vst midi out?

Author
voidseeker
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2005/03/14 01:13:02 (permalink)

vst midi out?

Is it possible to use vst midi effects in project 5, like the midibag fx at Tobybear?
I would like to chain tohether a bunch of midi fx, (vst's), to effect a midi track. Have tried in Sonar to no avail.
Any advice?

6 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: vst midi out? 2005/03/14 06:41:55 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum, VS. You're talking apples & oranges: VST effects process audio, and are introduced into a DX application (like Sonar, or Project5) using the Cakewalk VST Adapter that comes with the package(s). If installed correctly, you'll find those in the Audio FX bin of P5, and they'll process the audio that exits a particular track/synth/sampler, etc.

MIDI FX (like TobyBear's stuff that you mentioned) are a different breed altogether. They process the MIDI stream directly before it gets to the track, and are located in the MIDI FX bin in Project5 when installed correctly. The catch is that you have to manually register the plugins within Windows. There's a good explanation on how to do so included with the MIDI FX plugs at TenCrazy. If you're still having trouble after that, post back, and we'll walk through it later (when I have a little bit more time). And, yes, you can chain a bunch of them together. HTH
    b rock
    RE: vst midi out? 2005/03/14 18:35:44 (permalink)
    OK, here is a reprint of the instructions that came with the Tencrazy MFX CC Map plugin. Substitute your own .dll [exact plugin file] name everywhere that it has "TcMfxCcMap.dll" listed in these instructions:
    Place the .dll file with your other MFX files: Cakewalk\Shared MIDI Plugins would be a good choice for standard SONAR installations. Then you must get the MFX information into the Windows registry with regsvr32...

* EASY WAY: Copy TcMfxCcMapReg.bat to the directory with the .dll, and double-click to run the .bat file.

If you don't get a RegSvr32 "succeeded" message, with the command window only flashing for a second, that means the batch file has failed. In that case, you must use the...

* HARD WAY: Open a command window, CD to the installation directory, and type:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe TcMfxCcMap.dll

If your Windows system directory is elsewhere, make the appropriate path change.

Really, though, you *should* be using the...

* FLEXIBLE WAY: Go to TenCrazy.com and get the "Windows Shell Extensions" distribution. Read those instructions... and never have to worry about this process again!
    I usually use the Hard Way, myself. Remember, use the Command Prompt, not the Run ... command for this operation. You won't have the batch file option [Easy Way] for any other MIDI plugin except the TenCrazy offerings. If you need any more help, don't hesitate to ask.
    voidseeker
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: vst midi out? 2005/03/15 11:43:08 (permalink)
    Cool, thanks for your help b.
    Bhunaman
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: vst midi out? 2007/02/18 09:53:55 (permalink)
    Hi I'm also trying to get MIDI Bag plugins working in P5/Sonar. I followed b rocks instruction (Hard Way) but I get the following error message:

Chordator.dll was loaded, but the DllResgisterServer entry point was not found
    This file can not be registered

Am I doing something wrong? Anyone succsefully registered MIDIbag plugins to work within P5?

b rock
    RE: vst midi out? 2007/02/18 10:26:18 (permalink)
    This old post is misleading at best. I'm sorry to report that I've never had much success in P5 with most of TobyBear's excellent offerings.
    I think that this statement from his website is key:
    for hosts that can use VST MIDI plugins or can at least send MIDI events to effect plugins and receive and route VST event data!
    All the better reason to check out an alternative host that does. I could be wrong here, but ... Tracktion? In my mind, it's not necessarily either-or, but whatever accomplishes the task at hand.
    lost sheep
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: vst midi out? 2007/02/18 18:29:05 (permalink)
    I couldn't get Tobybear or any other midi VST to work in P5. You do need an alternative host if that's what you want to use. Did somebody mention... Tracktion?

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1