way OT: Firewall Woes

Author
wrench45us
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4991
2005/06/10 09:18:08 (permalink)

way OT: Firewall Woes

after 40 hours w/o power folowing a night of severe storms, power was restored last night at my house. so after cleaning the refriogerator an dfrezer I sat down at my computer to go back online and had some problems.

I have a free subscription provided by my ISP to Computer Associates EZ Firewall etc.
That Firewall didn't allow any access to the web. I get a vinmon fault and breakdown of TrueVector (I have no idea what that really means).

On reboot, if I turn that Firewall off and use the Microsoft provided one, web access is fine. The EZ Firewall etc. was recently upgraded but worked before the power outage. I d/led and installed a fresh version and also ran a full virus scan and got the same results.

I'm on a wireless network in my house, so I'm not sure there's much point in having a Firewall anyway. One thing that did change recently was working with an ftp site I had to switch Passive access ftp (or such) off. This occurred to me once I went to bed -- so I didn't try switching that back -- but even then that was also working before the power outage.

I also upgraded to 1 gig of Ram and given some glitches I've seen now and then I'm also suspicious a little of whether or not that RAM is behaving. I'll run the SandraSI benchmark or such on that this weekend.

So can someone educate me on what might be going on and how badly I need for this to work in any case. Thanks.

16 Replies Related Threads

Jim Wright
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1218
    RE: way OT: Firewall Woes 2005/06/10 13:03:41 (permalink)
    ??? It sounds like maybe some bits got scrambled -- possibly in CMOS RAM (I'm not sure where EZ Firewall keeps its TrueVector state information, or what it checks against, so this is pretty feeble speculation on my part...)

I usually recommend the ZoneAlarm firewall. ZoneLabs has a free (non-business use) version that contains the firewall only (not various extras, some of which are useful if you want to pay for them).

You may want to uninstall the firewall that's misbehaving, and try ZoneAlarm instead. If the problem is just some scrambled bits in EZ Firewall saved state -- or whatever -- then installing a completely different firewall should resolve the problem. (Of course, if something else in your system got scrambled...... I hope you have a good backup; if not, you should probably make one asap.)

The free download link for ZoneAlarm is: http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp

FWIW, I power my computer and music gear using a "Brick Wall" Series Mode Surge Filter -- the "High-End Audio" version.
    A few years back, I did some research into powerline surges and decided the standard MOV surge protectors were not terribly bulletproof -- I also had some persistent AC hum issues. I bought the 8-outlet PW8R15AUD version, my hum problems disappeared, and the noise floor seemed to improve (as best I could tell) -- apparently as a result of getting rid of some low-level electrical garbage. It was a tad pricey, but results have been very satisfactory. (We also have a whole-house surge protector, and a separate surge-protector for the home theatre gear, but those are the conventional varieties, not the 'series-mode' kind).

- Jim
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: way OT: Firewall Woes 2005/06/10 13:18:58 (permalink)
    Geez, I looked at those brickwall protection units years ago...are they still around? I thought those seemed to be an excellent product. Wonder what their website is...
    techead
    RE: way OT: Firewall Woes 2005/06/10 13:21:49 (permalink)
    I really don't like personal firewalls on personal computers (with the exception of the Windows firewall because it is not real intrusive the way some others are). My preference is to run a dedicated firewall on a separate box using a network to connect other machines to it.

In my case at home I am using "dialup" (I know, don't laugh--I even work for an ISP and a network consultancy) so I built a FreeBSD firewall that dials out to the Internet. I am also running a caching HTTP proxy on it so all the computers at my home benefit from a common cache to make the dialup seem way faster than it really is.
    wrench45us
    RE: way OT: Firewall Woes 2005/06/10 13:35:42 (permalink)

there were definitely some power surges as I have a pretty good indicator:
    if the ceiling fan in the bedroom is on (and it usually is in weather that spawns wee hour thunderstorms) the attached lights come full on.
    quite an experience from a dead sleep to about 200 watts of light. that happened twice that night and shortly after the 2nd time there were two loud pops, which we've learned are the pole transformers tripping their breakers
    i've replaced the flex circuit on the ceiling fan about 3 times since a really good spike can fry it. must be an interesting circuit -- too bad they can't build in some protection -- but sas someone at work pointed out there is protection from surges when the circuitry itself fuses.

