Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jhonvargas
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 371
2005/12/14 16:29:27 (permalink)

Santana's guitar sound

Hi,

Has any one an idea of how to get the Carlos Santana's guitar sound? I now that it has to do with Santana playing itself, the guitar, etc, but I am most interested on the effect processing used for it. I mean: is a distortion? an overdrive? or what?. Has some one one a good starting point for this?

Thanks, John

40 Replies Related Threads

GPM
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2005/12/14 20:07:20 (permalink)
    No problem! Go to this site and you will see his setup plus all kinds of other Santana stuff.

http://guitar.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.santana.com/Carlos/Equipment/

If the link is faulty, go to his home page www.santana.com and then PLAYERS and MUSICIAN'S CORNER.
    post edited by GPM - 2005/12/14 20:13:00
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2005/12/15 09:25:09 (permalink)
    While I'm sure his setup changes all the time, some years ago, Guitar Player magazine was giving away a complete Carlos Santana guitar rig that was supposed to be a duplicate of his own personal touring and recording rig. Judging from the amount of gear that was included in the give-away, I assumed they had done their homework. I think I might still actually have the magazine somewhere but it's many years old already and probably not representative of what he's using now.

Here's what I remember:

PRS - obviously
    Mesa - there was a stereo power amp and Tri-Axis preamp in a rack
    Chandler Echo unit
    Hi-Watt 4/12 cabinets (two if I remember)
    two (2) Fender Twin Reverb amps
    I think there might have been another Mesa Boogie combo amp in there

There was some sort of switching device (obviously)
    There were a couple of stomp boxes but I don't remember what.

So that's basically what I remember from some years ago. I think that creamy Santana distortion is the result of Mesa though. He's been a Mesa Boogie user since day one almost. I think the first few Santana albums he used a modified Fender Champ or something that the Mesa guys built for him (Mesa started out in a garage I think and they modified Fender amps). If I remember correctly. Anyone have more specifics chime in I'm a big Santana fan. One of my personal favs is Caravanserai

PS - sorry I see the link to his home page above with current amps and stuff. Very cool
    post edited by krizrox - 2005/12/15 09:27:32

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    cezar11
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2005/12/15 13:31:47 (permalink)
    My band just recorded a cover of smooth for our "Bar Demo" cd.... you are welcomed to hear it..

http://www.cezarsghost.com/files/smooth.mp3

if you like the guitar sound.. I would be happy to tell you how we got it... you may be surprised....

/begin disclaimer

....keep in mind tho.. that this location is just for the bands personal use.. these are still rough mixes and I use the site to give the other guys in the band ( all 2 of them.. besides me.. i'm the drummer/keyboardist/engineer ) updates on the mixing of the CD..

so these songs are NOT to be linked or used in any other way than a demonstration of our bands ability....

/end disclaimer
    post edited by cezar11 - 2005/12/15 13:36:57
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2005/12/15 13:41:18 (permalink)
    For the do-it-yourselfer at home, the basic sound is a combination of humbucker pickups (Gibson Les Paul, PRS, etc.) and heavy pre-amp overdrive (crank the preamp up and turn down the master volume). Something like an MXR Dyna Comp pedal out front set for mucho sustain probably wouldn't hurt either. Oye Como VA!

BTW - I still remember seeing Carlos get wiggy with an old EchoPlex EP-3 at a New Year's Eve concert at San Francisco's Cow Palace back in 1976-77. I can truly say that nobody ever worked that thing quite like he did in creating a feedback loop that went up, up and away for a mind-blowing experience. Syke-a-delic, fer sure.

Now, what I'm describing above is how you might go about getting *that* sound at home, on the cheap. The way Carlos gets *that* sound, inasmuch as I read this in a GP interview with him, depends on a specific soundcheck technique, where he will crank up the volume on his amps, then walk around the stage/recording space until he finds the "sweet spot" where his guitar is right on the verge of feeding back. He then marks a cross on the floor with gaffer's tape, and when he gets down to performing/recording, he basically moves in a tight area around and on top of that "sweet spot" so he can milk the sustain as he needs to.

Unfortunately, this is usually hard to do at home without getting the cops called on you. I still think, for my money, a PRS or Les Paul played through a vintage Marshall JTM-45 amp with master volume modification would nail it. I've never been a Boogie fan, I'm afraid, as they're somewhat of a one-trick pony. YMMV
    post edited by j boy - 2005/12/15 16:13:57
    jhonvargas
    • Total Posts : 371
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2005/12/15 23:27:05 (permalink)
    Hi,

Thanks to all you for your comments and links.

