Splitting MIDI to multiple tracks

Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
2006/10/02 08:19:44
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to take a MIDI file produced by Band in a Box and bring it into Sonar. BIAB puts out one single MIDI file though (not sure how the data is separated - channels?), and I want to break up each instrument into it's own MIDI track. The help mentioned something about a CAL file that would do this, but I couldn't figure out how to run a CAL file or where to find a CAL file from the help text.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
torhan
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
RE: Splitting MIDI to multiple tracks 2006/10/02 08:23:56
Maybe you could use the Interpolate filter to select all notes on say, Channel 1, etc.? Then cut and paste to new tracks as needed.

If you find a CAL that splits "midi channels to tracks," all you would do is highlight the midi clips, Process (or is it Edit?) > Run Cal > CALNAME. Then you'll probably have a choice of destination tracks, etc.
smallstonefan
RE: Splitting MIDI to multiple tracks 2006/10/02 08:25:41
Thanks torhan,

Maybe someone will have info on finding that CAL file - sound a LOT easier than the filter! :) I'll contact BIAB too and see what they can tell me about how the data is stored in that MIDI file.
WhyBe
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
RE: Splitting MIDI to multiple tracks 2006/10/02 09:03:14
It's a CAL file called Split MIDI to Tracks. It should come on any CPA/Sonar install CD. You can also download CAL files from the net.

I believe you run CAL files from the Process menu. Also you can keybind CAL files,but first, make sure in Options->Global->Folders that CAL files are referenced properly.
post edited by WhyBe - 2006/10/02 09:17:53
daveny5
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
RE: Splitting MIDI to multiple tracks 2006/10/02 09:05:50
I use Band-in-a-Box to save MIDI files that I import into Sonar and it always puts each instrument on a separate track. Make sure when you save to a MIDI file in BIAB to tell it to save to a Type 1 MIDI file. Type 1 files are multitrack files, with each part on a separate track. There is also an option to save a Type 1 file with Drums on separate tracks. This puts each drum instrument on a separate track. Type 0 files put all instruments on a single track.

smallstonefan
RE: Splitting MIDI to multiple tracks 2006/10/02 09:45:49
MIDI file. Type 1 files are multitrack files, with each part on a separate track. There is also an option to save a Type 1 file with Drums on separate tracks. This puts each drum instrument on a separate track. Type 0 files put all instruments on a single track.

Hi Dave,

How do you import the MIDI file in Sonar? I've dragged the file from explorer to a MIDI track, but that didn't do the trick...
daveny5
RE: Splitting MIDI to multiple tracks 2006/10/02 09:59:27
You don't really import it. Just File-Open and select the file. When you save it, Save As a CWP file.
post edited by daveny5 - 2006/10/02 10:16:22
smallstonefan
RE: Splitting MIDI to multiple tracks 2006/10/02 10:01:52
Interesting - this works in an existing project? I guess I assumed that File>Open was only for opening Sonar projects...

I can't wait to try it, thanks! :)
daveny5
RE: Splitting MIDI to multiple tracks 2006/10/02 10:10:26
No.... Did you mention it was for an existing project? For an existing project, while you have that project open, open the MIDI file into another project and then you have to cut and paste or drag and drop the MIDI tracks between the two projects.
daveny5
RE: Splitting MIDI to multiple tracks 2006/10/02 10:11:31
No.... Did you mention it was for an existing project? For an existing project, while you have that project open, open the MIDI file into another project and then you have to cut and paste or drag and drop the MIDI tracks between the two projects.
smallstonefan
RE: Splitting MIDI to multiple tracks 2006/10/02 10:11:42
Ah, that's it! No wonder I couldn't figure out how to import it into an existing project.

Thanks Dave - I'm really anxious to play with this...