wrench soundscape electronica

Author
wrench45us
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4991
2005/03/30 20:51:31 (permalink)

wrench soundscape electronica

i have determined that i set up better expectations if i call these soundscapes, even if there are beats

this one is mixed pretty clean (i think) based on what i picked up working with bubblefish and since

at the soundclick link in my signature

'state Street'

post edited by wrench45us - 2005/03/30 20:57:58

5 Replies Related Threads

burkek
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: wrench soundscape electronica 2005/03/30 21:08:27 (permalink)
    Good opening! I was lulled into a near state of unconciousness for, oh, 2.3 seconds and then <THUD> a huge kickdrum. Ok. You have my attention now.

So this is a <Soundscape> ... hmmm .... well alright then, so there'll be no commenting on lyrics then, or even vocals for that matter, or melody might even go out the window on this one, and depending on future imagery additions and voiceovers, perhaps even the EQ is up for grabs.

I suppose I like it then. In fact, it's right on the money! Loved the 'almost-in-tune' breathy choir sound, and some of the other synths. Really great sound selection. A little too up front though - maybe a stereo-widening (matrix) effect on one or more synths (at different settings of course) could have separated things a bit. I would have liked to see a softer more lush approach to this one at the mixing stage. It's not the kind of track you remember, it's the kind of track you remember liking.

I like.

KEv

www.kevinburke.ca

Macbook Pro 2017 | 4K monitor 
    AKAI S5000 x 3 | Korg Prophecy/Poly-61M | Alesis S4+/DM5 | Ensoniq Mirage x 2, ASR-10 | EMU e6400 | Roland S750 | Kawai K4r/XD-5/K3m | EMU Proformance/1+ | Waldorf uQ

wrench45us
    RE: wrench soundscape electronica 2005/03/30 21:19:35 (permalink)

kev,
    I did tighten up the stereo width on a number of synths to get better separation

man, you've got some sensitive and perceptive listening skills

guess i didn't need to go quite so far

thanks, this is the sort of information I don't get from a lot of people and it's the sort of thing that I can really use

bubblefish
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 914
    RE: wrench soundscape electronica 2005/03/31 04:07:08 (permalink)
    hi jan

i have to say i didn,t really like this so much, constrained was the word popping into my head.

there were elements i liked, your drum transitions and variations are something i,ve always appriciated, and envied, as are many of the synth sounds you produce.

but felt the groove was a little confused and like i said constrained. like it was about to go in one direction then would hesitate and turn back on it self.....Is this making sense?

anyway thanks for the recognition, these days personally I'm going through periods of self doubt when it comes to music especially when hearing what you folks over at the P5 forum are turning out.

and yeah that elektroniqa's great, you know your getting honest and direct feed back from the man.

keep them coming and good luck with your demo's

If you live the sacred and despise the ordinary,
    you are still bobbing in the ocean of delusion

Some sounds with spaces
    wrench45us
    RE: wrench soundscape electronica 2005/03/31 08:19:09 (permalink)

thanks kieran,
    that's useful to know as well

some people seemed to appreciate the 'structure' on this one, but that structure is also the thing that keeps it from catching a groove as you say. it never really does take off like some pieces do.
    so that's good to know.

when i'm in those periods of self doubt I go back to Motown and Beatles fake books and work through a few tunes trying different inversions and key centers. I learn a little something and give the self-doubting part of my mind a little breather.

ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: wrench soundscape electronica 2005/04/01 11:35:26 (permalink)
    Jan,
    I always like your melodic/harmonic lines. On this, I think that the harmonic rhythm was a bit too faced paced, you could dwell on each chord for a longer period (except the "chorus" at 0:24, that has a nice pace, but later at 1:00+ it should slow down). Also, I've noted in your approach, that you orchestrate for full on or very light, it would be interesting to hear more graduation in textures with pair-wise couplings.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1