upgrading my current PC/DAW

Author
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
2016/04/29 15:55:10 (permalink)

upgrading my current PC/DAW

i had my current daw pc put together by a custom builder here in town, back in '08....

called him to tell him i wanted to upgrade my pc guts,
but he's gone...

looked around for someone else to do the build.....
several folk have told me to just do it myself.

i've never built a pc before.
i've installed sound cards before, and changed out drives, but that's it.

so, i need a bit of guidance...

pieces parts, yes, i can buy those on line, that's not the problem, knowing what i have...
and what i can easily change out for upgrade...and understanding compatability between what i want to keep and what i need to update......is my problem.

if any of you guru's have time to look at my current build, 
and tell me what you think is still compatible..
and what would easily retrofit, and what i would have to 'forget about', i'd appreciate it!

Current config:
  • Antec Solo Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
  • LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model
  • Intel BOXDP35DPM LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • ASUS EN8400GS SILENT/HTP/256M GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
  • Thermaltake TR2 RX W0134RU 550W ATX12V Ver2.2 SLI Ready Modular Passive PFC PFC Power Supply
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400
  • CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400
  • (2) Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3400620AS 400GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drives
  • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP3 English
  • Maudio Audiophile 192 card
  • MultiCard reader
  • USB 2.0 connections (2 up front, 4 in back)

i'd like to keep the Maudio card, but i'll be moving to a USB-based interface soon after the pc upgrade.
the power supply is fine, the drives are fine, the case is fine, the graphics card is fine, the cd burner is fine..

so, i'm mostly looking to update:
the motherboard and chipset;
more Ram;
USB 3.0;
Windows 10 x64;

i'm not a power user,
do not use very much in terms of samples, other than superior drummer.

i think i'm looking at: 
ATX form factor
Z97 motherboards that offer USB3.1
Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz (4 cores)
8GB RAM (dual-channel) - maybe 16gb, depending on cost

i'm currently not connected to the net with my machine,
i need to add a WIFI solution, either on the new motherboard, or as an add-on.

maybe updated my “C” drive with something like a Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB Internal SSD

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

29 Replies Related Threads

Acron
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/04/29 21:14:12 (permalink)
    Why z97 and 4790k? I would rather go for z170 as it supports DDR4 and usb3.1.

If you are going to upgrade, this is what I would have done today (I'm waiting for Kaby lake or Cannonlake for my next build):

Asus z170-p 
    Corsair V or HyperX F 16gb 2666mhz ddr4 ram (2x8gb)
    i7 6700k (bundled or the i5 6600k if you want to keep the cost down)  
    256 gb SSD for OS/Apps
    usb 3 ac wireless11
    win10

Power supply and graphics should be ok as long as you don't do gaming, videos or overclock. But due to age I wold consider changing the PSU to protect the new parts.

I would recommend to do a full new build.

-
    W7 x64, Sonar PP x64; Komplete U10, Melodyne S. 4; i5-3570k - Asus P8Z77V - CV 1600Mhz 16 Gb RAM - 120GB SSD OS/APP - 240 GB SSD Samples - SG 2GB Audio - HD 7770 - Presonus 1818VSL - Yamaha HS50 - Studiologic SL88 Studio - Akai MPD226
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/04/30 06:35:05 (permalink)
    "Must" you have Wi-Fi?  Wi-Fi is a know cause of audio problems, DPC Latency, pops clicks, etc.  If you must have Wi-Fi it must be disabled when using Sonar.  Also, most (just about all) new motherboards do not have a true PCI card slot/bus.  They may have a PCI card slot but not pure PCI bus, it is just a bridge to the PCIe bus and many PCI cards will not work or work properly with a PCI/PCIe bridged slot. 

The upgrade you mention may work, but why go with "old" technology?  If you are upgrading go with current technology hardware.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/04/30 13:05:27 (permalink)
    Bat I would have a word with Jim Roseberry and check out StudioCat I suspect you will get a better PC in the end from him.  I tried to build my own last year but I could still not do better than three of the UK DAW builders.
    Definitely think about an i7 quad core, 16 Gig of RAM should do you, a 500g SDD for your OS and Programs a 1Tb for your Audio and a 1 Tb for samples (superior drummer) and other stuff.

