A present for my wife (FINAL Version now Available!)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Roflcopter
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/10 11:56:21 (permalink)
mix sounds very good although through headsets the bass seemed to stick out a bit.

Bringing it down again a bit is the hardest part - if you get that sound for the first time it's very addictive - it's the right fatness though, much clearer. Best use a volume envelope on it, is easiest way to control it, purely by volume. Lovely endnote.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
clarkeo
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 625
RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/10 18:36:48 (permalink)
Love it! That really did fatten up the bass. Vocals sound great. Beautiful song!

Clark

Sonar PE 8.5.2, Project 5 V2, Firepod
AsherLongley
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 683
RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/10 21:26:14 (permalink)
JOHN: LOL Wow, I sure am glad Gabriella feels the same way too!! HAHAHA. Thank you so much for the prayer. It really means a lot to me. Amen!

DAZED: Thanks for the listen. I took your advice and that of others on the bass part. It should be balanced nicely now. BTW, She Loooooves it!

SPACEDUCK: Good gravy! Thank goodness for proof reading, huh! Thanks for the drum comments. It was certainly a challenge to get all of the levels right, but I'm satisfied with the results.

LARRY: Your comment had my wife and I laughing so hard. Of course John and SPACEDUCK fueled the fire, but you fanned it into an explosion. You've got a great sense of humor. Thanks for the response!

ROFLCOPTER: I was able to put the envelope on my bass track and balance the levels out. Again, awesome suggestions. I'll be able to use this technique for many songs to come!

CLARK: Thanks. And thanks again for the bass technique suggestion, it really improved the ending!

The song is now updated with the vocal and bass track volumes balanced out correctly!
Roflcopter
RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/11 03:30:11 (permalink)
ROFLCOPTER: I was able to put the envelope on my bass track and balance the levels out.

Yeah, it's a good one. There's a discussion about 'cutting and boosting' in the Producer forum, which is a bit of vague generic BS, really - you can't give any 'hard' rules for it, but this is one where you see how you first boost, then cut - and it works.

ToneCarver
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1655
RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/11 10:19:37 (permalink)
Matt,
I am just now catching up to this .. great work, awesome sentiment. Really like the BGVs, harmonies and, of course, the guitar solo intro narration . Great solo too. Nice transitions and changeup of styles. Nice work all the way around really, great job.
AsherLongley
RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/13 00:22:48 (permalink)
ROFLCOPTER: Can you add a link to that thread? I'm not familiar with the concepts of this technique.

Bill: Thanks a lot. Especially about the "guitar solo intro narration". You're the first one on this forum to mention anything about it. I also posted this on Taxi.com, but the first objection I had to this song was the narration. I don't know what those people are trying do to in that forum, but it's very slow and appears most people are in competition with each other. (I'll stick to cakewalk )
thebiglongy
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 502
RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/14 16:33:04 (permalink)
Just browsing through and thought i'd say niceone. Track sounds great and the message definately comes over.

The only thing i think i'd change is the snare, maybe re-eq or use a different sample to get a little snare rattle from it and open it up a bit, seems, like it's almost too obvious and sits above the rest of the mix....found myself first time round, focusing on the snare rather than your vocals.

Otherwise it's sounding great mate :D
DuRod
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1082
RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/15 07:15:59 (permalink)
Matt, your wife must be glowing over this one!! I didn't listen to the original, but I have no nit picks on the final, it sounds great. The mix seems to have everything in just the right place and the vocals are right on. I love the melody and the way you vary it throughout the song. Good stuff, bravo!!

DuRod
Roflcopter
RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/15 15:42:07 (permalink)
ROFLCOPTER: Can you add a link to that thread? I'm not familiar with the concepts of this technique.

Sorry, missed the question.

Here's the google for cutting and boosting on this forum

There's a few threads, the technique is officially used in EQ'ing, but you can extend that to any boost in certain frequencies (fattening the bass) and then bringing down the gain on it. This ofcourse sounds differently. The point is that the extra 'buzz' + *a part* of the frequencies are useful, but they can also get in the way. In that case you'd 'cut' more specifically into certain undesired parts of the resulting bass as well, besides gain only.

Voxengo GlissEQ helps greatly with that kind of finetuning. Means you can really curb an instrument, and give it the sound/expression/loudness/presence you want, without it getting out of hand and getting 'muddy' or in the way of other instruments.

AsherLongley
RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/16 13:10:10 (permalink)
THEBIGLONGY: Thanks for the comment! Thanks for the detail about the snare. I'll revisit that track and see if the snare can be blended in better.

Duane: Thanks! She is. She loves to read these posts too. (BTW, we're getting a new mini-dachshund puppy. Red like Bitsy!!)

ROFLCOPTER: This is really great. Thanks for expounding on the cutt/boost details. It is really making my production quality rise. BTW, I started playing around with accoustic guitar recording again last night and found a SWEET blend of mic and DI that I will use on my next instrumental song. Another example of techniques put into practice I learned from this forum. YES!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1