Pitch Shift/Time Stretch to new tempo/key

Author
Vovchik
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 847
2006/11/08 08:15:14 (permalink)

Pitch Shift/Time Stretch to new tempo/key

Sonar allows to transpose and stretch audio in many ways. Recently I tryed to fit some vocal phrase into a project. Original vocal was taken from sampling CD. It was in F major and 140 bpm. I created remix project in the key of Ab major and with tempo 135 bpm. Therefore I needed to transpose audio by minor 3rd up and stretch it from 140 to 135 bpm. I also wanted the formant of the vocal not to be shifted.

Original vocal phrase:
http://www.box.net/public/hxsajtmrfp

First I select the clip, open clip properties and check "Stretch to project tempo".

Then I double-click the clip and set Transients Detection at 100% and Pitch at +3.

The result:
http://www.box.net/public/jl963gl3db

There are echoes, and the formant is shifted, making munchkin effect.

Next method I tryed was Transpose Audio from Process menu.

There is formant shift, but it is expressed in terms of 10th of octave! What should I enter in this field if I want the formant not to be shifted? Vocal is transposed up by minor 3rd; there are four minor thirds in octave; so I enter -2.5 and choose Radius Vocal algorhythm.
http://www.box.net/public/62ft04osul

The quality of pitch-shifting is good, but what's with the formant? It's wrong. You can't simply keep formant at original pitch. You have to shift it in opposite direction and you have to deal with decimal fractures of octave, which are not musical intervals. There is no time-stretch option, so to fit the phrase into new tempo I slip-stretch the clip. Slip-stretching expresses length in percents. The question is: by how many percent should I stretch the clip to change its tempo from 140 to 135 bpm? Calculation shows 104%.

Quality of stretching in this case is good,
http://www.box.net/public/fsliced2mo
but if you'll try bigger percentage, you'll hear audible artefacts.

Next method I tryed was V-Vocal. It handles formant right way - by semitones, and transposing is easy.

There is also time-stretching, but you don't know exact amount of stretching in order to get from one tempo to another.

Sound quality of transposition in V-Vocal is good in most cases.
http://www.box.net/public/sx2lls4mb9
Sometimes, if audio level is low, V-Vocal produses artefacts. It does not recognize low level audio signal.

My last attempt was using Cakewalk Time Pitch Stretch 2 plugin.

Again, tempo change expressed in terms of percentage and formant shift in terms of decimal fractures. Why? Musicians don't think percentage and 10th of octave, they think BPM and semitones.

Here is the result:
http://www.box.net/public/gi108imxkb

(I intentionally omit Audio Snap method. My experience with Audio Snap on vocals was completely unsatisfactory, especially with Radius Vocal type of stretching. I always got echoes and artefacts.)

So, what's the point?
In Sonar we have 5 different methods of pitch(formant)-shifting and time stretching.

1. Stretch to Project Tempo. Pros: fits clip into new tempo automaticaly, allows pitch shifting. Cons: no formant-shifting, unacceptable audio quality.

2. Process > Transpose Audio. Pros: easy to use, allows formant shift. Cons: no time-stretching, confusing formant-shift input, Radius produces strong artefacts if transposes to wide intervals.

3. Slip Stretch. Pros: easy, intuitive way of stretching. Cons: no pitch-shifting, percentage input instead of tempos, Radius algorhythm produces audible artefacts if stretches more than 120%.

4. V-Vocal. Pros: proper formant handling, good audio quality. Cons: doesn't recognize low-level waveforms, no way to figure out exact stretching amount in order to fit to new tempo.

5. Cakewalk Time Pitch Stretch 2. Pros: best sound quality of five reviewed. Cons: percentage instead of tempo, confusing decimal fracture formant-shift input.

My question is: why five? Cakewalk, please give us simple and intuitive tool for simultaneous transposing and stretching of audio with ability to keep formant. With simple interface which might be looking like this
post edited by Vovchik - 2006/11/09 13:25:01

5 Replies Related Threads

Honest_Al
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3642
    RE: Pitch Shift/Time Stretch to new tempo/key 2006/11/08 16:30:21 (permalink)
    wow..

