A present for my wife (FINAL Version now Available!)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
AsherLongley
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 683
2007/08/05 19:24:50 (permalink)

A present for my wife (FINAL Version now Available!)

I wrote this song as a birthday present for my wife. I thought the good folks here in the Song forum would like to hear it.

FINAL VERSION NOW AVAILABLE!!! ----- This song couldn't have reached its potential without the folks on this Cakewalk Forum, THANK YOU!!!

"Gabriella" aka - "Memories of You" (FINAL VERSION)
hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5634447&q=hi

"Gabriella" aka - "Memories of You" (ORIGINAL)
hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5638969&q=hi

I have a couple areas I'd like feedback on.

General Mix:

Vocal Mix:

Bass Track performance:

Thanks for your feedback!!

Matthew
post edited by AsherLongley - 2007/08/10 00:34:08

39 Replies Related Threads

theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/05 20:12:41 (permalink)
    I think this is the best I have heard you done so far Matthew. Very nice and very romantic. Seem like one little strain in high notes on vocals in one spot (you'll have to revisit or you are all ready aware of) but I liked this alot. Nice work on everything.

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/05 20:21:54 (permalink)
    Well Matthew - what can I say. First things first: Gabriella is going to love that, for sure. You've said what you wanted to say in the lyrics, no doubt, and one can hear it came from the heart! So, what a nice tribute to her!
    Now to the song itself:
    General Mix - I think, generally your mix sounds very clear to me. It's not as spacious as I would have liked, but that's just a preference. When listening to the whole mix, I've noticed the bass lingering somewhere in the back most of the time (there are times, curiously enough, when it appears to be more upfront). The cymbals/crashes of the drums are too prominent, imo - but that's a minor tweak. The vocals could come up more to the front; it's not that they are too soft, but I think they should stand out a bit more. The whole drum kit you could bring back a tad.
    I absolutely love the BGVs, Matt!! The vocal arrangement (and the way you've mixed all the voices together) sounds awesome. This, I'm sure, must have taken you a long time. The vocals are definitely the backbone of this song. Very well done.
    As said above, I would have liked to hear more of the bass. I don't seem to actually hear an organized bass line - or a pattern for that matter. It sort of comes and goes (headphones). Did you play it yourself?
    I have noticed that absolutely wonderful chord change between verse 2 and verse 3. To a chord lover like me, that was a treat! I also liked the change of pace that starts at around 3:25.
    All in all, a wonderful song - a successful tribute. Good job.
    Heinz.

AsherLongley
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/06 13:51:10 (permalink)
    THEGUITARPLAYER: Thanks for the comment. I appreciate you pointing that out. I cringe when it comes up. I know it needs to be changed. I still don't know exactly what I'm going to do vocally there, because it's such a difficult chord transition. I have the heart but not the voice!!! Thanks for listening.

HEINZ: Great analysis. This gives me much food-for-thought. Thanks for taking the time to address all those issues.
    -How would you make the mix more spacious?

I really love vocal harmonies. I love singing, even though I can't sing the way I hear the vocals in my mind. (BUT I TRY!) Thanks for the BGV compliment.

I do play the bass line. I'm a guitar player who just picked the bass up about 6 months ago. I play the bass parts out of necessity. If anyone has some bass line suggestions PLEASE POST!

I'll do some level adjustments to the crash/cymbal track. The entire drum section is a frankenstein of one-hits and loops, so leveling and panning is a challenge.

post edited by AsherLongley - 2007/08/06 19:47:27
    clarkeo
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/06 19:28:37 (permalink)
    Hi Matthew,

General mix: guitar sounds a little to far in the background to me. Maybe pan it a little more to center and bring it up a little--maybe reduce verb a little on it. Bass could come up overall a little too. In places, it seemed to vanish a little.

Vocal mix: I thought vocal mix was pretty good balance between lead and BGV-overall vocal level I think is good.

Bass performance: I would choose another note rather than the 5th of the chord at 1:12 or resolve to the 1 a 4th above. I think walking quarter notes might be more effective than the rhythmic bassline starting at 3:28. To me it seems to loose a little foundation there. Overall though I liked the bass track.

Good song-I'm sure your wife will love it!

Clark

Sonar PE 8.5.2, Project 5 V2, Firepod
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/06 21:12:22 (permalink)
    Hey matt,
    I hate when asked to critique other's mixes, especially since I'm goin' thru my own mixing hell.

1st, you have a really nice song here, and your guitar playing is always tasty.

Having said that, ! think the bass can come up a wee bit more. You're being shy with it.

