what happened to GPO for Dim Pro?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
lawapa
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1144
RE: what happened to GPO for Dim Pro? 2006/12/17 10:45:29 (permalink)
I wondered as much. There are alternatives outside the rompler/closed end types of sets. This might be why Garritan did not port out the full set for Dpro The closed end nature of this protects his product to some degree. While the sound itself could be sampled out the programing could not. Because the sound can be sampled out manipulation through sfz is possible but time consuming. I would not say worth the effort just the long way around.
Monkey
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: what happened to GPO for Dim Pro? 2007/01/07 00:31:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wrench45us
wasn't this supposed to be arriving about now?

The fact that GTO was supposed to become available for Dimpro was a deciding factor in me buying it, along with Cakewalk's renowned reliability.

I am however, a very unhappy customer now that there is no news on the GTO front. Hopefully Cakewalk can correct this mess, and not with more new freebie patches!
VaporCom
  • Total Posts : 169
RE: what happened to GPO for Dim Pro? 2007/01/08 11:48:20 (permalink)
Thanks to my experience with Native Instruments...... I would never again buy any software/hardware (KORE) based on future plans. It seems like they just move on to something else that can make money, and get around to fixing bugs, or doing what its supposed to when they have a free moment. I have never had this problem with Cake, but thanks to my hard lesson learned, I know I never will.
xylyx
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2505
RE: what happened to GPO for Dim Pro? 2007/01/08 15:52:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Monkey

The fact that GTO was supposed to become available for Dimpro was a deciding factor in me buying it, along with Cakewalk's renowned reliability.

I am however, a very unhappy customer now that there is no news on the GTO front. Hopefully Cakewalk can correct this mess, and not with more new freebie patches!

Cakewalk can't do anything. GPO is not their product, it is Gary Garritan's and if he changed his mind about releasing a DP version of it, then Cakewalk cannot do anything about this. Buying a product on the basis that a third party soundset is potentially going to become available is risky, as there is always a decent chance it might not happen. The press release didn't say it would definitely happen, just that it is expected to happen:

Future libraries, including Jazz & Big Band and the complete Garritan Personal Orchestra are expected to be released in 2006.

Obviously, expectations haven't been met and getting annoyed with Cakewalk is not going to change anything, as you are directing your ire in the wrong direction.
Monkey
RE: what happened to GPO for Dim Pro? 2007/01/08 20:08:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: xylyx

Cakewalk can't do anything. GPO is not their product, it is Gary Garritan's and if he changed his mind about releasing a DP version of it, then Cakewalk cannot do anything about this. Buying a product on the basis that a third party soundset is potentially going to become available is risky, as there is always a decent chance it might not happen. The press release didn't say it would definitely happen, just that it is expected to happen:

Future libraries, including Jazz & Big Band and the complete Garritan Personal Orchestra are expected to be released in 2006.

Obviously, expectations haven't been met and getting annoyed with Cakewalk is not going to change anything, as you are directing your ire in the wrong direction.

Yeah, well I don't know that I agree with you on that one. I don't really care what Gary Garritan said or didn't say. I read about it on the Cakewalk website, not the Garritan website.
As well, when the statement reads "future libraries... are expected to be released in 2006", I think what is not 'certain to be expected' is WHEN, not IF! And I didn't buy it solely for the GTO inclusion, I just said it was a deciding factor over other options.

lawapa
RE: what happened to GPO for Dim Pro? 2007/01/08 20:49:46 (permalink)
Choice, Lib's abound and conversion software takes the sting out of the switch. Awave is what I use and could not do without. I avoid closed end sets because there is more than enough available that can be accessed. GPO is nice and very affordable as a kontakt instrument. But so are many open ended sets that afford you choices.

I would consider a port to Dpro/SFZ from Garritan. But I feel no loss if it never happens.

Most of GPO is already in Dpro and whats not there is covered by Cakewalk as good or better.
marce
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 237
RE: what happened to GPO for Dim Pro? 2007/01/09 13:30:37 (permalink)
In the Garritan website there is an announce about a new sampler for GPO and their librarys. So, if anyone is unhappy with kontakt player, maybe are good news.
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
RE: what happened to GPO for Dim Pro? 2007/01/09 17:08:13 (permalink)
All I see is a new Concert Band Sampler coming still with Kontact 2

I'm hoping Cakewalk comes up with there own killer Sampler. From the Book Cakewalk Synth's, Simon Cann talks to Rene and hints at more to come I hope it is true and announce in 9 days at NAMM

