Sonar on MAC

Author
skylat
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 32
2006/06/30 15:37:12 (permalink)

Sonar on MAC

Has anyone successfully run SONAR on MAC and actually used it to record?

I tried to find an answer in the forum but many comments on it.....

He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD. Psalm 40:3

18 Replies Related Threads

Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Sonar on MAC 2006/06/30 15:59:57 (permalink)

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Sonar on MAC 2006/06/30 18:07:03 (permalink)
    At the latest Mac show they talked about the new mac coming out that with switch from Mac to PC without rebooting.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    RE: Sonar on MAC 2006/06/30 18:12:09 (permalink)
    ....see for yourself Here

-D

Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    RE: Sonar on MAC 2006/06/30 18:14:42 (permalink)
    It's already out it's called Parallel desktop or something; It's nice. A friend of mine here at work has a nice Intel-Mac laptop using parallel desktop. Just use a two button combination and the screen flips around like a a hotel door. Mac screen rotates around and the Windows XP desktop appears on the other side with your applications still running.

http://www.lowendmac.com/mac2win/06/0420.html

I like that!

Peace
    post edited by Jesse G - 2006/06/30 18:27:14

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Sid Viscous
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1532
    RE: Sonar on MAC 2006/06/30 20:02:15 (permalink)
    Now if I could only figure out why I would ever need a really expensive PC laptop that can run OSX.
    DonM
    RE: Sonar on MAC 2006/06/30 20:28:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Sid Viscous

Now if I could only figure out why I would ever need a really expensive PC laptop that can run OSX.

The answer seems obvious to me.... so that we can all learn a whole new batch of error messages....

-D

doncolga
    • Total Posts : 1519
    RE: Sonar on MAC 2006/07/02 14:58:33 (permalink)
    Hey,

I'm doing this right now and mine is totally slick; I mean really good. I have the new MacBook (not Pro, the regular one) with 2 Ghz Dual Core Intel, 667 Mhz FSB, 1 GB RAM, 60 GB hard drive, Superdrive DVD Burner, 250 GB External Hard Drive (Western Digital Lighted Drive w/USB 2/Firewire). I installed Boot Camp last Friday evening and Windows XP SP 2 after that, allocating 10 GB of the MAC drive for the Windows Partition. I've also got Windows tuned a little better for audio (http://www.musicxp.net/tuning_tips.php). So far the ONLY thing that has not worked is the Windows clock and the iSight camera.

My resource use has been pretty low compared to my old machine. My projects are not super complex, but not bare bones either. I just ran a project with about three virtual instruments, BFD (not frozen this time), about three mono guitar tracks and two stereo keyboard tracks. For kicks I added two Cakewalk plugins in each individual audio channel just to see what it would do, and processor use was around 20-30%; occasionally it would go up a little higher. I've got Waves Native PowerPack still yet to authorize on this system, so that will be next.

It renders everything really quickly; basically everything is noticeably faster. I was using a Dell Dimension 4300, 1.6 Ghz P4, 1 GB RAM, EIDE system drive (60 GB) and audio drive (80 GB). My audio interface it a Tascam FW-1804, but I just picked up an Ozonic that I want to play with a little more. I may use it for portability and laying down instruments. The headphones and preamps didn't fare well compared to the Tascam.

Thanks!

Donny
    doncolga
    RE: Sonar on MAC 2006/07/03 13:16:32 (permalink)
    Hey,

I did get Waves Native Power Pack running in Windows XP 2 via Boot Camp. At first I had a very serious problem; I've already been using Waves on my Dell Dimension, so I figured I just needed to bring over the iLok and install and it would be very smooth. When I did that I got blue screen and memory dump errors (very bad) in Windows. I tried this about four times and it did the same thing every time. Luckily, a quick e-mail to Waves tech support hooked me up to a link with a different driver, and then it worked like a charm. So far it's doing really good. Boot camp is running Windows XP2 VERY well right now; as good and better than any PC hardware that I've ever used.

Thanks,

Donny
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Sonar on MAC 2006/07/03 15:00:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Sid Viscous

I don't think I would buy an Apple computer, a friend of mine got his wife one for Christmas last year, paid $2100 for it and it's already broke twice and this time it has to go back for serivce (power supply is shot, bad caps). If my PC breaks I can get any part of it at a local store till 9:00pm and be back up and running in an hour. If I were to spend that kind of money I'd buy a guitar or a preamp, something that holds it's value. Computers are disposable, can't even get crap for them on e-bay, the value drops faster then a car. I'll stick with one I can repair and upgrade as needed.

Just because it "can be done" doesn't make it a good idea.
    DonM
    RE: Sonar on MAC 2006/07/03 16:09:02 (permalink)
    Frank:

At the university where I work during the day Macs & Dell's are sold at the campus computer store - the recomendation is no Mac shall be sold without a 3yr warranty - that chaps some folks but the Dells all have 3yr NBDO Warranty - Apple can't even come close to that for anywhere near the price.

