writing horn parts?

Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2008/12/10 08:51:12 (permalink)

writing horn parts?

I've been learning a bit about N.I. Kontakt and so I've written a short jam type tune with a horn part. I've never written a horn part but thought the availability of the Kontakt library could insire something nice.

I've got a "tune" which is really just a drum loop I wrote and a bass line I played on the keys.

The "tune" is in D major.

I also played a a horn "riff" and I set up 5 channels in Kontakt. I'm using:

Trumpet
Alto Sax
Tenor Sax
Baritone Sax
Trombone

So what I did was take my melodic "riff" and I built simple triads out of the sax "section" following the major and minor forms as suggested by the chord melody. I ran the trumpet an octave above the sax section. The trumpet is in unison to the root note of the triad formed by the sax section. I ran the trombone an octave below the same triad form.

It sounds pretty good to my ears.

So, how is it really done? I just did this by instinct and with only a crude handle on theory... and I feel like my use of simple triads must be just a primitive approach compared to having a working knowledge of the more complex chords voicings.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for getting good at this?

thanks very much,
mike

17 Replies Related Threads

boogielicious
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 321
    RE: writing horn parts? 2008/12/10 09:49:01 (permalink)
    Mike,

If you go to the Garritan forum for Garritan Pocket Orchestra, there is a whole tutorial on writing parts.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=77

There was also a tutorial about jazz parts that I can't find at the moment. The tutorial is geared more toward orchestra, but the principle still apply. What I do is think of the brass melody that is counter to the songs main melody. I pick one instrument for that melody line, then build the rest of the parts around that. One jazz trick is to avoid 5ths in your triad, say 1st, 3rd and 7th. Try and keep each instrument in the middle of it's range. Examples would be trumpets and octave above saxes and trombones at the base. You can double up on certain notes with two different instruments, but try to pan them away from each other.

Another really important thing is to make sure the instrument don't start at the same time or have the same duration of note. I will nudge them either way. Also, if you can use the pitch control, you can detune the notes ever so slightly at the start and end of the note and make it more realistic. Below is a song I did with Garritan Jazz and Big Band. It has 3 trumpets, 3 saxes and 3 trombones in a traditional style. There is also a trumpet shake that was from Dimension Pro.

The song is Brand New Love Affair.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6491631

The best thing to do is experiment. Leave out 1st and do 3rd and 7ths and 9th. Listen to songs that are similar to what sound you want.

Scott
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: writing horn parts? 2008/12/10 09:53:29 (permalink)
    Thanks Scott,

That is exactly the type of "food for thought" I am hungry for.

best,
    mike

boogielicious
    RE: writing horn parts? 2008/12/10 10:30:42 (permalink)
    I found the Jazz link.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57204

It was on a different Garritan forum page.

Have fun with this.

Scott
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: writing horn parts? 2008/12/10 12:31:31 (permalink)
    It sounds pretty good to my ears.

Trust that. There is probably about a 99% chance that whatever you write will be completely playable, as long as you stay within the instruments ranges.

I will say that trumpet and trombone are like peas and carrots when played in octaves. In my experience, Sax's work well filling in the inner parts of chords, but tend to be less than stellar in outer voices. (Though Bari Sax is obviously the lowest instrument here).
    SH
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 942
    RE: writing horn parts? 2008/12/10 16:29:19 (permalink)
    There is probably about a 99% chance that whatever you write will be completely playable, as long as you stay within the instruments ranges.

Don't know about 99%. Shakes are pretty hard for trumpets (at least for me) especially in lower ranges.
    Large skips are hard at faster tempos, especially slured, etc. Some valve combinations make some trills sound very rough (Ab and low B to C# for example). Of course the better the player, the more things are 'completely playable'.
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: writing horn parts? 2008/12/11 09:25:30 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone.

I've been reading the Northern Sounds tutorials... wow!

Thanks for the encouragement.

May I ask, what's a "shake"?

I'm not at a place in any of my MIDI work where I'm using articulations to mimic the instrument but I'm trying to learn more about that stuff with my drums and bass (because I play both of those instruments) programming. I've been working recently with simple organ voicing for beds... so I just extended that work to use the horn samples in Kontakt.

I guess I'll have to learn some horn jargon and sensibility. :-)

best regards,
    mike

SH
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 942
    RE: writing horn parts? 2008/12/11 09:33:21 (permalink)
    May I ask, what's a "shake"?