one odd thing that the Zone Alarm mention reminded me of. When this True Vector issue happened the first time a web page came up that had intsructions for recovering AS IF i had Zone Alarm installed. and i know it's not.

sluggo
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: way OT: Firewall Woes 2005/06/10 13:50:01 (permalink)
    I don't use a firewall installed on my daw. For $30 or so you can get a router with a built-in firewall. Just plug your daw into one of these puppies and you're set. If you already have a wireless router, it probably has a firewall built into it. Just how much protection does a normal guy need from hackers? I don't think too much. No offense to you Wrench, but why would someone want to spend their spare time trying to break past a hardware firewall to get into your computer, I doubt the results would be that interesting for the hacker.

s
    jackn2mpu
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2765
    RE: way OT: Firewall Woes 2005/06/10 14:03:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: sluggo

I don't use a firewall installed on my daw. For $30 or so you can get a router with a built-in firewall. Just plug your daw into one of these puppies and you're set. If you already have a wireless router, it probably has a firewall built into it. Just how much protection does a normal guy need from hackers? I don't think too much. No offense to you Wrench, but why would someone want to spend their spare time trying to break past a hardware firewall to get into your computer, I doubt the results would be that interesting for the hacker.

s

Routers aren't available for those of us on dial-up, only broadband. Been there, researched that a year ago.

Jack
    Qapla!
    techead
    RE: way OT: Firewall Woes 2005/06/10 14:36:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jackn2mpu
    Routers aren't available for those of us on dial-up, only broadband. Been there, researched that a year ago.

Multitech has a nice little dialup router that will do it--I've seen this one in use--works well.
    http://www.multitech.com/PRODUCTS/Families/RouteFinder_102/

But as I mentioned before, I prefer to roll-my-own using OpenBSD or FreeBSD on an old machine and use an http proxy with it. I don't have any money tied up in my "hardware" firewall because the parts were all gimmes and the OS is free.
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: way OT: Firewall Woes 2005/06/10 15:39:33 (permalink)
    ..... but why would someone want to spend their spare time trying to break past a hardware firewall to get into your computer, I doubt the results would be that interesting for the hacker.

i agree why? but i get in excess of 500 unauthorized packets a day. many from asia many within the usa. all appear to be running programs that randomly look for the local port. maybe they could be unkilled packets left in some kinda un-dead limbo forever to travel the ether web.
    post edited by rabeach - 2005/06/10 15:42:53
    techead
    RE: way OT: Firewall Woes 2005/06/10 16:14:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: sluggo
    Just how much protection does a normal guy need from hackers? I don't think too much. No offense to you Wrench, but why would someone want to spend their spare time trying to break past a hardware firewall to get into your computer, I doubt the results would be that interesting for the hacker.

Don't think of it in terms of a hacker trying to get at your stuff. These bad guys aren't sitting there trying to break into your home computer. They are running automated programs on remote machines. These automated programs are designed to search entire Internet domains or IP blocks for "vulnerable" machines. They then attempt to "own" the vulnerable machine so they can use its computing/networking resources to do distributed denial of service attacks and other biddings.

It is more about being able to turn your computer into their zombie and it is all highly automated. They could care less about Wrench.
    wrench45us
    RE: way OT: Firewall Woes 2005/06/10 16:34:49 (permalink)
    No offense to you Wrench, but why would someone want to spend their spare time trying to break past a hardware firewall to get into your computer, I doubt the results would be that interesting for the hacker.

that was something i suspected and wanted clarification on
    i use this Computer Associates Pest Control because it comes as a package with e-mail spam control, anti-virus, spyware, etc etc. (Thus turning every user into their own IS dept.)
    The Firewall has created more problems than its ever solved I'm sure since I've had to disable it a number of times to upload and download from ftp sites.

I am a bit concerned if it might be a CMOS problem.

Jim Wright
    RE: way OT: Firewall Woes 2005/06/11 11:43:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: techead

Geez, I looked at those brickwall protection units years ago...are they still around? I thought those seemed to be an excellent product. Wonder what their website is...

