Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Plyrman
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1062
2006/11/29 10:49:27 (permalink)

EQ/Mixing....HELP

Hey guys and gals.....

I'm doin Jazz and R&B....and the mix down process is driving me nuts......I can basically get everything where I want it except for the "kick and bass" ....the two most important elements......I purchased the Mixing Engineers Handbook, which helps ..but still the kick and bass are not where they should be....

I guess I'm searchin for some "actual" settings....The "Handbook" just gives you the "frequencies"...but not actual settings....

The kick and bass are either too loud or too low...meaning I get a rumble instead of hearing the instruments clearly....

At present...I've got the kick bottom around 80 and cuting 8db....the top at 2K and cutting 2db...I get a little confused with the two bands in the middle...so nothing there....

the bass settings are..bottom....130 cutting 4db ...800 boost of 4db and the top at 5k cutting around 2db....

when I play the mix....I have the levels down but after burning to CD and listening...they still sound "Boomy"....??? If anyone has any tips ...well THANKS very much in advance.....

Mike G.
Sonar X3 Custom Build: IntelCore2Quad, 16 gig Ram, Asus Z87-Plus, Internal 200GB SATA HDD (1) 320GB SATA HDD (2), Motif Rack, Roland Juno-G, Trigger Finger, Keystation 88, Tascam FW1082, JBL 4328's

87 Replies Related Threads

rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/29 11:52:46 (permalink)
    Hi, Plyrman

And have you tried doing Nothing with the EQ first, to hear how the kick and bass are sounding? If you're working with MIDI and samples, often there's no or very little EQing that needs doing. I just want to make sure you're not assuming those sounds automatically need tweaking. Volume faders do a lot for what you're talking about.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/29 12:11:15 (permalink)
    First, pull down all the faders. We're going to start over completely from scratch. Turn up the kick and snare and get them so they're hitting about -6dB. Don't worry about anything but the levels right now, just get those two instruments sounding good together. One of the reasons it's hard to provide "settings" is because every instrument and recording is different. So I'm going to show you how to make your own "settings" for your track.

Take your equalizer and dial in a boost of around +12dB with a sharp Q (maybe 2 or so). Now, start to sweep that through the frequencies and listen to the effect that it has on the kick. You are looking to identify three specific components of the sound: The dull "thump" (probably somewhere between 60-120 Hz), the "click" of the beater head (probably somewhere in the upper midrange, 2-6kHz or so), and the round, boomy "note" of the resonating drum (probably between 100-250 Hz). As soon as you find any of these "sweet spots," stop. Leave your eq node "parked" at that spot as a marker, and bypass that frequency or turn it down to flat. We are not going to DO anything with these frequencies right now, we just want to identify where they are, because they will be useful later.

Wherever you find the "thump" of the kick drum is the lowest useful frequency, so take a highpass filter (low cut) and roll off everything below that "thump" frequency. If you feel that's too drastic or you want to leave something for the subwoofer fiends, use a shelving filter instead and turn it down by 6dB or so. This is going to clean up rumble and subsonics that will eat up headroom and waste your time.

Next bring up the bass and get that to fit in good with the kick and snare pattern. Use the same technique as above to roll off the ultralows, and also roll off the extreme highs of the bass, say above 10k or so-- the only stuff that lives up there is hiss and fizz. Now to identify the useful range of the bass. Unless your bass player plays slap style (please tell me she doesn't), the bass is likely to need one full octave and only one octave to really be the bass. so we're going to look for one octave of the frequency range that best showcases the stuff that is really critical to the bass.

Bring up a high shelf and a low shelf filter on your equalizer and dial them down 12dB or so each. Now drag the frequency points so they turn down everything but the octave from say 100Hz to 200Hz (An octave=a doubling in frequency). Now bypass the equalizer and A/B that with the bandwidth-limited sound. Do you need more lows? if so, drag the filters down to see how low you must go. If you need to go higher, go higher. Just remember we are hoping to identify one octave, so if you go up to 300Hz, try and cut the lows at 150Hz and so on. You don't have to be religious about it or anything, you just want to really try to narrow your focus and decide what's important.