Cezar, I liked the guitar sound of your band. Thanks for sharing. I would like to know how do you get it?
    cezar11
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2005/12/16 08:58:32 (permalink)
    No PRS's were harmed in the making of this recording.. it was actually a Strat going through a Marshall 50 watt head into 2 4 speaker cabinets. I close mic'd a cone with a dynamic ( halfway between the edge and center.. about 30 degrees off axis ) and mid mic'd ( about 5 feet away ) with a Studio Projects C1 ( I love that mic ).. and a bunch of gobo's that I built

he went from the Strat to a yamaha effects box with a just a tad of delay then to a boss compresser...

had to play with the pickup selector and tone knob to get a nice round sound... .

believe it or not.. the hardest thing was not believing the sound you heard with your ears.... it seemed that when we had a good sound in the room.. the mics heard something totally different.....we kept having to turn the volume and drive levels down... until it was very clean sounding in the room.. but mics captured that nice round sound that you hear.

and it wasn't just for this song... we had to go through the same process for our other songs on the demo cd.. ( ranging from Rush to van halen to Buffet...)
    Mully
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1545
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2005/12/18 05:33:45 (permalink)
    The Santana sound is mostly in the man's hands. He sounds the same with the PRS as he did with the Yamaha's. The Mesa's sure help but what he gets out of the Boogies isn't really a typical sound of Boogies IMHO.

The funny thing is that when I use a Dual Rectifier with Boogie quad box (great combination) I often get told the playing is Santana like. Another funny thing is that I play a '79 Strat with lace sensors (a smooth single coil if ever). The final funny thing is that these comments crop up whenever the song at the time is a minor key. Ok there's one more funny thing.. I definitely don't set out to sound like Carlos but I listened to a LOT of him a ot of years ago and I find it hard not to lean to him on anything in a minor key that has distortion and the space to let it go a bit. He really owns the tasty minor distortion realm I believe.

Anyways, he's good!

Cheers!

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
    DarrylCoy
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2005/12/19 13:30:42 (permalink)
    I played a PRS Santana a few weeks ago at a local guitar shop in Dayton, Ohio. I played thru a couple different boutique tube amps. I was very surprised how close I could get to a Santana sound without pedals or fooling around with amp settings. The owner told me that the pickups had a lot to do with the sound (duh but more so on this guitar).

This guitar was hells-bells for single note solo work, but I must admit it sounded very muddy to me when I played chords. IMHO, the bottom line is I didn't like the PRS Santana because it is a 1 trick pony. I played a PRS Custom 22 with a tremolo bar that is very much on my mind right now.

Darryl
    cezar11
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2005/12/20 15:29:38 (permalink)
    My Guitarist just purchased a '97 custom 22 ten top with the bird inlays.... he got such a sweet deal ($1300) ... but needs to get it set up for him.... he likes thinner strings and the action is a tad high....

I wish we would have had the guitar when we recorded smooth.. ( see post above )....
    danhazer
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2053
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2005/12/20 16:13:49 (permalink)
    I've never been a Boogie fan, I'm afraid, as they're somewhat of a one-trick pony. YMMV

I disagree with you. Mesa's are very versatile. Even the amp known for its great metal tones, the Rectifier series amps, can go to a sparkling clean tone or pushed tone with no problem at all.

Dan Monaghan
    no criminal intent
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2005/12/21 16:04:52 (permalink)
    believe it or not.. the hardest thing was not believing the sound you heard with your ears.... it seemed that when we had a good sound in the room.. the mics heard something totally different.....we kept having to turn the volume and drive levels down... until it was very clean sounding in the room.. but mics captured that nice round sound that you hear.

I think thats pretty common. At least it has been in my experience. I usually cut the gain by quite a bit when recording.