I know you wrote this song cause you got in Big Trouble with your wife by buying more gear!!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    AsherLongley
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/07 00:59:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: clarkeo

Hi Matthew,

General mix: guitar sounds a little to far in the background to me. Maybe pan it a little more to center and bring it up a little--maybe reduce verb a little on it. Bass could come up overall a little too. In places, it seemed to vanish a little.

Vocal mix: I thought vocal mix was pretty good balance between lead and BGV-overall vocal level I think is good.

Bass performance: I would choose another note rather than the 5th of the chord at 1:12 or resolve to the 1 a 4th above. I think walking quarter notes might be more effective than the rhythmic bassline starting at 3:28. To me it seems to loose a little foundation there. Overall though I liked the bass track.

Clark

Clark, Much thanks for the detail. It's extremely helpful to get specifics like that. I wasn't able to use the 1st a 4th above that note at 1:12. It seemed to change the resolving chord all together and didn't fit, however, I did take your advice on the walking bass line and have re-recorded ALL the bass tonight. Here is a copy:

Memories of You (With Walking bass and all mix change suggestions)

Please let me know what you think.
    AsherLongley
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/07 01:00:45 (permalink)
    Larry!! LOL, you know it!! Have to justify the new gear somehow, right!

I updated the entire bass line and have brought it up a little in the mix. Let me know what you think.

Melodymaker48
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 379
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/07 01:33:19 (permalink)
    Hi Matthew,
    I didn't hear you're first mix but this one sounded pretty good except the vocals seemed washed away at times. You have a good voice which needs to come out front more. And the BGV's and guitars were great. The bass was fine, I heard one unresolved bass note that created a tension that you might want there and might be something to want to hear upon relistening to the song. It's those little things that we want people to look for when listening to our songs over again. The surprises and unpredictability. Catches and hooks. So we take chances. Ok, enough already, i need to go to bed.
    Praise God!
    Rob
    lhansen
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/07 10:02:00 (permalink)
    Hey Matt,
    Just listened to this mix with all your changes. This is really coming together in a big way! It's sounding a lot more polished and full. Thanks for bringing that bass a up a bit. Sounds good!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

theguitarplayer
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/07 10:18:29 (permalink)
    Matt, You have just got to sing this over and nail that vocal crossover part. It's the only part I think you need to revisit. This is for the wife and you want it perfect. Just get in the Spirit and do it. You can do it! Get er done buddy. I'm praying for you right now that you will nail it down tight. Great song. Praise the Lord.

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

AsherLongley
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/07 12:19:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: theguitarplayer

Matt, You have just got to sing this over and nail that vocal crossover part. It's the only part I think you need to revisit. This is for the wife and you want it perfect. Just get in the Spirit and do it. You can do it! Get er done buddy. I'm praying for you right now that you will nail it down tight. Great song. Praise the Lord.

Oh wow, I praise God for you sir. Thank you for thinking to pray for me in this project. Wow, I'm honored. I really try when I sing. I'd love to have more control on those high notes, but my vocal chords aren't built that why, so It's be my heart that makes the right sound come out!!!

I will certainly redo that part, and then repost the effort. During my vocal recording sessions, I move my entire setup (which isn't much) into the living room where there are much better acoustics.

ROB: Thanks for the post. I'll redo a vocal part (mentioned above) and do some more vocal balancing. Thanks for the comment and suggestions.

LARRY: Thanks. I used the Vintage64 plugin using the "Master Mix" setting on the Master channel. It seemed to bring the mix sparkle up quite a bit and make it sound more "radio" quality. (far from pro, but as good as I can get it.. for now)
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/07 16:24:05 (permalink)
    Matt, I haven't read the other replies, so this may have been covered.
    Great vocals and a terrific harmony. Guitars sound good, particularly the lead, and especially where the lead goes into guitar harmony. The snare comes across as a bit loud throughout, except the last verse where it drops out altogether. rhythm guitar and bass are too low in the mix. And the entire mix is really quiet. But it's a really good song, and well performed. I'm sure Mrs. Hoffman loved it.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/07 18:27:02 (permalink)
    Hey, Matthew! this is a great tune and I love the premise. great guitar playing from you as usual. I listened to the first one you posted, then I listened to the last one. the bass sounds really good on that last one - comes out really well in the mix. I agree with mark that the snare might could be tamed a little bit before the solo. solo sounded really great!

good job!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    clarkeo
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/07 19:36:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AsherLongley

ORIGINAL: clarkeo

Hi Matthew,

Clark

Clark, Much thanks for the detail. It's extremely helpful to get specifics like that. I wasn't able to use the 1st a 4th above that note at 1:12. It seemed to change the resolving chord all together and didn't fit, however, I did take your advice on the walking bass line and have re-recorded ALL the bass tonight. Here is a copy:

Memories of You (With Walking bass and all mix change suggestions)

Please let me know what you think.