Once you have identified a range of about an octave (you can go a little wider if you have to), bypass the eq but keep the nodes in place. Again, we're not USING these eqs to modify the sound right now, we're just establishing "markers" that tell us where the boundaries are. Those boundaries mark out sacred ground that the bass must have full ownership of. When you start to dial in other instruments, they are going to "mask" parts of the bass sound, and that's fine. They may cover up the string articulation and that nice woody tone and all that and it's sad but it's okay, because other instruments do mids and highs better than the bass does. But none of them should mask this range of frequencies. They might share it a little bit if the bass doesn't mind, they might overlap it a little, but the bass must dominate this octave. If another instrument is causing problems, eq this range out of that instrument.

So now we know where the important parts are of the kick and the bass. Start to bring up your other instruments, vocals first, and get THOSE instruments to sit in the mix with the bass and drums, not the other way around. If the kick drum starts to sound too boomy, you just turn down the "note" frequency that you marked earlier. If it needs more "thump", you just put a couple dB boost on the magic button. You can make little changes that are so small you don't even hear them as a change, they just make things seem to fit better and "feel" right. And remember, the eq settings we used above were just as a tool to FIND those places, they are not the settings we use to sculpt the sound. If I wanted a little more "click" to help the kick cut through the mix I'd prolly start with about 3dB boost Q around 1-1.3, whatever sounds good. Make sure to make these adjustments with the whole mix playing.

Oh, and turn down your speakers. Way down. Mix quiet, like below conversation level. It will help you to keep everything balanced and in perspective. And take frequent breaks.

Next chapter is on compression.

Cheers.
    Plyrman
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/29 12:12:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rbowser

Hi, Plyrman

And have you tried doing Nothing with the EQ first, to hear how the kick and bass are sounding? If you're working with MIDI and samples, often there's no or very little EQing that needs doing. I just want to make sure you're not assuming those sounds automatically need tweaking. Volume faders do a lot for what you're talking about.

Randy
    rbowser

you are correct...I thought about that....since the sounds are coming from the Motif rack...they may not need much "tweaking" at all......

I give it another listen this evening....

thanks for your input.....

Mike G.
    Sonar X3 Custom Build: IntelCore2Quad, 16 gig Ram, Asus Z87-Plus, Internal 200GB SATA HDD (1) 320GB SATA HDD (2), Motif Rack, Roland Juno-G, Trigger Finger, Keystation 88, Tascam FW1082, JBL 4328's
    Plyrman
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/29 12:17:25 (permalink)
    Wow Yep.....

didn't scroll down and see your response at first....WOW ...now that's what I'm talkin bout!!!!!.....reference points...I know all the nuances are different but there are still those "reference points" to get started......I will definitely give it a shot this evening.....and let you know what happens tommorrow.....

Thanks VERY MUCH for your input. (I'll mention you..when they hand me the "Grammy") ;-)
    post edited by Plyrman - 2006/11/29 12:42:55

Mike G.
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/29 13:29:30 (permalink)
    Yep, you're a great tutor. I've leanred some from you about micing technique, and now this. I'm lookingforward to the chapter on compression. As s new user, I've found that compressing certain frequencies leaves a track sounding flat, dull. But compress the right ones, and it makes the track bright. It's still hit or miss for me, but I'm learning, thanks to guys like you (and others too numerous to mention here).
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Plyrman
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/29 13:55:47 (permalink)
    Hey Yep....just something I want to be clear on.....

From your second paragraph ...where you mention turning the eq dial....

I'm using the per track eq feature in Sonar 5 producer....and I want to understand when you say "sweep that through the frequencies"

It has (4) bands of EQ..and a boost/cut for each band.....and the (Q) . Are you saying boost all 4 bands to +12db and adjust each one for the "three components...??? As an example.. top band....+12db 2-6khz and listen for when the "click" starts to change...the third band down for the 60-120khz. at +12db..and listen for the "thump" range....then the bottom band at +12db and listen for the boomy note range... around 100-200hz....??

post edited by Plyrman - 2006/11/29 14:13:44

Mike G.
    yep
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/29 14:02:31 (permalink)
    It doesn't matter which node you use, they all overlap and can cross over each other. Use one band at a time. Just grab one and start sweeping it up and down looking for aspects of the sound that are interesting, annoying, or otherwise useful to know about, starting with the three I described.

