where is the new cakewalk supersynth...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Trusty
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 590
RE: where is the new cakewalk supersynth... 2008/03/11 20:27:45 (permalink)
While you all are on the subject, I am wondering if there is anything I am missing by NOT having a dedicated FM synth. I mean, I have FM capabilities in things like z3ta+, PSYN II, Synthmaster, and of course, Reaktor has some FM ensembles in it that I use on occasion, but is there anything to having a full-fledged, dedicated FM synth that can create sounds I am lacking from my current collection that includes everything Cakewalk (except Square I and the sfz+), and a few other non-FM stuff like PHOSCYON, Retro-GS, Microtonic, and Intakt (a sampler).
ew
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1837
RE: where is the new cakewalk supersynth... 2008/03/11 20:41:17 (permalink)
The closest you'll get to Yamaha-style "FM" using Reaktor is FM4. What Yamaha (and NI, in this case and in the case of FM8) and most people here are calling FM isn't really frequency modulation; it's phase modulation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency_modulation_synthesis
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_modulation

The results are pretty much the same, though.

What will you get? More efficiency for one thing; FM8 uses 1/2% of one core per voice on my 4600x2- 16 voices runs about 8% (or less, depending on). If the app's specifically coded to use FM/PM as its main synthesis method, it can be optimized for that application better than a do all synth can. Plus, if you're talking Yamaha style; the algorithms make possible routings of carriers and modulators that's impossible with synths that use FM as an extra feature.

ew

post edited by ew - 2008/03/11 20:46:29
ckatrun411
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 81
RE: where is the new cakewalk supersynth... 2008/03/11 20:53:29 (permalink)
do you like FM synthesis? If you like it so much that you feel you need a dedicated FM synth, than the new Biohazzard is a fantastic machine. I like FM synthesis, and then when I demo'd biohazzard I said to myself... hmmm, well.... Do I like this enough to spend the time it will take to learn inside and out?

I mean, its software, its not hardware, its not 250 thousand dollars for a massive studio with a lot of toys, its 2500 dollars, and you will have more synths than you have time in your life to learn.

For example... Reaktor, Vaz, Tera, and oh lets just say Reason 4..... would you need another synth?

Maybe I am just a synthesis know nothing, but really, every time I open Rapture, I am just... WTF? I can do this? OMG? listen to the way the envelope can do this!!!

I like wavetable. This is by far my favorite type of synthesis. BUT!!! beyond that, I like to have FM capability. For example, when using Tera, I rarely use the FM module alone, but I am always dialing in FM setting on the main Module...

This is good for my workflow, great for my sounds...

but, I really, at this point, can blink, and program Tera 3.. Its a time investment. I put a lot of time into her, and I am getting good results. That is why I am waiting for the new Cakewalk. I plan to put a lot of time into the new synth when they release it...

Ok, am I 100% going to by it. nope, not until I see it can I answer that question. But, based on Rapture, I am 99.9% sure I am buying the new cakewalk synth when it is released. and I am ready for a new synths, so I think that is why I started this thread....

Its a total question of time one has to put into their music.

For me,

I think I would like to learn 1000 computer synths... but that is illogical. so its like... hmmm, a small handful of " key " " choice " " powerful " and "unique " vst/au is what I like....

but that does not work for everybody....

its only a question you can answer man,... Do you feel like you are missing something in your music tools??? ok, get an FM synth...

I don't feel like I need one for myself... but truthfully I am dying to know

Where is the new cakewalk supersynth!!! I swear its like its been abducted by aliens... What could possibly be taking these people so long

LOL LOL LOL
ckatrun411
RE: where is the new cakewalk supersynth... 2008/03/11 20:54:38 (permalink)
ew posted before me... his post makes more sense too
Nick P
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3112
RE: where is the new cakewalk supersynth... 2008/03/12 01:17:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Trusty

While you all are on the subject, I am wondering if there is anything I am missing by NOT having a dedicated FM synth. I mean, I have FM capabilities in things like z3ta+, PSYN II, Synthmaster, and of course, Reaktor has some FM ensembles in it that I use on occasion, but is there anything to having a full-fledged, dedicated FM synth that can create sounds I am lacking from my current collection that includes everything Cakewalk (except Square I and the sfz+), and a few other non-FM stuff like PHOSCYON, Retro-GS, Microtonic, and Intakt (a sampler).

