Rapture 1.1 registry update

Author
Shayne White
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 306
2007/03/13 20:13:44 (permalink)

Rapture 1.1 registry update

Hi everyone,

For those of you who have done the "OutRatio" registry hack to improve Rapture's realtime sound quality, it looks like the entry has been changed in v1.1. It used to be "OutRatio"=1 in the old version. It should now look like: "Out ratio"=1 in Rapture 1.1. If it isn't spelled exactly right, Rapture uses the default setting (which some of us find inadequate).

It looks like the "Sinc on Render" setting was moved to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, but the "Out ratio" setting should still be in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" (in Software > Cakewalk Music Software > Rapture).

This was NOT meant to start another argument, I'm simply giving a tip.

The new 1.1 update is great and adds lots of nice, nifty new features! Thanks a bunch, Rene!

Cheers,

Shayne

24 Replies Related Threads

MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/13 21:01:10 (permalink)
    So you're saying instead of "OutRatio" =1 it needs to be "Out<space>ratio"=1, right?

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    oroboros
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/14 14:54:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for this info, Shayne. I did notice a difference when I did this with Rapture 1.0.

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
    Shayne White
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/15 01:34:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MurderDethKill

So you're saying instead of "OutRatio" =1 it needs to be "Out<space>ratio"=1, right?

That's correct.

By the way, have any of you ever set the value to 0 instead of 1? It makes Rapture sound pretty interesting.

Shayne
    MurderDethKill
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/15 01:46:50 (permalink)
    Not yet Shayne, I've been too busy having fun with the new improved Rapture and the B-Rock tutorials.
    Plus, I'm a little cautious with messin' with the registry.
    I must say though that Rapture does sound better (2 me) with the modded out-ratio setting.
    It's so nice that I don't want to mess with it (for a little while longer ).
    But thanks for the tip - it really has made a difference in how it (Rapture) sounds to me.

-MDK

My site i guess;)
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/15 07:21:29 (permalink)
    LOL, I've sworn off Rapture and the other "big boys" I own. I'm working my way through the "Cakewalk Synthesizers" book. I'm currently exploring the hugely exciting Triangle II synth. But you know what? There's a ton of stuff to learn from that little freebie mono-synth, at least for me. By the time I work my way back to Rapture I think it will be a much less frustrating experience (and I've been playing and programming synths for like 30 years!). Can't say enough about that book so far. An amazing resource.

So thanks for this tip which I will file away for whenever I "graduate" back to Rapture and its siblings.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    oroboros
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/15 13:43:53 (permalink)
    By the way, have any of you ever set the value to 0 instead of 1? It makes Rapture sound pretty interesting.

Yes, makes it sound like you're listening to it through a wet blanket inside a phone booth while you're standing outside*. Be pretty neat if this was an automatable parameter.

*© 27 wgcapb

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
    MurderDethKill
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/15 15:55:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: oroboros
    *© 27 wgcapb®

My site i guess;)
    Shayne White
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/16 01:44:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: oroboros
    Yes, makes it sound like you're listening to it through a wet blanket inside a phone booth while you're standing outside*. Be pretty neat if this was an automatable parameter.

Yeah, that's what I've been asking Rene for, but it never happened...don't know why!

By the way, it looks like on OS X the "Out ratio" spelling is slightly different with R1.1. The word "Ratio" needs to be capitalized for Rapture to read it. I had set it to "Out ratio" like on Windows, but it didn't work...I tried "Out Ratio" and then the setting got activated. It used to be "OutRatio" on both platforms with R1.0. Now it's "Out ratio" on Windows and "Out Ratio" on the Mac. Weird....

Remember, on the Mac there's no registry, so the settings are located in: Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences > com.cakewalk.rapture.plist

OK, now everything is figured out, and I'm happy making music with the new Rapture functionalities! This 1.1 adds some cool stuff!

Shayne
    amac
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/16 09:22:30 (permalink)
    It looks like the "Sinc on Render" setting was moved to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, but the "Out ratio" setting should still be in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" (in Software > Cakewalk Music Software > Rapture).

What does Sinc on Render do?
    Shayne White
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/16 12:16:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: amac

What does Sinc on Render do?

That's one setting that IS in the official program. When you bounce a track with Rapture with the Sinc on Render option on, Rapture uses an extremely high quality audio engine that's even better than the realtime one. It only works when you bounce something; it doesn't do it in realtime. Unfortunately, I could never get the DXi version of Rapture to do it -- only the VST one. I have Sonar 5.

Shayne
    Markus Copol
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 691
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/16 12:41:52 (permalink)
    can someone teach me how to do the whole thing . I am not that good with the registery hack and all that . any step by step so I can try it out ?

thanks

Markus Deutsche
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/16 13:05:35 (permalink)
    I am not that good with the registery hack and all that . any step by step so I can try it out ?
    I'll give you Step 1, Markus.
    Best practices

In Windows, system configuration information is centrally located in the registry. While this simplifies the administration of a computer or network, one incorrect edit to the registry can disable the operating system. The following list provides some best practices for using the registry and Registry Editor safely:

Before making changes to the registry, make a backup copy.
    You can back up the registry by using a program such as Backup. After you make changes to the registry, create an Automated System Recovery (ASR) disk. For troubleshooting purposes, keep a list of the changes you make to the registry. For more information, see System State data.

Do not replace the Windows registry with the registry of another version of the Windows or Windows NT operating systems.

Use tools and programs other than Registry Editor to edit the registry.
    Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. You should use tools and programs that provide safer methods for editing the registry.

Never leave Registry Editor running unattended.