Best

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    batsbrew
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/04/30 14:57:21 (permalink)
    Acron
    Why z97 and 4790k? I would rather go for z170 as it supports DDR4 and usb3.1.

just because of the cost.
    i have a limited budget.

AcronPower supply and graphics should be ok as long as you don't do gaming, videos or overclock. But due to age I wold consider changing the PSU to protect the new parts.

the power supply is a nice one.... why should it have degraded just from nothing but recording sessions?

AcronI would recommend to do a full new build.

well, i don't see the point in replacing the things that work fine....
    i really like how quiet the rig is now....

i think the point was, budget, budget budget.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/04/30 15:00:59 (permalink)
    fireberd
    "Must" you have Wi-Fi?

yes, can't run cable, downstairs and too far, and NOT having connection has been smart from a stability point of view,
    but with plugins and updates, i need to have a connection to the net.
    what's the big deal about just turning all that stuff off until i need it?

fireberd Also, most (just about all) new motherboards do not have a true PCI card slot/bus.
      so, what are the names of the ones that do?
    what's the budget solution for keeping the maudio card rolling?
    is that an argument to let it go?
    if i have a usb based interface as my soundcard, i would no longer need the pci card anyway, correct?

fireberdThe upgrade you mention may work, but why go with "old" technology?  If you are upgrading go with current technology hardware.

i'm sorry, that question throws me...
    i'm trying to updgrade my box with new motherboard and chipset...
    and more ram.
    what is this 'old technology' you are talking about?
    confusion is starting to set in....

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/04/30 15:03:25 (permalink)
    Wookiee
    Bat I would have a word with Jim Roseberry and check out StudioCat I suspect you will get a better PC in the end from him.

not a bad idea, but i figured you guys here talk about pieces parts here all the time,
    is that not what i need to do, just upgraded some pieces/parts?

otherwise, i might as well just chuck the old one out the door, 
    and buy an entire brand new rig.
    which i do not want to do.
    these are not disposable pieces, i don't understand the build issues i guess.

that's why i went to a private builder the first time,
    told him what i wanted,
    stripped down the OS to the bare minimum,
    and worked blissfully on that system for 8 years.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/04/30 15:54:35 (permalink)
    The Wi-Fi can be turned off.  Best option is to get a USB Wi-Fi adapter and only plug it in when needed.

"Current technology" is newer CPU's than what you stated.  Its a fine CPU but is "several years ago model".

I don't know which ones specifically have a true PCI slot (if you need that).  Jim Roseberry can probably address that.

If you are going to go with a new motherboard and CPU you probably will need new (compatible) memory.  A new power supply should also be on the list.  The old one may work fine but if its more than a couple of years old its time for a replacement - they do not last forever.  Consider one of the "modular" power supplies as it eliminates many of the unused power leads and thus eliminates cable clutter inside case and better air flow.

Unless there is a specific need, you don't need a Video card replacement or even a video card.  The Intel HD Graphics that are built into the CPU will work fine for Sonar and many other applications. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Serious_Noize!
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 950
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/04/30 19:38:01 (permalink)
    Whatever you get turn off the Core Parking, that caused my Dell PC I bought for me all types of problems.

Sometimes it doesn't matter what you get PC wise, if your operating system doesn't work properly for what you wanna do then it doesn't matter. 

I am using Windows 10 and I found this video and it made all the difference for me. Like I said the Core Parking when recording was causing a big problem for me, but not all PC's have Core Parking turned on/off. 

Either way, whatever you build/buy or get, if you are using Windows 8/8.1/10 then I highly recommend turning off the core parking and following some of the tweaks in this video. Core parking being the main one. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwLzg0GJhoA

Good luck!

batsbrew
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/04/30 19:54:10 (permalink)
    ok thanks for all the input, guys, i'm still chewing on this...

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/05/01 13:15:16 (permalink)
    batsbrew

i think i'm looking at: 
    ATX form factor
    Z97 motherboards that offer USB3.1
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz (4 cores)
    8GB RAM (dual-channel) - maybe 16gb, depending on cost

i'm currently not connected to the net with my machine,
    i need to add a WIFI solution, either on the new motherboard, or as an add-on.

maybe updated my “C” drive with something like a Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB Internal SSD

For the MoB, I am running is this one Bat https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z97P/ it has two PCi slots and runs Win 10 64bit no problem.  This MoB is popular with many UK DAW builders.

