Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
2006/09/09 14:17:42 (permalink)

Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside

Hey all,

I spent a bit of time going over a topic that comes up often around the Sonar forums and one with which I'm pretty familiar. I thought I'd share the information now that there is an efficient way to do so.

This video is about 15 minutes long and goes through the details of setting up a drum map, using one, and a few examples of how they can be beneficial that I use.

This is a supreme way to get rid of the need for a split notes to tracks CAL, and adds a lot more enjoyment to drum editing.

Please let me know what you think of it. I will be (by request) doing one of these on automation envelopes, but I have to get a few details down for myself to do it. I'm open to other topic requests as well, if you have them. Eventually, I'll have quite a catalog

Enjoy!

Check in the Sonar section of my website at www.blades85.com

One day I'll get a quality LOOKING video uploaded. I'm doing my best with the free space
edit: Updated video location.
post edited by Blades - 2009/10/23 12:38:54

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web

64 Replies Related Threads

Lay In Wait
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1764
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/09 14:26:42 (permalink)
    1 quick question, Why do you have Windows system sounds enabled?

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core i7 920, Asus p6td deluxe, Sonar X1c PE, Motu 2408 mk3, Apogee Mini DAC, 3x UAD-1, Digimax FS, Motu Microlite, MCU, Tranzport, Nocturn. And more...
    StormAngel
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/09 14:28:07 (permalink)
    Nice! Thanks! I'm sure many will find this useful...
    Blades
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/09 14:29:50 (permalink)
    Lay in Wait. Some things I actually wanted to wind up there and I'm having to do a little bit of funky routing to get everything to record at the same time in two applications, so those "ticks" of Internet Explorer are actually the Sonar Forum Page refreshing! I usually don't have the sounds enabled OR my SBLive even mixed anyplace beacause I like to keep it clean, but for this demo, I certainly didn't want to go back and redo because of it.

Blades
    Lay In Wait
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1764
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/09 14:43:09 (permalink)
    Thats cool! Your efforts are appreciated, I just had to ask

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core i7 920, Asus p6td deluxe, Sonar X1c PE, Motu 2408 mk3, Apogee Mini DAC, 3x UAD-1, Digimax FS, Motu Microlite, MCU, Tranzport, Nocturn. And more...
    Quasar
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 316
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/09 14:50:44 (permalink)
    Awesome, thank you. The video content is very clearly laid out and easy to understand. If the free upload space makes the image iteself less than pristine, I don't think it matters, because anyone who has Sonar can easily see what you're pointing to. Thanks again for sharing this on the forums.
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/09 14:55:08 (permalink)
    Wow Blades, you're on a roll with this stuff! Thanks much.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    TwentyTimesSeven
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/09 15:00:59 (permalink)
    Good job!

Thank you.

20x7

Blades
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/09 15:02:11 (permalink)
    I've had a little extra time for the last few weekends - and I'm trying to learn the software - I just got it last week and I'm trying to find interesting things to demo and trying out different features of the application. I mentioned in the other thread that I'm trying to get the skills up to be able to some professional examples of this - like with MS Office and the like.

Thanks for the compliments thus far. Glad the vids are appreciated.

Blades
    higain_guitar
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 294
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/09 15:44:29 (permalink)
    nice job
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/09 16:28:26 (permalink)
    Blades,

Just watched your video, and it's quite good, really helps wrap one's head around the drum map concept a little more comprehensively than Sonar's materials do, so hat's off to you for that!

It's unfortunate that your tutorial also reveals that drum maps are, for lack of a better phrase, still big fat pain in the arse. Sure, once they're setup it's more helpful, but sheesh that setup looks interminable! Plus, in the end you gotta know the note numbers of all your preferred drum hits, which seems kinda crazy. I can barely remember my own phone number!

One thing your tutorial doesn't mention if it's possible, which is the rapid naming of notes. It seems you have to pull up the properties for each note to name them in a map. Could you just toggle through the "name" fields in a map and quickly markup your map? (hrm, I suppose this is something I should just check out and answer myself!)

Still, great job! I look forward to your Sonar DVD tutorial!

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Dale Aston
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1204
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/09 16:43:22 (permalink)
    Blades -

Outstanding job! Can't wait for the the subsequent tutorials.