For me the answer is yes, I am missing something. The complete solution, and really the only product of its kind is NI's FM8 (successor to NI's FM7). This synth has the classic Yamaha FM configuration with operators and modulators, plus a bunch of other features which bring this technology from the late 1970s and early 1980s into the now. I just love the way it sounds from the demos on NI's site, and I'm about to download the demo version now. These other synths which have FM as one of a number of sound generating methods are not going to be as complete a solution, IMO. Now Toxic looks really great, and I'm sure it's a great choice as well. But for me, I first of all like the sound of FM8's MP3 demos more than Toxic, and second, as the owner and user of a number of Yamaha FM hardware synths, FM8 makes more sense to me.

I like the idea of focused, dedicated synths. Take Sytrus for example. Sounds great and does alot of things well, but what is it unique at? I see FM8 (or Toxic I guess) as a perfect complement to Rapture. Primary colors if you will. With just those two synths I think one could get a whole lot of sonic mileage without ever having to go further in purchasing additional sound generators.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
ckatrun411
RE: where is the new cakewalk supersynth... 2008/03/12 05:46:38 (permalink)
IMHO, Tera is not "a jack of all trades and master of none"

Tera is "the whole is more than the sum of its parts"

Yes its not an fm8. and its probably not right for you at all... I don't know sytrus, but I can say this... If you want a synth, that is a great all around, capable synth... Grab Massive!! Thor!! Zt3a, Vanguard!! Gladiator!!... These synths will do all types of bread and butter as well as super cutting edge stuff ( massive zt3a )

But if you want a synth, a soft synth, that is capable of timbers that sound like multi color shards of glass that cut through the lasers of the night....

I can think of 1.... Harry at Virsyn, has written just about the most beautiful software distortion algorithms ever!!!

Trust me, for a guy who played a Marshall jcm 800, owned a mesa boogie dc 10... Software disto sucks to my ears. But, man. only Tera

Cakewalk came very close, with the LoFi in Rapture. Brilliant coders work at this company as well. Raptures distortion in its DsP section is more than acceptable to me.

But the only guy as far as I am concerned, who has written a distortion algorithm, that is anything like a real vacuum tube. Is Harry at Virsyn... He has an incredible ear. and its Tera's free running Meg envelopes are very good as well. Only difference is rapture allows for more flexible segments and octaves. So Rapture has like some of the most advanced and well coded envelopes around...

but I know NIs very well, there disto is standard.. most software disto is just standard... Vaz is excellent, but he is not on os x, and it is written in Delphi, but vaz's disto will not best Harry's....

Tera is a real shredder, but in a beautiful, vacuum tube like way. You can not find software distortion like this... and that is what makes the synth amazing.

A real overlooked gem. a super hidden and totally overlooked, master of,... " software vacuum tube like, shred multi color shiny shards of glass laser like synthesis gizmo " as i like to call it.....
ckatrun411
RE: where is the new cakewalk supersynth... 2008/03/12 06:09:32 (permalink)
btw, I just remembered, this forum has a bug with os x safari, so there is no edit previous post button...

anyways, Nick, I imagine fm8 is right for you. and its probably only me in this world who is such a stickler when it comes to distortion... anyways, enjoy FM&

I am still dying for the new cakewalk. I get so impatient... I think maybe we will see it soon. hopefully by the end of april. or early may or something...

oh I didn't mean to go so silly with the fanboy post above...

ckatrun411
RE: where is the new cakewalk supersynth... 2008/03/12 07:23:59 (permalink)
ofcourse though, despite anything, Raptures synthesis is just amazing...
Nick P
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3112
RE: where is the new cakewalk supersynth... 2008/03/12 08:02:54 (permalink)
ckatrun411 - I'm taking your word on Tera, especially as regards the "multi-colored shards of glass". When I get a chance I'll get the demo and really check it out. I know it's gotten a lot of good press. You obviously know about "real" distortion versus digital recreations.