The on board Graphics can support three displays providing they are
    1. One Analogue
    2. One Digital
    3. HDMI

With the i7 4790k CPU 4 cores 8 threads. with one of these http://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/479 to cool it down and it is exceptionally quite and capable of running the CPU over-clocked.

Go for 16 gig of ram, but do it with two 8 gig dims then you can add more if you need it, especially if you decide to go with the onboard graphics approach.

Think about having an SSD for your Boot and OS at least 250Gig better 500Gig seconds to up and running rather than a couple of minuets. 

All your old stuff should run fine, maybe a 650W PSU might be something to think about in the future and I agree with the modular approach on the PSU.

Is that better information

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/05/01 20:34:15 (permalink)
    I would suggest you look at the age of your existing hard drives, that you seem to be porting over to the new system, from the old one.

The reason I mention that is two-fold.  First of all, those hard drives sound like they are more than a couple of years old, and in addition to being WAY slower than the SATA III drives (up to 6.0 gbps), your drives are SATA II drives (up to 3.0 gbps), they are likely GOING to fail.  Seagate drives seem to come with warranty support of from 1-3 years nowadays, and your new motherboard will have support for the SATA III drives.

You can pick up a nice shiny new 2 TB Toshiba SATA III 7,200 RPM HDD for $69.99, with a 3 year warranty, OR a 1 TB Toshiba SATA III 7,200 RPM HDD for $39.99.

You can also pick up a 120 GB SSD SATA III drive for around $40-$50, and a 240 GB SSD for around $60-$70.

Just some food for thought for you. :)

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/05/01 21:37:47 (permalink)
    If you want to go the budget route I would keep the case. Internal parts are subject to problems over time. For this reason most builders just replace them to avoid future problems, even if they worked on the old system. Old style hard drives which are spinning a platter every time you use them are subject to mechanical wear.

Re using the old power supply would be iffy but might be possible if the current drain on the new parts isn't over loading it.

Most vendors have matched cpu/motherboard combos already picked, so when you order the set you know it's compatible. You could order one of those with a new hard drive and OS,memory.. cross your fingers and be on your way.

One of these recent threads had what I thought looked like a crossover mobo from AMD with the PCI slots so you could  keep your M-audio card and also had usb 3.0. Really though, PCI is on the way out. If you aren't planning to keep the card for much longer why bother?

I wrote an article on building your own PC at my website, but if you just don't want to build it yourself I understand.

Total cost with DIY upgrades would be-

Mobo cpu combo

at least one SSD

New OS

16gb memory

new usb 3.0 interface

amd is less expensive. For simple recording you wouldn't notice a difference. Maybe some AMD people can chime in. I normally would recommend Intel but if budget is a real concern many have successfully built amd systems with no issues. My first build was an amd and I never had any trouble with it..

post edited by Starise - 2016/05/03 13:46:31

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

LLyons
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 574
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/05/01 22:43:08 (permalink)
    With today's technology it's good to have a go to knowledge source if you run into problems, but - I'm somewhat of a knucklehead with hardware and I made it through my latest build a few weeks ago using the wealth of knowledge on the Internet and about 4 hours in total time. I kept the case, the DVD burner, and wanted to keep the power supply and video card. With my technology choices and age, those last two had to be replaced. The power supply rating was just over the total load and I had a few small issues with that in cpu performance as I was tweeking after the initial build.

I decided on erring on latest technology AND covering my bases with connectivity. I am happy with that beacon if you will. I went Skylake - i7 6700k. With that CPU and the ability to overclock, I went large with cooling - twin whisper quiet fans on rather large heat fin blocks and whisper quiet case fans - Well worth it because it cut the noise dramatically. I cut most of my tracks next to the PC. So for connectivity, I wanted to to make sure I had ALL current USB standards covered - 1,2,3 and 3.1 / C. I also wanted thunderbolt AND an Ethernet port that is already AVB - TNS compliant. I chose a gigabyte Z170 ud5 thunderbolt mobo - about 80 bucks more than a good average unit. .