Cheers.
    Plyrman
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/29 14:09:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: yep

It doesn't matter which node you use, they all overlap and can cross over each other. Use one band at a time. Just grab one and start sweeping it up and down looking for aspects of the sound that are interesting, annoying, or otherwise useful to know about, starting with the three I described.

Cheers.

That's what I thought...just wanted to be sure.....I "do" get what you are saying now....just some of the "terminology" went over my head.....

Again...THANK YOU very much....(maybe I'll get a cough and leave work early. ;-) can't wait to try your suggestions)

Mg
    post edited by Plyrman - 2006/11/29 14:27:27

Mike G.
    Drumz
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 323
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/29 20:28:02 (permalink)
    Yep, thanks for posting these in depth steps. They are very helpful to us who are trying to figure this stuff out. I look forward to your compression post.

Sonar 8 PE, Windows 7 32 bit, Intel w/H55 chipset, Intel Core i5 3.2GHz,2x Seagate 500GB SATA,4GB DDR3/1333, Presonus FP10, Roland TD 20, Mapex Maple, Paistie, and a bunch of other noise making stuff.
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/30 08:25:43 (permalink)
    Yep, thanks for that!
    I'm printing it out, along with your "recording vocals" suggestions from a couple of weeks ago.
    Are you writing a book on this? You probably should be!

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    yep
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/30 09:41:41 (permalink)
    Compression:

I'm going to do this a little backwards, so bear with me. I'm first going to describe the theory of compression, the whys and wherefores, and then describe how to actually use the compressor. So if it seems like I'm skipping over stuff, be patient. This is a big topic.

Bass, kick and snare almost always call for some degree of compression in conventional popular music production. These are the most critical elements of the mix, and they are also some of the most prone to wide dynamic fluctuations. Modern popular music tends to have a very fat, full, saturated sound, with electric guitars, organs, synthesizers, multi-layered vocals, and other elements that create a "wall of sound." Drums on the other hand have a very "spiky" dynamic sound that can sound wimpy behind these fat, flat, modern electronic instruments, unless you either turn all the other instruments way down or find some way to fatten and even out the drums. Similarly, bass can be difficult to control in a dense mix. The bass is notoriously prone to wide swings in level from one note to the next, in part simply because of the nature of the instrument, and in part for pshychoacoustical reasons that are a topic for another thread. This can lead to the infamous disappearing/reappearing bass line or the equally notorious bass note that would be king. Compression offers a solution to all of these problems, and also offers some opportunities for creative sound sculpting that can really make your music move and groove the way envision it.

There are two basic strategies for using compression that we'll take one at a time. the first and most basic use of compression is to transparently even out the dynamics so that the instrument sounds the same as it did pre-compression, but it maintains a more consistent overall level. "more consistent overall level" could mean a few different things. It could mean that each individual note or drum hit maintains its original dynamic profile, but that the level is more consistent from one note to the next, or it could mean that the individual notes themselves are modified for instance to reduce the peak level so you can bring up the "body" or sustain of the sound relative to the other instruments in the mix. Both of these goals can be achieved with great transparency using modern digital compressor plugins including the Sonitus compressor.

by "transparently," I mean that compression is applied in a way that does not perceptibly change the "sound" of the instrument. This means that using this kind of compression can be somewhat tricky for the novice, because unlike say reverb or distortion the compressor can be hard to hear if done properly, even with quite heavy compression. It doesn't "sound" like an effect. In fact, that's the point-- to make the sound of the compressor transparent. If you can hear the compressor as an effect, you're doing it wrong.

With practice, you learn to sort of "feel" the way the compressor affects the breathing and pulsing of the music. But when you're first starting out, it is critical to use your meters. You need to look at both the track's output meter (the cakewalk "track" meter, preferably set to RMS+peak), and the compressor's gain reduction meter. Make sure you are looking at the gain reduction meter on the compressor-- many have a meter that switches between showing different things. You will use these meters in conjunction to see what you're doing to the sound. I'll describe later how this actually works, but for now I just want to cover the theory.