zumba
    Ninurta
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2007/01/08 21:41:37 (permalink)
    I've been duplicating Carlos' guitar sound for about 20 years. I've owned two Mesa-Boogies, a Yamaha SG 2000, and a PRS. I use D'Addario strings. I've even used Carlos' personal picks. I actually stumbled across a keyboard magazine in the '80's (I forget which one), where they interviewed Carlos and he actually told them how he set up his amps. Right now I use a Mesa-Boogie F-30 and a Roland Micro-Cube, and it is quite easy to get Carlos' sound out of a Micro-Cube. The guitar has to be a neck-through body mahogany (the maple top helps, but it's not absolutely necessary), with serious pickups. Santana has used Seymour Duncan '59s in his Yamahas in in his first PRSs, and PRS Santana IIIs in his newer PRSs. I used Seymour Duncan 59s in a Les Paul copy with a Mesa-Boogie Studio 22. In my Yahama SG-2000 I used two EMG 81s and a PA2 preamp, and in my PRS Santana SE I use 3 EMG 89s, and Afterburner, and three 3-way mini-toggle switches. The D'addarios Santana uses are .009s, and the pick he uses, made by Dunlop, is basically a large Fender triangle pick. Having used the man's picks myself, I are Mike Bloomfield, from whom Carlos learnedwould say it would be unwise to underestimate his picks in the process of trying to achieve his sound: they have a rounder tip than regular and teardrop picks and thus have virtually no pick attack. I use a Dunlop white nylon .30 pick. I actually found it difficult to play with them--the characteristic tone comes from holding the pick in the middle. It's a medium-gauge soft material. Basically, Santana tries to get the distortion as smooth as possible, to make the guitar sing instead of scream. He runs both the gain and the volume controls at 6 or 7. The important thing is not the amount of distortion; it's the fact that the controls are set in the same place. The amp has to sound almost clean. You can even get that sound on 2. On a Mesa-Boogie get just enough to make it sing and fill the room, and then in performance if you turn it up a little you will find that you get feedback, which if you hop on right away--you can hear it coming--and add vibrato, will give you endless sustain, especially facing the amp. You may have to compensate somewhat for the brightness or depth of the sound of your guitar by changing the tone settings on your amp. The guitar will also sound different when the tone control is set at 7 instead of 10 and when the volume is at 5 instead of 10. If you watch Santana on video you'll see he's always twiddling the knobs, especially the volume knob. Here are the amp settings, from Carlos himself; gain--6; volume--6; treble--7; midrange--5; bass--2; reverb--7; and presence is completely unnecessary. If you add more distortion or more reverb it doesn't sound right. I would recommend using the bridge humbucker full up and turning the tone control to 7 to get the "Supernatural" sound. The "Caravanserai" sound would be more like the volume on 5 and the tone all the way up. You'll have to experiment. And you must also bear in mind that two of the greatest all-time masters of the subtleties of the use of the pick are Mike Bloomfield, from whom Carlos learned, and the undeniable all-time master--Carlos himself. So the amp and the guitar are just tools. But when you hear people say that Carlos' sound is in his hands--believe it, because it's true. Those crazy wide bends, that subtle whispering pick attack, that crying vibrato, the slides and pulls, and that wailing sound that define him most all of all--aren't coming from the amp. They're coming from his hands, and from nowhere else.

Ninurta
    "A mighty hunter before the LORD" (Genesis 10:10)
    davidchristopher
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1360
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2007/01/13 09:13:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: j boy
    I've never been a Boogie fan, I'm afraid, as they're somewhat of a one-trick pony. YMMV

You're allowed not to be a fan of The Boogie, but you're wrong wrong wrong about it. It's the single most versatile amp I've ever owned (RectoVerb 50). It's clean channels can do a fendery shimmer or a marshally grit, the dirty channels... oh my- everything from smooth to heavy. I'll never go back to Marshall. Try it again. YMMC.

Santana actually is credited with naming the Mesa "Boogie":

ORIGINAL: Mesa Boogie
    The trick was to get all the high power electronics, big transformers and a JBL twelve built reliably inside a package that was intended to house a ten inch speaker and produce twelve watts! But it was worth the effort. The quote from one of the hottest local guitar slingers, Carlos Santana was,
    "Man, that little thing really Boogies!" Thus the name was born. Over two hundred of those Princeton Boogies were built between 1967 and 1970 up a dirt path in a mountain workshop that I converted from a dog kennel built for racing greyhounds. Today, most of those "pre-Boogies" are still around, alive and treasured by their owners.

David Bistolas
    www.bistolas.net
    NW Smith
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2007/01/13 12:37:39 (permalink)
    Very cool thread here. I am a big Santana fan from ay back. While a lot of the technical information is cool to read, I would have to agree with Mully about the most important part of getting the sound is in the man's hands. I think it's important to have a setup that gets decent sustain with a "clean" distortion. I think the bottom is is that you have to work on his techniques for getting the feeling and expression from the notes.

I will say that his "sound" has evolved over the years - from his early Gibson SG days to his current PRS set up. My favorite Santana sound era is from the late 70's (Moonflower) era when he was using those Yamaha guitars. Man, he got some amazing sustain.

