using mic input

Author
inatreebythebrook
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2010/07/25 08:17:29 (permalink)

using mic input

I am using GT 2.0 with a laptop that only has a mic input. Works great with mic, but how can I record my guitar direct? The signal is way to powerful, especially if I use my effect processor.

The guys at Guitar Center say that a direct box or a compression unit with gain reduction will never work to match impedence. Anyone have a solution?

I love GT 2.0 because it is simple, and it runs great on a slow, old laptop. All I need is to fix my input problem and I have me a mobile studio.

4 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:using mic input 2010/07/25 20:48:17 (permalink)
    The mic input is software switchable to a line level input on some laptops. If that works, you could use a direct box.
    However, a better solution would be a USB interface.
    Line6, M-Audio, E-MU, etc., offer units from $100-250 that have line inputs as well as instrument and mic inputs. Some offer phantom power for condenser mics.
    The biggest advantage is that these interfaces offer near-real time A/D conversion, which can be important when recording live tracks and/or using software effects.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:using mic input 2010/07/25 21:05:33 (permalink)
    inatreebythebrook

I am using GT 2.0 with a laptop that only has a mic input. Works great with mic, but how can I record my guitar direct? The signal is way to powerful, especially if I use my effect processor.

The guys at Guitar Center say that a direct box or a compression unit with gain reduction will never work to match impedence. Anyone have a solution?

I love GT 2.0 because it is simple, and it runs great on a slow, old laptop. All I need is to fix my input problem and I have me a mobile studio.

Hi Inatree,

An modestly priced little mixer would do it for you, I say, for example the Xenix-802.

Here's a typical place with one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.c...8_Channel_Compact.html

This unit, similar, or better,  is not superfluous even if you do get additional gear later.

Welcome to the forum, and best of all.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    princepearce
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:using mic input 2010/08/12 10:13:35 (permalink)
    If you do what you suggest, it will simply playback whatever you say into the mic through the speakers. The mic is not intended to be a playback device. It is a recording device so those are the properties you have to adjust.
    Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    Re:using mic input 2010/08/12 20:47:02 (permalink)
    RobertB is dead on. I have several Line 6 audio recording devices kicking around as well as a Lexicon Lambda. They work well for getting a guitar signal into a laptop. The upside with the Line 6 gear is that it comes with modeling software for guitar amps. It's still among the best modeling software I've come across next to the Native Instruments Guitar Rig. I think you'll find a lot of the guys on here are still using their Line 6 Gear, Like randy and Strummy.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1