which project 5 version?

Author
ooblecaboodle
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2102
2008/11/03 09:04:39 (permalink)

which project 5 version?

I finally decided I want to buy project 5, after trying the demo of project5 V2 some time ago.

However, I can get project 5 V2 for around £145, but on the cakewalk website I can apparently order project 5 version 2.5 for £59????

Moreso, I then found out that if i buy P5V2 for £145, that P5V2.5 is a free download?

So what's the difference between version 2, and version 2.5? why is 2.5 much, much cheaper than version2?

Thanks for any help.

18 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: which project 5 version? 2008/11/03 09:47:36 (permalink)
    The biggest diff I can come up with off hand is V2 comes with Dimension while V2.5 comes with DimLe - a step down. If you have DimPro or plan to upgrade to it, V2.5 is the better deal. If not, you'll have to decide if a programable Dim is better for your purposes than the preset DimLe.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    ooblecaboodle
    RE: which project 5 version? 2008/11/03 09:52:44 (permalink)
    thanks for the heads up. Looks like I'll be going for v2.5 then.
    mumpcake
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: which project 5 version? 2008/11/03 12:45:32 (permalink)
    The only advantage to buying the boxed 2.0 is the instruments bundled with it. Version 2.5 only comes with three (Dim LE, Velocity, nPulse). V2.0 swaps the original (pre "Pro" Dimension) for LE and also gives you PSYN II, Cyclone, and DS864.
    post edited by mumpcake - 2008/11/03 12:49:04
    ooblecaboodle
    RE: which project 5 version? 2008/11/03 12:55:14 (permalink)
    so, have i got this right...

V2.0 gives me Dimension, PsynII, Cyclone, DS864 Velocity and Npulse.
    V2.5 only gives me Dimension LE, Velocity, Npulse.

And Dimension LE is pretty much the same as Dimension?
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: which project 5 version? 2008/11/03 12:56:57 (permalink)

what if one bought the downloable 2.5 and then upgraded to the full version of Dim Pro
    is that still less than the full price for 2.0 and the free upgrade to 2.5

(that route would imply less interest in nPulse and Velocity)

ooblecaboodle
    RE: which project 5 version? 2008/11/03 13:06:10 (permalink)
    Well, since this is my first musical purchase for my own musical use for some time (All my versions of sonar have been to record and mix other people's work, and have been installed in the studio) I quite fancy getting as good a deal on as varied a colection of sound sources as possible.
    My intention (hopefully I'll find time to do it this time!) is to write electronic music, so a large array of sounds would be very handy!
    wrench45us
    RE: which project 5 version? 2008/11/03 14:46:46 (permalink)

but a large array of useful sounds

so that would depend on your opinion of nPulse and Velocity

no doubt about how useful Dim Pro can be

how is the weather in Wales this time of year? my Welsh ancestors came over in 1850's - 1870's to central Ohio -- Evans, Thomas and Edwards
    as flat as that part of Ohio is must have been quite a change

ooblecaboodle
    RE: which project 5 version? 2008/11/03 15:15:59 (permalink)
    I don't think the weather's changed much since 1850! It's certainly been raining solid for several months!

It's really bloody cold at the moment, it's about 4 degrees c outside, and I've got the studio heating on full. It's still only 8pm here, on an early november day, so it looks like the winter's going to be pretty chilly this time. We've already had snow covering most of the Snowdonia mountain range last week.
    The weather always feels colder than the temperature suggests here, I think it's got something to do with the northern winds coming down from the pole.

Still, it could be worse, I could be living in Scotland !
    ooblecaboodle
    RE: which project 5 version? 2008/11/03 15:24:17 (permalink)
    What part of Wales did your ancestors hail from then? Have you ever visited?

My folks went over with a choir trip two years ago (I'll have to ask them where their travels took them - I forget) and were surprised to see something of a Welsh stronghold. They even met a preacher who could speak a little of the language! My mother's got pictures of gravestones with Welsh poetry and memoriams, which really moved her, that people had traveled that far, but still treasured their roots.
    Amazing.

We even had a couple visit the studios only last week from the states, who also managed to speak a little Welsh! It never ceases to amaze me how havily one's roots can affect them.
    Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    RE: which project 5 version? 2008/11/03 15:43:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ooblecaboodle

so, have i got this right...

V2.0 gives me Dimension, PsynII, Cyclone, DS864 Velocity and Npulse.
    V2.5 only gives me Dimension LE, Velocity, Npulse.

And Dimension LE is pretty much the same as Dimension?

You're spot-on with the included synths... Dimension LE is a stripped-down version of Dimension Pro. Mostly an instrument for presets. Dimension gives you more opportunity to sculpt the sounds. Dimension Pro even more so. So... if you're a preset person, LE would likely do just fine for you. If you're into soundcrafting, Dimension might be the better route to take.

HTH

Russ

wrench45us
    RE: which project 5 version? 2008/11/03 15:45:56 (permalink)
    my great grandfather was circuit riding Welsh speaking minister from Kansas City to the miners in Pennsylvania

in a pretty typical turn of events, his first wife died and he remarried another who spoke the language, but to spite her stepmotherly ways, the offspring quit speaking Welsh around her and eventually altogether. My family settled around Lima and Newark, Ohio -- mostly open farm country.

