
Pro Tools|HD 2 Accel
US List Price: $10,995
Pro Tools|HD 2 Accel includes the HD Core card and an HD Accel card, offering more than four times the mixing and processing power of HD 1 systems, support for 64 channels of I/O*, plus guaranteed support for up to 192 simultaneous audio tracks with no stress on the computer. Expanding the system's dedicated processing power and I/O capacity is as easy as adding additional HD Accel cards**.

A Yamaha O2R, lists for $10,200.........Only has 56 channels, I don't think you can get 64Inputs into it, and you only get 4 stereo processors, that run a finite number of effects. The software that comes with the O2R, doesn't come close to the free stuff you get with the PT stuff.

John Page
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 672
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/03 20:48:23 (permalink)
It's about hype, successful marketing in a largely uneducated market place

Dammmmmmmm.....You just insulted about 90% of the pro engineers
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/03 21:02:29 (permalink)
Err... agreed with all of that.

The aspect that most pro-tools evangelists mention and that helps their dominance in the professional market is that tight integration with their own hardware. While there are contrary theories out there now, the prevailing sense is that pro-tools is stable and widely accepted because of it. Since other DAW software sits on top of a regular system, or a setup that can be variable and unstable, protools has dedicated hardware and a "rock solid" stability.

I don't know enough about it to deny the claim, but I'd suspect it to be relatively true. Digidesign has had time and support to make sure their stuff is solid, and have been able to rely on their own architecture for improvements and enhancements. Plus, it's widespread usage allows portability and acceptance.

Most people that knock protools these days point directly at it's lackluster MIDI tools, it's functionality more geared towards post-production than creation. This is why they've had to work extra hard after arriving late to the pro-sumer market with the Mbox. I think this is accurate. Plus, it's catch-22 about the dedicated hardware means it's price point and proprietary plugin architecture is a cost barrier to the younger, project studio-type. I think this part is great, because it does allow companies like Cakewalk to bring products like Pro-Audio/Sonar up to pro-level features along with a generation of WRITER/producer/engineers who can now achieve protools like quality with their own goodie-bags of sonic wizardry.

I dont' mind that protools is the big kid in the pro market, I think more and more sound people are willing to be blown away by something made entirely on some "esoteric" system. The emphasis now is on light and fast creation and release, and really every DAW platform has enough users and power-users to support anybody who's making a pro-level release or production capacity.

I think the next big tech barrier will be allowing plugins to get "debriefed" by one another. In this way I could bring my Sonar session with a Sonitus compressor into a protools session and the protools compressor will be able to say "Oh, I see you're using a ratio of 5:1 with a -18dB threshold and makeup gain, okay I'll do that too." I think as we approach the ability for software to more accurately listen and "replicate" sound, the difference with a result like the one I just mentioned will be so slight that people won't care when contrasted against being able to carry a disc of an entire album to any studio in the world.

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
The Scar
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 760
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/03 21:09:18 (permalink)
This is another topic we need as a sticky thread, up along with one about why Sonar is not on Mac, so that we don't have to have this conversation over and over.

Not flaming Guyunique, but a quick search of this forum would have found this topic covered many times over... call me an old cranky ****.

Electro Punk 'n' Roll at www.myspace.com/thescar
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/03 21:35:30 (permalink)
1. Is it because Sonar is exclusively PC based?

Perhaps a little. Most studios in my area are G5-hosted. To switch to a PC
platform, one would have to wait for the two or three year cycles in which
studios retool. I don't believe the studios much care what they're running
as long as it works. The Mac G5 and PT is a relatively risk-free solution
for a studio owner or manager. It's important to note that these guys
are not often the most technically savvy .. they just want something that
works.

2. Is it because Cakewalk does not have hardware interface exclusively designed for Sonar?

The freedom in which we revel to pick whatever hardware and software configuration we
choose means we assume the chore of making it all work and the risk if it doesn't. For a large
studio, being down even a day can make the difference between being profitable that
month or not. If Cakewalk had hardware/software studio bundles which were proven and
had the same degree of support provided by Digi .. then perhaps some studios
would consider it. However, this high support and bundling model is expensive for a
company to provide .. hence the increased cost of a platform like ProTools. Digi makes
it up in volume and support contracts.

3. Is it because Cakewalk products does not cost $200.000.00?

Well, let's remember the systems which PT replaced .. they were far more expensive to buy,
operate and maintain. For engineers, the time savings by being able to edit "in the box" and
not have to cut tape, bounce down, etc. was huge ... not that any of this savings ever made
it to the consumer ;-) While we may balk at the cost of a PT system, studios still have the
mindset that they're saving money by being all digital.

