what VST is the most recommended for vocals,(will like your setting for Eq too)

Author
josegon214
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2009/10/12 09:08:55 (permalink)

what VST is the most recommended for vocals,(will like your setting for Eq too)

i need help setting up Eq for my vocals, i do rap music, and im having hard time eqing vocals.
i will like people to post there setting for there vocal (i know it will be the same with mine but im willing to give it a try and start from there) other then that. what VST is recommended for vocals. i also only do 1 vocal track.

17 Replies Related Threads

DW_Mike
    Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6907
    Re:what VST is the most recommended for vocals,(will like your setting for Eq too) 2009/10/12 09:25:04 (permalink)
    I have never used the same EQ'ing on a vocal or any other track. 
    Even when I record a band thats doing 3 or 4 songs, I EQ to the song at hand.
    The only thing that I pretty much do for most tracks is to roll off the lows. But I cant even tell you from where or how much or even how steep a curve, Sorry.

Here's a little reading that may help you on your way. 

Beagle Sound Productions.

Mike

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
    GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
    Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
    Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
    Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    josegon214
    Re:what VST is the most recommended for vocals,(will like your setting for Eq too) 2009/10/12 09:30:07 (permalink)
    what hz do you roll off. my vocal are too bassy
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:what VST is the most recommended for vocals,(will like your setting for Eq too) 2009/10/12 09:46:47 (permalink)
    Well, if you know they're too bass heavy - just shove a HPF on the track, set your Q to 1 octave (1.4 on the Sonnitus) then sweep the thing up & down until you find the sweet spot.

i.e. the spot at which you've gotten rid of the mud at the bottom, but you haven't encroached into the area you want to keep.

This part of EQ'ing is really, really simple.

But just like Mike, - every track I've ever EQ'd has been done slightly differently to the last one - even with the same vocalist in the same room with the same mic.

You mix it to suit the song
    post edited by Bristol_Jonesey - 2009/10/12 09:53:02

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    Re:what VST is the most recommended for vocals,(will like your setting for Eq too) 2009/10/12 12:31:13 (permalink)
    I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like the OP isn't getting a mix that translates well.  If you are mixing and then taking your completed mix to your car or elsewhere and it just doesn't sound the same that could be a that your mixing environment needs tweaked.  It could simply be that you need to position your monitors equidistant from the side walls or it could mean that you need to treat the room acoustically.

Again, I could be wrong, but just reading the questions/comments that is what it is sounding like to me.

Tom 

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    Re:what VST is the most recommended for vocals,(will like your setting for Eq too) 2009/10/12 12:37:22 (permalink)
    Liquid Mix's 737 as well as SSL emulations works well on rap lots of times. Also the T-Racks classic EQ can sound great. For something free try Bootsy's plugs as well as Leftover Lasagnas free Pushtec.

As previous posters have said it depends a lot on what you'r working with though as well as what sound you are after. Also remember that different compressors color the sound as well and ad subtle and musical distortion, sometimes it's not that you need EQ, sometimes a different compressor or some subtle tube/tape saturation can make all the difference.

With rap I often roll off the lows somewhere between 40-80 hz, compensate that by a small boost around 100-250. Subtract some boxyness that's usually around 300-450 and than ad a little aroudn 1,5-3 khz or 5 khz depending on what the vox need. This is what I usually will have to do BUT it's nothing that always will be what the doctor will prescribe, different situations demand different solutions even though I often find it to be a good starting point.

Do you have your music and rap anywhere we can listen? It's always easier to answer when we know what we're talking about.

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    MarlboroMan23
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    Re:what VST is the most recommended for vocals,(will like your setting for Eq too) 2009/10/12 23:39:52 (permalink)
    If you have one of the recent Sonar Producer Editions use the Vintage Channel 64 (VC-64).  Open it up and open up the VC-64 help file.  Go through the vocal presets and follow the steps in the help file about tailoring each preset to your needs.  VC-64 also has compression and instructions in the help file on how to set it up too.  The Fat Vocal setting is usually my goto for vocals after some tweaking.

most authors of novels regarded as classics are dead, classic novels are, therefore, most likely to be written by dead people.
    http://www.soundclick.com/opaquesounds
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:what VST is the most recommended for vocals,(will like your setting for Eq too) 2009/10/14 17:20:40 (permalink)
    to bassey..... try a roll off at 100hz..... experiment with it move the set point up and down, vary the slope  ....DB per octave..... with the bass guitar or synth and kick drum holding down the low end..... the vox should sit nicely in the mix with the lows rolled off.

I have used Ozone 3 with a customized setting for vocal EQ..... however, that will change from song to song.....even though it's my voice, in the same room, with the same mic... the EQ needs differ with each song.... so you can use the preset as a starting point.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:what VST is the most recommended for vocals,(will like your setting for Eq too) 2009/10/14 18:28:31 (permalink)
    Let your ears tell you what your vocals need. If your asking what effect is good for vocals, all effects can be good for vocals. It depends on what your going for.
    I would say, learn all about EQ and complementary Eqing techniques  and learn about dynamic controlled processing, like compressors. I would also say look into reverbs and delays for vocal placement.
    When you learn the basics about these things, you can just grab the tools you need with no guess work.
    Right now your tweaking blind and this is not good. knowledge is your friend when it comes to recording and mixing

I use sometihng different for every songe vocal track, so me putting my effetcs chain in here would take a week or so and would do you no good.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Rodar6
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 891
    Re:what VST is the most recommended for vocals,(will like your setting for Eq too) 2009/10/14 18:49:47 (permalink)
    Hey Josegon214,

You say your having a hard time EQ'ing your vocal.

Well I'd take a step back and look at how your recording your vocal in the first instance.

