OT: Hot-rodding the Akai MPD16 drumpad

Author
aj
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1084
2007/03/06 16:32:04 (permalink)

OT: Hot-rodding the Akai MPD16 drumpad

I imagine quite a few people bought one of these planning on tapping out rhythms in Sonar. However, the pad sensitivity isn't really very good and a very firm finger tap is needed to trigger it. After playing around for a little while I just gave up and put it on the shelf. It was easier to use the keyboard for drum parts.

This was a big disappointment, and it only felt worse the other day when I played with the Korg Pad Kontrol and realised how much more sensitive its pads are to the Akai. Sigh, another bad purchase.... I sulked back into the studio and glared malevolently at the Akai.

But wait.... Since it's sat on the shelf for two years, it's sure out of warranty. Let's pull the lid off and see how those big rubber pads do their thing. To do this, remove all the screws and gently pull the fader knob off the front, then just lift off the lid and the rubber pad assembly just peels off..... hmmm.... there's a circuit board with black square sensors, covered in mylar film. Tap these and, hey, it's really quite sensitive. hmmmm......

Looking at the rubber pad sheet, there's a convex dome underneath which makes contact with the sensor pad. But it isn't actually quite touching the sensor pad. This means you have to give the rubber pad a fair old whack before you get any kind of a MIDI event out of the Akai.

Anyway, after a little bit of thought, I came up with a cunning plan which ended up working brilliantly. Also, as a modification, it's totally non-destructive, no glue or anything like that.

You need a roll of pipe repair tape for the trick. Most hardware stores should have this; it is black rubber tape that is just under an inch wide and about 1/32 inch thick, and it has a peel-off plastic backing. I think it's also known as amalgamating tape. Anyway, all you do is cut squares of this tape, about the size of the outer border of each sensor, and peel off the backing tape, then place the smooth side of the rubber tape (one side is textured, the other is smooth) to face the sensor surface. The tape will sit without sliding around. When you have all 16 sensor pads covered, just rub a sheet of paper over the whole thing to make sure that the rubber tape is pressed down firmly, then replace the pads on top. Now put everything back together again.

Now the unit should respond to the lightest finger tap. If any pad appears not to be operating any more, press each side in gently, as it may have temporarily jammed on the case frame; that happened to me putting the unit together. After that, all was fine. Now I have an actually useful gadget that is actually doing what I expected of it in the first place!

PS: The USB driver for this thing is total crap. It will crash your system and/or it will exhibit erratic MIDI timing when the system gets even moderately busy. Save your sanity and connect an external powerpack and use the MIDI port instead!.

16 Replies Related Threads

Chrisma
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 585
    RE: OT: Hot-rodding the Akai MPD16 drumpad 2007/03/06 17:01:10 (permalink)
    Double post.
    post edited by Chrisma - 2007/03/06 17:24:57
    Chrisma
    • Total Posts : 585
    RE: OT: Hot-rodding the Akai MPD16 drumpad 2007/03/06 17:02:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Chrisma

Good post! I haven't any issues with Akai Config software or the driver and just recent discovered the a sensitivity setting for each is the software that ranges from -8 to +8. Have you download the latest driver and software from Akaipro.com? Also, did the mod improve the sensitivity on the corners of the pads?

aj
    RE: OT: Hot-rodding the Akai MPD16 drumpad 2007/03/06 17:13:43 (permalink)
    I did know about the sensitivity setting but the basic problem with the unit was really mechanical; until the pad actually contacts the sensor there's no output so no matter how sensitive you set it in software there's this annoying 'threshold' below which the pads just don't respond. It may be that some units are worse than others due to tolerances of how close everything fits; I don't know. Effectively this is putting a soft rubber gasket in there to take up the clearance and remove the threshold.

After the mod the pad corners appear to be about as sensitive as the centre of the pad; I've just spent a very happy half hour banging away on it and it now responds beautifully from a gentle tap to a firm wallop.
    Spyda KB
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: OT: Hot-rodding the Akai MPD16 drumpad 2007/03/08 13:22:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: aj

PS: The USB driver for this thing is total crap. It will crash your system and/or it will exhibit erratic MIDI timing when the system gets even moderately busy. Save your sanity and connect an external powerpack and use the MIDI port instead!.

It's because the drivers are not hyper-threading friendly. Disable HT and it is solid. Hopefully the new MPD-24s are better as I am planning to get one soon.

- KB
    post edited by Spyda KB - 2007/03/08 13:45:07

Citizen K Productions
    http://www.citizenkpro.com

"I ain't got time to bleed...!!!"
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    RE: OT: Hot-rodding the Akai MPD16 drumpad 2007/03/08 13:46:03 (permalink)
    Oh great, now you have me eyeing my unit for potential destruction. I was thinking of just sanding down the existing rubber covers from the inside to make the rubber thinner and more agile to touch.

Gutting technology....I like it.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    aj
    RE: OT: Hot-rodding the Akai MPD16 drumpad 2007/03/08 18:02:53 (permalink)
    Even the new driver is crap. Machine rebooted spontaneously when left overnight with the MPD16 utility running. Unfortunately I am running a dual core box, so disabling one CPU isn't attractive. Anyway, I use the MIDI out and route it through my 8 X 8 MIDI switch so I only use the USB driver when I want to reconfigure the unit settings e.g sensitivity etc, then uninstall it. I really love this unit now - I wish I'd thought of this before.....

LionSound
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3616
    RE: OT: Hot-rodding the Akai MPD16 drumpad 2007/03/08 18:04:35 (permalink)
    Oh well, I sold mine on Ebay a few months ago because its sensitiveity sucked so bad that I never used it.

www.soundclick.com/lionsound

FirstStrike 1.2 IS RELEASED! www.fsmod.com
    yorolpal
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13829
    RE: OT: Hot-rodding the Akai MPD16 drumpad 2007/03/08 21:34:42 (permalink)
    Looks like a weekend project coming up for ol moi. Sensitivity here I come. Warranty??!!...Warranty??!!...I don't need to stinkin Warranty!!!

