50 albums that changed the face of music

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/25 22:53:40 (permalink)
So glad to see that most of my personnal choice did not make it in a list that places the Spice Girls before Hendrix and Sabbath - by the way, they might have been HUGE in the UK, they could have outsold Elvis+The Beatles+Celine Dion altogether in the UK, but we're talking about "influential" here... Albums that managed to attract a relatively large audience AND have an impact. E.G. Led Zeppelin I and II - Who'd ever heard drums so loud before? Considering how drums/percussions tend to be at the forefront of many if not most forms of actual pop music...

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Guitarpima
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4125
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/25 23:01:52 (permalink)
I thought the list was an EXTREMELY narrow viewpoint of who changed the face of music. All listed pale in comparison to J.S. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Chopin, Brahms, Stravinsky, Tchiakowsky, Schönberg, Bartok and Rameaux. These are just a few. Also, all of the 50 listed (put together) did not write enough music to even scratch the surface of what J.S. Bach wrote. And before anyone says they did not make any albums, they're albums were hand written manuscript.
I do like a lot of those listed on the list though.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
Rev. Jem
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1723
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/25 23:24:04 (permalink)
General reply:

I always assume the main purpose of a list such as this to be to provoke discussion. There's always fun to be had when a sentence starts with "I can't believe they didn't include..."

I now own the 3 "classic" books in this field: "1001 Movies/Albums/Books You Must See/Hear/Read Before You Die". Just hand one to a guest & wait for the reaction or, as it used to say on fireworks' labels, "Light blue touch paper & retire".

Greybeard
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 271
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/25 23:34:23 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: j boy

The *long-player* LP album format didn't really become significant until the late 60's. Before that, the 45 RPM single was king. "Hound Dog"... "Louie Louie"... "She Loves You"... "Satisfaction"... "Like a Rolling Stone"... the impact of these singles was arguably much greater than albums at that particular era.

Good point. And speaking of "Satisfaction", couldn't these bizarro-planet listmakers have made some small bow the band that mined some of the best American blues and R&B, wrote some of the best rock songs ever and played it all with unparalled insouciance--The Rolling Stones? Exile on main Street for example?
Steve Mac
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 730
RE: Top 50 albums of all times list 2006/07/25 23:53:49 (permalink)

quote:

4 NWA
Straight Outta Compton (1989)

"Without this ... no Eminem, no 50 Cent, no Dizzee Rascal"

..if only

Say it brother! (But I'm with you on this one).

Steve McNamara ~~ SignatureTunes Studios~~SoundClick

Rednroll
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 537
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/25 23:54:44 (permalink)
Well, I own about 500 albums. The strange part for me is that I don't own any of those 50. No wonder my musical taste hasn't changed much in the 25 years I've been purchasing albums. I think my first album I purchased when I was 11 years old was AC/DC's Back In Black and I'm still listening to AC/DC today. Maybe I should pick up that Spice Girls CD some day, so my taste can change like that list of albums has changed music.
sms
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/26 01:07:06 (permalink)
Well, I might as well bite.

Number 1: Electric Ladyland. I've been listening to it for over 20 years and it's still fresh, mind-boggling, and still way ahead of just about anything produced in the subsequent 38 years.

But more than any individual album, I think it's Hendrix as a whole that changed the face of contemporary music more than anyone. Ever wonder why everyone from The Who, Tull and the Stones to The Beatles and Cream were doing insipid R&B rip-offs or gooey teeny-bopper pop ("I want to hold your ha-a-and!") at the beginning of their careers and then BAM! --they all had this paradigm-smashing epiphany and their music changed radically.

That would be Jimi's hand at work. Only a bloody Martian could have done what he did!

If only someone would have broken Noel Reddings hands before "Little Miss Strange" was recorded...

Come and visit the Sonar Wiki! And contribute your own experience and knowledge while you're there!
Susan G
  • Total Posts : 12016
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/26 01:28:22 (permalink)
Hi Robert-
I thought the list was an EXTREMELY narrow viewpoint of who changed the face of music.

I think so, too. I'm guessing they just meant "Who has recorded an influential album in the past few decades?"

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
RAR
  • Total Posts : 286
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/26 01:58:22 (permalink)
WTF

I know a room full of musical tunes.
Some rhyme, some ching, most of them are clockwork.
Let's go into the other room and make them work.
-Barret
Susan G
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/26 02:08:24 (permalink)
Hi Bob-
ORIGINAL: RAR

WTF

I don't understand the question, comment, or statement!

