[track] wrench 'surcease'

Author
wrench45us
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4991
2005/12/04 18:08:00 (permalink)

[track] wrench 'surcease'

surcease

1) i was challenged by a listener to work in a different genre or at least more upbeat.
some things are just very different at faster bpm and this isn't all that fast (112)

2) i was intrigued by a side comment Gourd made about transitions and wanted to test some of that -- I'd be interested to know if the 'quick cuts' slow fades 'work'

3) i really wanted to mix something so thick and murky with overtone distortion and harmonics that Will would be challenged to work out what was going on

i pulled the soundclick version
creative differences

at the auditorium
for those who prefer an airier mix
http://audioshots.com/auditorium/viewtopic.php?p=24693#24693

post edited by wrench45us - 2005/12/05 20:18:06

12 Replies Related Threads

:10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: [track] wrench 'surcease' 2005/12/04 18:15:02 (permalink)
    damn....sounds like classic wrench to me...sounds great. Im really digging this one. doesnt sound like 112 bpm...when i first read the post at soundclick, I thought it was going to be alot more energy....but this is really good. I love the transitions where everything is all together..then it just lets up to some nice simple overtones...then starts to build agian.

mix sounds great.....well done.

this new album of yours is going to be great!

wrench45us
    RE: [track] wrench 'surcease' 2005/12/04 18:56:26 (permalink)

hey sean
    this is a lot of energy for me
    it's hard to imagine how hard a drummer would have to work on double kicks to get some of those patterns down

and i get kinda dizzy above 110
    this one had me worried, but it sounded a lot better once i threw the master limiter on it

thanks for your support

blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: [track] wrench 'surcease' 2005/12/04 19:24:49 (permalink)
    Have to admit i was'nt too sure after my first listen, but the second half where it built up i really liked. I listened a couple more times and it's grown on me a lot. It's probably not totally hooked me yet like your last few, but it probably will eventually. It is a damn fine production like all your tracks.
    wgcabp
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1171
    RE: [track] wrench 'surcease' 2005/12/04 19:28:03 (permalink)
    What is it with the key of "D" today?? First Phil got us all funked up, then Wrench. OK, who else wants to write in D?? Anybody??

ORIGINAL: wrench45us
    1) i was challenged by a listener to work in a different genre or at least more upbeat

What listener?? I like your stuff at ANY mm. Who is it?? I'll go beat them up. As soon as I figure out who stole my Prokofiev fingering right out of its little compartment in my brain...

2) i was intrigued by a side comment Gourd made about transitions and wanted to test some of that -- I'd be interested to know if the 'quick cuts' slow fades 'work'

Yes, they do. Gourd would be proud.

3) i really wanted to mix something so thick and murky with overtone distortion and harmonics that Will would be challenged to work out what was going on

Huh? Something's going on??

You do really cool things with the basic old progression of Dmin -> Cmaj -> Bbmaj -> Am

Nice I -> vi toggle in the beginning atmospheric stuff before the tune starts.

I like how you temporarily "rest" in C major in the first part of the tune. (sometimes with a movemnt to C7 false resolution back to Dmin) Neat little hook.

You do realize you came dangerously close to playing a melody after the break around 2:40. Be careful...remember, you're strictly a chord guy...

Nah, that kick drum work isn't so hard for a good drummer. Although, a real drummer would not have waited until 4:03 for the first cymbal crash. Wrench...you have every piece of software known to man. Don't you have ONE cymbal you like???

hehehehe...

Cool tune as always. More later after second listen.

WC

wrench45us
    RE: [track] wrench 'surcease' 2005/12/04 19:46:51 (permalink)

blipp
    between you and me i don't like this as well as the last few either
    but what can you do?

where it builds it changes from the dm, c something, Bflat something, am

to
    dm, c, bflat am -- descending bass, but rising chords

will,
    how did that cymbal slip in there?
    must have been that same slip that was almost a melody

there is one little section that goes
    dm cm9 f6 bdim7
    that's the one section i really like

blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: [track] wrench 'surcease' 2005/12/04 19:49:30 (permalink)
    blipp
    between you and me i don't like this as well as the last few either
    but what can you do?

It's definitely growing on me after a few more listens. It's still a good track, but i was comparing it to your last few which were rather outstanding to say the least.
    nigel T
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: [track] wrench 'surcease' 2005/12/06 04:35:29 (permalink)
    I really enjoyed that wrench. Loved your choices on it. Especially the "metallic" sounds in the background. Very nice work.
    gourdjopy
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 540
    RE: [track] wrench 'surcease' 2005/12/06 09:29:12 (permalink)
    i think this is a really nice track overall. the rapid transitions thing worked great. this really makes me think i should try that more. and the drums i like quite a lot. i does feel like a nice smooth groove, with a very clean pulse. i really do like this one a lot.

one thing you might want to work on is having your chords hit on different beats; you use a lot on the downbeat which saps a little of the variety from your pieces. i know you're a monk fan--think about how he seems to never ever hit a chord on the same beat; he drops chord tones in the oddest places (fwiw: this is something i need to work on a lot--i seem to tell everyone else to work on the thing i should be working on). there's a lot of unique harmonic content for each of your pieces, so maybe a little harmonic rhythm variety might bring out these differences more.
    wrench45us
    RE: [track] wrench 'surcease' 2005/12/06 09:38:55 (permalink)

thanks gourd and nigel,

i dropped this from soundclick cause i listened to a few recent pieces last night and it really sounded to me like
    a) repetition of a lot of things I'd done before and
    b) an exercise that didn't quite come together 'emotionally' -- if that makes any sense
    c) not as good as work from the last 2 months or so

but it's still up at the auditorium cause it does have some nice parts

and thansk for the advice gourd, it's true

wgcabp
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1171
    RE: [track] wrench 'surcease' 2005/12/06 10:13:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wrench45us
    i dropped this from soundclick cause i listened to a few recent pieces last night and it really sounded to me like
    a) repetition of a lot of things I'd done before and
    b) an exercise that didn't quite come together 'emotionally' -- if that makes any sense
    c) not as good as work from the last 2 months or so

Sorry to hear that big guy. I don't agree, but it's your stuff. I thought it was a good tune, totally worthy of being in the same catagory of the rest of your recent output.

But, what do I know....

WC
    triscuit
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1860
    RE: [track] wrench 'surcease' 2005/12/08 21:17:36 (permalink)
    I'm liking the new tempo. I'd also like to hear some crazy drum fills but thats just me.
    ecamburn
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: [track] wrench 'surcease' 2005/12/09 19:28:21 (permalink)
    wrench:

I took a while to warm to this tune but I'm glad I hung in there. I particularly like the last 1/3rd of the song where things really seemed to pick up more energy. Tip of the hat for taking risks with your music and sharing your experiments.

eric
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1