will there be a new controller for X1?

Author
syntheticpop
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 688
2011/01/03 17:24:05 (permalink)

will there be a new controller for X1?

After Sonar 8.5 was released, the Cakewalk A-Pro series keyboard controllers were first introduced at the 2010 NAMM.  Are there any plans to release a new line-up of controllers for X1?

If not, do these controllers work seamlessly with X1 like they do with 8.5?

When these were engineered, did the bakers have them in mind to work with future versions of Sonar or was it meant to be hardware for 8.5?

2 Replies Related Threads

S.Wallis
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 269
    Re:will there be a new controller for X1? 2011/01/05 17:51:36 (permalink)
    I surpose the controller could do with a few more buttons, but you can change the drum pads to act as control buttons for undo, solo, mute, etc... (Which i've done.)

For me, the A-PRO works perfectly for X1 (just like it did with 8.5.) However, one or two users have had some problems using it with X1 - such as having to assign the inputs and outputs every time they load X1. I personally don't have this problem, and can't seem to replicate it either.

The one thing i don't like about this controller is the aftertouch. It's very poor, and that's being kind! There's different settings but none of them seem to just work.

The default setting is too hard to get to, forcing you to press down very hard. You can make it even less responsive (for some reason) and you can set it up so you don't have to use as much force. The only problem with that is the aftertouch then becomes too unpredictable - for example if you want to use aftertouch to open the cut-off to a certain amount, it's very easy to go past that amount. Kinda hard to explain... It's either too sensitive, or you have to use too much force. There's no good setting.

Apart from the aftertouch i love this controller and wouldn't swap it for anything under £1000. If i didn't have Sonar i wouldn't be too fussed about it, but it intergrates with Sonar absolutly perfectly.

What i like the most about the A-PRO is i can set it up to be controlling a synth, or effect, then if i need to adjust some track levels i press a button on the A-PRO and i can control track levels and pan. Press another button and i'm back to the synth or effect i was controlling a second ago. I can keep switching 'focus' between tracks and synths (or effects) with 2 buttons, which allows me to work 90-95% of the time without the mouse.

For what it's worth, i produce 100% 'in the box' so i use my A-PRO to record with the keys, adjust levels, pan and VST with the knobs and sliders, and use the drum pads for control buttons. Aswell as using the transport buttons, of course.

Oh yeah, to answer your question - no, i don't think there will be another keyboard controller coming out from Cakewalk any time soon. That isn't from any official information or anything. I just think that the A-PRO is still quite new, and does the job. And if you need more control there's the V studio 700 by Cakewalk.

Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:will there be a new controller for X1? 2011/01/07 06:19:46 (permalink)
    S.Wallis

Apart from the aftertouch i love this controller and wouldn't swap it for anything under £1000. .
    I agree, I can just about live with the aftertouch, I can control the vowel morphs on the Kontakt 4 Choirs which needs a bit or precision, but I do wish I did not have to press so hard to do it.

For me its missing an octave or two however. I know I go on about it but I would have loved a A-PRO 1000 with 76 or 88 keys. At the moment I am loving have two keyboards, even if my old XP-10 is stuck on channel one and I can only transpose it one octave down. When it finally dies I will feel obliged to replace it.

But back to the OP question. I think the most you will is for X1 would be a firmware update.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1