vst's...Dxi's...HELP!

Author
jdscott
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86
2009/03/18 21:24:13 (permalink)

vst's...Dxi's...HELP!

Hello, again ....
I have been fine the past few years recording my bass, my guitar, and throwing together drums from the session drummer....but now I've gone and done it. I found a cool drums "vst" plug in thing-a-ma-jigger and would like to use it. how, pray-tell, do I do this? When I download the "vst" do I need to send it somewhere special, like into MC4? I thought (usual problem!) that since I just simply downloaded it into my program files MC4 would have found it and included it in the menu for me to "insert". Or am I waaaaay off? am I even close to doing this right? Next, I think the problem will be actually "mapping" it?
Someone please hold my hand and walk me through this. I'm sure everyone else had this figured out eons ago...Ima late bloomer.
thanx....
JD Scott

18 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: vst's...Dxi's...HELP! 2009/03/18 21:36:38 (permalink)
    Is it zipped? if so...unzip it. Move the new unzipped file folder into a handy location in the cakewalk directory... it's a good idea to keep all VST and font files in their own folders in a common VST... FONT folder. this way, you know where it's at for future reference.

Once it's moved to it's new home..... copy/cut/paste... or click and drag....

Open cake and go to the plugin manager..... you want to add this new folder to the list of VST's that cake scans on startup. When this is done.... the new VST should appear in the available list of synths and VST's. You can now add this VST to a track in the FX bin. remember..... synths go into an audio track and you will need to get midi data to it from a midi source track......

I'm curious how it works...... but not that curious that I will install it. I use Jamstix.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: vst's...Dxi's...HELP! 2009/03/18 21:39:56 (permalink)
    Okay, let me see if I can help. First, the downloaded file is probably a compressed file of some type and will need to be unzipped. Some of these things require their own unzipper, but the few I've gotten, Windows unzipped easily.
    Now, when unzipped, make sure you note the location where the file will be installed on your hard drive, the file path. Once that's done, in MC, find the Cakewalk Plug-in Manager under 'Tools'. Near the bottom, click 'VST Configuration', which will bring up a list of file paths for the VST scanner to look in for new VSTs. Enter the location of your new VST, then close that box, and click the 'Scan VST Plug-ins' button. If everything goes right, you should then have that VST available for use.
    But I'm going to keep my fingers crossed, hoping someone who uses this a lot will correct me if I got anything wrong.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: vst's...Dxi's...HELP! 2009/03/18 21:45:14 (permalink)
    Don't worry JD, many of us are catching on to this stuff late.
    The download was most likely a zip file. This is a compact format that allows for easy transport, but it cannot run. You need to extract the file(s) first. Once that is done, run the VST adapter. It is native in MC4, but you still need to run it to identify new VST's in your system. I don't like moving files from their default location, and many VST's will extract to a Steinberg folder.
    Steinberg owns the patent for the VST format. Just include the folder in the list for folders to be searched by the VST adapter.
    When the VST is recognised by the adapter, it is ready for use.
    You can insert any VSTi (VST instrument) by clicking Insert>Soft Synths>[name of VSTi].
    Select MIDI Source Track, First Synth Audio Output, and Synth Properties Page from the dropdown menu.
    You may need to fine tune your input(ie a MIDI controller) but this should be pretty straightforward.
    If you are using a controller, the Input Echo must be turned on (usually by default). If you use the PRV, input is not an issue.
    If that is not clear, or if you have any other questions, ask away.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    57Gregy
    RE: vst's...Dxi's...HELP! 2009/03/18 22:16:03 (permalink)
    On a side note, you only have to scan for VST and VSTi. DX and DXi are native to Cakewalk and should find their own way to the program.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

jdscott
    RE: vst's...Dxi's...HELP! 2009/03/18 22:17:55 (permalink)
    ok...I did all that....and I can't hear anything. but most frustrating to me is the vst i downloaded claims to be triggered via the computer keyboard, which i believe it does not do. i can run my mouse over the "pad" and left click it, and it lights up like it's recognizing it's being "played". when i hit keys randomly on the pc keyboard, nothing on the vst drummer lights up, which leads me to believe it is not really triggered by the pc's keyboard. All I want is to add some drums in real time without having to use a midi keyboard to trigger it...ARGHHH....if i had hair i would be ripping it out. any suggestions on vst's, or whatever to do what i want? or is there such a thing?