The second type of compression is what I'm going to call "saturation"-style compression. This can sometimes be achieved without even using a compressor. When you overdrive certain high-quality analog audio equipment, there is a gradual compression and "soft clipping" that occurs before the ugly, distorted clipping sets in. This is especially true of tube equipment and analog tape. The effect is that peaks are limited, and a warm harmonic "fire" or "fullness" is added to the sound, along with a hyped-up sense of detail. An extreme example is of this phemonenon is guitar distortion, and you may actually be surprised at how effective a distortion pedal can be when used on drums in a dense mix. You can often apply surprisingly heavy amounts of distortion to drums before they start to sound noticably affected.

This type of saturation can be achieved with a variety of special "vintage" or "warming" style compressor plugins, and also with any number of dedicated effects or hardware components, including some effects that aren't really intended as compressors at all. This is an area to get creative and play around. Saturation effects can be a subtle, musical way to add new colors and textures to your recordings. Blockfish by digitalfishphones is a good free plugin that can get you started.

Note that whatever type of compression you use, you should make your compressor settings while listening to the whole mix, not to a soloed track. Compression that sounds extremely transparent and appropriate while the whole mix is playing can sound weird and unnatural when you solo the instrument. Make changes in small increments and use the bypass feature of your compressor as a gut-check. Be wary of the siren song of ever more compression. Overcompression can make everything sound slamming, hyped, and loud, but only for short bursts. After a few seconds, overcompressed music becomes fatiguing to listen to and your audience will turn down the volume, defeating the purpose of the compression in the first place!

If you're just starting out, I would recommend tweaking the compressor so that the gain reduction meter "bounces" only two or three dB on most notes, tracking the tempo of the music fairly closely. Then turn up the makeup gain by about the same (2 or 3 dB). Note that this may sound like nothing has happened--it takes practice to hear mild compression. Then stop playback, rest your ears for a few seconds, and BYPASS the compressor before you hit play. Now listen to the uncompressed track and then un-byapss the compressor and see if it's an improvement. The track should feel a little punchier and a little more "present." If it needs more, try and get the gain reduction to bounce 5 or 6 dB the same way, and evaluate your work the same way. Take baby steps and go carefully and it will pay off quickly.

Now the nitty-gritty. Below is something I posted on an earlier thread about how to actually use a compressor and what the different controls are for. Hopefully it helps:

You really need to read up on this and practice a little until you understand how compression works. Every setting on a compressor affects every other setting, and they are inter-dependent. depending on how your other settings are, adjusting, say, the attack setting up or down can have opposite effects.

There are tons of explanations all over the web and in books of how compressors work, but none of them are very clear until you already have a fairly good handle on certain things.

First piece of advice: avoid using your hardware compressor before recording unless you really feel 110% confident in what you're doing. If you record at 24 bit, there is no advantage to compressing before recording, and software compressors will tend to be better than your hardware compressor. Moreover, if you get it wrong at the tracking stage, there is no way to fix it or undo it.

Second piece of advice: Understand the following before you start using a compressor. Depending on how you use it, a compressor can actually INCREASE the dynamic swings in your program material. Use of a compressor DOES NOT guarantee flatter overall levels. This is very important to understand.

Here's how a conventioanal four-knob compressor works (there are also two-knob compressors, but that's another story). You have four basic controls: attack, release, threshold, and ratio (there is also usually a "makeup gain" knob, but that's seperate from the action of the compressor, it's just a gain control that comes after the compression circuit. We'll deal with it later).

Before we start to talk about what those four knobs do, it is necessary to understand how an audio waveform develops. When you pluck a guitar string, or hit a piano key, or strike a drum head, several things happen to produce a complex waveform. I'm going to use an acoustic guitar as an example, but the following applies to almost any instrument, in principle.

If you look at the waveform of a plucked guitar note, there are typically three (maybe four) distinct parts of that individual note that look like different sections in a visual representation (in sonar's audio clips, for instance).

First there is the inital transient (the "attack" of pick on string). This typically looks like a sharp, almost instantaneous "spike" in level, and is typically the loudest part of the note.

Second, there is the main "body" of the note, the soundboard of the guitar resonating with the vibration of the string. This tends to have a fairly even level, and looks on the computer screen kind of like a brick of sound energy that comes after the initial transient spike. The duration tends to depend mostly on the guitar construction and playing technique. This is the "steady state" portion of the sound, the primary "sustain" of the note.

