z3ta+ 1.5 folder structure Technical Notes

Author
René
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1103
2007/03/22 07:24:47 (permalink)

z3ta+ 1.5 folder structure Technical Notes

z3ta+ 1.5 has changed the folder structure, it now follows the Windows Vista paradigm (actually proposed in Windows XP, now just stronger). You'll find details about it in the Release Notes.

We have left a 'backhole' on it though. On Startup, z3ta+ will first check if it can find all its folders, one by one, where the dll is. If it can't find those, then it'll proceed to load everything from the installation folder.

So let's say you installed z3ta+ 1.5 in C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\z3ta+, the default floder, then as a result you'll have

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\z3ta+\z3ta+.dll
C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\z3ta+\z3ta+.exe
C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\z3ta+\Arpeggios\
C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\z3ta+\Documentation\
C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\z3ta+\Resources\
C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\z3ta+\Tunings\
C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\z3ta+\Wavetables

And:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\z3ta+\MIDI Arpeggios\
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\z3ta+\MIDI Learn\
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\z3ta+\Programs\

The first part, under installation folder is the read-only, 'Factory' data, while the second part is the 'User' data (the one you need to backup).

Using the backhole, ou can override this just placing all subfolders where z3ta+ is installed. So you could do:

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\z3ta+\MIDI Arpeggios\
C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\z3ta+\MIDI Learn\
C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\z3ta+\Programs\

Then, if you copy the z3ta+ folder somewhere else, you can replace the skin/wavetable folders and have multiple z3ta+ 1.5 installations with different skins as VST (NOTE: This depends on your host, as some hosts don't like having multiple VST dll files with same internal opcode).

Happy mod'ing

5 Replies Related Threads

elezdyzer
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: z3ta+ 1.5 folder structure Technical Notes 2007/03/27 05:00:04 (permalink)
    I used your backhole but Z3ta doesn't seem to use the Programs folder, I have to load it manually ... not a bit issue, just a little bit annoying ...

Just to let you know ....
    lightninrick
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    RE: z3ta+ 1.5 folder structure Technical Notes 2008/08/24 10:10:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: René

z3ta+ 1.5 has changed the folder structure, it now follows the Windows Vista paradigm (actually proposed in Windows XP, now just stronger). You'll find details about it in the Release Notes.

We have left a 'backhole' on it though. On Startup, z3ta+ will first check if it can find all its folders, one by one, where the dll is. If it can't find those, then it'll proceed to load everything from the installation folder.

So let's say you installed z3ta+ 1.5 in C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\z3ta+, the default floder, then as a result you'll have

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\z3ta+\z3ta+.exe

And:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\z3ta+\MIDI Arpeggios\
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\z3ta+\MIDI Learn\
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\z3ta+\Programs\

The first part, under installation folder is the read-only, 'Factory' data, while the second part is the 'User' data (the one you need to backup).

Using the backhole, ou can override this just placing all subfolders where z3ta+ is installed. So you could do:

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\z3ta+\MIDI Arpeggios\
    C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\z3ta+\MIDI Learn\
    C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\z3ta+\Programs\

Then, if you copy the z3ta+ folder somewhere else, you can replace the skin/wavetable folders and have multiple z3ta+ 1.5 installations with different skins as VST (NOTE: This depends on your host, as some hosts don't like having multiple VST dll files with same internal opcode).

Rene, I get all of this except the last part. I see that I can move all of the subfolders from the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\z3ta+ folder to C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\z3ta+\. But how does that let me "copy the z3ta+ folder somewhere else" and "replace the skin/wavetable folders and have multiple z3ta+ 1.5 installations with different skins as VST", if everytime an instance of z3ta+ is started up, it will look to the same C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\z3ta+ directory for startup info?

thanks, lightninrick
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: z3ta+ 1.5 folder structure Technical Notes 2008/08/24 21:26:29 (permalink)
    I've been experimenting with Z3TA+ quite a bit lately. Does the mod you posted fix some performance problems? I'm using 1.5.3. with a Roland GI-20 guitar interface and there are some weird behaviors occurring. I'm trying to build my own sound by busting one of the presets down to a blank state and then adding the many osc, lfo, and etc. functions.I've tryed numerous settings and paths in the matrix but I keep getting a swell effect on notes I do not stop before the swell reaches maximum and the swell cannot be stopped once it reaches a certain point in the swell. Not all presets do this.
    Connected problem?

Craig DuBuc
    sarcazm
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: z3ta+ 1.5 folder structure Technical Notes 2008/08/26 07:58:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Crg

I've been experimenting with Z3TA+ quite a bit lately. Does the mod you posted fix some performance problems? I'm using 1.5.3. with a Roland GI-20 guitar interface and there are some weird behaviors occurring. I'm trying to build my own sound by busting one of the presets down to a blank state and then adding the many osc, lfo, and etc. functions.I've tryed numerous settings and paths in the matrix but I keep getting a swell effect on notes I do not stop before the swell reaches maximum and the swell cannot be stopped once it reaches a certain point in the swell. Not all presets do this.
    Connected problem?

Quick question:

Does this also occur if you have the effects off (R-click on the effects tab). If no, then the problem may lie with the feedback setting in the delay effect.
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: z3ta+ 1.5 folder structure Technical Notes 2008/08/27 17:19:17 (permalink)
    Yes it happens with no effects, no delay, thus no feedback. I'm beginning to suspect it's a soft retriggering of the original note,or it might be the "play effect tails" feature in audio-global properties. My next step is to disable that. Or it might be that particular Saw wave is just made to do that. Still experimenting.

Craig DuBuc
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1