2010 tied for Earth's warmest year on record

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:2010 tied for Earth's warmest year on record 2011/01/25 21:19:54 (permalink)
surely nobody would argue that if a few thousand thermo-nuclear devices were detonated tomorrow it would have no effect on our climate.

So The CHB has to stop releasing songs then?

What if I change from Am to Amaj?

Will that help?

gamblerschoice
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3226
Re:2010 tied for Earth's warmest year on record 2011/01/25 21:24:11 (permalink)
Let's not get into an argument over wiki info. Truth is, if the link at the bottom of the third page of a source that is suspect is the ultimate proof of the info, then the suggestion to the professor is to "do your homework", well my time has a higher value. And I will continue to ignore wiki links.

Strummy, going from the idea of using nuclear power for clean electricity to thermo nuclear warfare is a bit of a stretch, but not surprising. After all, the only acceptable answer today is wind and solar, no matter the practicallities.

I see this thread starting the circle of the drain, no new information, no new ideas, just old politics.

Later
Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
lonesome road back home.
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re:2010 tied for Earth's warmest year on record 2011/01/25 23:00:46 (permalink)
as it is obvious to see where you stand on the matter, no matter what, albert.

you're right, once people stand determined to not understand, it's time to call it a day.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:2010 tied for Earth's warmest year on record 2011/01/26 05:49:02 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK

Crg

Please be aware that we as a planet and we as a solar system are both moving through space at a fast clip. We are not just parked in the vacumn going round and round and round. Many of the climatic and world encompassing events we have encountered over time are due to new encounters along the path of our  movement through space as a solar system, not as a planet moving around the sun. History does repeat itself climaticly on a smaller local level, but there are world and solar system wide occurences of climatic change that occur due to what we run into while the entire solar system moves through space.

I respectfully suggest that this is complete bunkum Craig.

I believe that the old 'passing star' theories of the origins of the planetary system we inhabit have pretty much been dropped by the astronomical community.

And any other extra-solar system objects large enough and close enough to be capable of having any serious effect on planet earth are extremely statistically unlikely.

Objects considered part of our solar system (i.e. bound by the gravitational attraction of the sun) such as those in the Kuiper Belt and the even more distant Oort Cloud, as well as the various asteroids and debris moving about in our general orbital locality, are definitely, given the right circumstances, much more likely to have a direct effect on our planet.

These encounters would more likely be catastrophic instead of gradual, and the effects on climate much more likely than some influence from beyond our system - the much theorised meteorite impact that presaged the decline of the dinosaurs would be a good example.

Truth is, for the whole history of planet earth, the sun has in some way been responsible for most of the climate and changes therein. The changes in the atmosphere following the evolution of plants containing chlorophyll were truly enormous, but obviously directly resultant on these plants 'selecting' for the wavelengths of light favourable to allow photosynthesis to begin, and the resulting increase of oxygen in the atmosphere.

I'm afraid that anyone who doubts that mankind is having an effect on our atmosphere and that this is linked to global climate change is sadly misguided.

Probably the same people who thought atomic power was the 'clean' answer to our future fuel needs once fossil fuels run out. Although a non-sequitor, surely nobody would argue that if a few thousand thermo-nuclear devices were detonated tomorrow it would have no effect on our climate.

Sorry to be so boring

Not boring at all. While the Sun is the most powerful force locally to the earth, even the Sun is influenced by forces outside of the solar system. The outer edges of our solar system are bound to the Sun and whatever effects the outer edges also effects the Sun in whatever small or large way. It doesn't have to be a big rock. Solar winds, regions of space with their own "magnetic" force. The Milky Way is a large mass of objects seemingly bound together in some cohesive way, certainly with magnetic regions we have not encountered. Perhaps the word objects is not proper. Phenomena? We will certainly find out in the years to come what is bunk and what is not.
I hope you're right.

Craig DuBuc
gamblerschoice
Re:2010 tied for Earth's warmest year on record 2011/01/26 15:46:57 (permalink)
Sorry, ran across this and couldn't resist. So, this is a bold solution...anyone think we should impliment it?

HEAT OF THE MOMENT

Killing 40 million people? Now, that's green!