Third, there is the "decay" or "tail" of the note. This typically looks like a rapidly narrowing triangle attached to the end of the "body" of the sound. It is the section where the string starts to lose energy and the soundboard is just vibrating from inertia. it overlaps slightly into the time where the guitar has stopped vibrating altogether, and the final tail of the sound is simply the soundwaves still bouncing around in the room.

The phantom "fourth" section is "silence." Unless you record in outer space, there is no such thing as actual silence, but the quality of your "silence" definitely matters for purposes of compression. We define silence as the point where random noise and room mode resonance takes over and is as loud or louder than the sound of the actual note.

Got all that? good. Here's how it matters to your compressor. Your compressor has a little gremlin in it that turns down a volume knob. That's all. Really. A compressor is just a little guy that changes a gain control really fast. Here are how you give him his instructions:

Threshold-- this is like an alarm clock that wakes up your little gremlin. If you set your threshold at -6, and your incoming audio signal never goes above -6, then your little gremlin never does anything and sleeps through the whole thing. Once you threshold goes above -6, the gremlin wakes up and springs into action.

Attack-- If the threshold is the alarm clock, "attack" is the gremlin's "snooze" button. The "attack" is a delay between the time the signal goes above the threshold, and when the gremlin actually starts doing his job. For instance, if your threshold is set at -6, and your attack is set at 20ms, then what happens is this-- when your audio signal goes above -6dB, the gremlin groans, rubs his eyes and hits a snooze button that lasts for 20ms. After 20ms, the gremlin actually wakes up and starts doing his job. This setting allows 20ms of "attack" (aka "transient," aka "peak") to sneak through before the signal gets compressed. So if you wanted to flatten the whole signal, you'd set the attack to 0ms. If you want to keep the "impact" or the pluck of the guitar string intact before you start squishing the sound, then you simply tweak the "attack" setting to taste.

Ratio-- this determines how much the gremlin turns down the volume. It works in relation to the "threshold" setting. So if you set the threshold to -6, and the ratio to 2:1, then the gremlin will turn down the volume by 1db for every 2db above -6 the input signal went. So if the input signal was -3dB, the gremlin will turn down the signal by 1.5dB, for an output level of -4.5. (Ratios above 10:1 or so can basically be consiered a hard limiter)

Release-- this is the gremlin's quitting time. If you set the release time to 0ms, the gremlin quits and goes back to sleep as soon as the incoming signal drops below -6db (or whatever the threshold is set to). If te release is set to, say, 50ms, then the gremlin keeps working for 50ms AFTER the input signal drops below -6, which can lead to smoother-sounding tails.

So here are some examples:

If the threshold is set ABOVE the level of the BODY of the sound, but BELOW the level of the TRANSIENT attack of the sound, and the attack/realease are set very fast, then the compressor will basically work as a peak limiter, only compressing the initial transient attack.

If the threshold is set below the level of the BODY of the sound, and the attack and release are set somewhat slower, then the slow attack time will allow the transient sound to pass right through and will then compress the body and "tail/decay" of the note. This will create MORE initial impact when you apply makeup gain, and the slow release time will create a longer, more gradual sustain. This is the most "dramatic" way to set your compressor.

If you set a fast attack and a slow release with a low threshold, you can actually create a sort of "inverse" waveform, where the attack is compressed and the "body" of the sound sort of "swells" after the initial sharp compression releases.

If you have very aggressive compression settings with a too-fast release time, the compressor will "let go" too soon, and the decay and silence will pop through as amplified background noise between notes, causing "pumping" or "sucking" artifacts. On certain kinds of dance/club/electronic music, this can be a cool "throbbing" effect on bass or kick or synth pads. On most kinds of acoustic music, this sounds awful.

If you set the release time slow enough, the compressor will overlap onto the next note, and reduce your transients even if you set the attack time to let the transients through, again creating a "pumping" effect, but with a slightly time-dragging feel.

Depending on how you set the compressor, you can turn a sequence of steady quarter notes into short, choppy, staccatto hits, or into a smooth, pulsating pad, or make the notes sound like they're pushing or dragging the beat. You can make a track sound punchy and slamming, or mellow and smooth.