Markus Copol
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/16 23:11:04 (permalink)
    thanks B :) you left me hanging now where is step 2 ?
    MurderDethKill
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/17 03:54:44 (permalink)
    What he's saying is...don't do it. Not unless you really really really know that you need to....and know how to recover in case you screw up.
    Rapture does take longer to load programs than before, btw.
    In my case, the difference in the audio output was worth the risk - plus I was able to restore my system back to it's original state, had I screwed up & I kinda know what I'm doing....

There is a difference - but with Rapture 1.1, not as much as before, and to be honest - probably not worth the risk....

( the "Out Ratio" =0 setting does have me intrigued tho....)
    post edited by MurderDethKill - 2007/03/17 04:03:29

My site i guess;)
    Shayne White
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/17 12:42:21 (permalink)
    There's nothing to it -- the Registry isn't half as fragile as you guys are making out. Just browsing around RegEdit isn't going to hurt anything, and creating one little string value in the Rapture key isn't going to hurt anything either. Just be careful you DON'T DELETE anything, and you'll be fine. If something happens to "go wrong" creating a new string value (which it won't), then simply delete the string value you just created (and nothing else!). Doing this one, simple, no-brainer task is NOT going to destroy Windows or your programs.

Step 2:

In RegEdit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Cakewalk Music Software > Rapture, or search for "Rapture" in the Find box until you see the Rapture key containing the serial number (keys look like folders in the column on the left). Right-click on the white blank area on the right (below where the serial number is listed) and create a new string. Name it "Out ratio" (without quotes), and set the value to 1 (or, for lo-fi fun, set it to 0 or a decimal in between 0 and 1). Load Rapture and have fun!

(If you rename the new string to something else, or delete it, Rapture will go back to its default state.)

If you do ONLY what I told you, everything will be fine.

Shayne
    Markus Copol
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/17 13:34:14 (permalink)
    thanks. do it , do not do it do it do not do it ...am thinking here ....

Alright , my question is why rapture does not come by default with that ratio if its a good feature ?
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/17 16:25:31 (permalink)
    Rapture automagically calculates what's the best balance between output quality and performance for your system.
    For instance, if you force Out Ratio = 1 in a Powerbook G4 or an Athlon computer with no SSE2, most of the factory patches won't play at all. The speed of your computer depends on many things including processor type, supported instruction/acceleration set, memory type and speed, etc. Any 2GHz and above computer will get the top setting (as in Rapture 1.1).

As in Rapture 1.1, and even in older systems, you won't be able to hear any difference (beyond placebo effect, that is) unless you can hear above 19kHz. Batman complained about this setting, so it's higher now.

And that is only when playing real-time. When you freeze, bounce or render to disk in any AU/VST host (Cubase 4, Logic Pro, etc.) or latest DXi hosts (Project 5 v2, SONAR 6), then Rapture will use the maximum quality automatically as well.

Once again, my suggestion is... do not touch your registry.

-René
    Markus Copol
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/17 20:13:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: René

As in Rapture 1.1, and even in older systems, you won't be able to hear any difference (beyond placebo effect, that is) unless you can hear above 19kHz. Batman complained about this setting, so it's higher now.

Once again, my suggestion is... do not touch your registry.

-René

o effect, that is) unless you can hear above 19kHz. Batman complained about this setting, so it's higher now

thanks for the help out rene . I will not touch anything .
    Shayne White
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/20 01:38:27 (permalink)

Any 2GHz and above computer will get the top setting (as in Rapture 1.1).
    -René

Well, it's not. I have an Athlon 64 2.4GHz (3800+), and I can hear a significant difference when Out ratio is not forced, even in Rapture 1.1. In older RGC Audio synths we were able to pick to our preference what sound quality settings we wanted based on the patch, number of synths loaded, and the speed of our computers. This new automatic stuff may make things convenient, but the system is not working for some of us. Thankfully it IS possible to force the setting!

I just don't see why a little, tiny dropdown menu in the settings dialog box can't be added. I really have no other complaints with Rapture at this point (it's an amazing synth!), but this one issue has been a major problem from the beginning (at least to me).

Anyway, as I said originally in this thread, I don't want to start another long-lasting argument. I'll leave it up to all of you to decide whether you want to add the registry setting, and I'll leave it up to Rene to decide whether to make it an official setting in the program. I wash my hands of the whole affair, as long as I can still set it the way I like.

Shayne
    René
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/20 06:43:19 (permalink)
    We might eventually come close to possibly consider adding that little, tiny dropdown menu at some point. There's no political, religious or even technical limitations for it. It's just definitely not a popular feature request, so it's very low in priority.

Again, I'm not trying to argue either. I just try to recommend what's the best setting for Rapture in a standard installation. While I understand your case, most of the times paying 2x the CPU to hear something in the 33th bit or above 22kHz doesn't pay, specially when you get the full setting in off-line renders, which is how one commonly delivers the final product.
    MurderDethKill
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/20 10:29:26 (permalink)

We might eventually come close to possibly consider adding that little, tiny dropdown menu at some point. There's no... technical limitations for it. It's just definitely not a popular feature request, so it's very low in priority.

One more vote in favor of the menu item add-on - whenever the next updates feature set selection list gets looked at...

My site i guess;)
    naughtyhill
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/21 14:10:44 (permalink)

It's just definitely not a popular feature request, so it's very low in priority.

I understand your case, most of the times paying 2x the CPU to hear something in the 33th bit or above 22kHz doesn't pay, specially when you get the full setting in off-line renders, which is how one commonly delivers the final product.

Unfortunately René, off-line rendering doesn't go with a live band.

Cheers,

NTH.
    post edited by naughtyhill - 2007/03/21 14:12:55
    René
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/21 14:23:32 (permalink)
    True. Neither does sinc-interpolation though
    naughtyhill
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Rapture 1.1 registry update 2007/03/21 14:29:40 (permalink)

True. Neither does sinc-interpolation though

lol
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1