Ed
marce
RE: what happened to GPO for Dim Pro? 2007/01/09 17:41:55 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: InstrEd

All I see is a new Concert Band Sampler coming still with Kontact 2

I'm hoping Cakewalk comes up with there own killer Sampler. From the Book Cakewalk Synth's, Simon Cann talks to Rene and hints at more to come I hope it is true and announce in 9 days at NAMM

Ed

Read about it here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50927
xylyx
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2505
RE: what happened to GPO for Dim Pro? 2007/01/09 17:45:37 (permalink)
I think any new sampler would struggle to break into the market now...between Kontakt, Gigastudio/sampler and Halion, there is little room to exploit; look at MOTU's Mach Five, which had very good reviews when released, yet it doesn't seem to have made any mass market impact. Besides, what would a new sampler from Cakewalk offer that Dimension doesn't? The only thing I can see, is the ability to map the samples graphically, but this functionality would be better added to Dimension (or provided as an additional tool to Dimension), rather than trying to add another new plugin to the portfolio...that's my view, anyway.
marce
RE: what happened to GPO for Dim Pro? 2007/01/09 18:26:42 (permalink)
I believe that the new sampler from Garritan is more related to the need to dont be "slaved" of Native Instruments for updates (some of their products have been waiting long time because this reason.

BTW, does Dimension Pro support any kind of scripting like Kontakt does?
lawapa
RE: what happened to GPO for Dim Pro? 2007/01/09 20:24:30 (permalink)
The only thing I can see, is the ability to map the samples graphically

Well, Yes, that's true but if you dig a tad down SFZ can be like an audio editor. While this might not be so apparent on the surface it is possible. Mapping samples with layers is just the tip of the iceberg.

All those other samplers don't have the Dpro engine. Those that just do patches/progs would not appreciate just what that means and how it limits your possibilities. This list of features no one else has is so over the top that it makes everything else obsolete IMHO. But that's just me.
LionSound
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3616
RE: what happened to GPO for Dim Pro? 2007/01/09 23:53:48 (permalink)
While SFZ does seem very deep, it looks more like programming in that you do everything in a text file editor. I just can't think/ work that way. I'd love to see an enhanced Dimension with a graphical interface of sample mapping, layering etc. like Kontakt. That would be awesome, especially if it could import Kontakt format samples. But the mapping thing would be awesome, especially if it were drag and drop from Sonar and other hosts.

www.soundclick.com/lionsound

FirstStrike 1.2 IS RELEASED! www.fsmod.com
lawapa
RE: what happened to GPO for Dim Pro? 2007/01/10 20:20:05 (permalink)
While SFZ does seem very deep, it looks more like programming in that you do everything in a text file editor. I just can't think/ work that way.

OK I do understand, I started out wanting a gui. But by keeping at it , it gets easier. I was using Soundforge/Awave to build soundfonts. SFZ is just little tricky, But after some experiments it got easier.
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
RE: what happened to GPO for Dim Pro? 2007/01/12 14:43:45 (permalink)
here's an idea - Çake doesn't have an audio editor like SF etc. Nice way to combine SFZ editing and audio all in one package.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
lawapa
RE: what happened to GPO for Dim Pro? 2007/01/12 15:42:46 (permalink)
Nice way to combine SFZ editing and audio all in one

SoundForge Is killer in that combo. As well Awave can directly convert from many formats to sfz. If you buy only open ended formats then conversion is a snap. Support open formats and you've got a setup that gives you any set you desire. Add in D pro and For me anyway you've got the most kickin setup possible. It's almost to good to be true.
Monkey
RE: what happened to GPO for Dim Pro? 2007/02/20 21:45:19 (permalink)

Are we ever going to get an answer on this one?
pjl
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 796
RE: what happened to GPO for Dim Pro? 2007/02/21 00:02:29 (permalink)

Are we ever going to get an answer on this one?

Have you asked on the Garritan forum? That's the only place where they can answer this question with any authority (if they choose to do so).

Also, a while ago on this forum Rene listed the differences between the version of GPO in DimPro and the full version and I remember being very surprised at how little was missing. I thought at the time that if that was all there was to it I doubt that buying the full GPO would be worth it. Search through the archives for that message and see what you think.

Celebrate reason, sleep in on Sundays
Monkey
RE: what happened to GPO for Dim Pro? 2007/02/23 10:13:25 (permalink)
thanks. That's good to know. Now of they could only come out with a GBBPO!! (Garritan Big Band Pocket Orchestra)
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1