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    major7th
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: OT: Hot-rodding the Akai MPD16 drumpad 2009/04/26 16:15:54 (permalink)
    I did something similar last night with my MPD32.... except using electrical tape instead of the tape he mentioned. I cut them into little squares just about the size of the circular rubber pads which push against the sensors, and, layering the tape up 4 layers on most of the pads (2 layers thick on one row, which is all it needed)-- the sensitivity of the pads is DRASTICALLY improved... my god, it's like the PadKontrol (which has perfect pads).

I even can lower the sensitivity and up the threshold in my MPD32 (I had lowest threshold before and max sensitivity and the pads STILL sucked before modding).

THANK YOU for your suggestion, aj.... worked perfectly. Everyone should try this if they use an MPD32 or MPD24. As a control surface, the MPD32 is fantastic... but I was going to sell it because I hated the pads so much. After this mod, I have a perfect control surface for Sonar Home Studio 6 as well as a killer pad combo... and the transport functions work perfectly.

Thanks again, aj!!!

gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    RE: OT: Hot-rodding the Akai MPD16 drumpad 2009/04/26 17:44:44 (permalink)
    Just added two layers of e-tape to the sensors and WOW!. what a change!
    Thanks for the suggestion; never saw this post until today.
    Gave up on the usb driver for the mpd16 a long time ago because it kept crashing my system when I was running a backup overnight.
    Thanks again!

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

major7th
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re: RE: OT: Hot-rodding the Akai MPD16 drumpad 2009/09/08 15:30:04 (permalink)
    Gustabo, you applied the tape directly to the sensor sheet? Might not have been a good idea... I attached the tape to the rubbed pad sheet... so nothing's essentially sticking to the sensors, just in between the sensors and the rubber sheet.

Still works?

AJ is the MAN!

I wonder if anyone has tried hot-rodding the MPK49 by Akai or the new MPK61 which comes out tomorrow.

Keep bumping this thread... this is an important topic, for anyone who taps out anything with a pad!!!

gustabo
    Re: RE: OT: Hot-rodding the Akai MPD16 drumpad 2009/09/08 18:06:56 (permalink)
    The quality of the e-tape makes a big difference. Cheap e-tape leaves a sticky residue and doesn't adhere for a long time.

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad

foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re: RE: OT: Hot-rodding the Akai MPD16 drumpad 2009/09/08 19:21:45 (permalink)
    Once again, people blame hardware for human problems. The MPC/MPK pads are corner sensitive... if you need a light touch, go to the corners (though maybe you have disabled that feature with your "fix").

And like anything else, it needs to get broken in (IE actually used). When its broken in the pads are silky and light. And unlike the cheap edirol and maudio products, MPC/MPK's last 20 years. While it does take some use to get them broken in, there will be less finger shock in the long term over the other pad based products.

About the only pad controller I like as much as the Akai, is the Korg.

BTW, I have both an MPK49 and an MPC1000 for the studio now.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    gustabo
    Re: RE: OT: Hot-rodding the Akai MPD16 drumpad 2009/09/08 19:51:06 (permalink)
    I fixed what AJ first stated "the pad sensitivity isn't really very good and a very firm finger tap is needed to trigger it."
    Based on the shape of the underside of the pad, you would have to break your finger on the corner before I added e-tape, not anymore!

DigiBiu
    • Total Posts : 1053
    Re: RE: OT: Hot-rodding the Akai MPD16 drumpad 2009/09/08 21:48:37 (permalink)
    foxwolfen

Once again, people blame hardware for human problems. The MPC/MPK pads are corner sensitive... if you need a light touch, go to the corners (though maybe you have disabled that feature with your "fix").

And like anything else, it needs to get broken in (IE actually used). When its broken in the pads are silky and light. And unlike the cheap edirol and maudio products, MPC/MPK's last 20 years. While it does take some use to get them broken in, there will be less finger shock in the long term over the other pad based products.

About the only pad controller I like as much as the Akai, is the Korg.

BTW, I have both an MPK49 and an MPC1000 for the studio now.

Hey man, about how long to break these things in?  I used mine for about 2 days, 3 years ago, and gave up on it.    I'd really like to use this thing, but how long before its useable?

http://digitalbayoustudios.com/
    https://soundcloud.com/digibiu
    David Stuckey
    Sonar X3 Producer ,Windows 7 64bit ,6G Ram, Quad Core 2.6,3 1 UAD 2 card, 4 UAD-1 Cards, 2 Dell 24" LCD, ADAM ANF10, Avantones, Crown Power Amp, Great River ME-1, UA Solo/610, Distressor,Presonus ADL600,, RNC, RNLA, 2 PBC-6a, JoeMeek MC2, ART Pro Channel, Yamaha MO8,Korg Triton,M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, Custom Shop Fender Twin, 76 Randall Tube Amp, Custom Blue Runner Tube Amp,
    Lynx Aurora 8 FW
    Apogee AD8000 SE
    MixedLogic M24 Control Surface
    Yamaha Pro Mix 01
    MemphisJo
    • Total Posts : 594
    Re: RE: OT: Hot-rodding the Akai MPD16 drumpad 2009/09/09 18:12:23 (permalink)
    Isn't that what the 30 day hassle free, no questions asked return policies at almost every music store I know are for?

If it sucks or the drivers are not working good - return it, or better still try it out first at your local 'smash it and trash it and we'll still sell it as new' GC is for?

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
    Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1