Only shortfalls are the quality of the video limits detail on the screen (can't read the numbers). GREAT otherwisde.

Thanks
    Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/09 16:44:49 (permalink)
    good stuff man. thanks!

The Poodle Chews It.

jimack
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1814
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/09 17:11:05 (permalink)
    Blades, excellent job again. Thank you. Can't wait to see the one on Automation Envelopes.

-- Jim

Sonar 7 PE, P5 v2.5, 3.4Ghz P4, 2GB RAM, MAudio 2496PCI, Event TR6, PodXT, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-C3, MAudio Axiom 61, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gretsch 5296, Fender Strat, Larrivee D03R, Martin D12-28, Martin D16-R, etc
    My Favorites
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 744
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/09 17:26:39 (permalink)
    You the ROCK..!

Pleaseeeee, record your room even with webcam... I want see how is your setup.... your V drum sounds giant..!

I seen your previous tutorial too.. Hope you continue your lessons.. Brilliant..!!!!

How many tutorial you made before.. I only aware 2 of them

Thanks a lot....!!!
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/09 18:01:54 (permalink)
    Perfect timing. I am just getting into them. Thanks again for another great resource. BTW, does anyone have drum maps for the Roland Groove Synth kits? (I posted this in another thread before I saw this one)

As I'm starting to understand it, a drum map is sort of like a splitter, not unlike plugging a power strip into a wall outlet. A "normal" MIDI track outputs on one channel - like a synth. You could play a drum kit from a synth on one MIDI channel - i.e. channel 10. However the cool thing about a drum map is that aside from the piano roll view changing to a mode where each instrument can be named by the user (very cool), by using a drum map, each note can have its own MIDI channel and output. So you could be using a variety of sound sources, each on their own MIDI channel, all within one drum map.

I haven't checked out the video yet, but I will.

The pain in the arse (as someone else put it) is the way you have to set them up. So far I have not found an elegant way. But they are a useful tool, that's for sure.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    mewsician2
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1078
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/10 08:48:47 (permalink)
    Thanks very much!
    Regards,
    markheath
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/10 09:39:04 (permalink)
    Very useful
    thanks
    donald
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 424
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/10 09:50:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for that. Really helpful.
    How about remapping a whole kit from one with a drum map to another with a drum map. Can this "merge" be done automatically or is it manual work? Ultimately I would need to set up a matrix with all the kits that I have, so I can change from any kit to any other. That's a lot of mapping to do:
    jeffn1
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 906
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/10 10:41:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ...wicked

Blades,

Just watched your video, and it's quite good, really helps wrap one's head around the drum map concept a little more comprehensively than Sonar's materials do, so hat's off to you for that!

It's unfortunate that your tutorial also reveals that drum maps are, for lack of a better phrase, still big fat pain in the arse. Sure, once they're setup it's more helpful, but sheesh that setup looks interminable! Plus, in the end you gotta know the note numbers of all your preferred drum hits, which seems kinda crazy. I can barely remember my own phone number!

One thing your tutorial doesn't mention if it's possible, which is the rapid naming of notes. It seems you have to pull up the properties for each note to name them in a map. Could you just toggle through the "name" fields in a map and quickly markup your map? (hrm, I suppose this is something I should just check out and answer myself!)

Still, great job! I look forward to your Sonar DVD tutorial!

I agree. I always thought there must be an easier way to set up drum maps.

jeffn1

If you would like to check out original progressive electronic rock, here it is:

http://www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness
    Blades
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/10 10:54:51 (permalink)
    Actually, some of the editing can be done faster via the drum map manager rather than the map properties for each individual note. From there, as long as your notes already exist, which is why I just went ahead and put all my notes in via midi ahead of time in the video, you can change the name, port, channel, whatever. And if you want to change more than one row of the table at once, you just hold down ctrl-shift when you select the option for one of the row and that parameter will be set to the new value for all rows, so the "channel 10" change could really have been done in one set of clicks (which is how I did it for my "full" kit.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the way that I do things, I only use my vdrums to input the data, so I put every possible note that kit can produce in my map - then I can reuse the map for any project and it'll work.