Thanx..
    JD Scott
    57Gregy
    RE: vst's...Dxi's...HELP! 2009/03/18 22:24:31 (permalink)
    All I want is to add some drums in real time without having to use a midi keyboard to trigger it

Do you have a MIDI keyboard?
    Did the program come with any set-up instructions, at least a 'Read Me' file?
    What program is it?

Greg 

jdscott
    RE: vst's...Dxi's...HELP! 2009/03/18 22:27:22 (permalink)
    it is called "drumz Akoustik" by DSK. it sounds great. i used it online in a demo and it worked by simply hitting the keys on my pc. No, I do not have a midi keyboard, and with the good ol' economy, I will not have one soon, either.
    57Gregy
    RE: vst's...Dxi's...HELP! 2009/03/18 22:35:59 (permalink)
    Well, in your other post a few days ago, I wondered if such a thing could be used with MC, since almost every key is also a shortcut in MC, and there could be conflicts between a program like this. MC probably reserves the keyboard to use for it's shortcuts. I looked at the help files after reading your previous post, and couldn't find a way to disable the keyboard shortcuts.

Greg 

jdscott
    RE: vst's...Dxi's...HELP! 2009/03/18 22:38:00 (permalink)
    too bad....maybe I'll switch to Frooty Loops...lol
    jdscott
    RE: vst's...Dxi's...HELP! 2009/03/18 22:41:38 (permalink)
    I know cakewalk studio instruments "claims" to be able to use the keyboard on the pc to play drums, but I have not seen that in any of the video tutorials. and its expensive. would hate to purchase it to find out it doesn't work that way. I have figured out a round about way of doing what I want to do, but it involves my other pc as the drums, looping through my studio pc as an audio recording into MC4...what a mess!
    57Gregy
    RE: vst's...Dxi's...HELP! 2009/03/18 23:27:33 (permalink)
    I downloaded that kit and couldn't get it to work, either. I tried clicking the 'Preview' buttons in the GUI, no sound. I played the MIDI keyboard, no sound. Entered notes in the PRV and clicked play, no sound. I have the DSK Strings, and it inserted and played fine in the same project. I don't recall seeing that it can be played with the pc keyboard, and it didn't work for me that way, either. I do recall something on the download page about having to use 2 outputs for it to play. Maybe research that a little more? The documentation isn't very comprehensive.
    The economy being the way it is works both ways; lots of folks are selling stuff, cheap, because they need the cash. Look in the newspaper and check the yard sales. It wouldn't surprise me if you could get a MIDI keyboard for 10 or 20 bucks somewhere. If the keys work (transmit), that might be the ticket out of your dilemma.
    But I know gas and groceries come first.

Greg 

jdscott
    RE: vst's...Dxi's...HELP! 2009/03/18 23:38:33 (permalink)
    Thanx. I'm gonna do some more research on it. I'll keep my eyes open for some yard sales, or hit the goodwill this weekend. Until, then...
    thanx again
    JD Scott
    GreenEyedIrishman
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: vst's...Dxi's...HELP! 2009/03/19 00:47:07 (permalink)
    And check the pawnshops! I saw 4 Yamaha MIDI keybaords in the one close to my office last week. Small to large they were from $25 -$135. The $135 looked really cool, gadgets all over, but I have no clue how to play piano so I'll stick to the staff, tyvm.

On a side note, I noticed on my son's drum kit for the Wii that it has a MIDI out port. I may try jacking that into my 2496 and see what blows up!