My Website:
    http://www.marwoodwilliams.com
    My Music on Bandcamp:
    http://marwoodwilliams.bandcamp.com

Equipment: Intel Core i3, 3.2 GHz, Sonar Platinum, Ramsa WR-S4416 Mixer,  Focusrite  Scarlett 18i6
    Arturo Magneto
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2007/07/11 09:48:05 (permalink)
    Anybody knows where I can find Santana's backing tracks ? Thanks
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2007/07/11 12:50:59 (permalink)
    In Santana's studio, on the shelf?

Just kidding - here y'go;

http://rock.mididb.com/santana/
    post edited by jamesg1213 - 2007/07/11 12:52:21

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    manwithgod
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2008/04/16 21:17:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ninurta

I've been duplicating Carlos' guitar sound for about 20 years. ..... I've even used Carlos' personal picks. ..... The guitar has to be a neck-through body mahogany (the maple top helps, but it's not absolutely necessary), with serious pickups. ..... the pick he uses, made by Dunlop, is basically a large Fender triangle pick. Having used the man's picks myself, I are Mike Bloomfield, from whom Carlos learnedwould say it would be unwise to underestimate his picks in the process of trying to achieve his sound: they have a rounder tip than regular and teardrop picks and thus have virtually no pick attack. I use a Dunlop white nylon .30 pick. I actually found it difficult to play with them--the characteristic tone comes from holding the pick in the middle. It's a medium-gauge soft material. Basically, Santana tries to get the distortion as smooth as possible, to make the guitar sing instead of scream.......

will find that you get feedback, which if you hop on right away--you can hear it coming--and add vibrato, will give you endless sustain, especially facing the amp. You may have to compensate somewhat for the brightness or depth of the sound of your guitar by changing the tone settings on your amp.

...You'll have to experiment.

There's a good shot of his pick in this clip:

u toob

And a good example of his sustain here: toobowski

I found the above advice very helpful. I had some small hard white rubber wedges on my desk which are for stopping windows from rattling in the wind and I tried using one as a pick on my les paul and bingo! the sound is verrrry smooth and there is absolutely no pick noise. I'm new to electric guitars so I don't know anything about amps, but I found that using the rhythm pickup with my treble middle and bass up full on the amp and the tone button on full sounded pretty darn close to the Santana sound on a smaller scale.

So I am going to stick with rubberr picks from now on seeing as Santan'sa is the sound I'm aiming for
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2008/04/16 21:40:17 (permalink)
    One thing I read about Carlos (in Guitar Player Mag), I believe at the time he was playing a Yamaha through a boogie.....he had a large solid block of steel milled and routed into the guitar's body directly below the bridge to increase the mass of the guitar and thereby the sustain.

Boogie...what an amp....I agree that it is a very versatile amp. I have the Studio 22. I bought it when the 22 first came out and have had it ever since. Several players wanted to buy it but it's not on the market.

I also believe that a Kay guitar with a Kustom amp in the hands of Carlos would still sound like Carlos...maybe that's a slight exageration......but....A good player can make a cheap rig sound good and conversely.....a good rig with an poor guitarist will sound like crap.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2008/04/16 22:32:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker

Boogie...what an amp....I agree that it is a very versatile amp. I have the Studio 22. I bought it when the 22 first came out and have had it ever since. Several players wanted to buy it but it's not on the market.

Hi, Guitarhacker,

Couldn't agree more. I've got a Studio .22+ that I bought sometime in the late '80's, IIRC, and what a great amp it is. Sadly, mine is in need of some work in the preamp nowadays, but I'm hoping to have it fixed ASAP.

I have seen several posts on this forum in which people have said bad things about the Studio .22. I don't know what they are looking for in an amp, but it would be hard to find a small amp that is more versitile for live work and sounds amazing when recorded than the Studio .22. To each his own, I guess...... And my Studio .22+ is definitely NOT for sale, either. It's a keeper that I intend to hang on to for as long as I can still play guitar at all. And I've been playing for 37 years, so far. ;>)

Also, as weird as it seems, I've had many people say to me that I sound a lot like Santana, even though I was playing a 1992 Strat Plus (with the Lace Sensor's) through the Studio .22+. And I was definitely not trying to sound like Santana, either. Go figure.

