M-Audio Firewire Solo Setup Problems

Author
schnelsr
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2007/02/07 17:21:31 (permalink)

M-Audio Firewire Solo Setup Problems

New Info (02-10-2007):

I am questioning the M-Audio Driver. Windoze can not see the driver either. It comes up with M-audio 1/2 for both input and output in the sound device setup. The internal card driver has Realtec HD Analog IN and Realtec HD Analog Out in the play and record settings. Is the M-Audio Driver bad and Windoze is registering it wrong? Any input on this would be appreciated (I will try at the M-Audio site too - I was blaming Cakewalk setup because the M-Audio driver shows signal but that may not be the case.

Previous Post:

I record one analog track at a time - guitar, vocals, bass, more vocals, cowbell, banjo, some handclaps, etc, etc, etc. on my Toshiba 105 Laptop (1.7Ghz Celeron M, 1.5 GB DDR2-633 RAM, Windoze XP Home SP2, 60 GB internal HDD, 120 GB external USB HDD).

I decided to replaced a Creative Labs USB External 96/24 interface because it appears that at 96/24 it is really writing 96/16 with the eight bits padded with zeroes and they haven't updated their driver since Moses wore short pants. That being said, it worked OK for what it was (although it got some pops after I installed Oracle 10g XE - you need to kill the listener service along with the database BTW).

I purchased a M-Audio Firewire Solo interface along with a TI Firewire PCMCIA card (1394a@400 KBPS with VIA Driver - it was cheap and will soon be replaced by a 1394b @ 800 KBPS when I find one at a store).

My problem is that I can not get the M-Audio unit to drive Cakewalk. I see the input signal using the M-Audio driver tool but the meters in Cakewalk do not move. I have tried multiple configurations - WDM, ASIO (supposedly native on the M-Audio Driver), ASIO4All - no luck. I disabled the built-in sound card. I have (in order) uninstalled everything except the on-board card (reboot), installed the M-Audio drivers (Reboot), plugged in the M-Audio cable and installed the second layer of drivers (Reboot), Installed Cakewalk (Reboot). No Luck. I did the same process and added installation of the ASIO4All driver before the M-Audio Driver install - no luck.

The configuration I think shooting for (what do you think?) is:

ASIO4All Driver
ASIO4All M-Audio Analog Input
ASIO4All M-Audio Analog Output
??? MIDI Synth (I do not think M-Audio has a MIDI synth - what should I use?)

Two Questions:

1. What am I doing wrong?

2. Once I can see a signal, should I use the MS Wavetable Synth (to hear the metronome) or is there a better way (and is this related to question 1)?

post edited by schnelsr - 2007/02/10 16:07:36

6 Replies Related Threads

wretchasketch
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: M-Audio Firewire Solo Setup Problems 2007/02/13 21:13:42 (permalink)
    Dear Schnelser,

I had to uninstall the drivers for a soundblaster card to get my M-AUDIO Adiophile to work with Cakewalk.

I was having the exact same issues with The M-Audio Audiophile USB and Cakewalk Home Studio 2 XL, and tech support helped me get going. Maybe this will translate for your M-AUDIO device:

Open Audiophile USB Properties
    Make sure Analog Input and Analog Output are selected
    I also have S/PDIF Output selected, but I don’t think it makes a difference.
    The sample rate is set to 48MHz and the depth rate at 24bit
    The latency is set all the way down to 128 (or else I hear an echo)

Open Sounds and Audio Device Properties
    Under the Audio and Voice Tabs, make sure that Audiophile in 1 / 2 and Audiophile out 1 / 2 are selected for recording and playback. I also have Out Audiophile USB selected as my MIDI playback device

Settings in Cakewalk
    Under Options> Audio>
    Advanced tab:
    I have ASIO drivers selected
    General tab:
    I have Audiophile USB Analog options selected for recording and playback timing masters. Bit rate and depth is set at 441MHz and 24 bit
    Input Monitoring tab:
    USB Audiophile Analog and S/PDIF drivers are both highlighted
    Drivers tab:
    Under Input and Output both Analog and S/PDIF drivers are highlighted

Track 1 settings:
    Input-Left Analog (I have my patch cable run from my preamp out to the left ¼” input of the Audiophile)
    Output-Analog 1 / 2

Under Transport>
    I selected “reset” (a yellow exclamation point)
    I selected “run audio” (a little on/off switch)

Wallah!!! I suddenly have low latency input monitoring. Yay!

The tech guy says I may have to do that last Transport step every time I open the program or insert a new audio track. This remains to be seen.

Best of luck!!!!

Mr. Tracy

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: M-Audio Firewire Solo Setup Problems 2007/02/13 21:30:32 (permalink)
    2. Once I can see a signal, should I use the MS Wavetable Synth (to hear the metronome) or is there a better way (and is this related to question 1)?

NO, in fact most of the time you CAN'T use MS GS Wavetable unless you're in MME driver mode. and there's a better sounding way to do it anyway.

do tutorial #8, it will teach you about using a DXI SYNTH.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: M-Audio Firewire Solo Setup Problems 2007/02/14 08:07:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: schnelsr
    That being said, it worked OK for what it was (although it got some pops after I installed Oracle 10g XE - you need to kill the listener service along with the database BTW).

I purchased a M-Audio Firewire Solo interface along with a TI Firewire PCMCIA card (1394a@400 KBPS with VIA Driver - it was cheap and will soon be replaced by a 1394b @ 800 KBPS when I find one at a store).

My problem is that I can not get the M-Audio unit to drive Cakewalk. I see the input signal using the M-Audio driver tool but the meters in Cakewalk do not move. I have tried multiple configurations - WDM, ASIO (supposedly native on the M-Audio Driver), ASIO4All - no luck.

Two Questions:

1. What am I doing wrong?

You may have too much stuff going on in this machine. Try shutting down all the unnecessary services. Running Oracle on a DAW does not make a whole lot of sense. If you are trying to use the machine for all your computing needs you are going to have to be comfortable with a little reconfig for each purpose.

Do not buy a 8KBS firewire card unless you have devices that need that type of card. The M-Audio FW Solo does not.

There should be no need to use ASIO4All, M-Audio drivers work fine. For my setup, the WDM driver seems to work best. While all three releases of the drivers will work on you card, after you find a setup that works consider testing each release to see which works best for you. Here is how I would approach the initial config
    Removing the internal card config in the DAW
    Add the FW WDM at 44.1 sample rate 24 bit depth
    Shutdown the DAW
    Remove the AUD.ini file
    Restart DAW

Your internal card should not interfere with the FW Solo as long as you disable it inside SHS, at least that is my experience in SONAR. If you continue to have problems, you might need to remove the internal card at the device level.

Beagle is right, forget about MS Wavetable Synth, not only can you replace it with a better sounding synth; I believe your product also come with both MIDI and audio metronomes, doesn't it?
    schnelsr
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: M-Audio Firewire Solo Setup Problems 2007/02/14 15:40:17 (permalink)
    Thnks for the advice. I will give it a try tonight. I will post a more complete response in the near future - I had one typed out but the server reset and I lost it...
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: M-Audio Firewire Solo Setup Problems 2007/02/14 23:08:50 (permalink)
    Wallah!!!

Its "voila".

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    wretchasketch
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: M-Audio Firewire Solo Setup Problems 2007/02/15 15:56:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: daveny5

Wallah!!!

Its "voila".

So it is! Chip away at ignorance. Thanks.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1