4. Is it because Cakewalk as a company is not giving/shoving free products down the throats of pro/engineers/producers?

Digi doesn't make a habit of giving away stuff ... they make a habit of financing and hardware upgrades.

And then there's the way it sounds ... I think ProTools with Digi hardware sounds really good. I've heard
other systems that sound as good... (like the Apogee's, Lynx's and RME Fireface) .. but when you talk in
this range .. the prices are pretty similar. There's also the plug-ins which you can't get on any other platform
(like McDSP) that are just great.

My point is not to belittle or diminish competitive products like Sonar. I love Sonar .. I love the GUI .. it's
a wonderfully productive and liberating environment to work in. But, I also want to say that it's not fair
to call the people who use ProTools stupid or sheep or anything like that .... because they've made
their choices based on business decisions ... and often these decisions are not rooted in
technical "bestness."

jeff

post edited by jmarkham - 2005/12/03 21:38:43
MasterHurrikane
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/03 21:35:38 (permalink)
ONE WORD....

Marketing.
Viz
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/03 21:53:46 (permalink)
"ONE WORD....

Marketing."

Thats true and i agree with everyone in this thread.

I think one of the reasons is to convince the Producers/clients. Most dont believe a complete Album can be done in your small room. Today`s generation is MIDI and PT is not popular for that. These Musician guys build the stuff in Cubase/Sonar/Logic and transfer the Audio renderings into the big PT thingy in a bigger studio. I feel its only to give an indication to the markets, producers etc who only believe 'Quality' and 'Genuinity' is PT and nothing else. Not a bad idea.
post edited by Viz - 2005/12/03 21:57:04
Rednroll
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 537
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/03 22:05:58 (permalink)
One Answer:

E.) All of the Above
Jonny Mumra
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/03 22:09:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: eikelbijter

Because people are sheep!

Rico

Exactly.

I hate digidesign.

I Love Elvenking
Jonny Mumra
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/03 22:13:36 (permalink)
I recently did a raw sum comparison with Sonar 5 and Pt 6.9.
15 tracks all at unity gain and the results were much in the favour of Sonar5 with 64 bit selected.

I Love Elvenking
tomek
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 684
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/03 23:11:05 (permalink)
15 tracks all at unity gain and the results were much in the favour of Sonar5 with 64 bit selected.

Hello,
I'm just currious,
how can a "raw sum comparison" favor one DAW over another.

I'm assuming that means you did you an A/B of the final mixdowns?
Would you mind providing more details about your method?

Thanks,
Tom.
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/04 00:56:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jonny Mumra

in all fairness, summing 15 tracks at unity gain is the equivalent of driving a bus
at 80 miles an hour into a concrete embankment and seeing who survives. this is not
a realistic scenario which any trained audio engineer would even consider. while the double
precision pipeline of Sonar can handle this particular scenario .. it's preposterous
(imho).

jeff
Jonny Mumra
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/04 04:02:57 (permalink)
Is that right.

Well the results were significant enough for me to comment.

There was actually quite a big difference.

I cant wait to hear the responses from all the computer scientists listening through Alesis Mk2's.

Placebo = no way.

Can i post results = to a select few.
post edited by Jonny Mumra - 2005/12/04 04:12:50

I Love Elvenking
davidchristopher
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1360
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/04 04:23:37 (permalink)
As a user of both ProTools and Sonar, I'm really sick of this topic :)

David Bistolas
www.bistolas.net
underblu
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/04 04:54:25 (permalink)
Robustness, interface options for video and hardware support are definetely Protools Strengths

However anyone suggesting that paying $10,000 for processing power that amounts to last years celeron chip
and software that in features and functionality is not only inferior to Sonar but Logic Nuendo and Cubase must put a very high priority
on the above mentioned strengths.

How many big label pop records over the past 20 years were mixed on SSL Consoles, So what? I betcha there is more than a few studio owners that wish they had that Neve A series console back that they traded in for tan E or G series SSL.

Unless your opening a for hire studio where compatibilty becomes a major issue, this whole topic is pretty inane.

Lanceindastudio
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4604
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/04 05:07:37 (permalink)
They are both good. Make hits, make good music. Either DAW will do fine. I like the price of sonar and I like the way it works. Guys, im working on a record with a known artist on Sonar, and big thing are happening for us. His last album was done in Sonar and I got to travel all over Europe because of it through Warner Bros... Both of the programs are at the point where its all about if ya got the skillz or not to make hits, and the connections in the biz to reap the benefits. Dont wanna make hits, just goo dmusic? Well, same goes for that, both DAWS are fine!!! If i had pro tools to start I probably would have stuck with it because I honestly dont have time to play with programs as Im busy making hits :)... Sonar has a good price tag on it, and I was greatful to know it has the juice to make hits, and I really am not sacrificing by not having pro tools. Sound quality? You can get the sound out of sonar that you can from pro tools no problem, period...

daverich
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3418
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/04 05:08:27 (permalink)
I've only once been asked if I have protools at the studio and that was from someone who wanted me to edit some midi files.

heh.

