using combo amp for the speaker?

Author
jamdog
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
2008/09/05 15:20:01 (permalink)

using combo amp for the speaker?

i have a fender champ amp that has a 6inch speaker,it has a quarter inch cable for the output, so i could use a different cabinet,problem is i foolishly sold my 412 and 212 cabinets. i do have two amps that im not usingcarvin nomad and vox valvetronix.so my question is could i use the other amps just for the box and speaker.would i need to solder a cable to the speaker prongs.any tips,thanks in advance

3 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: using combo amp for the speaker? 2008/09/05 15:49:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamdog

i have a fender champ amp that has a 6inch speaker,it has a quarter inch cable for the output, so i could use a different cabinet,problem is i foolishly sold my 412 and 212 cabinets. i do have two amps that im not usingcarvin nomad and vox valvetronix.so my question is could i use the other amps just for the box and speaker.would i need to solder a cable to the speaker prongs.any tips,thanks in advance

As long as the built in amp is disconnected you can use those speakers. If they have a 1/4" plug on the other amps just use a barrel connector to get the Fender connected to those speakers. If there is no disconnect on those amps you will need to install one. Either a jack on the box or an inline Plug/Jack on the speaker cable.

What ohm is the 6 inch speaker in the Fender ? Check it and then check the ohm load of the other speakers. As long as they are the same or the others are higher you are OK. However, if the Fender speaker is 8 ohm and the others are lower (say 4 ohm) that might cause the Fender to overheat or worse. If the other amp has more then one speaker you can get creative with the wireing and get a different ohm load if needed. Do you know how to do that ?

jamdog
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: using combo amp for the speaker? 2008/09/05 16:12:12 (permalink)
    the ohms are the same 8 for all of them.the carvin seems to have a 1/4 inch jack it has been modded so i wonder if i could connect to this really quick to see if i get sound.a jack on the box or an inline Plug/Jack on the speaker cable is this something i could get at radio shack.i geuss i could buy a empty speaker cabinet to.
    post edited by jamdog - 2008/09/05 16:17:49
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: using combo amp for the speaker? 2008/09/05 16:20:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamdog

the ohms are the same 8 for all of them.the carvin seems to have a 1/4 inch jack it has been modded so i wonder if i could connect to this really quick to see if i get sound.a jack on the box or an inline Plug/Jack on the speaker cable is this something i could get at radio shack.i geuss i could buy a empty speaker cabinet to.

Yeah... RatShack should have them... you don't even need the shielded ones for speaker level just get the ones with the plastic handle.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1