60s style production

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Cormega
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 313
2008/09/02 21:49:14 (permalink)

60s style production

I have a project coming up that is total 60s psychedelic rock. My idea is to "recreate" a 60s vibe with the recording/production. What are some decent tips, plug-ins and friendly advice? I realize panning is very important...I've been studying some classic Who and more obscure 60s bands. Those guys were all over the board back then huh? No SOP, just do what you think sounds cool kinda approach. Anyway, any tips would be appreciated. Cheers!

85 Replies Related Threads

Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/02 21:59:08 (permalink)
    Track a real band live in a good sounding room. Lately I have been doing a lot of "live in the studio stuff" and the vibe is great. I'm not saying live to 2 track but you can certainly capture the song, breathing & rocking, with a bunch of good mics and good musicians. The Hendrix recordings seem so random but others like the Who, Cream, Hollies, first Zep album, all great examples. I believe the first 2 yes albums were recorded live in the studio as well, with some vocal overdubs after the fact.

The Poodle Chews It.

kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/02 22:05:04 (permalink)
    The 60s can mean a wide range of sounds, from the Beach Boys to Led Zep, Motown to Funkadelic, Elvis to Alice Cooper. Can you be a little more specific?

One rule of thumb -- George Martin was perhaps the greatest genius of 60s techniques Sgt. Pepper is an encyclopaedia of 60's techniques, as is the White Album. Phil Spector was another -- listen to the Ronettes "Walking in the Rain". Tom Doud is yet another, at his best with the Derek & Dominoes double.

What 60s?

--kwgm
    space_cowboy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/02 22:07:59 (permalink)
    LA2A compressors, Neumann U 47 mics? 4 tracks max?

Are you going for Pictures of Matchstick Men or I Had TOo Much To Dream Last Night or Journey To The Center Of The Mind?

Are you planning on getting suppliments appropriate to the period?

There are some outstanding plug ins that do a great job of replicating the 60s. Remember that synths were rarely used - here and there but not a ton. B4s, Farfisas, Vox...

And effect selection was somewhat limited too. Ratty distortions, wah, maybe a tape echo (have to do some research there).

Flanging was done on tape. As was backwards guitar.
    post edited by space_cowboy - 2008/09/02 22:12:11

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    bunnyfluffer
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/02 22:49:14 (permalink)
    lets see - 60's style...

tube everything where possible - start w/ tube mic pre and use a large diaphragm condenser.

track everything though a compressor, again - Tube if possible.

all effects committed while tracking.

record 4 tracks, bounce to stereo mix, add 2 more tracks (total 4) bounce to stereo, repeat...

only three pan positions; Left or Center or Right

all drums in Mono

-tbf

yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/02 23:34:32 (permalink)
    And too much reverb and/or room on everything. Back then if you had it you flaunted it, baby!!

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    RockStringBender
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 416
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 00:11:10 (permalink)
    Killer post! get yer head there and the rest is just resisting the temptation of over-producing with the pre-master plugs.

Nice Job bunny!

ORIGINAL: bunnyfluffer

lets see - 60's style...

tube everything where possible - start w/ tube mic pre and use a large diaphragm condenser.

track everything though a compressor, again - Tube if possible.

all effects committed while tracking.

record 4 tracks, bounce to stereo mix, add 2 more tracks (total 4) bounce to stereo, repeat...

only three pan positions; Left or Center or Right

all drums in Mono

-tbf

I wish my lawn was emo..... then it would cut itself.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 00:33:46 (permalink)
    It's not a plug in but get a Komit compressor/limiter. Very retro sounding - or you can get that sound, anyway. The only bummer is it is about $1000 per unit - $2400 for the stereo treehouse.

If that ain't in the budget track "all at once live" as much as possible in one room - preferably a large one. At least the rhythm tracks.

