A guitar question....

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Marah Mag
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1000
2008/07/16 22:32:35 (permalink)

A guitar question....

OK... let's see if this gets moved to the Gear forum....

Can someone here explain the difference between the "Squier by Fender Affinity Series" and the regular Fender Squier line? Are all Affinity models Squier? I know that Squier is the lower end Fender line, but it seems that Affinity is the lower end Squier. Or is it the other way around?

I'm thinking of getting a bass guitar, exclusively for writing/arranging and recording -- prolly a Precision variation -- and that price range is about right, but I can't figure out the different lines.... and I don't know much about guitar manufacture and so on... as far as the preferred woods, etc. I just know that I really want a bass!

So for example... what's the practical diff between these two (other than the second PU on the first one):

Squier by Fender Standard P Bass Special 4-String Bass Guitar : $249 USD
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Standard-P-Bass-Special-4-String-Bass-Guitar-510569-i1146467.gc

Squier by Fender Affinity Series P Bass : $179 USD
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Standard-P-Bass-Special-4-String-Bass-Guitar-510569-i1146467.gc
post edited by Marah Mag - 2008/07/16 23:05:02

48 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: A guitar question.... 2008/07/16 22:54:47 (permalink)
    I don't know much about these 2.....I would imagine it has to do with quality....but in that price range the quality is not going to be real high either way. If you can afford it, Spend a bit more to get a decent guitar. The quality of the guitar will be reflected in the audio output and the subsequent recorded sound.

Cheaper guitars are generally made with lighter weight woods, less sustain, maybe no truss rod so the neck is not adjustable or difficult to adjust, buzzing frets. In addition, the cheaper guitars use lower quality electronics ie: pickups and pots....which results in lower quality sound, more hum & buzz, less output in sound quality.

The good guitars are higher priced for a reason......you get what you pay for. Go for quality...if you can afford to do so....even if you have to save a few more months.....you will appreciate the playability and sound quality of a professional guitar. In addition to sounding better & playing better, the quality guitar holds it's value, and can even increase in value over time.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    cjlinus
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: A guitar question.... 2008/07/17 01:09:00 (permalink)
    Marah,

I did some internet browsing and didn't come up with much on the affinity line. They seem to be made in China but other than that I couldn't find anything that spoke to what sets them apart from the other Squires. The Fender site had little to no information on the subject. For the amount of money you want to spend you could look into used instruments.

Last year I was on a serious bass hunt. I had a '60s Danelectro, a mid '70s Fender Musicmaster, and an early '80's Squire Bullet and all of them had issues that made them unsuitable for recording. I sold off the lot and went to every music store in my area testing. I was almost sold on the Fender Highway 1 Jazz bass but for a couple dollars more I could get the American standard. Indecision, so I decided to look at used gear.

I looked at a lot of eBay stuff and narrowed my search down by deciding what my price point would be. Since I really wanted a good J bass I figured that I would keep it on the cheap and save up my pennies for a dream bass. I set my price at $200. With that in mind I looked at basses on eBay to get a feel for what I could get. Back in the 80s I played bass in a couple rock bands, I had a few favorites back then so I started looking at those first. Turned out that two of my personal favorites, the Peavey Foundation and Yamaha BB300 were both readily available at my price point.

Next I checked back with the music stores, Daddy's Junky was in my area but they didn't have what I was looking for. Next came the pawnshops. I didn't find a BB300 but I did find a nice BB450, a more recent version of my old fave. The guy was asking $300, I offered $200 and I walked away with a pretty nice bass. Yamaha uses great sounding pickups that are the same size as Fender units so a swap in the future will be easy. The bridge is good but the tuners suck. Other than that I'm pretty happy and getting sounds that I like from a comfortable to play instrument.

I guess the gist of all this is if you order a cheap bass from a online store you may or may not be happy with the results. If you go where you can look at a bass first hand, you’re better off. I feel it's always best to buy a guitar that I can try first, especially in that price range as there is a lot of variation in quality, even in that same instrument line. Well, that was a long story but the point is: look around at your options. You may be surprised at what you can find in your price range.

Personal basses to look for:

Ibanez Roadstar II series early to mid ‘80s
    Yamaha BB series If you find a BB2000 for $200 please call me first with all the contact information
    Peavey Foundation, this was a very extensive line but any one of them is a good bass and they sell cheap

Bet you can’t tell when I started playing bass.

When I was a kid we had to use Portastudios, uphill! both ways!!