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    Cromberger
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2008/04/16 22:45:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: davidchristopher

ORIGINAL: Mesa Boogie
    The trick was to get all the high power electronics, big transformers and a JBL twelve built reliably inside a package that was intended to house a ten inch speaker and produce twelve watts! But it was worth the effort. The quote from one of the hottest local guitar slingers, Carlos Santana was,
    "Man, that little thing really Boogies!" Thus the name was born. Over two hundred of those Princeton Boogies were built between 1967 and 1970 up a dirt path in a mountain workshop that I converted from a dog kennel built for racing greyhounds. Today, most of those "pre-Boogies" are still around, alive and treasured by their owners.

Hi, davidchristopher,

Wow, what a great quote. In the late '80's-early '90's I used to regularly sit in with a blues band in which the front man/guitarist had one of those "pre-Boogie" Princetons. To this day, I can't remember having heard a more amazing amplifier. And it still looked like a stock Fender Princeton, which was a real mind blower. I agree with Carlos: Those "Princetons" really did "boogie". I tried to buy that amp from the guy every time I played with him but, needless to say, he wasn't going to let go of that incredible tone machine.

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    manwithgod
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2008/04/17 04:00:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ninurta

I've been duplicating Carlos' guitar sound for about 20 years......

I've even used Carlos' personal picks. ....

, and the pick he uses, made by Dunlop, .....

...it would be unwise to underestimate his picks in the process of trying to achieve his sound:....

I found that the rubber pick kind of licks across the strings like a tongue instead of clicking across them like plastic picks do. It produces a purer sound which is all string and no pick. You get that unmistakable santana full bodied rounded sound, with no sharp edges. Santana & Michelle Branch
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2008/04/17 09:19:58 (permalink)
    Cromberger....

More on the Boogie 22.

I bought mine new back in the late 80's I think....hard to remember exactly. I had used Ampeg (to heavy and underpowered), several Carvins, good amps but the 2nd one was a Carvin takeoff of a Boogie....12" spkr 100w and to be honest....just to much power, to get the right tone at a respectable volume. I had played in a band that was 3 piece (rock & country) so we tended to be loud anyway. But I was in a house band (6 piece) using the 100w Carvin and it was just to much.

When I played the Boogie in the store the amp was "only" 22 watts....I'm thinking this will never work..live. I bought it with a 30 day money back. The sales guy said take it and try it....With only 22 watts, I was amazed when I used it live...I was holding my own against the other guitarist with a 50w Marshall/strat combo. With only one 12" spkr the sound was just a bit weak. The tone was 100% right! I had two 4x12 Lab Series cabinets and a spare Carvin DCA-800 stereo power amp sitting around collecting dust....so... I placed one cab on each side of the stage, powered them with the DCA-800 and sent the Boogie direct out into both channels. Using the volume control for the DCA-800 channels allowed me to dial up the fullness level I needed without blasting the first 10 rows, and it also allowed the other guitarist to select his optimum level of my guitar on his side of the stage. everybody was happy!

Playing with that rig was so sweet. It was the first time someone from the audience actually walked up to me and complimented me on the tone of my guitar. When that band broke up, I sold quite a bit of my equipment, all the PA stuff I owned the 2 lab series cabs, but not the Boogie or the DCA-800. I recently bought a used Marshall 4x12, because a few of the musicians I play with at church are talking about putting a band together....the boogie/DCA-800/marshall combo smokes...I can't wait to hear it in action again.

BTW....I do not use any effects pedals at all. Just a quality cord so that nothing changes that sweet 69 Gibson SG/Boogie tone.

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/04/17 09:20:59

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Cromberger
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2008/04/17 23:39:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker

Cromberger....

More on the Boogie 22.

I bought mine new back in the late 80's I think...

Sounds like you bought your's at almost the same time as I bought mine.

I originally bought mine as a small, light amp to take to rehearsals, since my "gig rig" was a big, heavy amp and my band's rehearsal space was up a flight of nasty stairs. But the 22 watts turned out to be pretty darned loud, as you said. So, ultimately, I wound up using the Boogie as my gigging amp and simply put a mic on it and sent it through our PA. Great tone, rock solid reliability and *easy* to carry around. Great little amplifier.

Then I discovered that the Studio .22 sounded amazing through my Marshall 1960A cabinet. Talk about a fat, punchy sound! I still can't belive that little bugger is only 22 watts!

I recently bought a used Marshall 4x12, because a few of the musicians I play with at church are talking about putting a band together....the boogie/DCA-800/marshall combo smokes...I can't wait to hear it in action again.

