vocals in digital audio

Author
maxasillian
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2008/09/08 09:13:25 (permalink)

vocals in digital audio

Hello friends: Have a delta 1010 sound card,That has 2 mic inputs as well as most of the other input capabilities. However I have opted to use an external preamp, (presonus eureka pro) that also has a digital sound card ext (ad192) I am running my studio mic into the presonus, out of the ad192 (digital) into the spdif input.I was trying to avoid multi preamping because delta 1010 has preamps as well as mixer etc..Have found that input to sonar using digital for vocal is very broad for lack of better analogy...Can anyone advise a well intended one star cowboy How preamps are used in the chain, since mixers have preamps, sound cards ( XLR) have them also. I am not slow of thought but just kind of in need of a slight info adjustment. Trying to ask the right questions...This may sound simple to the likes of such knowlegable people but this is only a matter of the best methods according to the accumulative experience of this forums gurus..Thanks much

2 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: vocals in digital audio 2008/09/08 10:47:05 (permalink)
    you only need one preamp in the chain - it brings mic level up to line level. So if you run one mic preamp into another, the 2nd one will most likely overload since the input is so hot.

Something else, not all XLRs are mic inputs - they are for balanced signals, which mic level is.

So, if you are running your eureka via digital into the Delta digital, you should be fine. IF you don't like the sound you are getting from the eureka, I'd zero out every other component in it (it is a channel strip, right?). Zero out the EQ and take the compressor out and see how you like your signal coming right from the preamp into the Delta. Two less things to worry about setting, that way. I use Presonus, tho not that piece, and the preamps are fine, if a little weak. I think the Eureka may have more output, but any way the signal should be nice and clean.

Very broad - I don't understand. Typically with vocal I roll off (via EQ) some of the bass to get rid of low frequency noise. Another thing - if you are using cardiod mic you might be putting it too close and hearing too much bass to begin with - the proximity effect.

So, check out your mic and placement. Once you get that sorted out, then start EQing and compressing, but only if the signal needs it. Use the KISS principle - not the band but "keep it simple, stupid." Don't think you need to slather reverb on everything (rookie mistake that I still have to force myself to do), or comp it or EQ. If the siganl sounds good don't mess with it - try to only add fx if it helps the sound fit into the song, not just because you can.

hope this helps,

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: vocals in digital audio 2008/09/08 11:09:08 (permalink)
    Something else, not all XLRs are mic inputs - they are for balanced signals, which mic level is.

Not all mics are balanced. Many are but not all.

Best
    John
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1