Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller

Author
Hinopio
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2006/04/06 13:16:59 (permalink)

Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller

Though I'm sure someone has asked before, does anyone know of a free interface or plug-in that allows the computer keyboard to be used as a MIDI controller?

22 Replies Related Threads

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/06 14:37:05 (permalink)
    Try here: http://www.kvraudio.com/

Older versions of Home Studio came with one, but it stopped working with Windows XP.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/07 03:55:15 (permalink)
    Why not just purchase a MIDI keyboard?...Even above average ones can be found for less that $200 and will offer many more options than trying to type things on a computer keyboard...

Just my 2¢ worth...

Regards,
    Papa
    musiccontinuum
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 636
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/12 19:29:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Hinopio

Though I'm sure someone has asked before, does anyone know of a free interface or plug-in that allows the computer keyboard to be used as a MIDI controller?

I just came across this keyboard software that Hinopio might be looking for at Roni Music, it's called Sweet Little Piano.

Jon
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/12 19:53:04 (permalink)
    For comuter keyboard as midi controller:

Ok, forget that one...anyway...

But remember the computer keyboard doesn't record velocity. I'd rather shell out the bucks for a small midi controller myself.
    post edited by Beagle - 2006/04/12 20:03:01
    liebre
    • Total Posts : 622
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/12 22:52:43 (permalink)
    Guys:

Saving money isn't the only reason for using a utility that allows you to use your computer keyboard as a midi keyboard. Some of us like to squeeze in a little playing at times and places that its not possible to carry in even a 25 key midi controller. Like on an airplane or in a subway or in your hotel when on a business trip where you don't want your work buddies giving you a hard time for bringing your "toys" along. Its just nice to have a software keyboard on your laptop all the time.

This is a nice one:

http://www.bome.com/midi/keyboard/
    Beagle
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/12 22:57:50 (permalink)
    Ok, point taken!
    daveny5
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/12 23:49:38 (permalink)
    That's exactly why I've stayed out of this one until now.... BUT c'mon.... surely you can do as much or a lot more using the Piano Roll or the Staff view than dinking around on the one octave computer keyboard. About the only thing you could really a accomplish with that is to annoy all the people around you.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    papa2004
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/13 01:58:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: daveny5

That's exactly why I've stayed out of this one until now.... BUT c'mon.... surely you can do as much or a lot more using the Piano Roll or the Staff view than dinking around on the one octave computer keyboard. About the only thing you could really a accomplish with that is to annoy all the people around you.

Agreed...But, to each his/her own...

Regards,
    Papa
    daveny5
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/13 09:23:59 (permalink)
    Whatever floats your boat...

Dave
    liebre
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/13 16:33:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: daveny5

You might be surprised how playable it can be once you get used to it. You end up with something that sounds alot different than playing with a real keyboard but it is what it is, which is sometimes interesting. Mostly though its just a quicker way to enter data when step-sequencing. Its probably something you would never try if music is your full-time business and you get all the time you want sitting in front of a nice 88-key controller. But some of us have chosen to make compromises that necessitate squeezing our hobby into any spare moment we get. Having a self-contained studio on your laptop can transform alot of boring nights on the road.

As for annoying people around you...come on.

Sloom
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/13 22:19:48 (permalink)
    Looks like success!!

"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it."
    -the Grubs

PC specs coming, soon's I get my new machine!
    papa2004
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/14 03:53:37 (permalink)
    Dave,

Are you annoyed yet? I've gotta tell you, as i get older (I'm in my 50's) annoyances are more frequent than they used to be (and I'm pretty laid back most of the time)...People talking on cell phones in grocery stores and blocking aisles while doing so; text-messaging by folks standing in line at check-out counters when I'm in a somewhat of a hurry and they're more concerned with their "texting" than they are with leaving the store; people at the seafood counter of the local market not knowing what they want, so they have to call someone on their cell phone to decide what to have for dinner...

I suppose that if I were seated next to someone trying to program a song on a laptop in a "non-studio" environment, I'd probably be annoyed fairly quickly, too...

If it can be done unobtrusively (quiet and not disruptive) I haven't a problem with it, but that's a big if...

Regards,
    Papa
    liebre
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/14 18:23:11 (permalink)
    LOL! You crack me up Papa!