First, I don't know much about formant shifting.. thanks for doing this and posting the results here!

The box.net site is many ok for playing the mp3 files (it would help if the site was faster) but for the pics you posted it's horrible.. i'm sure that the main reason this post went to page 2 without any replies is the host you chose, it has a small thumbnail and a download button instead of just showing you the jpg file..or even better, you could use a site that lets you post here using the "image" button..you just paste in here the url for the file, select the url's text and click on the "image" button..it would be so much easier for everyone to see.

you could use http://imageshack.us/ or http://electronicfiles.net/ .. WARNING - I use some web filtering and Pop-Up blocking here..i'm sure these kind of sites would open some unwanted pop-up windows without these.

So, what's the point?
    In Sonar we have 5 different methods of pitch(formant)-shifting and time stretching

I understand the frustration my friend! sometimes it's good to have some extra options around but i agree it got very confusing in Sonar (i'm sure you noticed how many threads we see here daily with questions about either simple audio timing/pitch tasks or sometimes the more advanced ones...)

I still gotta try the audiosnap feature more.. from all those posts I see i'm not sure I even wanna try it for now

Good luck, I hope you'll get some good replies here soon (anything would be better than mine )
    Vovchik
    RE: Pitch Shift/Time Stretch to new tempo/key 2006/11/08 18:59:48 (permalink)
    I agree about pictures, that was big mistake. I just wanted to keep all the examples in one place. Tonight I'll fix it.

Formant shift is important part of audio pitch-shifting. Formants are certain frequencies which give the voice its unique character. Male vocal's formants differ from female ones. If you transpose vocals, all the formants follow transposition. As a result you have either Munchkin or Dart Vader depending on which direction you transpose. To avoid this sindrom, pitch-shifting tool must allow you not to shift formants, so the character of the voice remains unchanged.
    post edited by Vovchik - 2006/11/08 19:28:09
    Vovchik
    RE: Pitch Shift/Time Stretch to new tempo/key 2006/11/09 13:11:20 (permalink)
    I just fixed picture display, I hope the message is more readable now.
    Honest_Al
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3642
    RE: Pitch Shift/Time Stretch to new tempo/key 2006/11/09 18:00:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Vovchik

I just fixed picture display, I hope the message is more readable now.

Thanks, it's much easier to read and watch now!

Formant shift is important part of audio pitch-shifting. Formants are certain frequencies which give the voice its unique character

Thanks for the reply, I do know the basics I guess.. below you gave some more details about how to adjust the formant shifting and that what i was actually had in mind, I just use formant shifting by ear more or less.. I don't think it's that bad ;)

I see your point about the values there (Decimal) now -

There is formant shift, but it is expressed in terms of 10th of octave! What should I enter in this field if I want the formant not to be shifted?

The quality of pitch-shifting is good, but what's with the formant? It's wrong. You can't simply keep formant at original pitch. You have to shift it in opposite direction and you have to deal with decimal fractures of octave, which are not musical intervals

in V-Vocal -
    There is also time-stretching, but you don't know exact amount of stretching in order to get from one tempo to another

yup, anyone has the answers for these?
    sonickg
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1007
    RE: Pitch Shift/Time Stretch to new tempo/key 2006/11/09 23:39:37 (permalink)
    Actually my findings as well, I might be wrong but I suspect that the radius program is not yet properly implemented in Sonar 6 as izotopes other programs seem truly amazing, radius is also used in pro-tools, just a thought, I must say though that Sonar 6 has so many new features that I am gradually finding, learning and using to great effect that I am sure that these programs will soon find there remedy, its curious how easy this implemetation is in Samplitude you simply change the tempo on the screen and the speed increases or decreases you set it at the point with the least artifacts, its really quite good, I used to use it this program for mastering again really quite good, probably my choice next to Ozone, guess I wonder if it could be used as an external editor that shows up in a Sonar menu,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1