The reason for all the different connectivity options? I have both a MOTU 1248 AVB Thunderbolt, and Presonus RM32 / CS18 AVB FireWire units. To be certain, the MOTU works just fine with USB 2 - but - Windows started supporting THUNDERBOLT 1, 2 and 3 back in November I believe. Motu just announced asio support this spring. Think about that - 40gb speeds. Boggles my average mind. I will need a TB3 to TB1 unit for the MOTU, they start coming out this month. The moral is - when I chose the mobo, MOTU had not yet announced. Both MOTU and Presonus are in the game with AVB TNS. Windows isn't ready with TNS support - yet. I will convert to TNS as soon as it is ready.

So you might want to consider.- right cooling - right amount of power - connectivity options.

Take care.

LL

L Lyons 
    DOS and Windows Pro Audio 2-9 from 12 Tone, Sonar 2, 2XL, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 8.5, Producer, Producer Expanded, X1 Producer, X2 Producer, X3 Producer and now Sonar Platinum 64 bit - 2nd year
    Home Built Machine
    32G Ram - Corsair Vengeance DDR4 
    Win 10 Pro
    Intel i7-6700K
    Gigabyte Z170-UD5 Thunderbolt3 - AVB ready
    Planar Hellium 27 touchscreen
    Limited connection to internet
    DAW use ONLY
    WAVES 9.2 64 Bit 
    MOTU 1248 - Connect Thunderbolt
    MOTU AVB Switch
    Presonus RM32ai - Connect firewire 800
    CS18ai - Connect AVB
    Starise
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/05/02 11:29:08 (permalink)
    LLyons
    With today's technology it's good to have a go to knowledge source if you run into problems, but - I'm somewhat of a knucklehead with hardware and I made it through my latest build a few weeks ago using the wealth of knowledge on the Internet and about 4 hours in total time. 

Take care.

LL

Congrats!  

Some people are justifiably skittish about building a computer, especially if they have zero experience. Some people probably should get someone to do it for them if they have no mechanical ability. Usually though, the average person who can handle a screw driver, and who uses the information freely available on the web and elsewhere can do it themself if they want to do it.

I think what you said above is key. You were able to get the knowledge you needed on the internet and it only took 4 hours.

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

tomixornot
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/05/02 12:12:13 (permalink)
    May I chime in... I'm currently researching for a motherboard for either i7 6700K or i7 4970K. I needed the 2nd PC for outdoor / live use.

Since my current i7 2600K is still going strong, I figure either 4970K or 6700K will do the job fine. Instead, I based my selection on Anantech DPC latency test, if it makes sense.

For Z97 (scroll down to DPC latency chart)
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8045/asrock-z97-extreme6-review-ultra-m2-x4-tested-with-xp941/6

Edit (more Z97)
    http://anandtech.com/show/8276/z97-miniitx-review-at-140-asrock-z97e-itx-msi-z97i-ac-and-gigabyte-z97n-wifi/6

For Z170
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/10206/the-asus-maximus-viii-extreme-review/6

Edit (more Z170)
    http://anandtech.com/show/10236/the-msi-z170a-sli-plus-review/6

Sitting at the top (at 20 micro sec DPC latency) is Asus Maximus VIII (Z170) but the cost is way too high for me.

Next (at 39 micro sec DPC latency) is ASRock Z97 Extreme6, at a good price too. This board (the one tested) does not come with USB 3.1. However, there is another version of ASRock Extreme6 + USB 3.1 at a higher price.

To be fair, Anantech mentioned that any board with DPC latency of less than 500 micro sec (which all of them are) should do the job fine.
    post edited by tomixornot - 2016/05/02 13:27:20

Albert

i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz / MB Intel DP67BG / 16GB Ram
    - ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)
    - Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDD (Samples)
    Audio interface : Motu 828 MK ii

i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz / MB Asrock Z170 / 16GB Ram
    - Samsung EVO 850 120GB / 500 GB SSD

Audio interface : Roland Quad Capture

Win 10 Pro / Sonar Platinum
    batsbrew
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/05/02 13:09:18 (permalink)
    wow, lots of great info coming in...
    i hope this can help someone else....

so, i have a lot of questions to dial this in,
    but my main one at the moment,
    is how do i figure out which of the current crop of motherboards, will support the video card i already have, and want to keep?

it seems that most of the motherboards i've looked at, have built in video graphics....

i've always thought it wise to keep the video separate from the MB......?

