.wov file will not open in mc4?

Author
jdscott
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86
2010/07/20 23:41:04 (permalink)

.wov file will not open in mc4?

Hey, all....
I recently worked on a project, saved it, to comeback to later (saved it as a .cwb file.).  When I did comeback to it, it would not open.  The error message said this version of cakewalk could not open this file.  When I found the file in my documents, it was listed in the properties as a ".WOV" file.  how did this happen? How do I get it back to a .cwb so I can open it?  Have I lost the whole shebang, and have to start all over?  Also, when I searched my p.c. to find the file location, some of the tracks were in .wav, just a few. they would open, but they were just single tracks, and not all of the track, just part of it though.  Did I accidentally screw something up when saving?  Please help, this is 3 days of work!!!

JD Scott

Music Creator 6,
M-Audio 2496 card (Upgrading to M-Audio 1010!)
B.C. Rich, Ibanez guitars,
Yamaha basses,
Berhenger Xynex 1202 board
Peavey and Roland amps
Rolling Rock mood filter

3 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:.wov file will not open in mc4? 2010/07/21 08:32:29 (permalink)
    This thread    might help to explain it a bit.

AS I understand it the WOV is a picture file not a music file. I think it is the "pictures" of the waves that you see in the tracks.... these can be deleted. MC4 will re-draw them the next time you run the project.

When you went into the waves... they were the track clips.... if you recorded a track and split it or deleted a part or punched in a fix....all of those are saved as waves.  Cake keeps a record of how to put them all together in the project when you open it. If you have somehow managed to delete or corrupt that folder MC4 will not know how to reconstruct the project.

It is always a good idea to save a project to a BUNDLE FILE when you complete it or finish working on it for the day. Bundles save ALL the data, all the waves, all the midi in one folder.

If you did not delete the files either on purpose or by accident, the files are still there...all you have to do is find them. check to see where you have MC4 set up to "default save" it's folders and projects. It should be in "Cakewalk Projects" on the C drive by default.

Good luck in finding them.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/21 08:33:34

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:.wov file will not open in mc4? 2010/07/21 13:42:42 (permalink)
    You could try renaming the file and ext and see if it opens.

Like if the file is "song.wov" name it "song1.cwb" and try to open that one.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:.wov file will not open in mc4? 2010/07/21 21:48:14 (permalink)
    That is precisely why I don't save as bundles (cwb).
    It save the whole thing as one file, and if it gets corrupted, you lose the whole thing.
    On the bright side, your audio tracks are saved as .wav files as you record them, so they should be intact somewhere on your machine.
    The file names may be somewhat cryptic.
    If you save the project with a specific name before you record anything, that name will be included in the file name, and the individual files are easier to find.
    If you have project folders, it makes it that much easier.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1