Listen to how the compressor affects the way the music breathes and pulses. Listen for the changes in performance "feel." Don't try to use the compressor as an automatic volume control-- use your faders for that. Don't use a compressor to limit stray digital overs on the incoming signal-- use a limiter for that, or better yet, just turn down your record levels and deal with your levels in the software.

Finally, and THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO KNOW, never rely on "presets" or "recipes" for compressor settings, unless you're simply using the compressor as a hard limiter. Correct compression settings depend of the tempo and dynamic profile of the incoming signal, and on the desired dynamic profile. THERE IS NO WAY any preset-writer could have known this about your material. Presets may be useful for reverb, saturation effects, even eq sometimes, but almost never for compression. Anybody who tells you that the right compression settings for, say, electric bass are such-and-such is WRONG, unless they always record the same player and the same instrument at the same tempo every time.

Cheers.
    Plyrman
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/30 10:52:46 (permalink)

Take your equalizer and dial in a boost of around +12dB with a sharp Q (maybe 2 or so). Now, start to sweep that through the frequencies and listen to the effect that it has on the kick. You are looking to identify three specific components of the sound: The dull "thump" (probably somewhere between 60-120 Hz), the "click" of the beater head (probably somewhere in the upper midrange, 2-6kHz or so), and the round, boomy "note" of the resonating drum (probably between 100-250 Hz). As soon as you find any of these "sweet spots," stop. Leave your eq node "parked" at that spot as a marker, and bypass that frequency or turn it down to flat. We are not going to DO anything with these frequencies right now, we just want to identify where they are, because they will be useful later.

Hey yep....thanks for the "compression"....whew....like someone mentioned...how do ya find the time.... ;-)

Anyhow from your "quote" above , like I mentioned yesterday some of it wasn't "crystal clear" but after getting in to work this morning I think I figured more of it out...

When you say "take your equalizer" you are talking about the "Sonitus Equalizer" correct..?? I didn't realize that yesterday....

I played with a "mix" last night ...but stopped cause I felt I wasn't understanding.....now since I "think" I do ....well....I'll try again this evening.....

As though we have not said it enough.....

THANKS FOR ALL THE TIPS.....

Mg
    post edited by Plyrman - 2006/11/30 11:10:22

Mike G.
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/30 10:59:09 (permalink)
    Yep, just wanted to say thanks. You're obviously an expert and a great writter. I'm subscribing to this and he mic post and will be rereading them many times in the future.
    yep
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/30 11:00:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Plyrman
    ...When you say "take your equalizer" you are talking about the "Sonitus Equalizer" correct..?? I didn't realize that yesterday....

Um, should be pretty much any parametric equalizer. The sonitus/per channel eq in Sonar should work fine.

The idea is just to make a sharp notch filter to "focus" on one frequency at a time and help identify the ones that are most useful/important. I'm not sure, but I wonder if you might be overthinking this, or if I just said it badly. It shouldn't be anything too complicated, just a couple minutes of sweeping through the frequencies. Much quicker and simpler to do than to describe.

Cheers.
    Plyrman
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/30 11:28:22 (permalink)
    Well the thing is this..I'm not actually new to the recording scene...just trying to change with all the new things/technology.....I've basically done most of my mixing on an Akai DPS 16....there were only (3) bands of EQ and it was pretty straight forward.....but I always felt something was missing.....

I've only had Sonar 5 since March of this year....spent the first 6-8 weeks just learning the software.....so when it was time to get back to creating, I wouldn't have to stop for something "technical".....now that I've finished a few songs....I just want to mix them within Sonar and do the best job I came.....and your input has really helped me as well I'm sure... a few others......as I mentioned I hear what you are saying....I just have to sort through some of the "terminology" ....your explanations are good.....I might just ask from time to time if something isn't clear....which is what I think one should do.....

Thanks for bearing with me....

Mg

Mike G.
    yep
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/30 12:12:40 (permalink)

...there were only (3) bands of EQ and it was pretty straight forward.....but I always felt something was missing.....