But the main thing is the song writing. I just did a demo for my wife's band (Merry and the Mood Swings.com - "Reach out" should be up soon). It had a sixties vibe and the vocals reminded me of Hair. I did run everything through the Komits, but importantly, I slathered reverb on the backing vox. Then, for the penultimate chorus, I pushed the backing vocals forward and dropped the main vox down (which was simply repeating "Reach out"). Dropped the reverb on the backing vox, too. The song kinda did that naturally, I just gave it that multidimentional (pun intended) vocal stuff they used to do. And cut and pasted some ending bv so it got really thick. So, depending upon the song, try to replicate some of the techniques they used in the genré.

Best I can do for you.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 03:00:57 (permalink)
    To get an authentic 60s sound have all your takes done in mono and distorted. The more distorted the better. Also use the Isotope vinyl in abundance. If you can use only spring reverbs. Do not use a multiband of anything. Use only EQ that adds lots of distortion. IM distortion is most important. You should setup your gear so nothing above 15 khz is reproduced.

Your best bet for media distribution would be 8 track cartridge tape that will eat your work at regular intervals.
    post edited by John - 2008/09/03 03:12:31

Best
    John
    Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 03:06:09 (permalink)
    and a hard hi pass filter at 200Hz and a lo pass at 13KHZ

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

John
    Forum Host
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 03:14:36 (permalink)
    Low and high pass filters were unreliable and had a nice tendency to cut everything back then. Use them if you want that Bell sound.

Best
    John
    pgw
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 705
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 03:53:09 (permalink)
    Amps should be loud - clean sounding or not. Doesn´t matter if it´s a 5W Sears or 200W Marshall Major.

Don´t kill the room totally - ambience is a good thing !
    DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 05:49:44 (permalink)
    Here's one of my 'secrets'.

I agree with all that is said above - but I would only add - track to tape, and if the band doesn't understand the vibe, there's no plugin, outboard gear, or mic that can make it happen - are you engineer or producer? If you're producer, make sure you know how to get them to track in the fashion you hear - you'll be able to make stuff happen in post - but there are no miracles when moving tracks across decades if the players didn't get it when they performed the stuff.

Now to my little secret.... I am a fan of having my tracks sound like the band is playing live looking right at each other in the same room during tracking - logistics, sonics and schedules don't always make this possible - but I go after this in both performance and sound in spades. One of the things that I do to create that 'old 60's sound is I create a buss called 'room bleed' I put a Sonitus or equivalent reverb with a moderately short ER and EQ the thing to sound exactly like the instruments would sound if there were mic bleed in the room - I then mix that to my two buss and darn if sometimes I swear they were all in the same room during tracking - In some cases it's been so real the players couldn't remember if they tracked together or not... fun stuff.

-D

CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 07:07:22 (permalink)
    Smoke allot of pot and drop a hit of window pane and press record. ....What was the question?????
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 08:06:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cormega

I have a project coming up that is total 60s psychedelic rock. My idea is to "recreate" a 60s vibe with the recording/production.

Is this a "band" project or are you going to be overdubbing all parts?

What are some decent tips, plug-ins and friendly advice? I realize panning is very important...I've been studying some classic Who and more obscure 60s bands. Those guys were all over the board back then huh? No SOP, just do what you think sounds cool kinda approach. Anyway, any tips would be appreciated. Cheers!

Tip #1: If it's a self-contained "band" or "rhythm section" only use a "click track" (not the metronome) to establish the starting tempo and the "preroll count-in". After that, all bets are off tempo-wise...Let the band set the tempo of the song as it progresses.

If you are tracking the individual parts yourself, I would suggest using some basic MIDI drum patterns initially as a "scratch/guide" track along with a MIDI keyboard vamp or pad track to indicate chord progressions and movement changes as well as a "I know I'll be discarding this" scratch vocal. If at all possible, establish a fairly definite tempo map (including tempo variations in appropriate places) before recording any "real" audio parts.

Tip #2: Tubes. As much tube sound as you can get. This includes mics as well as preamps and instrument amps. A lot of the 60's stuff was tracked using the actual preamps of an idle tape machine being fed into the actual recording machine. Many engineers still use a similar technique going into their DAW system.

