unable to create Staff view music font

Author
msscha01
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2005/01/20 14:02:05 (permalink)

unable to create Staff view music font

I teach a MIDI class and use Home Studio as the core software. Unless you are signed in as an administrator, the message "unable to create Staff view music font" is displayed, and the staff view uses a crazy font to notate music. Is there ANY way to work around this problem other than having everyone log in as an administrator?

11 Replies Related Threads

bgaber1
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: unable to create Staff view music font 2005/02/16 14:36:24 (permalink)
    Any luck with this? I am having the same problem in our lab.
    bbarnes
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1200
    RE: unable to create Staff view music font 2005/02/16 15:02:13 (permalink)
    You might try locating the needed font (TTSNOTE.FOR) and placing a copy of it in the users folder or maybe some other folder in the path that is needed.

Just a guess really,

Bill
    jweldinger
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: unable to create Staff view music font 2005/02/16 15:04:43 (permalink)
    I ran across this awhile back. I think the program requires Administrator rights. You might be able to have them log on, then right-click on the application and select Run As...

You could then provide credentials for an account with Administrator rights. That may or may not work.
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: unable to create Staff view music font 2005/02/16 16:39:14 (permalink)
    If you're teaching a class and this is important, why don't you contact Cakewalk Technical Support?

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    msscha01
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: unable to create Staff view music font 2005/02/19 14:37:28 (permalink)
    In fact, I HAVE contacted Cakewalk tech support. Here is what they said:

You will get this error if:

a) You have a Font Manager installed and active on your system. Disable it, then launch Cakewalk.

b) You have a large number of fonts on your system. Check the Fonts folder in the Windows directory. You'll need to get most of the fonts off your system (right click and choose Remove), then launch Cakewalk.

c) You've got a font in that folder named SYMBOL. Remove this font, then launch Cakewalk.

Follow these instructions if you want to permanently install the TTSNOTE font (found in the Cakewalk directory):

[1] Rename TTSNOTE.TTR to TTSNOTE.TTF
    [2] Rename TTSNOTE.FOR to TTSNOTE.TOF
    [3] Select Start | Settings | Control Panel | Fonts.
    [4] From the File menu select Install New Font.
    [5] Select the location of the TTSNoteStandard(True Type) font, and click OK.

Let us know if you have further questions.

jweldinger
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: unable to create Staff view music font 2005/02/19 15:23:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: msscha01

In fact, I HAVE contacted Cakewalk tech support. Here is what they said:

You will get this error if:

a) You have a Font Manager installed and active on your system. Disable it, then launch Cakewalk.

b) You have a large number of fonts on your system. Check the Fonts folder in the Windows directory. You'll need to get most of the fonts off your system (right click and choose Remove), then launch Cakewalk.

c) You've got a font in that folder named SYMBOL. Remove this font, then launch Cakewalk.

Follow these instructions if you want to permanently install the TTSNOTE font (found in the Cakewalk directory):

[1] Rename TTSNOTE.TTR to TTSNOTE.TTF
    [2] Rename TTSNOTE.FOR to TTSNOTE.TOF
    [3] Select Start | Settings | Control Panel | Fonts.
    [4] From the File menu select Install New Font.
    [5] Select the location of the TTSNoteStandard(True Type) font, and click OK.

Let us know if you have further questions.

And?
    SimonB
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: unable to create Staff view music font 2005/03/24 19:19:12 (permalink)
    OK for all of you out there that are being bugged by "unable to create staff view font", I think I have cracked it.

For some unknown reason (sloppy programming?) Home Studio seems to need write access to the Cakewalk directory when "creating" the staff view font. Why it does this I don't know but it needs to do this even if you have the font properly installed on the system as described above.

The solution above is a partial solution as installing the font fully on your system does enable Home Studio to display the font correctly although you still get the nagging message at the beginning that it could not "create" the font.

I had the same problem. I can run Home Studio with no problem on my password-protected administrator Login but my son could not using his limited user status. Needless to say I did not want to give a nine-year old unlimited acces to the machine but I found the answer in file sharing.

If you go to Contol Panel >> Folder options then under the view tab you will find a tick box against "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)". If you clear that box, administrators have much more control over who can gain access to which files. I gave my son modification rights over just the Cakewalk directory on the C: drive and we have no more problems.

Good luck. Now if only I could get it to mix down my audio properly...
    sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: unable to create Staff view music font 2005/03/24 20:18:38 (permalink)

The Cakewalk README file clearly states:

To install and run HOME STUDIO in Windows 2000, Windows XP Professional and Home Edition, you must be logged in as a user with administrative privileges. To use the product you must be logged in as the same user that installed the program; otherwise, you will not have access to your DirectX effects presets.

But who reads README files, anyway?
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: unable to create Staff view music font 2005/03/24 22:15:08 (permalink)
    The bottom line is: do you have a multi-user license? If not, then what you're doing is illegal and definitely should not be being done in a school environment.

If you do, then you have every right to demand Cakewalk to make it work for you.
    post edited by daveny5 - 2005/03/24 22:16:54

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    SimonB
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: unable to create Staff view music font 2005/04/08 06:57:45 (permalink)
    I don't see why you need a multi user licence to have different children in a school use a single copy of the software on a single computer under diffrent user identities. You're still only using one copy of the software, just allocating different privileges and settings to different users - thats what XP is supposed to do.

The issue is with administrator privileges and it is a perfectly sensible security measure to have the children running the software under limited privileges to make sure they don't screw up the system. In fact, no-one should run a computer day-to-day as an administrator as it opens up the possibility of some malicious program doing damage. If you're not logged in as an administrator, you can't damage the system - much.

Anyway the issue seems to be one of file access. If you read my post above and get an administrator to disable simple file sharing and grant specific read/write access to the necessary Cakewalk directory for all limited users then the children will have no admin rights for the rest of the machine but Home Studio will run fine. You might also need to give access to the shared plugins directory if you've put it somewhere else to enable everyone to use DXi effects.
    sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: unable to create Staff view music font 2005/04/08 08:14:23 (permalink)
    In fact, no-one should run a computer day-to-day as an administrator as it opens up the possibility of some malicious program doing damage.

That's not really true, at least in Windows (it IS true in Unix-based systems, where the "superuser" - "root" login - is a very special login)... If you know what you are doing, then it is simply easier to be logged in as administrator all the time. Switching logins to accomplish a simple little task is pretty annoying. As long as you know what you are doing, being logged in as a limited-use user doesn't help protect anything, the way Windows is set up. You aren't likely to accidently switch a control panel setting, or accidently uninstall some piece of software. The whole user-security thing is aimed more at preventing malicious use, not at preventing stupid use. A stupid user is probably likely to forget they are logged in as Administrator, so having two logins wouldn't necessarily protect anything.

But you have a point - it should be possible to run Cakewalk software as users other than the one who did the install. And in schools, you definitely can't let the kids have administrator privledges...
    post edited by sinc - 2005/04/08 08:19:36
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1