I realize that I still have work to do in regards to the material in the videos - they are really pretty adhoc - I just record it as I am doing it, so it's not as structured as it could be and it misses out on some features. Fortunately, I'm not trying to sell these!

Blades
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/10 12:06:23 (permalink)
    Great stuff and thank you. I did not know I could get a consolidate view of the drum data. I have been scrolling up and down the keyboard map for years looking for midi data mapped across the keyboard. This is much more useful.
    tonester
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 823
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/10 13:47:44 (permalink)
    awesome..........

thanks!

Tony
    www.myspace.com/livesayrox
    Blades
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/10 13:48:50 (permalink)
    Thanks Middleman - that's one of the prime benefits for me. My vdrum kit lays stuff out all over the place beacause most of the pads have moret han one trigger, so they fall well outside of the GM mapping that the basic kit parts generally fall in. Getting ONLY the notes I want to see, ALL the notes I want to see, Named, and in order would be worth using it, even if you couldn't remap the note numbers or ports.

I'd like to see a few things done, however:

1. Some more intelligent creation of the maps. Even though my map is now set up completely the way I want it, it's still a nuassance, especially if you change things around a lot. It's not terribly hard, just a little inconvenient. Like in the case of wanting to set all the notes to channel 10 - you have to get them to show in in the drum map preset, but the only way that seems to reliably get them there is to modify SOME piece of their data - THEN everything can be handled from the manager. I certainly might just be missing something.

2. Velocities being able to change note numbers would be very helpful - so I could map my vdrums to i-map or some other esoteric layout that splits different velocity samples to different keys.

3. I'd like to see remappable controller info as well - since the Roland TD series brains send out controller 4 for the hi-hat pedal and most sample sets have absolutely no idea how to handle this, it would be cool if you could set thresholds for kicking different note number. The same could apply for getting location information from the TD-series snare pads, which send cc#16 dependant upon WHERE on the head you hit it - to the TD-20 brain, this means something and it sounds appropriately, but to most sample libs, this is not the case - again it would be nice to be able to at least focus that only a different sample at some thresholds.

there are tons of features that would make these even better, but we've unfortunately not seen any progressive change with the drum maps in a few versions and I don't see any mention of changes coming in 6 either...but they work the way they are, just could be a lot more powerful and easy, at least for me.

Blades
    Blades
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/12 10:01:04 (permalink)
    One more bump...

Blades
    Steve Mac
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 730
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/12 10:46:09 (permalink)
    This video is about 15 minutes long

Blades:

When I clicked on the link nothing loaded, and at the bottom it says "error on page." I then searched Google video for "sonar drum maps" and found the video, but when I clicked on the link I got the same message.

Tried it in both IE and AOL, and got the same problem. Are you aware of any linkage problems, or is it just at my end?

Thanks

Steve McNamara ~~ SignatureTunes Studios~~SoundClick

Blades
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/12 12:14:38 (permalink)
    Still working ok from here.

Blades
    VariousArtist
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1397
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/12 13:51:14 (permalink)
    Hey Blades

What a great idea to put these tutorials up on Google Video. It seems so obvious now, but this is the first time I've seen this done and could pave the way for many more users to share their knowledge and workflow. I especially enjoyed this drum map video because it explains its usage in practical terms. I asked for this feature back in the pre-Sonar days (long before this forum) and the irony is I don't use it as much as I thought I would. Just watching your video reminds me why I wanted this feature and your casual approach makes it easy to watch. Great job indeed! And so cool of you to post it and share...

Blades
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/12 14:42:22 (permalink)
    Thanks, Mr. VariousArtist. I think it may be a bit too casual, and I've been "criticized" by a co-worker that a 15 minute video would be WAY too long - is it? Or is that the right pace and length for the depth presented?

I'd like to get more form to it in the "planning to record" stage, without making it stuffy, but also streamlining how big the resulting vid is so that I can present it someplace in better than youtube/google video quality.

What do you guys think?

Blades
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    RE: Sonar Drum Maps - How and Why - Tutorial Inside 2006/09/12 14:46:50 (permalink)
    I wish they had a learn button in the Drum map manager. That would be a time saver. It's available for control interfaces but would be useful in this environment too.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1