Q6600x3.0Ghz, 8GB RAM, M-Audio 2496, Vista64, MC4-64, Xenyx 802, Takamine EF-349, '63 Granada, '65 Granada, '65 EB-4, MD-100S-12, Shure BG 2.0

Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
    Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: vst's...Dxi's...HELP! 2009/03/19 08:09:56 (permalink)
    I've heard that the pawnshops are NOT accepting any more electronic gear...(people pawning due to the economy) so you should be able to get one there really cheap.

Another option...although more expensive ($100-$140) is Jamstix..... get it, and all your drum issues are a thing of the past.

try the demo: www.rayzoon.com even if you don't have the bucks now..... if you like JS...start saving.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    57Gregy
    RE: vst's...Dxi's...HELP! 2009/03/19 11:21:09 (permalink)
    Well since he wants to play the drums in real time, jamstix doesn't offer any more than what he already has to play. He wants his fingers on the sticks, so to speak. There's only 1 cursor, right? Or can it be played with the pc keyboard?

Greg 

jdscott
    RE: vst's...Dxi's...HELP! 2009/03/19 22:35:42 (permalink)
    This is in response to greeneyed irishman...if you are talking of the wii guitar hero drum kit, that is midi "in". don't know why they would put an input on it for...but the rockband drumkit for wii is usb...and here lies the problem I have been trying to figure around. this may sound completley wacko, and you will call me crazy or foolish, or even "unprofessional" ( I never claimed to be anything of the sort!) but I stumbled on a cool little mod for the kit. plug it into your usb on your pc, download drumsite's free demo. your pc will recognize the wii drumkit as a game controller. then download joy to key, which maps pc keyboard commands to your wii drumkit. so instead of hitting the key board, you assign each drum sound to whatever colored little pad suits you, and viola! a cheap and not too bad drumkit! what I have been trying to do is record the drumkit in MC4....but I can't do it....I was this close to having a cheap way to physically play along in realtime to my original recordings, without breaking the bank!
    anywho....
    Thanx again to all,
    JD Scott
    GreenEyedIrishman
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: vst's...Dxi's...HELP! 2009/03/20 00:50:29 (permalink)
    I think that MIDI in is what goes to the computer, and MIDI out is what would be returned from there on a regular MIDI keyboard. I haven't bought a MIDI cable yet so haven't tried it, but it would make more sense that it would be sending signals out from the kit as MIDI, as opposed to receiving MIDI from somewhere.

Edit: Did some checking, and the MIDI port on the Wii kit is "supposed" to swing both ways. Either to hook up a MIDI kit to the Wii kit to play (waaaaay too much work for a gam in my opinion ) or to link to the computer for MIDI input for tracks. Of course, anyone who has been using the MIDI port are pretty much only doing it to cheat the game (write the 6 output MIDI track for the song on your Roland and jack it in, record it, put it on YouTube and Voila! You can beat expert level at 100% everytime, you must be a Deity!) Would be kinda fun to play around with using it as a MIDI for MC4 though, I still might try it for S's & G's.
    post edited by GreenEyedIrishman - 2009/03/20 01:14:41

Q6600x3.0Ghz, 8GB RAM, M-Audio 2496, Vista64, MC4-64, Xenyx 802, Takamine EF-349, '63 Granada, '65 Granada, '65 EB-4, MD-100S-12, Shure BG 2.0

Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
    Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    Wood67
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1348
    RE: vst's...Dxi's...HELP! 2009/03/24 07:48:03 (permalink)
    MIDI IN: Recives midi data to wherever the port is located (eg, on the soundcard)
    MIDI OUT: Sends midi data from that port.
    MIDI THRU: Allows you to daisy chain more than one keyboard (those were the days!)

If you are only using the kb as a trigger for recording you need to connect the MIDI OUT from the kb to the MIDI IN of your souncard/interface. If you want to hear the kb sounds subsequently you'll need another lead for the other two ports.

Wood

Studio One 3 Pro, (Sonar Platinum), Intel i7, Win10 Pro, 32Gb ram, RME Babyface Pro, Behringer X-Touch, Presonus Faderport, Akai MPK49, Arturia KeyLab25, KRK Rokit 5 monitors, and other sonic surprises.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1