There is actually a lot to be said for simpler processors and effects that are easier to use. We have so much power and so much control these days that it can sometimes feel like you're drowning in options. Some of the super-premium analog classics like the Neve 1073 eq and the Universal Audio LA-2A had only a few simple controls, and the engineers who designed them thought carefully and designed controls that sacrifice some flexibility for intuitive usefulness that is powerful enough for most applications, and this simplicity and ease of use is a big part of what makes them so valuable.

The sonitus effects are excellent, and they are all super-clean, super powerful effects with almost every imaginable parameter that allow for extremely detailed and complex sound sculpting. But there are also times when you just want an easy way to "turn up the highs" (or lows, or turn them down).

I can't imagine trying to just start out in recording today, I can't even think of how bewildering it must be to have learn all this stuff all at once. I'm sure I would get it, and I know there are people who do, but it's worlds away from the days where you bought a mixer and spent a year figuring out how to deal with routing and bussing while you saved up for a four-track and had maybe another year to figure THAT out while you saved up for an effects box and so on. These days you can buy all kinds of hardware for dirt cheap and download an entire studio to your computer for free, or close to.

It must sometimes seem like you need a PhD just to record your guitar.

[/rant]

Cheers.
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/30 12:32:43 (permalink)
    Yep, you should really get an award for Most Helpful Forum Member. I mean, this stuff is above and beyond the call of duty. I shall print and save all this for future reference, thank you so much.

James

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Plyrman
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/30 12:42:46 (permalink)

...there were only (3) bands of EQ and it was pretty straight forward.....but I always felt something was missing.....

but it's worlds away from the days where you bought a mixer and spent a year figuring out how to deal with routing and bussing while you saved up for a four-track and had maybe another year to figure THAT out while you saved up for an effects box and so on. These days you can buy all kinds of hardware for dirt cheap and download an entire studio to your computer for free, or close to.

[/rant]

Cheers.

wow...it only took you a year.....!!! you must have been rich.... LOL

Hey...I just put my Alesis MMT-8 down about a year ago....talk about "simple" ...now that was simple....oh don't let me not forget to mention the HR-16 .....Ahhhhhh...the good ole days......
    post edited by Plyrman - 2006/11/30 13:00:54

Mike G.
    holderofthehorns
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 679
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/30 18:36:31 (permalink)
    Yep,

You should know, I've been copying your posts and comping my own technique book.
    Nicely said.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Eric Anderson
    HolderOfTheHorns - It's a Viking thing.
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/30 19:45:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: holderofthehorns
    Yep,

You should know, I've been copying your posts and comping my own technique book.
    Nicely said.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

no kidding. i've got a text file with this stuff in it. i need to track down that "multing" post you did and put that one in there too.

- jack the ex-cynic
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/30 21:36:43 (permalink)
    I can't imagine trying to just start out in recording today, I can't even think of how bewildering it must be to have learn all this stuff all at once

Indeed.
    I hope these posts are as rewarding for you as they are helpful to all of us.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Rev. Jem
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1723
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/30 22:03:58 (permalink)
    Rev. Jem
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1723
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/11/30 22:05:25 (permalink)
    Muchas gracias, yep - yer a bloody champion !
    fep
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/12/01 09:48:23 (permalink)
    Yep has described these four controls on a compressor:

Threshold-- this is like an alarm clock that wakes up your little gremlin. If you set your threshold at -6, and your incoming audio signal never goes above -6, then your little gremlin never does anything and sleeps through the whole thing. Once you threshold goes above -6, the gremlin wakes up and springs into action.

Attack-- If the threshold is the alarm clock, "attack" is the gremlin's "snooze" button. The "attack" is a delay between the time the signal goes above the threshold, and when the gremlin actually starts doing his job. For instance, if your threshold is set at -6, and your attack is set at 20ms, then what happens is this-- when your audio signal goes above -6dB, the gremlin groans, rubs his eyes and hits a snooze button that lasts for 20ms. After 20ms, the gremlin actually wakes up and starts doing his job. This setting allows 20ms of "attack" (aka "transient," aka "peak") to sneak through before the signal gets compressed. So if you wanted to flatten the whole signal, you'd set the attack to 0ms. If you want to keep the "impact" or the pluck of the guitar string intact before you start squishing the sound, then you simply tweak the "attack" setting to taste.