-D

Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Sonar on MAC 2006/07/03 18:50:47 (permalink)
    Price is not the only thing to think of! When you are running in the PC mode in an intel chip you are running a PC, not a Mac, the only time it is a Mac is when it is running in Mac mode. Think this thru, a INTEL CHIP and a PC OS is a PC so why pay that kind of money just to run a PC! You still can't run Sonar in the Mac OS.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    doncolga
    RE: Sonar on MAC 2006/07/03 20:13:17 (permalink)
    Hi,

I've used Windows for years, and also OSX within the last two years. There's a whole lot about both OS's that I really like, so naturally, if I can run them both natively from one machine, then that's good for me. I definitely agree, when it's running Windows, it is a PC, and when it's running Mac, and that's a good thing. But so far, Apple Intels are the only machines that give me that ability. As far as the cost goes, that is getting a little better. I got the MacBook (2 GHz Dual Core, 1 GB Ram, 802.11 G, etc) along with AirPort for just over $1550 (with educational discount), which is with comparable PC notebooks with similar specs. I think the total discount was around $150. For people who have no interest or need for OSX, then this very probably would not be the route to take, but for me it's working great, and Windows and Sonar are doing excellent with it.

Donny
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Sonar on MAC 2006/07/04 13:38:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: doncolga
    As far as the cost goes, that is getting a little better.

I've found that the MacBook Pros pretty much cost the same as an equivalent laptop from elsewhere. When you start factoring in all the hardware you get with the MacBook (gigabit, wireless, bluetooth, DVD burner, motion sensor, et.al.) they don't cost any more than other laptops. And IMO, they're better overall hardware anyway. As far as OSX vs WinXP, I hate 'em both. (but I hate Linux the most... sorry for the digression)

I just got back from a trip to Mexico and Taiwan to visit some recording studios. I took a MacBook running Sonar to illustrate some of the techniques I was looking for in their studios and it performed flawlessly. Now if only I could get the studios to understand RMS metering...
    ooblecaboodle
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2102
    RE: Sonar on MAC 2006/07/04 17:21:24 (permalink)
    Now if only I could get the studios to understand RMS metering...

Oh dear. Stay WELL away from any studio that doesn't understand meters. I've met countless people who still refer to all meters as VUs (there's plenty on this forum) or believe that any meter that isn't a peak meter is a VU or RMS - and that there's no difference between the two!

If people can't give you their callibrated 0VU level, they shouldn't be charging you money for your time.

Oh, and incidentaly, the amount of people (I've met) who thoroughly misunderstand PPMs is even higher than RMS/VU/peak/K added together!
    CBJ
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 54
    Re: RE: Sonar on MAC 2013/07/02 21:29:45 (permalink)
    RMS, PMS, PPM, VU, PU, who cares! Or let me put it mildly not to offend those of you who have made it your goal in life and bring it to our attention! Lets see, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, and probably 95% of the real artists leave it to the technicians like you folks to do their thing in this industry. We don't go around condemning your opinion in this field so I don't think it's necessary to educate all of us by scorning simply because we don't pay attention to the technical aspect of the recording industry.
    I've heard a lot of recordings that did not pay attention to the technical aspects and have made it in a big way. Lets see there was American Woman by the Lenny Kravitz, Rolling Stones had lots of real masterpieces, etc. etc.you know what I mean! Come on guys! This is suppose to be fun! If I need to be scorned even in the one thing that I still enjoy, then I should really move on! I know you mean well fellas but lets face it, music is for the ears not the eyes so the ears can't see the RMS, PMS, PPM, VU, or PU meters!
    This post is just to lighten up this forum and put a smile on our face so we can laugh at ourselves.
    So, have fun guys!
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: RE: Sonar on MAC 2013/07/02 21:59:07 (permalink)
    Why dig up a seven year old thread?
    post edited by scook - 2013/07/02 22:00:41
    Chregg
    Max Output Level: -51.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2382
    Re: RE: Sonar on MAC 2013/07/03 06:19:02 (permalink)
    hes obviously a grave robber
    Chregg
    Max Output Level: -51.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2382
    Re: RE: Sonar on MAC 2013/07/03 06:23:06 (permalink)
    "RMS, PMS, PPM, VU, PU, who cares! Or let me put it mildly not to offend those of you who have made it your goal in life and bring it to our attention!"

"I know you mean well fellas but lets face it, music is for the ears not the eyes so the ears can't see the RMS, PMS, PPM, VU, or PU meters!" what alot of Bull++++, you don't know what you are talking about, metering is so important !!

post edited by Chregg - 2013/07/03 07:21:12
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1