z3ta+ question

Author
Flabbe
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2006/11/27 00:34:32 (permalink)

z3ta+ question

Hi everyone.

I have a challenge with z3ta+. I am using the "Gods Groove Lead" for a tune, it is a 4 beat arpeggio. At one special part of the song I am only interested in the last two beats of that arpeggio, but can't find a way to get it to play only those last to beats. What I have to do is record the complete arpeggio to an audofile, and then cut off the first two beats of that audiofile, and then place the remaining audio where I want that part of the arpeggio to play.

I find this a not so very smart way of working, course if I later want to adjust some parameters in the z3ta+ for that Gods Groove Lead, then those adjustments will ofcourse not show up in the audiofile, and I will have to record a new audiofile to have the changes in the sound reflected there too.

So my question is: Is there a way to extract the MIDI from Gods Grove Lead arpeggio in z3ta+, and put that into a track, so I can edit the midi events as I want to, so I can order and reorder the events(notes) in the arpeggio directly in the track?

6 Replies Related Threads

René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: z3ta+ question 2006/11/27 11:50:29 (permalink)
    There isn't. Most arpeggio patterns are trivial though, shouldn't take you much to sequence it.

-René
    Mycranium
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 152
    RE: z3ta+ question 2006/11/27 12:24:35 (permalink)
    What app are you sequencing in? Maybe you could use clip automation to silence the clip until you want to hear it, then raise the level. In P5 you can do this right in the pattern, so it will be there for every instance of the pattern you use.

-M

Win8.1 x64
    Intel I7 4770K
    32GB RAM
    Asus Maximus VI Formula mobo
    Asus GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 video card
    MOTU Ultralite
    E-MU Xboard 49
    M-Audio Studiophile BX5 Monitors
    Sonar X3 Platinum, Dim Pro, Rapture, GPO, JABB, Z3TA+ 2
    Logitech T630 touch mouse
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: z3ta+ question 2006/11/27 15:48:27 (permalink)
    'Course, I had to make this into something non-trivial. Most people eat during their lunch breaks.

This was an interesting challenge. I can't guarantee that I nailed all of the intervals/octaves, Flabbe, but I threw something together for download [here: Z3ta RP133.zip]. If you don't have (or don't want) access to the Project5.com download section, just PM me, and we'll work something out.

The .zip file has the original z3ta+ program with the arp disabled, with a .mid and .ptn approximation of the arp. You'll be able to use one of these in most any host. It's all in sub-folders, with a short Read Me text file attached. This should get you started towards reverse-engineering them yourself.

I couldn't leave well enough alone, though. I tossed in two Rapture patches as well; just to see how close that I could come. One uses the same MIDI/pattern files as an 'arpeggiator'. The other one is self-contained; using step generators towards the same end. This second one got 'jazzed up' a bit. You personally might not have the need for the Rapture diversions, but while I was at it ...
    Flabbe
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: z3ta+ question 2006/11/27 20:40:09 (permalink)
    Tanks a lot everyone

Mycranium, I am using Cubase, but guess it will be the same challenge for any sequencer.

b rock, THANKS A LOT, impressive that you have done so much work to help me. I have just registered at Project5 too, and downloade your files and will start working to learn what you have made. I am very thankful for your help. I did not know of the Project5 website either, so thanks a lot for that link, I am already going nuts in the downloadsection over there :-)
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: z3ta+ question 2006/11/27 22:40:42 (permalink)
    Don't forget to check out the Project5 Wiki for good info and tips, too.

-Techead
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: z3ta+ question 2006/11/28 12:40:08 (permalink)
    One thing that I neglected to mention, Flabbe: In the .mid/.ptn files, I processed the overall shape of the note velocities into a V (from 127 to 16, and back again, if I recall correctly). That was the easy way out to match the fading signature of the original arpeggiator. If you're only going to use the 'back half', you'll get a fade-in on each repetition. If you want to adjust this, look to the notes' velocities for a solution.

When you try sequencing the arps yourself, it's a good idea to simplify the patch as much as possible. Slow your host tempo way down, and right-click on the Effects button (temporarily disabling them). Knock out the Modulation Matrix slots one at a time. This particular z3ta+ patch is a bit unique, in that it's transposed up a semitone. In the fourth slot, LFO1 effectively shifts it back down to pitch. Watch for potential trip-ups such as that.
    post edited by b rock - 2006/11/28 13:18:00
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1