Tip #3: Keywords: Pultec, UREI/Universal Audio, API, Neve, dbx, Valley People, Drawmer, EMT, Focusrite, Eventide, Compression, Limiting, Gating, Harmonic Distortion, Actual Distortion, Unconventional use of effects such as Tremolo, Reverse Tape effects, Feedback loops, phasing/flanging, etc., etc., etc.,...There is no SOP so let the games begin!

Tip #4: As has been previously stated, some "bleed" in the "room" (actual or simulated) as it fits the project.

If this is a decent paying studio gig, I envy you! As today is my birthday and I'm reminded just how much of the 60's I actually experienced I would love to have the time to spend on such as project as the one you briefly described. Have fun!

{The EDIT}:
    If you don't have Lava Lamps, get a couple. If you don't have incense and the appropriate burners, get plenty. Some black lights and a few fluorescent posters scattered about wouldn't hurt, either. As much as possible, eschew modern amenities and immerse yourself (and those involved in the project) in the "Sense of the Sixties"--musically and aesthetically--before, during and immediately after each session.
    post edited by papa2004 - 2008/09/03 08:16:11

Regards,
    Papa
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 10:02:01 (permalink)
    For overall EQ, roll off the high end a little steeper than normal on the mains. If you have Har-Bal, go to their website and grab the Pink Floyd reference file that some user submitted. It's the classic EQ curve for well-recorded material of that era: steep rolloff below 50Hz, flat to around 5KHz then -6db/octave above that, and very little content above 12-15KHz.

Heavy compression on the drums, including overheads, so the cymbal hits run into each other. No extra beef on the kick: no sub-harmonic enhancement, no low-end EQ boost, and no prominent beater, either. 60's kick is more jazz-like than contemporary rock. Lots of bleed - most classic 60's recordings were done with a minimal number of microphones. Pan the toms closer to the center than is common practice today.

If going for an American style, record the drums close and extra dry, then add reverb to them afterward. If going for a British style, use lots of room mic.

Record the bass through a direct box and keep it clean.

Except for the drums, use much lighter compression ratios than current standards -- but compress everything. It was common practice to use the console channel compressors on nearly every track. However, the limiting on the final mix should be very conservative.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 10:11:30 (permalink)
    Pink Floyd is 70s not 60s. BTW they cared about the recording quality.
    post edited by John - 2008/09/03 10:26:50

Best
    John
    Mr Clean
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 146
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 10:29:29 (permalink)
    Pink Floyd started in the 60's John. Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd were all psychadelic. Was later in the 70's when they made their most famous music/albums with Dave Gilmore who replaced Syd.
    Mr Clean
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 10:36:22 (permalink)
    For anyone interested, check out The Smoke's My Friend Jack - http://www.myspace.com/thesmokeuk - A good example of 1967 Psychedelic Production. Adjust your balanced left to right and see what I mean. Get a hold of there album, ...it's Smoke time! if you can. A Psychedelic classic.

Classic fookin' track aswell. Great, pretty unknown, UK band.

Or check out Pink Floyd's - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn for some extra-ordinary sounds and production.
    post edited by Mr Clean - 2008/09/03 10:47:02
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 10:52:40 (permalink)
    Released in August 1967, the band's debut album, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn I supposed that a band recorded in the late 6os would make them a 6os band but just barely. None the less here they are thought of as a 70s band. If they had been recording in the early 60s and onward then I would think of them as 60s.

Best
    John
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 10:56:33 (permalink)
    John
    I have to go with Mr Clean here.

Lucifer Sam is classic psych and that is 1967 from piper at the gates of dawn.

Careful with that axe egene is Ummagumma from 1969.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Mr Clean
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 11:01:10 (permalink)
    Yeah the debut album was released in 1967 but they were performing as an underground band as Pink Floyd from 1965. They were around as a band before Pink Floyd though under various names. 1964 the PF members first started playing together, so I'd class them as a 60's band. Although I do appreciate that they were virtually unknown in America pre 70's.
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 11:11:05 (permalink)
    I thought this thread was about the 60s sound as a recording technique. PF at that time was not really part of that type of recording. The equipment had evolved and sound was much better in the very late 60 vs the early and mid 60s. Music type has nothing to do with it. Art least as I see it.

