updated song....

Author
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
2008/05/15 14:08:54 (permalink)

updated song....

This is a song I originally wrote & recorded with Cake Walk Pro 8.... It was acoustic guitar based at that time... I imported the file from the old CW8 bundle. The only thing that is from the original song is the organ & drums ( both played by TTS) and the bass track is also original but played with SFZ (blues bass).

All other tracks, mainly guitars ( acoustic & twin leads) & vocals (lead & 3 harmonies) are new. I did not do a whole lot of processing to this, or mixing. No envelopes are used. I inserted a compressor & light reverb to main buss. HF exciter on lead vocal. All guitar effects are recorded into the tracks from the guitar POD.

Give a listen and opinion & comments. Hope you enjoy it.

Corridors of Time..on my soundclick site.

edit: I updated it again..this new version has Jamstix playing the drums.
post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/05/15 15:31:27

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 

19 Replies Related Threads

boogielicious
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 321
    RE: updated song.... 2008/05/15 14:46:47 (permalink)
    Nicely recorded and mixed. My goodness, you could be Willy Nelson's standin! I like the duet guitars and the stereo spread.

Good job,

Scott
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: updated song.... 2008/05/15 15:43:56 (permalink)
    I don't think therewas anything I disliked about this tune. To me, it sounded like a hybrid of country/spanish music. I absolutely love the guitar on this! The title /lyrics-very meaningful, and your voice fit like a glove... This touched me.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: updated song.... 2008/05/15 18:52:22 (permalink)
    This is great, Herb, but you already know I really like the way you play the guitar! Your voice sounds great on this too. The drums sound pretty good too--wow that ending was cool! There's something about them I think could be improved, but I don't know enough about it to say what it is. But I like the beat.
    Guitarhacker
    RE: updated song.... 2008/05/15 19:01:24 (permalink)
    One thing I notice now that I listen to it is that the drums are a bit hotter than I'd like them to be. I will remix it tomorrow and re post it on the site. It'll probably sound better with the drums down a bit in the mix.

The drums were programmed back in the day when I pointed and clicked one beat at a time in the staff view, until I got it right. I did copy and paste alot....and it was a painstaking process. I sent the output of the drum midi track to JS2.

BMI/NSAI

Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: updated song.... 2008/05/15 19:11:17 (permalink)
    Yes, that IS painstaking! I thought you said you added jamstix to this?
    rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    RE: updated song.... 2008/05/15 19:11:20 (permalink)
    Your voice is a combination of Neil Young and Cat Stevens. Sounds great.

The guitar licks are clean and to the point, Not too fancy and not too plain. Perfect for the song.

Well done

Ron
    Guitarhacker
    RE: updated song.... 2008/05/15 19:27:55 (permalink)
    Yes, that IS painstaking! I thought you said you added jamstix to this?

I did...in a way. The beats were programmed years ago with CW8. I sent the midi track output to JS2 and it simply played the instrument. (jazz kit) with EQ & compressor in JS2.

BMI/NSAI

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: updated song.... 2008/05/15 19:33:04 (permalink)
    this is very good, Herb! I love the guitar intro that was really good. the mix is quite good, too. the drums may be just a tad hot, but it still works. BGVs sound good on this - I suppose you did those yourself? really good work.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: updated song.... 2008/05/15 21:53:24 (permalink)
    Very nice. Very nice. Willy Nelson mixed with Neil Young.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    JD1813
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 813
    RE: updated song.... 2008/05/16 07:33:06 (permalink)
    Very nice Herb - I love the guitar work and the mix sounds great. I can definately agree with others about your vocal style reminicent of Neil Young and Willy Nelson - you have a great country-rock voice. Possibly even some Eagles style in there too. I can't really tell as far as drums being "hot" but perhaps a tad heavy for my taste but only in places. So I don't think I really have any suggestions for changes, I think it's a great listen as is and I enjoyed it tremendously!

-John  *Acer Notebook Win7 Pro-x64 /Edirol USB UA-4FX/SP B1 Mic/Sonar PE X2a; Alesis QS-7 & Ovation 12-String.  Site: www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1007877

Technology drives me to drink. Fortunately, it's a short drive..
    Guitarhacker
    RE: updated song.... 2008/05/16 09:01:21 (permalink)
    Muchas Gracias to all for your comments.

Many people have told me about the Willie thing. I like his phrasing, and general attitude about life and music. When I sing at church, somebody always comes up to me and says..." Did anyone ever tell you, that you sound like Willie Nelson?"
    I must have really freaked out my highschool guidance councilor when she asked me what I wanted to do..as a career, and I told her I wanted to be a musician like Neil Young. She just stared at me...cause that was not on her list of viable careers.