Genghis Khan hailed as environmentalist for 'scrubbing' humanity's carbon footprint

Posted: January 25, 2011
7:08 pm Eastern

By Drew Zahn
© 2011 WorldNetDaily  
Who knew that killing 40 million people could be hailed as having a "positive" effect on global warming?
Apparently, whether he knew it or not, Genghis Khan's invasions of the 13th and 14th centuries were so sweeping, it "may have been the first instance in history of a single culture causing man-made climate change," marvels enviro-journalist Bryan Nelson.
The mass slaughter, Nelson writes in a Mother Nature Network report, was actually able to cool the environment by "effectively scrubbing around 700 million tons of carbon from the atmosphere."
The research on Khan's net effect on the environment was first published in the climate-change journal The Holocene, prompting Nelson to pen his article titled "Was Genghis Khan History's Greenest Conqueror?"
"So how exactly did Genghis Khan, one of history's cruelest conquerors, earn such a glowing environmental report card?" Nelson writes. "The reality may be a bit difficult for today's environmentalists to stomach, but Khan did it the same way he built his empire – with a high body count."
"Over the course of the century and a half run of the Mongol Empire," Nelson explains, "about 22 percent of the world's total land area had been conquered and an estimated 40 million people were slaughtered by the horse-driven, bow-wielding hordes. Depopulation over such a large swathe of land meant that countless numbers of cultivated fields eventually returned to forests.
"In other words," Nelson concludes, "one effect of Genghis Khan's unrelenting invasion was widespread reforestation, and the re-growth of those forests meant that more carbon could be absorbed from the atmosphere."
Julia Pongratz of the Carnegie Institution's Department of Global Ecology was lead author of the study into Khan's environmental impact.
"It's a common misconception that the human impact on climate began with the large-scale burning of coal and oil in the industrial era," said Pongratz in a statement. "Actually, humans started to influence the environment thousands of years ago by changing the vegetation cover of the Earth's landscapes when we cleared forests for agriculture."
Pongratz and her colleagues focused their study on four historical events that she theorized could have killed enough people to make room for massive reforestation: the Black Death in Europe, the fall of China's Ming Dynasty, the conquest of the Americas and the Mongol invasion.
"We found that during the short events such as the Black Death and the Ming Dynasty collapse, the forest re-growth wasn't enough to overcome the emissions from decaying material in the soil," explains Pongratz. "But during the longer-lasting ones like the Mongol invasion and the conquest of the Americas, there was enough time for the forests to re-grow and absorb significant amounts of carbon."
The research has already been reported widely, not only on Mother Nature News, but also in newspapers around the world and on conservationist websites like Mongabay and Planetsave, the latter of which hailed Khan as "an environmentalist."
Reader comments on the stories, however, have blasted Nelson and others for celebrating in the name of climate change a man whose hordes killed an estimated 40 million people.
"I am a liberal," claims one Mother Nature News reader, "[but] praising Genghis Khan for his impact on the environment is … insane."
"Anyone who doubts that environmentalists are the most anti-human group in the world, think about this," scathes a comment from another reader. "Their admiration for a first-class murderer ought to tell humans just what their game is – no morality, just reduce carbon and exterminate human life."
Columnists and commentators aside, the researchers behind the study claim their research is relevant to today's climate controversies, but left specific application of their findings somewhat vague.
"In the past we have had a substantial impact on global climate and the carbon cycle, but it was all unintentional," explains Pongratz. "Based on the knowledge we have gained from the past, we are now in a position to make land-use decisions that will diminish our impact on climate and the carbon cycle. We cannot ignore the knowledge we have gained."

Read more: Killing 40 million people? Now, that's green! [link=http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=255473#ixzz1CAtQA31G</a>]http://www.wnd.com/?pageI...xzz1CAtQA31G</a>

Later
Albert
post edited by gamblerschoice - 2011/01/26 15:49:49

lonesome road back home.
Crg
Re:2010 tied for Earth's warmest year on record 2011/01/26 18:26:00 (permalink)
If an ice age is coming, do you want the planet warmer or colder?

Craig DuBuc
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:2010 tied for Earth's warmest year on record 2011/01/26 18:27:08 (permalink)
Crg

I want a boatload of tea bags.

Crg
Re:2010 tied for Earth's warmest year on record 2011/01/26 18:30:11 (permalink)
bapu

Crg

I want a boatload of tea bags.

I want a hydrogen fuel cell that runs on water and a generator.

Craig DuBuc
Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:2010 tied for Earth's warmest year on record 2011/01/26 19:16:11 (permalink)
post edited by Bub - 2011/01/26 21:40:49

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
gamblerschoice
Re:2010 tied for Earth's warmest year on record 2011/01/26 21:25:22 (permalink)
Hope I'm not one who you refer to, Bub. In truth, I'm just tryin' to have some fun...

Later
Albert

lonesome road back home.
Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:2010 tied for Earth's warmest year on record 2011/01/26 21:46:18 (permalink)
I don't even know Albert. I'm in a foul mood tonight and shouldn't even be lurking around here on the forums. I just went in and edited out my stupidity.

Been trying to get X1 running and it just ain't happening and I'm about ready to open the window in my office and throw my PC out in to the snow and go get my Tascam 8-track out of the basement.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1