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/05/02 13:23:07 (permalink)
    and, 
    i don't quite understand the 'hyperthread' capability.....
    and if i need i7 versus i5;
    i don't want to mess with overclocking;
    i mostly work with audio files;

i guess i'm not what you would consider a 'power user', because i don't do video or gaming,
    and don't use large libraries, or any samples really, other than superior drummer....

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

tomixornot
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/05/02 13:23:27 (permalink)
    To use a separate video card or not depends if you are running other graphics intensive application, or need to support more display monitors that the build in graphic can't..

For my 2nd PC, I would use the build in graphic since it's going to run on one display monitor only, mainly Sonar and other audio application.

Albert

- ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)

tomixornot
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/05/02 13:40:54 (permalink)
    With my limited understanding.. I suppose the 'hyperthread' capability makes a quad-core CPU appears have 8 threads.

Also, if I'm not sure if a target CPU is good, I'll always google 'target cpu' vs 'your current cpu' to try to have an idea if the performance / price is worth it. It may not be accurate, but at least some reference for me to make a decision ?

Albert

- ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)

tomixornot
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/05/02 14:25:37 (permalink)
    > but my main one at the moment,
    is how do i figure out which of the current crop of motherboards, will support the video card i already have, and want to keep?

If you're referring to your GeForce 8400 :
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8400_tech_specs.html

* Designed for PCI Express® x16

Then all current board should support it, or if it's the case of mini itx board, there is at least one PCI-E x16 available.

Albert

- ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)

batsbrew
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/05/03 10:53:08 (permalink)
    good to know about the 8400, i just might have to keep it to be able to update the other items that are more important...
    i hate having to work inside a strict budget.
    makes it much harder than it needs to be.

still chewing on all this info, i'm still doing homework

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/05/03 10:56:42 (permalink)
    then again, i'm not doing video editing...

integrated graphics might be plenty......

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/05/03 11:59:40 (permalink)
    Hyper-threading basically the CPU's with this have a means of reconfiguring themselves so they look to the OS like they have more CPU's than they really have.  

So a Quad Core i7 or i5 has 4 cores or four CPU's four threads (processes)
    An i7 or i5 quad core with hyper-threading has 4 cores but looks like 8 cores or eight threads (processes) to the OS.

If I remember correctly it is something Intel got when they acquired the technology from DEC and their ALPHA processor.  Which could reconfigure itself to look like different CPU's.

I would think an i5 would probably do you an i7 would just do it more efficiently probably and have a little more life expectancy because of the extra processing capability, as processing load increases.

eg, i5 something like this http://ark.intel.com/products/80817/Intel-Core-i5-4460-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz no Hyper-threading.

or i7 http://ark.intel.com/products/80806/Intel-Core-i7-4790-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz 4 core 8 threads

they do a variant 4790K which can turbo up to 4.4Ghz.  (I use this CPU)

or i7 http://ark.intel.com/products/82932/Intel-Core-i7-5820K-Processor-15M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz 6 cores 12 threads 

or i7 http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz 4 cores 8  threads latest generation of Intel CPU's

Starise
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/05/03 14:05:56 (permalink)
    "I've always thought it wise to keep the video separate from the MB......?"

This isn't a necessity. I like to keep them separate because then if I have a problem it doesn't involve my entire motherboard, so I decided to keep things more modular. Not a necessity just the way I like to work. With the i5 the video capability is on the chip.There are plenty of video cards that support multiple monitors as mine does.

Choices are  good to have. Can you give some idea of how many tracks you typically record, how many plug-ins you're using in a typical mix, what programs etc.? Is your present computer straining to get the job done?  I'm guessing from what I know about you so far that you might be considered an average user and wouldn't necessarily need a power user type of setup and this means you don't need to spend as much money.