Here's a question: I've got a track that needs distorted guitar. Nothing to involved - just some pop lead lines and power chords. I don't care if it's an actual guitar. Maybe I could cover these parts with Tera if you say it "shreds" the way it does. What do you think?

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
ckatrun411
RE: where is the new cakewalk supersynth... 2008/03/12 09:18:54 (permalink)
Hi Nick, That is not what I mean at all. sorry.

I mean, either I am crazy, or Virsyn Tera sheds sound in multiple directions as if the harmonix are flying crystalized shards of glass...

wave file -____--> http://www.box.net/shared/quscrlmw44

but I wouldn't go trying to replace guitar with her.....
joshhunsaker
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 638
RE: where is the new cakewalk supersynth... 2008/03/12 14:37:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ckatrun411

does anybody think that the new synth will be more powerful than anything that can be made in Reaktor or Max???

anything that can be made in reaktor (or max)? No - it likely won't. Reason being because you can design almost anything in reaktor (it'll likely take you a loooong long time though). Will it sound as good? Well, that depends on the design of the filters, analog modeling, and other aspects that make it more than just a bunch of simple math equations...
ckatrun411
RE: where is the new cakewalk supersynth... 2008/03/13 12:24:01 (permalink)
I don't know Josh... I am not a computer software engineer, so I can't give a great answer or argument, but....

It seems to me, something hard coded in a low level language can offer more sound design possibilities than something coded out of max and or reaktor. Reaktor is great, and its been at the top of its game for a long time, but with the new news from melodyne, on the new tech they are releasing, it makes me wonder... are we about to make a jump forward in synthesis as well?

Cakewalk said this new synth we are waiting on is going to let you do stuff, that is beyond the scope right now... I am totally dying to see what it is they have produced for us.
Trusty
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 590
RE: where is the new cakewalk supersynth... 2008/03/13 12:57:21 (permalink)
Tone2 said that about Gladiator, but that hasn't taken the software synth market by storm...
ckatrun411
RE: where is the new cakewalk supersynth... 2008/03/13 13:36:01 (permalink)
Indeed they did. IMHO, not classy marketing...

We are in a totally saturated market now. The music synth software is everywhere. So the companies have to start pushing the envelope. They have to develop the tech. Cakewalk, in the music soft world is like a huge company... So I am hoping they have money, despite rampant piracy and stealing, to develop some interesting tech.

Its been my belief for a long time that the piracy hurts us ( people who buy software ) as much as it hurts them ( people who make software ) Its the same thing that is going on with music in general. The more people download and steal, the worse the music is beginning to sound.

It takes money to develop serious software tech. And massive engineering talent. OK, gladiator didn't exactly cause an earthquake. but A Reaktor rival would!! Even something not modular, like that. but uber powerful just might.

Some next generation Supersynth is going to get attention. Something that takes, design, and sound quality to a whole new level. Rapture.... IMHO, is kinda like this. ITs envelopes and step sequencers, and DSP section, to me. seems incredibly advanced. its lfos are fascinating, Its a really amazing synth. Its next level. IMHO....

Zt3a is kinda old, but it has more " synth " in it than Rapture... ( so I hear ) I am on os x, so I havn't had the pleasure of Zt3a... but, waveshaper, fm, and such is all in Ztr3a

I am only working right now, with Tera and Rapture.. I have a bit other software installed, but this is just kinda where my workflow has fallen into place...

I am definitely in the market for a new synth. I definitely would love to see something Mega Powerful. not " tone two gladiator is the most powerful synth ever "

more like... " and this is going to open up doorways of possibilities that do not exist anywhere else " and that, imho, is much more along the lines of what Cakewalk said.

and being that its cakewalk. I think we should give em the benefit of the doubt. just like we would NI, if they said something like that. Or Virsyn, or U - He, or any of the other top coders in music soft...

Look at what has just come from Melodyne. Fascinating, absolutely fascinating. Surely Cakewalk is about to release something exciting like this!! Not a Reaktor perse,

but something with a new kind of futuristic new synth software tech. Something awesome, I am hoping to see...
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1