Listen to my songs here
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: A guitar question.... 2008/07/17 07:28:33 (permalink)
    Yamaha BB series If you find a BB2000 for $200 please call me first with all the contact information

Those are definitely desirable items, alright - must keep an eye open for those - I love Yamaha guitars and basses anyway.

http://link.marktplaats.nl/177032128

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: A guitar question.... 2008/07/17 10:31:51 (permalink)
    Marah, last October I was in the market for my first bass. Because it was my first I didn't want to make a huge expenditure. I played several Squiers, most of which I rather liked. I ended up getting an Ibanez GSR200 for $200. It plays nice and the various knobs offer a wide selection of tones. I'm very happy with it, and as an added feature, I'm actually having a blast playing bass. FWIW. Happy hunting!
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: A guitar question.... 2008/07/17 10:52:29 (permalink)
    I have a Yamaha BB series I bought new in the 80's. I put EMG Select pickups in it. Just a great bass, with tons of tone. I've since re-finished the thing a few times, but I think it was a Bill Wyman model.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: A guitar question.... 2008/07/18 15:37:26 (permalink)

Hi again Marah

I faced the same dilemma twenty-odd years ago.

I ended up getting a Japanese series Fender P-Bass which I still use exclusively today for jamming and recording.

However, although it's [probably??] a better piece of kit than the Squires, as Herb alludes to, it's still not a real pro guitar - I wouldn't use it if I was a gigging bass player, it's just not built for the job. If I was, I'd bite the bullet and get a USA model.

But for what I need it to do, it's ideal - it plays like an absolute dream all over the neck and it's easy enough to add some balls back into it's thinnish sound in the mix.

For me it's the best of both worlds, the build quality is good enough to trust it's in tune everywhere but it cost me considerably less than the 'genuine' article.

My advice would be to get whatever instrument is appropriate for what you want to use it for - as others have said though, I firmly believe that you do get what you pay for. Especially at the lower end of the market, I'd make sure you get to play the very instrument you end up buying, the quality across the range of any one cheaper model can vary enormously - that's why the playability of the bass I ended up buying was worth the extra outlay over the Squire models I tried alone.

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

pistolpete
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1584
    RE: A guitar question.... 2008/07/18 21:25:19 (permalink)
    Squiers are basically Chinese junk. You may be better off looking at something higher quality but used. You can get a better instrument for your money.
    Marah Mag
    RE: A guitar question.... 2008/07/18 21:47:03 (permalink)
    Hey all thinks for the replies and ideas and sharing your experiences.

I like the idea of getting one used, which is what I'd been hoping to do all along. That makes it a little more difficult because I also like the idea of not getting anything unless I can sit down and play it myself. So I'm limited to local. But that's OK. There are a number of used (plus new) instrument and equipment shops in the area that seem to get regular turnover and that update their inventory on their web site. (Plus I've got some old stuff that I'd like to get rid of so hopefully I can work out a trade.) So if I'm patient I should end up with something pretty decent. I'll let you know what I eventually end up with.

In the meantime, I've been using my guitar to do bass. It's funny... the result isn't what you'd call a "great bass sound" -- you know, phat and phull and all that pstuff -- but it's curiously effective when I use the right settings and processing. It certainly makes it easier to get the kind of parts I like and the articulations right, playing an actual guitar, than using a kb bass. It's an adventure, at least.

Thanks again! I appreciate the input!
    pistolpete
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1584
    RE: A guitar question.... 2008/07/18 21:51:39 (permalink)
    There are some other options. If you run a Line6 GX, the gearbox tool has an octave effect that essentially turns your guitar into a bass sound. It's not quite the same as a real but it can sound fairly close with some tweaking. At around $70-80 its a cheap and easy bass sound.
    Marah Mag
    RE: A guitar question.... 2008/07/18 21:56:42 (permalink)
    Ya I'm actually using a patch from my X3. Some variation of the "Tube Base" patch. I tried the pitch shift and "octaver" patches but I wasn't crazy about them, though I will give them another go.

dwardzala
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1470
    Bass Thread Resurrection 2008/09/29 20:08:03 (permalink)
    I am going to be in the market for a bass in the next few months (thnk X-mas). I am planning on using it primarily for home recording. I have never played bass before and think I would rather have a "short scale" bass as opposed to a standard bass.

Any recommendations in the $250 to $450 price range?
    Marah Mag
    RE: Bass Thread Resurrection 2008/09/29 20:28:50 (permalink)
    Hi dwardzala.

I recently bought a bass for direct recording through a POD X3 -- an Ibanez SRX2EX1 -- and am so far very happy with it. I was able to find a used one in excellent condition in a music store, but even new it's till in your price range.

It's not short scale, but I actually like the full scale, coming at it from guitar. It's not terribly difficult to get used to the longer neck and wider spacing (I only rarely played actual bass before getting this)... it's quite natural actually... and now that I think about it, in some ways, the scale differences probably make a positive difference in my approach to the instrument and the kind of parts I play -- the increased scale seems appropriate for the "bigger" sound of the bass and the role it plays in arrangements... for whatever that's worth.