Maybe somewhere in the middle would be more than enough. 

I'm very happy with my 5820K which is a bit more powerful than the i5 , but several here use the i5 and it does everything they need it to do and then some. If you can use an i5 with no problem, then you can also look at AMD processors and motherboards as a less expensive alternative. 

post edited by Starise - 2016/05/09 08:48:48

Twitter @Rodein

batsbrew
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/05/03 14:20:33 (permalink)
    Starise,

i suppose, if i take a poll of my latest album tracks...

one song had 65 tracks.... all audio.

when i arrange drum tracks in superior drummer, i leave them as stereo output while in midi...
    and leave them that way until i finalize an arrangement.
    then i output all the drum tracks as mono 24 bit audio, and end up with as many as 30 drum tracks.
    sometimes i'll pare that down, to a typical 16 tracks.

i do keys in midi, but commit to audio when i'm doing final mixing... (freeze synth)

i'm very liberal with EQ on every track,
    i usually have at least 12 sub busses, all of those with either compression, limiting, eq, or all 3 on them....
    at least 2 of those will be effects busses, with reverb or delay...

i rarely put plugs on individual tracks, rather, i'll sum them to a buss, and let the buss do the effects,
    but i do use individual track effects sends/returns for room effects....

i did this whole album, "Stay", on a core 2 processor with only 2 gigs of ram, running Win XP.
    did the computer strain?

no, not at all.

the only reason i want to upgrade, is that the system is 8 years old,
    i cannot update any of my superior drummer midi packs and program itself, because they quit updating for Win XP.

i've been painted into a corner.
    otherwise, with 8 gigs more ram, i'd probably be fine. don't know if my slots will even support 8 gigs, and win XP wouldn't see it anyway, if i updated the O/S, i could probably limp along fine for a few more years.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Starise
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/05/03 15:35:06 (permalink)
     The way you like to work in mixing seems light on the computer to me.

I'm guessing you use the regular channel EQ so nothing particularly heavy going on in the tracks. The busses could add up with plugs on them. I think you mentioned using a lot of Waves plugs..some of those can hit the cpu harder than the native plug-ins.

You mix way more tracks than I suspected. I'm surprised that the old computer could do that.

You can probably use an i5 and be perfectly fine. If you went to an i7 you would have far more flexibility to do things on individual tracks and not need to wait until mixdown, but I think this is how you like to work.

An i7 like one of those mentioned by Wookie  gives you some future breathing room and you can use your video card. You wouldn't need the best of the best i7. Just an average chip. I don't have the specs in front of me right now but Wookie already got you started. There is a big difference in price when you start to get into the more powerful i7 line, but you don't need to do that unless you want to do that. A mid level motherboard/ chip should keep you in business for a long time to come.

I'll try to get you some more info tomorrow unless someone else beats me to it.

Twitter @Rodein

Starise
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/05/04 13:27:01 (permalink)
    Here's an example of a cpu/mobo combo that's a few generations back but packs a lot of punch. You get an i7 cpu at 4.4ghz and an ASRock mobo with usb 3.0.  
    http://www.portatech.com/products/product.cshtml?id=79417&o=85705

It isn't the latest and the greatest but it's plenty powerful enough for what you do. 

I guess it depends on if you want "cutting edge" or are willing to use something that works fine but isn't recent. This will still run win10 64 bit. The benefit to this is cost since hardware that's starting to get older but is still new in the box won't cost near as much.

Going to more recent chips and motherboards will be more expensive.

Twitter @Rodein

batsbrew
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/05/04 16:21:55 (permalink)
    thanks starise,
    i'm chewing on the possibilities now..
    and if i can cough up enough dough to step up to the better decision.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Starise
    Re: upgrading my current PC/DAW 2016/05/05 11:30:51 (permalink)
    Let me know if I can help further. Shoot me a PM if you want. 

You could go for a slightly slower cpu and still be in the 3.5ghz range, be ok and save a little more dough. I didn't add the memory and cooling or the price of a new OS.
    This is micro ATX form factor which would probably fit your case but I would make sure. I don't deal with these guys but they  look decent and they install the cpu for you.There's also plenty of others out there.
    Good luck!

Twitter @Rodein

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1