Hey Matt,

I like the changes in the bass line. I do think it gives a little more foundation and it kind of accents that 16th note passage (cool.) I still think the guitar could stand a little less verb. Nice work!

Clark

Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/08 06:57:38 (permalink)
    Listened to the remix only, sounds real nice, bit too much verb on the rthythm guitars and higher drums for my taste, creates a kind of ringy sound-ceiling you might want to check out in a drier variety - should give the rest more 'presence' by default.

I use that VC setting a lot too, and top that off with the Classic Limiter by Kjaerhus on Master CD, which on its own isn't the best (I do have a hardware one built into my soundcard as well, BTW), but together with VC it rocks, and if I need that last bit of highs (you don't, here), I toss an instance of Voxengo EssEQ on Hi-Fi setting over it. Should be almost inaudible except for a few higher things that sound even brighter. Think that gives me all in all the same as Boost11 and the like. But you do want a dry mix to start with, limiting doesn't really work to its best effect on 'verby' mixes, you will want to wait putting any serious convolution type verb in until the very end. HTH.

As a song, its simply great, really nice present.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    AsherLongley
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/08 13:10:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mcourter

Matt, I haven't read the other replies, so this may have been covered.
    Great vocals and a terrific harmony. Guitars sound good, particularly the lead, and especially where the lead goes into guitar harmony. The snare comes across as a bit loud throughout, except the last verse where it drops out altogether. rhythm guitar and bass are too low in the mix. And the entire mix is really quiet. But it's a really good song, and well performed. I'm sure Mrs. Hoffman loved it.
    Mark

Mark, Thanks for the comments. I really like the guitar lead. I recorded it twice and panned the individual performances to give the lead more room. It was fun to do (and my wife loves my guitar playing, so this is a great add to the song). Thanks for the comments on the snare.

MOD snare level, CHECK
    AsherLongley
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/08 13:12:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beagle

Hey, Matthew! this is a great tune and I love the premise. great guitar playing from you as usual. I listened to the first one you posted, then I listened to the last one. the bass sounds really good on that last one - comes out really well in the mix. I agree with mark that the snare might could be tamed a little bit before the solo. solo sounded really great!

good job!

Beagle, Thanks a lot! It's great hearing different opinions on the mixes, it helps so much to refine my songs. Like having an armchair producer by my side.
    AsherLongley
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/08 13:13:49 (permalink)
    Hey Matt,

I like the changes in the bass line. I do think it gives a little more foundation and it kind of accents that 16th note passage (cool.) I still think the guitar could stand a little less verb. Nice work!

Clark

Clark, I totally missed your reverb modification suggestion, after listening to the song again, I hear the need to change that. Thanks again, I'll work on it tonight and post another update. -Matt
    AsherLongley
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/08 13:42:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

Listened to the remix only, sounds real nice, bit too much verb on the rthythm guitars and higher drums for my taste, creates a kind of ringy sound-ceiling you might want to check out in a drier variety - should give the rest more 'presence' by default.

I use that VC setting a lot too, and top that off with the Classic Limiter by Kjaerhus on Master CD, which on its own isn't the best (I do have a hardware one built into my soundcard as well, BTW), but together with VC it rocks, and if I need that last bit of highs (you don't, here), I toss an instance of Voxengo EssEQ on Hi-Fi setting over it. Should be almost inaudible except for a few higher things that sound even brighter. Think that gives me all in all the same as Boost11 and the like. But you do want a dry mix to start with, limiting doesn't really work to its best effect on 'verby' mixes, you will want to wait putting any serious convolution type verb in until the very end. HTH.

As a song, its simply great, really nice present.

Roflcopter, Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you mentioned the reverb being too intense on the rhythm guitar. In the back of my mind I knew there was something off, I just couldn't pin-point it. I realized that Clark made the same suggestion too after reading your comment. I'm glad you mentioned some technical details. I'll have to look into combining Voxengo with my VC some time. I'll have an update to the song this evening. Thanks again.
    AsherLongley
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/08 23:21:58 (permalink)
    I just posted a fully updated version of this song.

1. Reduced reverb on rhythm acoustic
    2. Adjusted levels on snare, drums in general, bass, vocals
    3. Corrected vocal "youch!" before guitar solo

There were some semi-major changes so if you hear anything that sounds off, please let me know. You've all been great. Thanks for helping me perfect this song (as much as I can)
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/09 03:35:55 (permalink)
    Good one Matthew, this is real 'classic rock' in a Reo Speedwagon kind of way, very nicely done. Lovely chord changes, and the arrangement moves through some interesting phases. Cool solo too.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/09 08:35:12 (permalink)
    I just posted a fully updated version of this song.