Ratio-- this determines how much the gremlin turns down the volume. It works in relation to the "threshold" setting. So if you set the threshold to -6, and the ratio to 2:1, then the gremlin will turn down the volume by 1db for every 2db above -6 the input signal went. So if the input signal was -3dB, the gremlin will turn down the signal by 1.5dB, for an output level of -4.5. (Ratios above 10:1 or so can basically be considered a hard limiter)

Release-- this is the gremlin's quitting time. If you set the release time to 0ms, the gremlin quits and goes back to sleep as soon as the incoming signal drops below -6db (or whatever the threshold is set to). If te release is set to, say, 50ms, then the gremlin keeps working for 50ms AFTER the input signal drops below -6, which can lead to smoother-sounding tails.

In Home Studio 4 the Compressor looks like this:

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/261/compressorbw6.jpg

It's contols are 'Output Gain', 'Attack Time(ms)'. 'Expander Ratio', 'Compressor Ratio', 'Release Time(ms)', 'Gate Thr(dB)', Compressor Thr(dB).

My questions to the experts…

Which one of these is the threshold control?

Also, any advice or description on how to use the “Expander Ratio”, the “Gate Thr”, and the “Compressor Thr” would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    post edited by fep - 2006/12/01 10:10:31
    yep
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/12/01 10:23:09 (permalink)
    "Compressor Thr" is the compressor threshold.

This processor also has an expander/gate built in. It works the opposite of a compressor. That is, the gremlin wakes up when the signal goes BELOW the threshold, and then turns the quiet parts down even further. If you use the "gate" part, it turns sounds below the threshold into silence. If you use the "expander" part it just turns them down according to how you set the expansion ratio.

Expanders and gates are useful to remove background noise, hum, or hiss, and also to add definition to sounds that seem to blur together. Used in conjunction with a compressor, you can really manipulate the waveform and almost totally reinvent the dynamics.

The attack and release controls work the same as with the compressor-- a slower attack means the expander will wait a little bit before it kicks in, and a slower release means the epander will "hold onto" the signal a little longer. Tweaking these can give a smoother, more natural sound. They should be adjusted by ear to get the most appropriate dynamic feel for the tempo and type of material.

Cheers.
    MrMenace
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/12/01 14:31:09 (permalink)
    I can't imagine trying to just start out in recording today, I can't even think of how bewildering it must be to have learn all this stuff all at once. I'm sure I would get it, and I know there are people who do, but it's worlds away from the days where you bought a mixer and spent a year figuring out how to deal with routing and bussing while you saved up for a four-track and had maybe another year to figure THAT out while you saved up for an effects box and so on. These days you can buy all kinds of hardware for dirt cheap and download an entire studio to your computer for free, or close to.

It is so true! I bought Sonar 3PE in 2003 and since then besides trying to find time to learn all of the software, the theory behind it and understanding the recording process, I also started taking piano lessons!

It is a good thing I have a good paying day job. This hobby is geting expensive.

Remember, save the kittens!

Dennis

Do you miss the Coffeehouse?
    The Other Place
    Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/12/01 18:01:19 (permalink)
    Yep's tutorials are invaluable.

Another tool that would be helpful in setting EQ is a Spectrum Analyzer. I've just started using one that is a free plug-in (Voxengo) and it is helpful in identifying specific frequencies in tracks and the overall mix.

SONAR 6 comes with a spectrum analyzer. But if you have an earlier version, check this out: http://www.voxengo.com/product/SPAN/

A good way to use this is to plug it in to the Master Buss and at anytime you can consult any of your tracks or total mix by muting/soloing.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/12/01 20:01:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Rev. Jem

Here ya go, Jack:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.asp?m=496374&key=multing%2Cmix

thanks! added to my word file (more readable than notepad). =) what gets me is that i come here and get way better (or at least as good) generic advice than i'd find in a hundred articles or books on mixing.

- jack the ex-cynic
    themidiroom
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: EQ/Mixing....HELP 2006/12/04 11:02:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MrMenace

I can't imagine trying to just start out in recording today, I can't even think of how bewildering it must be to have learn all this stuff all at once.

I think much of what we hear in the industry validates this statement. A lot of the younger engineers I've talked to don't seem to get it. They know how to operate the software, but seem unaware that the fundamental function of a DAW is to emulate recorders and mixers, etc.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1