That's the kinda thing we're dealing with here ;)

Kind regards

Dave Rich

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
brucie
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/04 07:19:13 (permalink)
Alot of PT's dominance comes from the fact that it is used in Post Production.

ProTools is not very popular with composers, but it is the (current) tool of choice with recording engineers and post production houses....why? Well for a number of the reasons mentioned above...
- reliability (due to intergrated hardware and software), 24 hour support
- I hate to say it....but easy of use...two screens...that is all edit and mix....just like a tape machine.
- Accredited training courses (also helps with the marketing!)
- the tie in with parent company AVID who have a large part of the video market sown up. For example the whole of ITV News (those who have gone digital) are running AVID's newscutter system, why...reliabity, easy of use and training
- Compatability with other post houses

What is Sonar missing for Post work...well so much basically, such as
- Locking clips/tracks (that is the most basic of all) - CW promised for an up coming version
- A real transport with fast forward and rewind (not by bars!) - CW promised for an up coming version
- instant and unlimited fades and X-fades,
- Real-time Editing, the ability to edit whilst still recording on the same track
- Source/Destination Editing
-EDL import/export
- plus much more

I would say that most Sonar users are either composers or project to medium scale studios, also I see Sonar users as very loyal to their software.

If you look at what the top league composers are using, for example film composers, you will see a strong mix of Logic and Digital Performer, with Nuendo and Cubase (goe knows why!!) following up the rear. Also bear in mind that many, many composers (traditional) use notation packages such as Sibelius and Finale. Most of the articles I have read by film composers tend to suggest that they use Logic or DP as a front end for Protools, composing in Logic and then the post production work, including Foley, dubbing, SFX etc being done in PT (or more recently Pyramix or Sadie or sequioa (for classical work)). This maybe come more common given the new tie in with Euphionix System 5 http://www.euphonix.com/post/products/system_5-mc/system_5-mc.htm

It would seem from the Pro Sonar users list, that there are more dance based acts using Sonar, probably because it rocks at doing looped based work. But give it time (and a few extra features) and we maybe hearing of a few major composers using Sonar (me...fingers crossed) but then again, I do use Sibelius for all notation work, and Samplitude for my audio work...and Sonar for everything else. I just wish it had some of the scoring features which I really miss from Digital Performer (especially the wonderful tempo finder)....but hell would freeze over before I go back to Apple!!!

Please note...I use Sonar! I like Sonar, but it is not (currently) an application for Post work....get over it...I have to!

Go out there, make some music and dazzle the world....guess what most people will be saying...that is an awesome guitar line...not hmmm is that Sonar or Protools!

Peace

Neil

Neil S. Bruce Msc B.Eng(Hons) Dip(Mus)
Sound Designer, Composer and Audio Engineer

- Manchester
Tel : +44 (0)7771 877690
Web : www.spencerbruce.com
NYSR
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1550
RE: Why is Pro-tools the choice of most studio professionals not Sonar? 2005/12/04 07:59:31 (permalink)
Although I would never consider using Pro Tools, one reason for its major market mentality not yet mentioned is that its work flow is strongly aligned with the recommendations of professional organizations such as the Producers and Engineers Wing at Grammy.com.

The more professional relationships a place of business must maintain, the more it prefers to follow a workflow based on industry standards. Pro Tools works well for those who must produce a project where formats, backups and other inter-business proceedures are standardized. Even though many decide on Pro Tools to be "Standardized" they often are unaware of what the standards actually are and often do not follow them. They simply assume they are following standard proceedures simply because they use Pro Tools.

One can follow these same workflow standards in Sonar as well, but the work flow would not be as intuitive in Sonar. Sonar is designed to get the job done by a person doing it without concern or care about if standards are followed. There is more than one way to skin a cat as they say.

By standards I am not talking about the quality of the product, but rather the archiving and workflow habits that become an industry standard for purposes of communication and portability of both personel and projects.

Nonetheless, a person well familiar with those standards can follow them using Sonar and produce Pro Tools compatible transfers and backups in an industry recommended manner.
post edited by NYSR - 2005/12/04 08:00:57

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1