This is a related thread that might be some interest to you. http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1459590

Good luck in your search! You'll love having a bass!!
    post edited by Marah Mag - 2008/09/29 20:31:12
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Bass Thread Resurrection 2008/09/30 08:38:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Marah Mag

It's not short scale, but I actually like the full scale, coming at it from guitar. It's not terribly difficult to get used to the longer neck and wider spacing (I only rarely played actual bass before getting this)... it's quite natural actually... and now that I think about it, in some ways, the scale differences probably make a positive difference in my approach to the instrument and the kind of parts I play -- the increased scale seems appropriate for the "bigger" sound of the bass and the role it plays in arrangements... for whatever that's worth.

I'm 100% in agreement with your points here Marah.

A full scale bass is the way to go; I only have short fingers so I tried a short scale bass before I bought my Japanese series Precision - it just didn't feel right, it didn't handle like a 'proper' bass somehow! It is, as you say, hard to explain why but my normal size bass just sort of 'fits' better I guess.

I'd really only advocate the short scale option if you're likely to be playing a fair amount of chords; if you struggle with stretches like me a better option is to get a bass with a narrower neck radius - I think Fender make some thin neck Jazz basses, including a Geddy Lee signature model (on my Christmas list!).

Steve

Marah Mag
    RE: Bass Thread Resurrection 2008/09/30 09:59:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK
    ....a better option is to get a bass with a narrower neck radius....

Good idea. That's one of the things I liked about the Ibanez I eventually got. The neck is narrower than the Fenders I tried.
    Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    RE: Bass Thread Resurrection 2008/09/30 09:59:33 (permalink)
    My 2 cents. I picked up a Dean Bass for $250.00 about 2 years ago. For being made in Indonesia (I think. I long since removed the sticker) I was a bit surprised by the quality. Straight neck, no dead spots, low action with no buzz, stays in tune, and above all has a good solid tone. ILike Marah, I've fiddled around with a bass every now and then and this was my first one. The longer scale also has a tendency to make you approach the instrument differently. If anything it has me also playing solo runs and embellishments on the guitar a bit differently than I used to.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

mcourter
    RE: Bass Thread Resurrection 2008/09/30 11:52:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Doc_Hollingsworth

The longer scale also has a tendency to make you approach the instrument differently. If anything it has me also playing solo runs and embellishments on the guitar a bit differently than I used to.

I agree, Doc. After playing bass for a year, I find that I have a different perspective on playing guitar

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Bass Thread Resurrection 2008/09/30 11:56:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mcourter

The longer scale also has a tendency to make you approach the instrument differently. If anything it has me also playing solo runs and embellishments on the guitar a bit differently than I used to.

I agree, Doc. After playing bass for a year, I find that I have a different perspective on playing guitar

LOL - make that three of us!

Way back, I stopped playing guitar altogether for a year or so, thinking I just wasn't improving or enjoying it that much.

I played bass almost exclusively during that period and learned some scales and techniques which fired up my interest in playing six-string again!

This is weird, or do a lot more of us have a similar story to tell I wonder.

Steve

dwardzala
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1470
    RE: Bass Thread Resurrection 2008/09/30 18:47:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the ideas on buying a bass. I guess the best thing for me to do is play both a standard and a short scale and see which one feels right.

I tend to like Ibanez gear (my electric is an Ibanez) probably because of the shape of the neck, so they are definitely on my list to try.

Dave
    Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
    MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
    Win10 x64 Home
    Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
    M-Box Mini v. 2
    Win 10 x64 Home
    Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
    https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

cjlinus
    RE: Bass Thread Resurrection 2008/09/30 21:28:33 (permalink)
    Well I started on bass and moved to guitar after a couple years. I quit playing completely for about three years and then got back into things on bass again. I play mostly guitar now but it is interesting to look at my approach to each instrument. I played a short scale musicmaster bass for a few years and thought that it was great live but in a recording I could never get that nice round bottom that I think a bass should have. My approach was consistent from long to short scale but the tone was not what I wanted with the short scale, at least for recording direct. I had a Danelectro short scale as well and it gave me the same results so I can only surmise that a longer scale gives a different kind of tone.

Listen to my songs here
    Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    RE: Bass Thread Resurrection 2008/10/01 10:10:49 (permalink)
    CJ, That's an interesting observation. But now that I think about (physics) that would stand to reason. Longer string length allows for better wave propagation as well as more active string length for sympathetic harmonics.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

mcourter
    RE: Bass Thread Resurrection 2008/10/01 12:32:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dwardzala

Thanks for all the ideas on buying a bass. I guess the best thing for me to do is play both a standard and a short scale and see which one feels right.

I tend to like Ibanez gear (my electric is an Ibanez) probably because of the shape of the neck, so they are definitely on my list to try.