-Susan

RAR
  • Total Posts : 286
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/26 02:24:17 (permalink)
About the worthless list.

I know a room full of musical tunes.
Some rhyme, some ching, most of them are clockwork.
Let's go into the other room and make them work.
-Barret
Susan G
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/26 03:03:11 (permalink)
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

-Susan

Theunis
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/27 03:24:54 (permalink)
Okay, everybody has their own idea of which albums changed the face of music as a whole. But we're all musicians here, right? So make a list of the albums that changed the face of YOUR music. i.e, the albums that inspire you most.

Mine:

1. Erasure - Chorus
2. ABBA - The Visitors
3. Jean Michel Jarre - Chronologie

parkebr
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/27 04:05:43 (permalink)
The Guardian also has a discussion about the list at Charting albums of influence.

I think the posters have covered most of the albums in the last few decades

Brian
kreeper_6
  • Total Posts : 270
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/27 04:07:28 (permalink)
the crystal method - "Vegas"
zungle
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2745
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/27 04:56:35 (permalink)
I love these judgement calls. Subjective lists are fun. I can only see anything that brings music to discussion as a good thing.

From My personal Rock perspective, I'd like to throw a couple of Band/Albums in the hat.

Nothing to serious just a few quick thoughts. More market influence than pioneering.

BlackSabbath .....Paranoid.....Birth or acceptance of metal in the mainstream.

Carol King....... Tapestry......Dominate women pop star ...up with the bigboys.

Alice Cooper and Kiss.....Brought in the props added another dimension, and in general raised the bar for all live acts.

Styx.......Grand Illusion...........in general birth of commercial pre-meditated corporate rock. Their formula was copied by many an 80's act.

Cars..... The album "The Cars " an early intro to New Wave Music (to the mainstream)

Boston.........1st album" Boston" took rock recording to new heights, right out of Scholtz's basement studio.

VanHalen ....VanHalen 1.......in general one of the most influential American rock acts of all time..... 1st Eddy laid out a new guitar style that is still attempted , but never duplicated,( to this very day). 2nd laid the model for LA hair bands.

Metallica....Ride the Lightning and Kill'em all. Took metal to a new level , laid ground for Nu-metal,The band fought for musicians rights, all while maintaining a top 10 grossing $ act status for a decade.

Alanis Morrisette.....Jagged Pill....... Harnessed scorn,rage,bitterness into a multi-platinum jem. Spurred on a whole nother mainstream style of female pop star not seen since Joplin,Smith and King.

Oh well just thoughts.......
post edited by zungle - 2006/07/27 14:06:47
Mooch4056
Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7494
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/27 11:14:50 (permalink)
I can not for the life of me belive the monkeys arn't on that list --- they changed summin' thats for sure ........... like the age old question...... are they really playing their instruments? aka milli vanilia----? is that britanny spears singing or da computer? ahhhh crap -- i guess this is off tpoic -- but the more i hear that girl talk.... da stoopider whe sounds
post edited by Mooch4056 - 2006/07/27 11:26:39

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

jungfriend
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 746
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/27 16:53:56 (permalink)
I think that's a good idea since the definition of influential appears difficult to nail down for the authors of the list. I was thinking about it myself, and of course there are both good influences and bad influences, and though there are plenty of artists that measure their success in sales, I believe it is more important to accomplish something artistically, and then hope that others will appreciate it. Here goes:

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame
Yes - The Yes Album
Peter Gabriel - Melt
Genesis - Foxtrot/Nursery Crymes (they were bundled as a two album set in the import section when I got them)
Paul Simon - Graceland
Sting - Nothing Like the Sun
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
Crosy, Stills, and Nash - Self-titled
Weather Report - Black Market
Opa - Goldenwings
Antonio Carlos Jobim - Wave
Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
George Benson - Breezin'
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Allman Brothers - Live at Filmore East
BB King - Live at the Regal
Robben Ford - Talk to Your Daughter
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
Vince Guaraldi - A Charlie Brown Christmas
Bola Sete - Tour de Force
Danny Gatton - 88 Elmira St.
Cream - Disraeli Gears
Gary Moore - Still Got the Blues
Vincenzo Macaluso - The 10-string Guitar Interprets the French Classics
Santana - Abraxas
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Texas Flood
Pat Metheny - Still Life (Talking)
Les McCann and Eddie Harris - Swiss Movement
Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow
Return to Forever - Where Have I Known You Before
Charlie Byrd - Brazilian Byrd
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page - Walking Into Clarksdale
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Derek and the Dominoes - Layla and other Love Songs
Van Morrison - Moondance
The Cars - Panorama
The Dixie Dregs - Dregs of the Earth
Los Lonely Boys - Self-Titled

I'll stop now...sorry if I bored you, but it did bring back lots of good memories for me.