I'm sure you've already tried it, but if not, try just the Boogie through your Marshall bottom without an additional power amp. Unless you're playing very high volume gigs, I think you'll find that the combination is plenty loud. Well, of course, it won't play squeaky clean at high volume, but for overdriven tones, it gets plenty loud for me. ;>)

When that band broke up, I sold quite a bit of my equipment

Been there, done that, still hate myself for being so foolish...... ;>) When I think of the guitars and amps I've sold over the years, it makes me cringe.

BTW....I do not use any effects pedals at all. Just a quality cord so that nothing changes that sweet 69 Gibson SG/Boogie tone.

I used to roll that way, too. In fact, for quite a long time during the '70's, I gigged with a Les Paul plugged straight into a 1952 Fender Deluxe---no efx, no reverb, no nothing. Great tone for a blues/rock band. In later years, when I was in more "pop" oriented bands, I had to go with multi-effect units, total MIDI control, the whole nine yards. But, the good tone still came out of my Studio .22. When I hear some of the recordings from back then I'm still blown away by the tone coming out of my rig. I can't believe it was me playing.....

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2008/04/17 23:45:54 (permalink)
    I was listening to a documentary where he was talking and playing a bit, and he was using a crazy amount of amp reverb. Not sure if he does on the stage or not. But it was like, stop playing, wait a few seconds for the reverb to die down enough to talk, then start talking again.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    manwithgod
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2008/04/18 01:13:21 (permalink)
    I'm using a 20 watt Storm Amp Storm 20R and it sounds very good to me and has unreal sustaining power. But I have to leave the volume on its lowest level seeing as I live in a unit very close to other units. If I ever have the need and the cash I'll get one of those Boogie amps for sure seeing as you all speak so highly of them. Here in Australia US goods are very expensive. Here's a Boogie amp price list Mesa Boogie and at the bottom of the page is a Boogie amp Santana used in Africa.

I bought a rubber door wedge which was on special for 1 buck at the supermarket today and made another pick with that and it is even better than the rubber window wedge. Weirdly also is the fact that I searched for rubber guitar picks on the web and they're called "wedgies". They are made in the US and I don't think I can buy them here unfortunately. I'm blown away by the sound they produce and will probably use them more than other types of picks.

It was mentioned above that Santana has a solid block of steel inside his guitar to add sustain to it, and I would believe that due to the width of his guitar strap! It's the widest strap I've seen and obviously it is designed to support some serious weight.

The comments about feedback and how to use it for sustain are very interesting also, and that is one trick I'll use when I can.

Another trick I discovered by accident today is moving the finger across the fret back and forwards about half an inch during sustain to make a warbling effect with a sharp edge in the middle. I've noticed that sound in some of Santana's works and I wonder if he uses the same method?

kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2008/04/18 04:52:23 (permalink)
    you also might look into getting a hold of some Vintage Altec 417 8H Series II speakers ( 12's)
    its a well know fact that Santana has considered them to be a fave of his ....
    btw .....I have been using them since 79 in my Marshall Mark II 50 watt 212 combo ..........
    post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2008/04/18 05:18:25

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2008/04/18 05:33:47 (permalink)
    I was listening to a documentary where he was talking and playing a bit, and he was using a crazy amount of amp reverb.

ATM I have light hall reverb+some pitchshifting to broaden the sound under my left expression pedal, and distortion under the other - amazing how tiny changes in either *totally* change the sound, and if you get the hang of moving that about during play, it's like it's 5 entirely different takes or so.

Having realtime control over reverb is not the first thing you'd think of playing guitar, since you normally leave that to the ambience, but it can be pretty powerful.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    KenB123
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1229
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2008/04/18 10:52:57 (permalink)
    (If this was mentioned above, I missed it. Sorry). But in his earlier days at least, and maybe even now, I understood that he used a Wah-Wah pedal to achieve some of his sound. He would find a sweet spot on the pedal and leave it there. Well, at least that is what I read somewhere once, and from his earlier sounds I would not doubt it. I toy around with that mid-range Wah sound quite a bit myself. Not sure what he is up to today.
    pgw
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 705
    RE: Santana's guitar sound 2008/04/23 03:39:30 (permalink)
    Just to add a bit of confusion : I recieved Stewart-MacDonalds "Trade secrets newsletter" last week, where Dan Erlewine showed what he´d done to Carlos´ `63 Strat - so apparently he´s not using PRS stuff exclusively. You can probably still hear it´s him regardless of what guitar he´s using - as mentioned.

Per
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1