My first bass, a year aago, was an Ibanez GSR200, almost the cheapest one they make. Nevertheless, it's a good instrument. Fairly light, and with a lot of tonal diversity. I lowered the action a bit, and it plays great, sounds great. I'm very happy with it. It's not quite in the same league as my Carvin, but I still like it a lot.

Unbridled Enthusiasm
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Bass Thread Resurrection 2008/10/01 13:04:32 (permalink)

It's not quite in the same league as my Carvin.

Hey Mark, I was going to ask how you were getting on with that little beaut

Longer string length allows for better wave propagation as well as more active string length for sympathetic harmonics.

I've heard that poor old Pete suffers from the very opposite of this on his micro-scale one string banjo

Smashman
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: A guitar question.... 2008/10/17 19:03:27 (permalink)
    A few years ago I saw a couple of cheap guitars on eBay. One was an electro/acoustic bass, of unknown origin. I bought it thinking it might be ok, and if not it would look nice sitting on the stand in the corner of the room. Perhaps I was lucky with the one I got but I now use it for almost all recording and playing at home. The much more expensive P and J basses rarely see the light of day. A different type of guitar also changed the way I played (which is something given that I'm fast approaching 50).

My advice would be to get yourself to some stores and play a few, forget about names and pick the one that feels/sounds the best.

Never lose the groove
    mcourter
    RE: Bass Thread Resurrection 2008/10/18 11:08:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK

It's not quite in the same league as my Carvin.

Hey Mark, I was going to ask how you were getting on with that little beaut

Steve, I'm in love with that thing. I have a hard time putting it down, it feels so good in my hands, and sounds so sweet. What a tone it generates! Just beautiful. This is one of those instruments you never want to part with.

Unbridled Enthusiasm
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Bass Thread Resurrection 2008/10/18 12:44:32 (permalink)

Great news Mark

I just acquired a new four string myself.

I'd been thinking about changing my trusty old Japanese series Fender Precision for a while now, although it plays like a dream it's just a little too light to give a good deep tone. I can sort of get that extra bottom with Gearbox but I just decided I wanted to start off with a better signal.

The guy who owns the best guitar shop in town (we're lucky here, we have six to choose from!) had a Yamaha with active pickups for sale - I picked it up and after playing it for only half a minute, I just knew I had to have it!

(I'll get a decent pic of mine instead of this asap)

It played every bit as well as my P-Bass and the tone was incredible - just what I'd been looking for! I got a great trade-in on the Fender off him so I did the deal there and then.

I found some great reviews for it, including this one where the guy compares it favourably to the US series Jazz bass!

Steve

Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: Bass Thread Resurrection 2008/10/18 17:12:23 (permalink)
    Strummy, congratulations on acquiring a thoroughly modern instrument. I've heard nothing but good things about Yamaha guitars and basses, which is pretty remarkable for a company that also makes stereos and jet-skis.

How are the active electronics treating you? People talk a lot about tone being in the fingers, but when it comes to basses, there's nothing like active pickups to shake things up a bit.

Can't wait to hear some tunes on it.

Cheeers,

Jessie
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Bass Thread Resurrection 2008/10/18 17:24:51 (permalink)

I was a bit skeptical myself to be honest Jessie - the thing just doesn't work at all without a battery in it!

However, the controls are very smooth and extremely responsive.

The volume pot is per an ordinary bass but the other three pots have a cut and boost function for bass, treble and out put.

When everythings up at max, it rumbles along like a 747 taking off!

I like playing with thinnish strings so I'm planning to bang a new set on pretty soon - I think that was the death knoll for the Fender - I got a really nice twang with thinner strings but the bottom end was almost non-existant without a lot of post EQ.

BTW, did I tell you I got my new Variax as well last week

It's a red 700 tremolo bridge model like this (I really need to take some pics of my own) and I absolutely love it:

cjlinus
    RE: Bass Thread Resurrection 2008/10/19 02:31:57 (permalink)
    Steve,

You'e been busy at the checkout counter lately. You might remember that I'm a big fan of Yamaha basses, mine has passives though. For some reason they just plain know how to get a great sound out of their pickups. The Variaxe looks fun too! Did you use it on the Reggae tune?

Listen to my songs here
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Bass Thread Resurrection 2008/10/19 05:38:12 (permalink)

Hi CJ

The reggae scratch was the last thing I recorded with the Fender and the guitar's my old one.

I haven't recorded anything with the new gear yet, I'm still trying to get my head round the customising options for the Variax. It sounds great just using the 'presets' but I'm experimenting with a Strat 'body' with two Gibson 'pickups' at the moment - luverly!

As to the bass, I do recall you mentioning it mate - I just can't get over what a great sound it delivers and how it plays, I read somewhere the neck is made of alder (as opposed to ash) which is often found on many higher end guitars and basses. Sure is smooth though.

Steve

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1