A 'shake' is what is at the 0:15 second point in boogielicious' song 'Brand New Love Affair'.
    boogielicious
    RE: writing horn parts? 2008/12/11 10:55:26 (permalink)
    It is a rapid change in pitch, up and down, on a trumpet. Sort of like a rapid hammer on for guitar, but on the trumpet, the player doesn't finger the keys to get the change. If you have Dimension for your Sonar, there is a shake in the trumpet samples. It is great for adding accent or energy to a part. Real trumpet players can add a whole lot of sparkle to a part using this technique. There are also things called fall offs and kisses for the trumpet as well. A fall off is a step drop in pitch kind of like sliding your fingers down the fret board on guitar after striking a note. A kiss the the opposite.

Scott
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: writing horn parts? 2008/12/11 20:28:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for those descritpitons.

FWIW, I'm on a 56k Modem... I went to listen to your tune, but cab only use download... the streaming just will not work at 56k. :-(.

best regards,
    mike

bmdaustin
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1114
    RE: writing horn parts? 2008/12/11 22:04:50 (permalink)
    In addition to the voicings you've already experimented with, remember that unisons work (everybody plays the same pitch) and octaves work. A lot of the more powerful riffs you've heard on recordings are unsions and octaves. The best technique for getting good sounding arrangements is to write the horns in their best ranges. Trumpets don't always play above the treble clef, for example. They can be very effective in the staff doubled with the alto. Other combinations you might want to experiment with include 1) two trumpets, two tenors, bari (Tower of Power section) and 2) two trumpets, alto, tenor, and trombone. For rock tunes, leave out the third and stick to roots, fifths, and sevenths - tossing in the occasional ninth for a little jazzier sound. Think "guitar power chord". For jazzier or R&B tunes, investigate the full on jazz voicings where you'd lose the root and fifth and focus on the third, seventh, and ninth, as well as their alterations. The aforementioned tutorials on the Northernsounds forums will help guide you in that area. There are also excellent arranging textbooks available written by Henry Mancini, Nelson Riddle, Sammy Nestico, and several others that will give you a note by note analysis of their work.

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    http://www.bakersjazzandmore.com
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: writing horn parts? 2008/12/12 07:51:04 (permalink)
    Thank You Paul,

You guys are great!

sleepymike
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: writing horn parts? 2008/12/12 17:42:05 (permalink)
    I was working on a reggae song recently with a horn part - trombone, tenor sax, trumpet. The trombone and sax sounded great but when I added the trumpet, the three together sounded metallic and fake. The solution wound up being - as boogielicious said - starting the trumpet before/after the other two. Drag the notes a little behind/in front of the beats and add in a couple of little grace notes on the trumpet part and it sounds awesome. Good luck.
    bmdaustin
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1114
    RE: writing horn parts? 2008/12/13 16:27:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sleepymike

I was working on a reggae song recently with a horn part - trombone, tenor sax, trumpet. The trombone and sax sounded great but when I added the trumpet, the three together sounded metallic and fake. The solution wound up being - as boogielicious said - starting the trumpet before/after the other two. Drag the notes a little behind/in front of the beats and add in a couple of little grace notes on the trumpet part and it sounds awesome. Good luck.

That rule applies to any ensemble. Human players don't play exactly in time or exactly with each other. An easy technique, if you're copy/pasting, is to go ahead and copy/paste everything and then use the quantize feature to randomize the attacks. Depending on the tempo, set the quantize strength to 92-95%. That should move notes both forward and backwards just a bit which will fatten up the sound and make it more realistic. You might need to adjust the percentage amount to taste, but those numbers should get you in the ballpark.

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    http://www.bakersjazzandmore.com
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: writing horn parts? 2008/12/13 18:21:00 (permalink)
    Once again, thanks for continuing to make suggestions... great stuff!

best,
    mike

bilbosblues
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 415
    RE: writing horn parts? 2008/12/13 21:39:19 (permalink)
    the way you built off the triads is one of the most common methods, or the melody

have fun, then hire some real instrumentalists

ciao
    zippsinc
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 456
    RE: writing horn parts? 2008/12/14 10:19:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: boogielicious

The song is Brand New Love Affair.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6491631

The best thing to do is experiment. Leave out 1st and do 3rd and 7ths and 9th. Listen to songs that are similar to what sound you want.

Scott

Crikey Scott

All the brass parts in 'Brand New Love Affair' are absolutely fantastic for VSTis. I'm absolutely astonished. Well done.

Can I ask what you used for the double bass?

ZippsInc
    post edited by zippsinc - 2008/12/14 11:31:51
    boogielicious
    RE: writing horn parts? 2008/12/14 12:48:53 (permalink)
    The double bass is one in Garritan Jazz and Big Band. You can play with the attack and finger noise to get it pretty realistic. It took a lot of tweaking to get the brass sounding the way it ended up. I had to use the Dimension Pro shake because I could never get Garritan JABB to make it sound right.

Thanks for the compliments.

Scott
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1