It was only this year that I learned that my Welsh ancestors were in this country prior to the Civil War. My grandfather came over to attend Yale Divinity school in the 1870's. I should ask my cousin, the source of my new family knowledge, what part of Wales our family is from. I've never been to Wales. Though those that know tell me my dark and brooding ways come from the Welsh parts of the family. see the rain and cold and proclivity for staring into a fire for hours.
    post edited by wrench45us - 2008/11/03 15:46:30

:10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: which project 5 version? 2008/11/03 15:56:35 (permalink)
    You need rapture too if you dont already have it.

then you need all of the www.galbanum.com stuff.
    then you need to download all of the free XP packs for both rapture and D-pro.

then you need to go to www.patcharena.com for more XP packs, and skins for D-pro

lets not forget a drum sampler synth like RMV or battery4 (5?)

and then you need....

ooblecaboodle
    RE: which project 5 version? 2008/11/03 17:00:40 (permalink)
    Though those that know tell me my dark and brooding ways come from the Welsh parts of the family. see the rain and cold and proclivity for staring into a fire for hours.

Lol, I think Bill Bailey (popular surreal UK comedian) got it most correct when he said the Welsh live in an almost pure sense of apathy towards anything!

"What's this, Jones, we need a national dish, what for?
    I dunno, Jones, it's for other people or something, to mark us out as different. What can you make?
    Meh, I can't be arsed to be honest, how's about cheese on toast?"
    (Cheese on toast, as pathetic as it may be in it's lack of grandeur, is really, actually our national dish, in the same way that Pasta or Spag Bol is italian, Sushi is Japanese etc! - Then again, I suppose Pizza is really just glorified cheese on toast with added bits anyway!)

You need rapture too if you dont already have it.

then you need all of the www.galbanum.com stuff.
    then you need to download all of the free XP packs for both rapture and D-pro.

then you need to go to www.patcharena.com for more XP packs, and skins for D-pro

lets not forget a drum sampler synth like RMV or battery4 (5?)

and then you need....

Excuse my ignorance, but what is an XP pack?

As for drum synths, I've already got BFD, which is my fave for acoustic drums, and Reason, and probably around 15 years worth of drum and percussion sample collecting/recording.

I'm definitely not a preset guy, give me an un-patched, fully reset mog modular over something like a Triton, anyday! Part of the fun is just making sounds

Hmm, I was checking out the Galbanum stuff whilst I was typing this, and to be honest, that sounds very lightweight for my tastes. I like it hard and crunchy.
    cheers for the suggestions though.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: which project 5 version? 2008/11/03 17:51:54 (permalink)
    If you are into sounddesign then DimPro is for you. Cake also has great deals on Rapture, which is an even better "synth." I don't know what is the cheapest route for getting there, but both are worthy contenders.

I still hope to visit Wales - I love Scotland. And I'll take cheese toast over haggis.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    badbib
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    RE: which project 5 version? 2008/11/03 18:13:07 (permalink)
    honestly, I wouldn't go for the boxed version.

I think dimension Pro it worth buying. but the other synths included in P5 are in my opinion not as good as what you can get with freewares, or with Reason since you have it.

I bought the boxed version of P5 bundled with DimPro for 280€ here in france (that is 230€ for P5, and half price on DimPro, so 50 bucks instead of 100). but the download version was not out at the time.

if I had to choose now, I'd go for the download version*, and use the saved money for third party synths/samplers/whatever

because ever since I've had P5v2, I haven't used Dimension, Cyclone, DS864 Velocity or Npulse at all. I did a song with PsynII, just for fun, but that's all I used from P5's bundled synths.
    that doesn't mean they're not good or that the box version is not worth it, I just haven't found a use for those synths.

XP packs are expansion packs for dimension Pro. Cakewalk released two free expansion packs for dimension pro exclusively (although you can use them in dimLe).

Have you already tried rewiring Reason in P5? if you enjoy the sound you get from reason, if you like its drum sampler and synths better than velocity, psyn and cyclone, there's definetely no point buying the box version of P5, especially if you intend to buy dimension Pro as well.
    Upgrading dimension Pro from dimension Le costs 94£ on the cakewalk website, which is roughly the price difference between the box and the download version of P5. With the box version, you'd still have to pay 59£ more to upgrade from dimension to dimension pro.

*actually, this is a lie, I wouldn't buy the download version, nor the box version, I'd buy ableton Live, but that's definetely off topic
    wrench45us
    RE: which project 5 version? 2008/11/03 18:56:45 (permalink)
    if I had to choose now, I'd go for the download version*, and use the saved money for third party synths/samplers/whatever

I guess that was my point above -- though not so directly
    I would upgrade to Dim Pro -- if you have interest in a unique sampler

nPulse and Velocity aren't exactly earth-shattering

I'd take the saved money (if any) and go for world class effects
    like Voxengo mastering limiters or transient manipulators
    and uhe software's Filterscape

I'm a big believer in getting the quickest workflow DAW and the best fx packages possible
    synths will just show up at the door (or so it seems) but the really good fx packages lift any sound source

badbib
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    RE: which project 5 version? 2008/11/03 18:58:16 (permalink)
    synths will just show up at the door

I wish a minimoog could show up at my door...
    :10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: which project 5 version? 2008/11/03 22:09:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ooblecaboodle

I like it hard and crunchy.

sounds like my kinda music!

XP= expansion packs.

Galbanum has a nice set of samples to load into D-pro, or rapture, or any other synth you want to program for creating your own sounds.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1