Paul

Sonar X2 PE, ADK Core i7 920 3.6ghz 12gb, UAD-2 Quad,  2x20"+2x19" LCDs, Focal CMS 50, POD HD500, Layla 3G, PoCo mkII PCI-e, Tranzport, Edirol M-16DX, Remote SL61, Mackie MCU, NI Kore 2, NI Komplete, NI Maschine, etc.
gnie
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 776
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/27 23:51:50 (permalink)
Forget the rankings.
Their justifications for each album are legit enough.

attalus
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1687
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/28 00:34:42 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: affuman

What about Isley brothers, i hear bits of their music in maaaaaany artists music.

You are soooo right! How could I forget them? Anyone who can have a music career spanning over 40 years should have been mentioned.

thanks to you, I can't get the song "Groove with you" out of my head...

choosy lover, voyage to atlantis, footsteps in the dark,embetween the sheets, etc - man their music was potently good and has me meditating deeply in it when i hear it.
There is much evidence of their influence for many have used their music from tupoc to the Beattles, but sadly to say if you look at all the greats in music history even the Great Isleybrothers may not make the top 50 list if one could produce it accurately, i mentioned their name because they are definetly far worthier then some who made the inaccurate list we viewed. But to the authors of the list credit i believe the list to be ok tho very innaccurate because it had some good picks and a diverse selection of greats from many genres, reflected the views of many not just one individual and lastly because also i don't believe anyone can make a list that is accurate, for there are only a handful of artists that hit this world so hard that their accomplishments is incontrovertable to the majority; but the other 45 or so names to go on the list would be debated with a passion. But its often fun to debate it and it is good to acknowledge the accomplishments of many of musics greats.Composing such a list and discussing our personal favorites who influenced us is homage payed.
post edited by attalus - 2006/07/28 16:44:56
OldGeezer
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/28 00:42:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sms

Well, I might as well bite.

Number 1: Electric Ladyland. I've been listening to it for over 20 years and it's still fresh, mind-boggling, and still way ahead of just about anything produced in the subsequent 38 years.

But more than any individual album, I think it's Hendrix as a whole that changed the face of contemporary music more than anyone.

Hendrix is one of my favorite guitarists, but that one gay tune he put out was a little over-the top for me.
sms
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/28 09:26:57 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: affuman

What about Isley brothers, i hear bits of their music in maaaaaany artists music.

A-ha! And guess who played guitar for them for a while?

Jimi.

Really, not to belabor the point, but if you listen to his last year of live recordings (especially the FOUR shows at the Fillmore from which Band of Gypsys was culled) you can hear perpaps the first soul-metal and the first proto-funk, to cite a few things.

Coup de grace: Imagine another couple years of "I wanna hold your ha-a-and"... or of Clapton trying to channel the spirit of Robert Johnson.

I rest my case.

(Going to the other extreme: the last 30 seconds of "Bold as Love" inevitably put in in a state of ecstasy...).

Come and visit the Sonar Wiki! And contribute your own experience and knowledge while you're there!
cheesesteak
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/28 10:00:30 (permalink)
You can't have Herbie Hancock's Head Hunters without having Miles Davis' ****es Brew. That album was the trunk of the jazz-fusion tree.

Also, Grover Washington's Mister Magic album. For better or worse, that album spawned the smooth jazz movement.

