vocal software

Author
shawn912
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 136
2008/11/10 21:40:42 (permalink)

vocal software

I want to add some backup vocals to my songs but it sounds strange having the same voice on both lead and backup. Are there any programs that allow you to change the characteristics of vocals? I tried changing the pitch and equalization but it just sounds phony and goofy.

3 Replies Related Threads

Blades
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3246
    RE: vocal software 2008/11/11 10:12:22 (permalink)
    You could try to run v-vocal against it and change just the formant or something and then bunmp it a little out of time and a little in the stereo spectrum away from each other.

Blades
    www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: vocal software 2008/11/11 14:20:05 (permalink)
    Actually, having singers supply their own background parts is a time-honored tradition that dates back to the dawn of multitrack recording (Les Paul and Mary Ford) and remains a common practice to this day. For harmonies in particular, nobody on the planet will blend better with you than you do.

However, it is common to effect foreground and background vocal parts differently: different EQ, panning and reverb/delay.

For one thing, you usually put more reverb and/or delay on background vocals, which helps create the aural illusion that they are further back than the lead vocal.

If the background vocals are harmonies to the lead, they are usually panned slightly left and right of the lead. This helps keep them from "steppiing on" the lead and creates an illusion that all the voices aren't coming from the same place.

Background vocals often have a spectral notch cut out of them around 2-4Khz, which improves intelligibility of the lead vocal. You're basically treating the vocals as multiple instruments and carving a spectral profile for each one that lets them sit in the mix, just like you'd do with multiple guitars.

Pitch tricks are tricky. Mostly they are used to fatten a single voice to make it sound like it was double-tracked. IMO there is no substitute for real double-tracking. One pitch-related tip though: if you use V-Vocal or Melodyne to correct pitch on background parts, use the tool very conservatively. Allowing a little pitch imprecision in background vocals actually fattens them up.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: vocal software 2008/11/11 18:11:25 (permalink)
    I want to add some backup vocals to my songs but it sounds strange having the same voice on both lead and backup

I do background vocs myself and all i do is find a pitch that is different, but blends with the lead vocal. I process them differently also. Background vocs usually get more reverb and effects on them and the lead vocal usually stays dry or dryer so it stands out with in combo with the other vocals. Its done all the time using just one person. Do about 10 different takes and choose the best 2 -10 and mix them into the song
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1