will my laptop plan fit my needs?

Author
Doc Iacovelli
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
2009/05/17 18:06:44 (permalink)

will my laptop plan fit my needs?

Hello,

I'm a home studio/one-track-at-a-time recordist.
At most, my stuff is vocals, 3 guitars, piano(midi), bass and drums(midi).
I've got Sonar Producer3 and Studio 7.
Could I please have some advice on whether my plan for a laptop purchase will fit my needs?

Coreâ„¢ 2 Duo Processor T8100
2.1GHz, 3MB L2, 800MHz FSB
160GB (5400 RPM) Serial ATA hard disk drive; (How big a problem is the 5400?)
Configured with 1024MB (1024 MB x 1) PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM
Toshiba sends an "xp Pro downgrade media" I will substitute for the preinstalled Vista OS
Planning to install 3G total RAM, an external HD for storage, and the Echo audiofire4
for an interface.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.
doc

2 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: will my laptop plan fit my needs? 2009/05/17 19:50:48 (permalink)
    some will say 5400 is a prob.. I haven't had major issues with it from what i've done.. then again I haven't a big track count on my laptop for audio. also that drive is sata, so thats good.

as for the audiofire.. thats fire wire? maybe that could be a problem.. if that laptop doesn't use a Ti chipset for firewire. I use usb2 , but thats me.

Vista would still run pretty ok.. although I notice it's only got 1gb of ram.. but as you say you want 3gb.. it can support that? some laptops go up to 2gb (mine does, but it's old)

you could always use vst-i's as well.. e.g. for the piano , drums etc. midi is "ok" to a point, but I still like using both as sampled based things, due to the articulations etc.

Doc Iacovelli
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: will my laptop plan fit my needs? 2009/05/20 17:19:11 (permalink)
    Hi Fog,
    I hope you get this! I should have posted a THANK YOU for your reply right away, Im sorry to take so long. Your reply sent me off on an information search for firewire and usb2 interfaces, and it was a big help. After doing some further reading and return policies being what they are, I'm going to roll the dice and go with the audiofire4. If it sucks, I'll return it, but I like what I read around the net. We'll see...Oh, and when I said I used MIDI piano and drums, perhaps I stated it incorrectly...I meant that I use vst's played by my midi keyboard. Thanks for taking the time to help me out, I appreciate it.
    doc
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1