Yeh, much more freedom at the top, excellent.

You could even bring out the bass a bit more by putting a separate VC MasterMix on it, plus an instance of Xcita! over it, this makes it superfat, but if you bring it down in the mix, you'll notice you can mix it in at the same level as before, but much more separated from the rest.

bit hard to find the plug these days, it's free, would get it while you still can, it's very useful at times.

http://www.uv.es/~ruizcan/p_vst.htm

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/09 09:29:43 (permalink)
    Matthew,

Great job, I really like everything about this.

I like that intro, it does have a dreamy take me back to memories vibe to it. The songwriting and arrangement are great; the song really keeps my interest going. The drums sound really professional, the playing and the quality of the sounds are really good and all the instruments sound really well in the pocket.

Great guitar solo, I like the Frank Zappa like intro to it. All the guitar parts sound great

ORIGINAL: AsherLongley

I really try when I sing. I'd love to have more control on those high notes, but my vocal chords aren't built that why, so It's be my heart that makes the right sound come out!!!

I thought the vocals sound great. The harmonies sound spot on to me and your pitch and tone sounds real good too. As far as the high notes... I'm a novice vocalist myself and I got a couple books by Roger Love that really helped me with hitting higher notes with no strain. He really focuses on what he calls 'middle voice' and has good exercises to that end on a CD. If you don't know what 'middle voice' is, (it's a mixture of chest and head and goes from about E above middle C up to about the B above that with no straining), or if you don't have a middle voice I'd suggest you get one of his books.

This is a terrific song and great performances. Congrats.

Frank
    clarkeo
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/09 18:27:53 (permalink)
    I'm getting an error message when I try to stream. I'll try again later.

<edit> I had to go to you myspace page to listen so have to listen at lower bitrate. It sounds good. I think that helped the guitar to bring down the verb some. I agree with Rofl that it'd be nice to fatten up the bass a little but I think this sounds great! Really has come together. A really nice tribute to your wife too.

Clark
    post edited by clarkeo - 2007/08/09 20:24:45

AsherLongley
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/10 00:54:08 (permalink)
    JAMES: Thank a lot for checking the song out!

ROFLCOPTER and CLARK: Sirs, This song couldn't have reached it's potential without your suggestions and technical guidance. Two BIG Thank YOUs go out to you (one from me, one from my wife)

I used the VC and the Xcita! VST. Wow, that really made the bass a complete part of this song. And the bass line technique change really made the song more stable.

FRANK: Thanks for the encouragement with my vocals. I'm really new to singing (performing that is). Your references will be a great study. Thanks for explaining middle voice. I'm sure it will help with control for me. I work hard to make my songs interesting and unique from start to finish. I'm glad you feel this one did that!!

TO ALL:
    I've posted the FINAL (however, change suggestions are still very welcome) and the ORIGINAL version of this song, so all the folks here can listen to what all of YOUR good advice has done to this song!. Like I said, it wouldn't have reached its potential without you. Thank you.
    theguitarplayer
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/10 01:10:07 (permalink)
    Matt, I told you you could nail those vocals and you did extremely well buddy. This song is done and extremely AWESOME!!!! WOW, what a difference. Make me almost wish I was your wife. She's going to love you when she get this. Praise the Lord Mat, you got this down to a science. Absolutely wonderful job on this and a great song to boot!! John

Dazed
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/10 07:56:34 (permalink)
    definitely a nice gift :)

track sounds good. vocals shine on the harmonies.

mix sounds very good although through headsets the bass seemed to stick out a bit.

Hope your wife likes the tune!
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/10 11:14:36 (permalink)
    Very nice! Sweet vox, and I love the drum groove... I'm always impressed when someone manages to get that subtle swing feel. A "frankenstein of loops & one hits" definitely did the job!

But I've got to say this just because it cracked me up so much. I totally mis-read your title: "A present for my wife (FINAL Version now Available!)"

I won't say what I accidentally read, but I'll just say that sometimes the capital letters "FI" can look like an "A".
    lhansen
    RE: A present for my wife 2007/08/10 11:54:15 (permalink)
    Space Duck -Between theguitarplayer wanting to be Matt's wife, and your "eyesight", there something in the air for sure!

Matthew -Kudos for you for keep at it and making this song really polished! Oh yeah! A keeper for sure!

Slow Marching Band

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1