Helpful Replyx1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix,(SOLVED!)

Author
guitarmikeh
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 942
2011/01/28 22:06:48 (permalink)

x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix,(SOLVED!)

for me, x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. this is the second time after total reinstall.
I'm gonna save what I want to say but;
someone please tell me this will be fixed. or how to fix this. totally frustrated, borderline on enraged.

brundlefly

Another common cause of this is dialog coordinates being offscreen. If starting SONAR with Shift held down doesn't get it, here's the drill for editing the registry directly to change the coordinates:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=1623689

Sometimes just going to full display resolution will make it visible if you've switched to a lower resolution at some point.

thanks  so so much. this fixed the snap dialog issue.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR Producer\6.0\SnapDlg
post edited by guitarmikeh - 2011/01/31 06:23:59

I harbor no ill will towards any man.
IndustryStandard
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/28 22:57:35 (permalink)
I suggest you go back to a song in 8.5.3 that you did b4 X1 where the snap is working the way you like it. Then you can name it in the tv....save it...by clicking the  the little black floppy icon  as a preset. When you go back to the song that your having problems with... the preset should be there. And Voila .... you have your correct snap to grid setting.
guitarmikeh
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/28 23:03:10 (permalink)
thanks for replying.
that's a no go.
the snap to grid drop down doesn't even drop down...there no way to change the snap setting. it's either on or off.

IndustryStandard
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/28 23:19:25 (permalink)
My bad..in 8.5.3 click the little arrow next to the snap to grid tv! You'll see all the settings.

post edited by IndustryStandard - 2011/01/28 23:21:22
guitarmikeh
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/28 23:21:19 (permalink)
yeah that's what I'm talking about.
the little arrow does nothing now. so I cant change any snap function except on or off.

IndustryStandard
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/28 23:32:09 (permalink)
Wow...that's messed up..to tell you the truth ..I did a system restore to before X1 and reinstalled 8.5.3 to get it to work right again. Do you still have your 8.5.3 install files?

guitarmikeh
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/28 23:54:54 (permalink)
got all the disk s4, s5, s6, s7, s8, 8.5 and x1.
good lord, X1 has been a nightmare for me. I can honestly say I love having the built in comps, eq's, and "tape sat" on every channel. and never ever had a problem installing one version after another. but this is too much. I've just about had it with x1. and after a total system install from xp to sp3  and all that that entails plus reinstalling, pt7, 8.5 and x1 (i hesitated to install) and the various 3'rd party plugs, I'm beaten and cowering in the corner.

speaking of "Industry standard" great name BTW. I found PT8 for $119. I may just forsake cakewalk. I can only hope X1b fixes my issues.

brundlefly
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/29 02:14:29 (permalink)
Try starting 8.5 while holding Shift to "repersonalize" it, part of which involves reinitializing menus and toolbars.
Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
  • Total Posts : 2084
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/29 02:17:13 (permalink)
I don't know what to say but this doesn't make any sense. X1 and 8.5 live in separate folders and use separate registry entries. Did you install X1 in the folder 8.5 is in? If so, that could be your issue.
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/29 02:56:04 (permalink)
I thnk it has something to do with the C++ runtimes that get installed in the various versions. noel mentioned an error in the  MS installer in connection with X1 and that there was some issue with the C++ runtimes and some of us had to use the updated version. for some of us it stopped an error message and others it fixed things like previous versins of SONAR not working properly anymore after an X1 install. Once I did that my issues with S8.5.3 were oK.

The bigger issue for me was that uninstalling X1 even when selecting not to delete shared files,  rendered S8.3 and 8.5.3 inoperable ie they wouldn't run - no error message given though. I was able to reproduce this twice by deliberately following the same process so it was no fluke. I did a complete uninstall of 8 and 8.5 and X1 and a full reinstall of the lot repeat by 2 and got the same result each time.

The long winded hack of registry edits and mucking around to get SONAR off your system so you can do a clean reinstalltion is a nightmare and a real pain.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
guitarmikeh
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/29 03:36:42 (permalink)
brundlefly

Try starting 8.5 while holding Shift to "repersonalize" it, part of which involves reinitializing menus and toolbars.
Thanks I'll give this a try and hope for the best.

Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
]

I don't know what to say but this doesn't make any sense. X1 and 8.5 live in separate folders and use separate registry entries. Did you install X1 in the folder 8.5 is in? If so, that could be your issue.
thanks for replying Mr. Perlstein. I always let sonar products install into the default directories. I agree, it doesn't make sense. thus my frustration.
mudgel

I thnk it has something to do with the C++ runtimes that get installed in the various versions. noel mentioned an error in the  MS installer in connection with X1 and that there was some issue with the C++ runtimes and some of us had to use the updated version. for some of us it stopped an error message and others it fixed things like previous versins of SONAR not working properly anymore after an X1 install. Once I did that my issues with S8.5.3 were oK.

The bigger issue for me was that uninstalling X1 even when selecting not to delete shared files,  rendered S8.3 and 8.5.3 inoperable ie they wouldn't run - no error message given though. I was able to reproduce this twice by deliberately following the same process so it was no fluke. I did a complete uninstall of 8 and 8.5 and X1 and a full reinstall of the lot repeat by 2 and got the same result each time.

