z3ta+ question

Author
mintakaX
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
2006/11/21 18:19:01 (permalink)

z3ta+ question

If I have an osc in z3ta+ set to multi, the phase slider controls the detuning. Can I modulate this with an lfo ? If so, what do I pick for the destination ? I've figured out how to modulate many other parameters, but this one has me stumped.
Thanks,
Dan

4 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: z3ta+ question 2006/11/21 19:41:17 (permalink)
    an osc in z3ta+ set to multi, the phase slider controls the detuning. Can I modulate this with an lfo ?
    Wow, Dan. You're moving quickly in your synth explorations. This isn't quite the same thing, but you'll get an equivalent result.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Set two oscillators to Normal and Add instead; each with the Wave of your choice. Set up LFO5 to a relatively slow Speed with Wave 1 of your choice. Edit: Don't forget to try moving the LFO "center" with the Offset slider. In the Modulation Matrix, set up a slot like this:

Source: LFO5
    Range: variable (maximum to start)
    Curve: Pitch 1S (shallower) or Pitch 1W (deeper)
    Control: n/a
    Destination: Osc 2 Pitch

This will vary the second oscillator's pitch by one or two semitones (with maximum Range), and effectively detunes it as compared to Osc 1. You can add more oscillators in a similar manner. It's going to use more CPU resources than the internal Multi setup.

One more way, if you have an outside cyclical source of MIDI. [I use Frank's MIDI Plugins' Rhythmic Controller, Cake's SpectralFX, or Petertools' LiveSet. You can also draw smooth curves in your host's automation, to simulate an LFO.]

Go to your host's exposed DX Automation parameters. It'll be in the Track Inspector of a Cakewalk product. You'll find Osc1 Phase as one of the assignable parameters. Usually a right-click will bring up MIDI Remote Control. Bind a MIDI message (for example Mod Wheel CC1) to the Osc1 Phase control. In your "cyclical" application (or automation), have the curve output a CC1 message. You set the rate and depth of control in the outside app, and point it to the Osc1 Phase control in z3ta+.
    post edited by b rock - 2006/11/21 20:28:35
    mintakaX
    RE: z3ta+ question 2006/11/21 23:54:26 (permalink)
    Thanks alot brock--- I see how this gives a similar effect and it is the sound I was after, admittedly just for the sake of exploration!. Sounds kind of cool with 1S as the pitch curve. Also, thanks for the offset tip. I dont have an outside source so I'll have to wait to try your alternate approach.
    Thanks again,
    Dan
    fr4ncesco
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: z3ta+ question 2006/11/22 04:58:06 (permalink)
    I modulate the hidden controls (eg. EG, waveshaper, phase) with EnergyXT
    it's a nice solution - although not the most immediate - allowing a lot of flexibility

by this time it's part of my workflow, as I documented also in Simon's book

post edited by fr4ncesco - 2006/11/22 05:19:03
    mintakaX
    RE: z3ta+ question 2006/11/22 12:35:59 (permalink)
    Thanks fr4ncesco, I'll check it out---I havent got to that part in the book yet...but soon.
    dan
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1