BMI/NSAI

Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    RE: updated song.... 2008/05/16 14:13:19 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker
    I think that this is the first of your tunes I've heard........I LIKE IT..........
    Yep....Willie and Neil and all there.....It's kind a cool.......I like the sound of your guitar work.....kind of took me back to 1965......and that surf kind of sound......I know what you mean about programing drums One beat at a time because that is the only way I know how to do .....execpt to play out some patterns on session drummer and then tweak......tweak......tweak........and then throw away and start again.....I find drum programming the hardest........but some day with more effort.......I will be better.....maybe not good.....but better......

anyway when I find some time I think I am going to give your set a listen........

Cliff

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    MannyNY
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: updated song.... 2008/05/17 09:02:57 (permalink)
    As soon as I heard this I realized that I'd heard some of your other material. You have a very strong vocal identity - and yes, I agree with the others, there is a Neil Young texture in there. Well done.
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: updated song.... 2008/05/17 12:28:58 (permalink)
    Nice tone on those guitars, just the right amount of verb and delay. Bass sounds HUGE on my system. Vocals seem just a little buried in the mix ... they sound great and could come up a little bit and my preference would be for a tiny bit less verb on the vocals. Nice song, good structure and it has that ""I really enjoyed doing this" feel about it.
    rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    RE: updated song.... 2008/05/19 23:10:10 (permalink)
    Hey Hacker,

I really like this tune for a few reasons. I saw you like the Outlaws. Me too. I always thought that western flavor made them unique with the more popular southern rockers. I can hear a tid bit of a variation of hurry sundown in the beat. What I really like is the way the lyrical content of the song sound over this type of music. It gives a unique feel and imagery to the song as a whole. And of course, nice guitar work.

rhyno
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: updated song.... 2008/05/19 23:58:33 (permalink)
    Man, those drums are right up there! :-) Not saying that's a bad thing. Are you a drumer?

I like the song, and I like your voice for this song, it's a nice fit :-)

I get a little John Anderson "blow blow Seminole wind" vibe from this. Not bad, that's a great song! As is this. Good job, I liked it.

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    Guitarhacker
    RE: updated song.... 2008/05/20 14:35:15 (permalink)
    I never realized it had the "Hurry Sundown" Outlaws sound..... I really did enjoy working on this tune.

I like the darker mood to this song by the use of minor chords and the harmonies on the guitars.

I am not a drummer. I played drums in school but quit before SR High. I played in a few bands where the drummer was very loud and ....I think maybe the drums could have been a bit lower in the mix...not to much lower...just a db or so.

Seminole Wind is probably my favorite John Anderson song.....that's a comliment to be compared to that song. Thanks...

On the drums, I use a great little program called Jamstix which pretty much plays for me. The drums on this song were programmed by me a few years back and then I used JS2 to play the midi track. Jamstix is a phenominal drum program for people like me who know what I want to hear but don't know enough necessarrily to get it down in a track. JS2 does all the heavy lifting for me. If I had not already tracked the midi drums..JS2 whould have done it for me....

On my SC site...the jazz jam is a tune that JS2 tracked for me. I told JS2 to used drummer "charlie" play a smooth jazz style, and do it on a jazz drum kit. If you listen, you can hear Charlie playing leading the beat in a few places and lagging in a few others ...just like a real drummer in a jazz band might do.

BTW: I don't get any bonus points for this....but ...right now jamstix is running a sale on JS2. Free demo's are downloadable too. at www.rayzoon.com

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/05/20 14:56:21

BMI/NSAI

Freeze1st
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1213
    RE: updated song.... 2008/05/20 19:06:27 (permalink)
    I thought it sounded great! You can sing better than I can, for one thing I can't sing but I like to try sometimes. I haven't heard many of your songs but I can tell from the ones I have that you should sing more often. JMO

I thought this sounded great, thing is man I know where you are coming from trying to bring back a song and add to it, I have sony's soundforge audio studio and not the pro version, but I got it just to restore some old cassettes that I have just to be able to hear everything that was going on and they were made like 20-22 or give or take a year or so ago. It's really time consuming as I'm sure you found out with this song going back in time.

If you wouldn't have told me all that you done I would have never known the difference to be honest, ofcourse I am new and have been limited on time since my first post as far as using MC4 or recording, that's what so many I have talked to don't understand, they look at my start date and think I've had time to read it all and learn it all and I haven't. Football season kinda took up a lot of my time towards the end of last year, but I'm startin' to get back in the groove. When I say football season I mean I am a big fan of a few teams and have a lot of friends who are the same on various websites and in person. Ok enough about me.

I'd like to hear more things like this, this gives me hope on bringing back some of my old songs. Thanks! :)

Keep on keepin' on!

MC4,Bossbr1600,Maudio2496,Vista HP, Stinger Electric Guitar,New York Pro Bass, MXL V67
    DuRod
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1082
    RE: updated song.... 2008/05/20 19:41:29 (permalink)
    I hear a slight country twist that sounds really cool, and looove that bass. Nice lyrics and vocals sound great, but would like to hear them just a little bit more, sound slightly buried to me. Good stuff!!

Duane
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1