The long winded hack of registry edits and mucking around to get SONAR off your system so you can do a clean reinstalltion is a nightmare and a real pain.
 This is the second time this same issue has happen to me. I did mess with the registries the first time. but it was useless. a I'm far from being tech savvy. So I ended up reinstalling the whole computers OS and all. I'm not doing it again. sooo frustrating.
anyway thanks for the reply gentlemen . Well see what happens. "I must stay calm", is my saying lately.
I really want to like X1 and I do, I get lower latency with it as well. (it sounds better to me ,maybe placebo /maybe not ) but things like these just ...."I must stay calm".

post edited by guitarmikeh - 2011/01/29 03:43:49

Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
  • Total Posts : 2084
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/29 03:46:46 (permalink)
Yes, stay calm. No reason to freak out. I wish I had an answer and could solve your problem right now but I've just never seen this issue myself and as such I don't know the remedy. I'm not trying to shuffle you to the side, but I would recommend getting in touch with Tech Support as they are equipped to handle bizarre issues like this.

Of course, they are closed until Monday, so perhaps in the meantime its a good opportunity to get to know X1 better. Just trying to see the silver lining in an otherwise baffling situation.
guitarmikeh
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/29 03:56:20 (permalink)
Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
]

Yes, stay calm. No reason to freak out. I wish I had an answer and could solve your problem right now but I've just never seen this issue myself and as such I don't know the remedy. I'm not trying to shuffle you to the side, but I would recommend getting in touch with Tech Support as they are equipped to handle bizarre issues like this.

Of course, they are closed until Monday, so perhaps in the meantime its a good opportunity to get to know X1 better. Just trying to see the silver lining in an otherwise baffling situation.

your reply and recognition has soothed me already. I will call tech support. I've been using x1 mostly. I've become accustomed to keyboard shortcuts already. and jump back and forth between x1 and 8.5 to get some of the things done that x1 finds shall we say "difficult".
I would also like to add the I'm pro cake. confirmed "cakeboi" some would say.
thanks again for replying.

Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/29 06:08:16 (permalink)
Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
]

It alarms me to a degree the amount of surprise here.

Yes, largely subsequent installs live in separate folders but there is some cross over on a new install as anyone suffering from the Sonitus Delay memory leak will testify. (yes I am aware in that case it is just a plug-in, nevertheless it will impact on both apps.)

There's at least 4 'Shared' folders that have commonality without having to probe any deeper into the installation.

Then there are the shared runtimes too, so really it does make perfect sense, to me at least.  Maybe it is worth a look in these areas of commonality for that which is giving rise to the issue here, no?
post edited by Jonbouy - 2011/01/29 06:10:12

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/29 11:28:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Another common cause of this is dialog coordinates being offscreen. If starting SONAR with Shift held down doesn't get it, here's the drill for editing the registry directly to change the coordinates:

Sometimes just going to full display resolution will make it visible if you've switched to a lower resolution at some point.
PeterMc
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 504
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/29 15:06:22 (permalink)
guitarmikeh

for me, x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. this is the second time after total reinstall.
someone please tell me this will be fixed. or how to fix this. totally frustrated, borderline on enraged.

You can also open the snap settings dialog in 8.5.3 by right clicking in the timeline and choosing "Snap Properties...". Does this do anything?

Cheers, Peter.

i5 6500, H170M, Intel HD 530, 16GB, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Win 10 Pro (1803) (64 bit), Cakewalk by Bandlab

guitarmikeh
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/29 15:36:13 (permalink)
PeterMc

guitarmikeh

You can also open the snap settings dialog in 8.5.3 by right clicking in the timeline and choosing "Snap Properties...". Does this do anything?

Cheers, Peter.
I get the same as if I clicked the down arrow, nothing, no dialogue.
thanks trying to help.

brundlefly

Shift+click (re-personalize) did not fix the issue.
thanks for trying to help.

I'm going to try the registry snap dialog thing next.  the link you provided looks promising.

I went to try on my laptop which had X1 and still has 8.5 and I got the same issue with it. no drop down dialogue for snap to grid.
baffles me.

I appreciate all the advice and help. thanks guys. I think this is one for tech support. I haven't had to call tech support ever. Since buying Sonar 4. (what is that? like almost 6 years?) I've always figured out if it was user error/ eccentricity of sonar.

thanks again.
post edited by guitarmikeh - 2011/01/29 15:41:06

guitarmikeh
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/31 06:19:43 (permalink)
brundlefly

thanks  so so much. this fixed the snap dialog issue.

Jonbouy
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/31 06:40:56 (permalink)

So much for Seth's implication that subsequent installs impacting on previous ones being a 'bizarre' scenario due to the separate install locations and registry entries.

Glad you got it fixed.

The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/31 07:07:57 (permalink)
So the snap dialog coordinates are all shared on that single registry key?

I may start shopping for a Mac.  ;-)

The Maillard Reaction
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/31 07:07:57 (permalink)
triple post

The Maillard Reaction
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/31 07:08:22 (permalink)
double post

guitarmikeh
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/31 07:25:39 (permalink)
Jonbouy

So much for Seth's implication that subsequent installs impacting on previous ones being a 'bizarre' scenario due to the separate install locations and registry entries.

Glad you got it fixed.

trouble trying to reply...server down..
Im glad it's fixed too.

However I will caulk this up to "user error. " I did switch to one monitor and in my fervor  I forgot to mention it. I feel pretty stupid right now. however it doesnt negate the many other issues like having plug ins try to reauthorize multiple times or audio snap or crackling during use of pro channel or fit to improve or midi notes not playing or groove clip looping, or losing track templates. but i digress

my first reply was much more witty. if that's at all possible still feeling stupid though.

Jonbouy
Re:x1 screws snap to grid drop down menu in 8.5. does someone know a fix, how this happens 2011/01/31 14:55:21 (permalink)
mike_mccue

So the snap dialog coordinates are all shared on that single registry key?

I may start shopping for a Mac.  ;-)

No that was Version 6's registry key it can't possibly affect other installations...

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1