And don't forget the Stan Getz "Girl From Ipanema" album - Getz/Gilberto. That album introduced Brazilian music to the American masses.
gnie
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 776
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/28 14:23:52 (permalink)
Hendrix and Miles were jamming near the end. Imagine where that might have gone.
calaverasgrandes
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1454
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/28 14:49:33 (permalink)
I have to agree with you about the serious music composers. Shonberg was reviled by classisists of his day, but it is impossible to see a modern motion picture without hearing his influence. Berg, Bartok and Webern to a lesser extent as I see them as influenced by Schonberg. But definetly Stravinsky!
The original list itself seems to be poorly thought out. Elvis, but no Carl Perkins? No Ray Charles? Kate Bush? Okay maybe Tori Amos was influenced by her, maybe, but it is not as if Kate bush was the first female singer songwriter. That would be dismissing Carly Simon, Patty Smith, Stevie Nicks, Nico, Bette Midler, Barbara Streisand etc, I mean shucks, I guess Kate Bush may be the first annoyingly british female singer songwriter, but how many people outside of britain have even heard of her?
+1 to Metalica!
Sure they are a weak remnant of their former glory now, but all of the current grunge metal modern rock bands draw influence from them (and Van Halen). Slayer should be in there, and even to some extent Iron Maiden. And how about Lynrd Skynrd?

Isley Brothers, YES! I saw a retrospective of them a while back on BET I think. i had no idea that they wrote so many of those songs! Modern R&B and soul pretty much is the legacy of The Isleys.

post edited by calaverasgrandes - 2006/07/28 15:44:07

Sonar 7.0.3, Mattel Synsonics, Motu 828MKII (BLA), TC-powercore, Stillwell plugins, Moog MG1, Korg Poly 800, DX27s, Moogerfooger Lowpass, Ovation Magnum, Stingray fretless, Mesa Bass 400, Waldorf Edition, DBA fuzz war, Summit 2BA221, etc
OldGeezer
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/28 14:58:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: OldGeezer
Hendrix is one of my favorite guitarists, but that one gay tune he put out was a little over-the top for me.

Heh. I guess I'm the only one. Call me old-fashioned I guess. I still think it was pretty risque for that time period.
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/28 15:39:50 (permalink)
Jimmy Rodgers. The first cross over artist. Country/blues is rock.

I'm gonna shoot poor Thelma
just to see her jump and fall

"T is for Texas"

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
attalus
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/28 15:55:03 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: AT

Jimmy Rodgers. The first cross over artist. Country/blues is rock.

I'm gonna shoot poor Thelma
just to see her jump and fall

"T is for Texas"

Ray Charles is a artist who i believe have had hit records in many genres- Jazz, Blues, Country etc I'll have to check my facts but i believe he hit within top ten song list on many genres. His inspiration to 'MANY' genres was significant and i've read many artist stating his influence on them. And the lenghth of his career is amazing. plus he left the world with his last work, and movie on him being a success (he went out with a bang, and strenghthened his legacy). Finally, he used Sonar
post edited by attalus - 2006/07/28 16:33:08
attalus
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/28 16:00:53 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: calaverasgrandes

I have to agree with you about the serious music composers. Shonberg was reviled by classisists of his day, but it is impossible to see a modern motion picture without hearing his influence. Berg, Bartok and Webern to a lesser extent as I see them as influenced by Schonberg. But definetly Stravinsky!
The original list itself seems to be poorly thought out. Elvis, but no Carl Perkins? No Ray Charles? Kate Bush? Okay maybe Tori Amos was influenced by her, maybe, but it is not as if Kate bush was the first female singer songwriter. That would be dismissing Carly Simon, Patty Smith, Stevie Nicks, Nico, Bette Midler, Barbara Streisand etc, I mean shucks, I guess Kate Bush may be the first annoyingly british female singer songwriter, but how many people outside of britain have even heard of her?
+1 to Metalica!
Sure they are a weak remnant of their former glory now, but all of the current grunge metal modern rock bands draw influence from them (and Van Halen). Slayer should be in there, and even to some extent Iron Maiden. And how about Lynrd Skynrd?

Isley Brothers, YES! I saw a retrospective of them a while back on BET I think. i had no idea that they wrote so many of those songs! Modern R&B and soul pretty much is the legacy of The Isleys.

The more i read your posts the more i think you should've been the one making the "50 albums that changed the face of music" list . Truly broad knowledge and good points indeed!
post edited by attalus - 2006/07/28 16:19:09
j boy
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2729
RE: 50 albums that changed the face of music 2006/07/28 16:46:38 (permalink)

Heh. I guess I'm the only one. Call me old-fashioned I guess. I still think it was pretty risque for that time period.

Try as you might, no one's gonna bite on your joke my friend... we all know where it's going.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1