Best
    John
    Mr Clean
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 11:20:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Cormega

I have a project coming up that is total 60s psychedelic rock......

I'd say the Pink Floyd sound and styles of recording would be worth examining for the OP's forthcoming project. Piper was recorded in EMI's Abbey Road Studio with all the same equipment as bands like The Beatles, The Hollies etc etc were using.

Analysing sounds of such bands would give the OP as much insight into how things are recorded along with what tube mic's and pre's to use would it not? Listening gives a better insight into production by far than any gear advice could provide? IMO
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 11:35:05 (permalink)

I'd say the Pink Floyd sound and styles of recording would be worth examining for the OP's forthcoming project. Piper was recorded in EMI's Abbey Road Studio with all the same equipment as bands like The Beatles, The Hollies etc etc were using.

Analysing sounds of such bands would give the OP as much insight into how things are recorded along with what tube mic's and pre's to use would it not? Listening gives a better insight into production by far than any gear advice could provide? IMO

Listen to an early Beatles recording and one done a little later. They are so different its as if they were recorded by very different gear. Oh they were. We can debate this but the point is to not sound good. That is what 60s recordings were like . Late 60s recordings had a sea change in recording quality that continued into the 70s and 80s. The early 60s were a bad time for rock recordings. Great music but awful recordings. If one wants to sound 60ish then low fi is the ticket. 45s were king then.

BTW getting a CD wont be that useful because it may be remastered.

Best
    John
    Mr Clean
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 11:47:40 (permalink)
    I don't argue the fact that the equipment changed over the years, that's technology, that happens but I am of the opinion that listening to productions of a similar nature to which you wish to achieve, in a sound-a-like way, will aid you along with using similar mic's, pre's, comps, etc to get to that sound achievement.

Not arguing, just my opinion. I know nothing about mics, pre's, tubes or anything else from the 60's to now! But I know alot of Psychedelic music.

krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 11:48:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Clydewinder

Track a real band live in a good sounding room. Lately I have been doing a lot of "live in the studio stuff" and the vibe is great. I'm not saying live to 2 track but you can certainly capture the song, breathing & rocking, with a bunch of good mics and good musicians. The Hendrix recordings seem so random but others like the Who, Cream, Hollies, first Zep album, all great examples. I believe the first 2 yes albums were recorded live in the studio as well, with some vocal overdubs after the fact.

Personally, I think this is the best advice so far. I've read lots of stuff about this in recent years (EQ & Tape OP magazine and a few other monthly mags have discussed this a lot). And my own experience has seemed to echo what Clydewinder said. All these 60's bands that made a name for themselves all had something in common - they all tracked live (more or less) to a minimum of equipment. Remember back in the day they were lucky to have 8 tracks. The rooms certainly played an important role but even more importantly than the room was how the engineers positioned the few mics they had to work with and how the players were positioned in relation to the those mics. Also, I think, pre-production played an important role.

I think it was EQ that had a really good article about the first Pink Floyd album a few months back. Definitely worth reading if you can find a copy of the issue. Whichever road you take - have fun on the journey!

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 12:08:51 (permalink)
    to have 8 tracks.

The Beatles sent the (reportedly) "first" 8 track machine to the Montery Pop Festival in June of 1968. Supposedly they had not even used it themselves.

Advice to OP: Maybe try recording basic tracks live to 4 Track tape (i.e. Porta Studio). All my 80's recordings on a Porta Studio sounded vey '60s to me.
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 12:13:47 (permalink)

Advice to OP: Maybe try recording basic tracks live to 4 Track tape (i.e. Porta Studio). All my 80's recordings on a Porta Studio sounded vey '60s to me.

I was thinking of that as a means to the end. Neat idea.

Best
    John
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: 60s style production 2008/09/03 12:17:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: John

I was thinking of that as a means to the end. Neat idea.

My Porta One is available for rent.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1