My bad: I thought I'd included the links.
    They have two sites: http://www.brickwall.com and http://www.pricewheeler.com
    The pricewheeler.com site is the one that carries the lower-noise audiophile products

I won't say I love mine --- it's a black metal block with outlets on it, after all. Hey, at least it's black!
    But I've been very pleased with it.

- Jim
    Jim Wright
    RE: way OT: Firewall Woes 2005/06/11 11:58:56 (permalink)
    Wrench -

(Next morning, after some coffee). I believe I got the EZ package for my wife's new machine (A little Sempron box, replacing a K6-350 box around 5 years old that finally died...). I haven't been impressed with it, despite the all-in-one nature.

What techead said about zombie-fying computers is, unfortuately, absolutely true. Think seti@home, or the newer folding@home project: both use "spare cycles" on many, many, many computers to work on big problems -- but these computers are all volunteered by their owners. The recent 'hackbot@home' stealth projects find vulnerable PCs, take over their spare 'background cycles', and go to town. Guess where all that spam is coming from ! Could be your very own PC, if it's been infested. Plus, denial-of-service attacks, using your PC as a "safehouse" waystation for cracking sensitive sites ... there are lots of nefarious things that can be done with a 'subverted' PC, and the owner may never find out until he or she hears that knock on the door from the net police.....

I use a router with a firewall, but also run firewalls on individual PCs. I have a home LAN (both wired and wireless), and my daughters (and wife, sometimes) develop infestations on their systesm, which I don't want spreading to mine. Also, my employer requires 'personal firewalls' on any machine directly connected to their intranet (and checks for them regularly). (Regarding wireless -- I run WEP with 128 bit encryption and also restrict access to the known MAC addreses of the family PCs. That doesn't prevent eavesdropping -- WEP is crackable -- but keeps 'foreigners' from using my net unless they're pretty adept at spoofing MACs. Hmm. Maybe it's time to look into Win XP wireless security, which I've heard is better than WEP... not sure if it's available for XP Home, which is running on one machine...)

Waaaaaaay OT, but what the heck --

Jim
    wrench45us
    RE: way OT: Firewall Woes 2005/06/11 14:11:05 (permalink)

i installed Zone Alarm last night and by its interface I'd say Computer Associates has licensed Zone Alarm and repackaged it as EZ Firewall, but the good news is everything works again.
    i will say the CA spam filter is much more effective and intelligent than what passes for one where i work, but that may not be saying much at all

and the Microsoft Anti-Spyware acquired from Giant seems to be very effective and inobtrusive

techead
    RE: way OT: Firewall Woes 2005/06/11 17:24:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wrench45us
    i installed Zone Alarm last night and by its interface I'd say Computer Associates has licensed Zone Alarm and repackaged it as EZ Firewall

This is exactly true...they licensed ZoneAlarm's engine, or they may have stake in the company. I found the same thing when I had to remove a non-functioning EZ Firewall from a couple of computers for a doctor's office a few months ago. They had "uninstalled" it but it did not go quietly nor completely. I had to follow a set of manual "uninstall" instructions from ZoneLabs to finally get EZ Firewall out of the system.

-Techead
    techead
    RE: way OT: Firewall Woes 2005/06/11 17:30:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jim Wright
    (Regarding wireless -- I run WEP with 128 bit encryption and also restrict access to the known MAC addreses of the family PCs. That doesn't prevent eavesdropping -- WEP is crackable -- but keeps 'foreigners' from using my net unless they're pretty adept at spoofing MACs. Hmm. Maybe it's time to look into Win XP wireless security, which I've heard is better than WEP... not sure if it's available for XP Home, which is running on one machine...)

All 'tis true...

I'm running old wep on wireless at home, too. Newer wireless security in new devices is much safer. I don't worry about it at home, though, because I live on a farm in the glorious flat wide open county in west central Illinois and since I have no external antenna on my equipment you'd have to park on my front porch to receive signal enough to get a useful connection to crack my wep.
    wrench45us
    RE: way OT: Firewall Woes 2005/06/11 20:15:28 (permalink)
    They had "uninstalled" it but it did not go quietly nor completely. I had to follow a set of manual "uninstall" instructions from ZoneLabs to finally get EZ Firewall out of the system.

This would also explain why I got a Zone Alarm web site coming up with recovery instructions when True Vector failed.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1