vocal clips different

Author
tcaylor
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 701
2008/09/22 17:53:18 (permalink)

vocal clips different

I posted this in the Sonar forum but with all the S8 hoopla, it got 26 views and no replies. Come to think of it, it probably is more suited to techniques anyway.

I have a song where I did several different vocal takes all within a 2 hour period of time. I'd sing two lines of a section over and over for 10-12 takes layered in Sonar then move to the next section of the song and do the same thing. The good news is that I ended with a pretty good composite track this way. The bad news is that some of the clips are noticeably different from each other in terms of eq. I think it may have been me getting a little too close to the mike for some of these. I've eq'd the track and mixed in a little reverb but it is still noticeable to me.

Should I try to eq the offending clips to get them to sound close the others, print them and merge them in the master vocal track? Any other suggestions?

thanks,

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Sonar Platinum, AMD FX-4100 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Win 7, RME Fireface USB, UA LA-610, Dynaudio BM 5A monitors, G&L Asat Classic, Peavy Wolfgang, 1990 Strat Ultra, Alvarez PD-80SC Acoustic

2 Replies Related Threads

GrottoRob
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 677
    RE: vocal clips different 2008/09/22 18:43:34 (permalink)
    Should I try to eq the offending clips to get them to sound close the others, print them and merge them in the master vocal track?

Depends on how many clips you have to fix. If it's one or two, then try it. If many more than that, you would probably spend less time re-tracking. At least now you have a guideline for how you want to sing the song, so maybe it won't take so long. Just don't touch your input signal chain settings once you start, and be mindful of your position relative to the mic. A tape strip on the floor (in front of the mic) is good for that.

Rob
    tcaylor
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 701
    RE: vocal clips different 2008/09/22 22:01:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: GrottoRob

Should I try to eq the offending clips to get them to sound close the others, print them and merge them in the master vocal track?

Depends on how many clips you have to fix. If it's one or two, then try it. If many more than that, you would probably spend less time re-tracking. At least now you have a guideline for how you want to sing the song, so maybe it won't take so long. Just don't touch your input signal chain settings once you start, and be mindful of your position relative to the mic. A tape strip on the floor (in front of the mic) is good for that.

Rob

Thanks for the reply Rob,

As it turns out, it was more of a difference in levels between takes driving my effects a little harder. Once I evened up the levels they sound pretty similar. I did have a couple that really were on the boomy side. I was lucky because I had several good ones to choose from. Next time, I'll listen to all the takes without fx before selecting and also be more mindful of the distance between voice and mic.

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Sonar Platinum, AMD FX-4100 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Win 7, RME Fireface USB, UA LA-610, Dynaudio BM 5A monitors, G&L Asat Classic, Peavy Wolfgang, 1990 Strat Ultra, Alvarez PD-80SC Acoustic
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1