use what i have now or cash in

Author
syntheticpop
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 688
2010/11/15 16:00:29 (permalink)

use what i have now or cash in

i have a laptop that's several years old (my fear was that it wouldn't be able to handle Sonar and various 3rd party plugins) but it just may be enough for me to use it to test drive and learn Sonar.  My other concern is that I will have spent a lot of time installing and setting up the DAW, 3rd party plugins, samples, soft synths, registering, etc.  So I can do what I've mentioned and use the laptop for about a year (in that period of time technology may improve and the prices on computers and parts may be cut).

or.. i can sell my laptop now, cash in and apply that money towards a new computer (sort of like trading in a used car to apply it to the sale of a new one).  the disadvantage to this is that i'm forced to get whatever is on the market, paying the price for the newer i3, i5 or i7's that aren't fast, powerful and affordable as I'd like them to be. 

or.. i can sell my laptop now, cash in and just put that money away in a savings account for a year.  In that meantime I would just watch Sonar videos, order Scott's Sonar 8 Power book and just learn what I can on this forum.

so i have several choices and I want to choose the one that benefits me the most.  hope you guys will enlighten me with some insightful feedback.
post edited by syntheticpop - 2010/11/15 16:03:20

1 Reply Related Threads

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:use what i have now or cash in 2010/11/15 16:16:13 (permalink)
    or.. i can sell my laptop now, cash in and just put that money away in a savings account for a year.

Either you have vastly overestimated the resale value of a used laptop, or you have missed the point the Federal Reserve is trying to make by telling you that saving your money is pointless in a zero-interest world with the value of the dollar being forced down by "quantitative easing." Your laptop may be the only thing of value you own in a year. Whether the dollars you plan to use to buy a new Chinese laptop will be worth anything when the price of components falls is an interesting puzzle.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1