What environemnt are you recording in? Have you set up a recording space with suitable acoustics? What mic are you using? Waht distance are you from the mic? Are you using a pop shield? etc

Getting the above right should make EQ'ing less effortful.

If you feel that something is not right or you don't like the sound of it, I always try to go back to the start and iron out the probs there! 

Hope this helps   

Rod

"Expert in novice advice"  

Sonar PE 8.5.1 (pre -5,6,7,8) - Logic Pro Studio 9.1.6 - Windows 7 32bit - Mac OSX Snow Leopard - MacBook Pro 13" i7Core 2.7GHz Sandy Bridge, 8Gb Ram, Intel 520 SSD - Edirol UA-25 - Blue Woodpecker Ribbon - Rode NT5 Condenser - Shure SM57 --- Fender 52 AVRI Telecaster LH - Ovation Special Balladeer LH.     
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:what VST is the most recommended for vocals,(will like your setting for Eq too) 2009/10/14 19:46:24 (permalink)
    josegon214

i need help setting up Eq for my vocals, i do rap music, and im having hard time eqing vocals.
    i will like people to post there setting for there vocal (i know it will be the same with mine but im willing to give it a try and start from there) other then that. what VST is recommended for vocals. i also only do 1 vocal track.

Though I'm not into rap, rap is filled with explosive bursts of voice. Impossible to EQ. Train your "rappers" to use a Microphone. Expression changes when faced with a mechanical absolute. A Mic can only handle so much before EQ is useless.

Craig DuBuc
    jackn2mpu
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2765
    Re:what VST is the most recommended for vocals,(will like your setting for Eq too) 2009/10/15 06:52:58 (permalink)
    Crg

josegon214

Though I'm not into rap, rap is filled with explosive bursts of voice. Impossible to EQ. Train your "rappers" to use a Microphone. Expression changes when faced with a mechanical absolute. A Mic can only handle so much before EQ is useless.

OP didn't say what mic or type of mic he's using. I wonder if something like an SM58 would help? Seems to be a staple stage mic and I would think for rap you'd want something like a dynamic mic and not a large diaphragm condenser mic.

Jack
    Qapla!
    Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    Re:what VST is the most recommended for vocals,(will like your setting for Eq too) 2009/10/15 13:05:22 (permalink)
    An SM58 can work very well for that rough and rugged street style feel, I still use one at times. Very important if you combine rappers with dynamic mics (like the Shure) though is this: DON'T LET THE RAPPER EAT THE MICROPHONE! Many rappers that don't have much experience almost swallow the mic, which will result in a very bass heavy, plosive and bad sound. One thing I've often done is to tell them to hold it like a gat (pistol, sideways) but with the thumb out almost at the cheek, this will put the mic one or two inches away from the mouth as well as a little off axis to get rid of the worst plosives. I think condensers are the best for rap as well though, I love my Sontronics tube mic From what I've heard Dre uses a Sony C800-G (as well as many other rap/hiphop producers).

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    CJaysMusic
    Re:what VST is the most recommended for vocals,(will like your setting for Eq too) 2009/10/15 17:06:30 (permalink)
    Many rappers that don't have much experience almost swallow the mic,

If i record a rapper, im giving him vocal recording 101 lessons first. or he's using his own mic...LOL
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    josegon214
    Re:what VST is the most recommended for vocals,(will like your setting for Eq too) 2009/10/16 09:31:53 (permalink)
    i meant to say
    ( know it will be the same with mine but im willing to give it a try and start from therei)
    CJaysMusic
    Re:what VST is the most recommended for vocals,(will like your setting for Eq too) 2009/10/16 17:02:54 (permalink)
    know it will be the same with mine but im willing to give it a try and start from there)

That's like me using Brittney spears vocal settings on my vocals. It just wont work. you just need to learn how to use and adust effects to get the most out of your vocals.
    like i said earlier,
    Learn complimentary EQ techniques
    Learn about dynamic controlled processes, like compressors and limiters
    Learn vocal techniques.
    There is a wealth of info at your finger tips and at book stores. Take the initiative and learn the tools you have and learn. Cause like i sad before, every vocal take is different.
    Cj

Audio Blog
    dontletmedrown
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1722
    Re:what VST is the most recommended for vocals,(will like your setting for Eq too) 2009/10/16 20:27:46 (permalink)
    If I'm recording a really good singer, I can go without any VSTs whatsoever.

Think of it like this... you're not (necessarily) using EQ to make your track sound better, you are EQing it to FIT with the other tracks.  Like others have said, it will usually be different for every song, and sometimes it even needs to change in different sections of a song.  The best vocalists can get by with ZERO processing.  There are some talented motherFers out there that have amazing control over their timbre and dynamics.  It's good to know how to repair bad tracks, but if you're a serious vocalist, the time is better spent practicing your energy, dynamics, and your mic/proximity technique.

Having said that... 

I rarely record a vocal take without the following:
    -2 Pop filters in series
    -1073 EQ hi-passed at 80hz
    -Distressor set to fast attack
    u2bonoman
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re:what VST is the most recommended for vocals,(will like your setting for Eq too) 2009/10/18 10:35:55 (permalink)
    What is your vocal chain? Mic? Pre?

I really like the Shure SM7 and Great River MP1NV combination. If you can't afford the Great River, look at the GAP Pre-73. It's on the very cheap side, but sounds pretty dang good.

As far as plugins go, you should look into the Waves SSL collection. The E-Channel ROCKS. Or in your case hip-hops. It's got a killer EQ section, very musical. And some killer compression right there too. Plus, it has this neat little analog button to give you a little saturation.

If the price isn't right, I'd look into URS plugs. Oh, and there is a GREAT cheap VST out there called The Rocket, made by Stillwell. Everyone should have that in his/her arsenal.

Good luck!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1