ORIGINAL: papa2004

Dave,

Are you annoyed yet? I've gotta tell you, as i get older (I'm in my 50's) annoyances are more frequent than they used to be (and I'm pretty laid back most of the time)...People talking on cell phones in grocery stores and blocking aisles while doing so; text-messaging by folks standing in line at check-out counters when I'm in a somewhat of a hurry and they're more concerned with their "texting" than they are with leaving the store; people at the seafood counter of the local market not knowing what they want, so they have to call someone on their cell phone to decide what to have for dinner...

I suppose that if I were seated next to someone trying to program a song on a laptop in a "non-studio" environment, I'd probably be annoyed fairly quickly, too...

If it can be done unobtrusively (quiet and not disruptive) I haven't a problem with it, but that's a big if...

Sloom
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/14 21:15:20 (permalink)
    I'm learning to speak up when I get annoyed. I'm 44, and I feel it's sort of a responsibility, and just good planning, to practice up for my "Cantankerous Years". When some bimbo is in front of me in line, yakking it up at 80+ dB on her cell, I say something like, "Can you move it on out of the line, please? I don't want to be involved with your business." That usually moves things along pretty well.

I like to exercise respect in general, and especially with folks I don't know- like in this context here. We are sharing info, points of view, etc., in a common forum. Cool! But when I'm shown that I'm an insignificant element in someone else's scenario (they're on a cell phone, and I'm there too), I could give a **** about how they feel about my commentary. Move it.

-the Grubs

musiccontinuum
    • Total Posts : 636
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/17 16:28:31 (permalink)
    I agree with everyone regarding the cell phone and text messaging; the bottom line being that they just aren't considerate of others. With that said, I know that sitting in airports passengers will work on their laptops, so the typing will occur regardless of it being a corporate report or someone creating music. Personally, I'd rather be working on a piece of music than a presentation while sitting for my plane to come in.

Even though I haven't had the chance to compose music while waiting for my flight, I'd like to have the option. Even though I normally sit away from everyone, being considerate, at some point the seats fill up and someone will have to either enjoy or ignore my typing (being that I "have" to prepare for the meeting in Houston - I'd rather being reading a magazine).

Jon

Dave,

post edited by musiccontinuum - 2006/04/17 16:37:22
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/17 16:39:11 (permalink)

I've gotta tell you, as i get older (I'm in my 50's) annoyances are more frequent than they used to be (and I'm pretty laid back most of the time)...People talking on cell phones in grocery stores and blocking aisles while doing so; text-messaging by folks standing in line at check-out counters when I'm in a somewhat of a hurry and they're more concerned with their "texting" than they are with leaving the store; people at the seafood counter of the local market not knowing what they want, so they have to call someone on their cell phone to decide what to have for dinner...

Oh Hell Yeah! I'm only 32, and have absolutely no patience for that kind of rudeness. Another decade and I'll be the posterboy for Crotchety.

Of course, I doubt someone tapping away at a laptop (with headphones) on a plane would get to me. In fact I'd be jealous - I wish I'd thought of putting HS on my business laptop when I made 10 cross-atlantic flights last summer. Just to rough out ideas...
    post edited by Slugbaby - 2006/04/17 16:48:01

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/17 19:57:31 (permalink)
    Can you take one of these on the airplane with your laptop?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Oxygen8-main.html

Or would it get you arrested as a terrorist?
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/17 20:09:21 (permalink)
    Only if you got everyone in your section to sing "Turn the plane around" in the key of G.
    liebre
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/17 20:36:53 (permalink)
    The fewer items you have to carry-on the better. These days you often have to pull carry-on items out of their bag (laptops, etc). And when you're traveling with clients its kind of embarrassing when they pull out your midi controller and ask you to turn it on for them.

ORIGINAL: sinc

Sloom
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/17 23:12:00 (permalink)

Only if you're the guy from "Flock of Seagulls"!

-the Grubs

Beagle
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/17 23:31:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Sloom

Only if you're the guy from "Flock of Seagulls"!

LOL! sloom! Probably only a handful of us remember who they were!
    Sloom
    RE: Using computer keyboard as MIDI controller 2006/04/17 23:33:54 (permalink)
    Yeah, heh-heh...

-the Grubs

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1