which midi controller is the best for sonar 8

Author
dnlfacundo
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 112
2010/05/10 01:14:12 (permalink)

which midi controller is the best for sonar 8

gonna be selling my korg m50 and with the cash i am thinking about getting a midi controller just becuase my working speed is fast and with a mouse it is somwwaht slow.So is there any midi controller out there in the range of 300 to 360 that can map out to sonars config's properlly and easy?

8 Replies Related Threads

MemphisJo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    Re:which midi controller is the best for sonar 8 2010/05/11 01:26:10 (permalink)
    There is no controller that can map Sonar, because of ACT, and the way it works, you actually have to map Sonar to your controller by using ACT and having Sonar 'listen' to your controller (or map the whole thing manually - increasing your chances of developing carpel tunnel). 

There are only 2 controllers on the market that can map themselves to DAW software, that is the Axiom Pro and the Novation SL MKII, neither of these will map themselves automatically with Sonar as you still have to use ACT, which is a pain in the ass.

There are some presets in ACT, but these give very limited functionality without the user fully understanding ACT and doing quite a lot of work, again a PITA.

By all accounts the best controllers to use with Sonar are Edirol and the new Cakewalk controllers, because Cakewalk and Edirol are owned by Roland they have done the best job of integrating these controllers into the clumsy and out of date ACT plug in.

Unlike the manufacturers of Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic, Ableton etc. who have all started to work with hardware manufacturers and each other to integrate their software and controllers very deeply, Cakewalk is keeping it's self distanced and isolated for the sake of what I don't really know (controller sales)?  

post edited by MemphisJo - 2010/05/11 01:31:16

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
    Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:which midi controller is the best for sonar 8 2010/05/14 04:24:59 (permalink)
    Our A-Pro controllers map automatically to whichever plugin or synth is in focus in SONAR through ACT (Active Controller Technology). With the A-Pro you don't have to manually map out controlls, all you have to do is insert the control surface into SONAR and press the ACT button on the controller. From there just click on any plugin or synth in SONAR and it will automatically be mapped out to the A-Pro's sliders and knobs!

We also provide preset templates to use the A-Pro with other DAWs as well as an editor software to remap controls.
    portesham
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 129
    Re:which midi controller is the best for sonar 8 2010/05/21 15:10:22 (permalink)
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
    ]

Our A-Pro controllers map automatically to whichever plugin or synth is in focus in SONAR through ACT (Active Controller Technology). With the A-Pro you don't have to manually map out controlls, all you have to do is insert the control surface into SONAR and press the ACT button on the controller. From there just click on any plugin or synth in SONAR and it will automatically be mapped out to the A-Pro's sliders and knobs!

We also provide preset templates to use the A-Pro with other DAWs as well as an editor software to remap controls.

Yes the A-Pro controller's the business alright. And who knows, one day I might actually be able to buy one here in the UK. One day.

Sonar Professional on Win 10, Core 2 quad Q66000, 4GB ram, Tascam US-2x2, NVidia 9400GT, A-500Pro.

Excelling at mediocrity for 61 years.
    edchillington
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:which midi controller is the best for sonar 8 2010/05/23 10:08:01 (permalink)
    sweet.  I really don't want to shell out for the V700, but really DO need some volume sliders for mixing, and rotaries for "playing" my synth parameters live.
    these new controllers sound perfect (not that the M-audio and the like isn't good, but having something that works without my dinking around with settings is gonna be awesome)
    MemphisJo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    Re:which midi controller is the best for sonar 8 2010/05/26 23:55:31 (permalink)
    I just got a Novation SL MKII yesterday. It's incredible.
    It's taken over Cakewalk and made it mine to control with incredible ease and a certain amount of finesse.

The Fatar designed keyboard is great and Automap 3 brings midi control and assignment into the 21st century. It leaves M Audios Hypercontrol in the dust and makes their their junky plastic Axiom Pro look like, well... junk! 

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
    Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

john.childs@btinternet.com
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:which midi controller is the best for sonar 8 2015/04/04 10:58:41 (permalink)
    Anyone successfullyusing a Nektar P1 with Sonar Platinum?
    MondoArt
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 226
    Re:which midi controller is the best for sonar 8 2015/04/21 14:21:04 (permalink)
    The Novation Impulse keyboards come with a Sonar installation file, and the transports and faders map perfectly (on Sonar X3 anyway).

Neel
    Songwriter/Producer
    neelmodi.com

Sonar Platinum | Intel i5 | Windows 10 Home | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 | Akai Advance 61 | NI Komplete 10
    FCCfirstclass
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 969
    Re:which midi controller is the best for sonar 8 2015/04/27 15:34:19 (permalink)
    MondoArt
    The Novation Impulse keyboards come with a Sonar installation file, and the transports and faders map perfectly (on Sonar X3 anyway).

It should work for Sonar 2015 as well.

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1