A simple gain vst for SONAR?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
RedSkyRoad
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 258
2008/05/23 07:20:26 (permalink)

A simple gain vst for SONAR?

Where can I find a simple gain vst to put into my FX chain to automate my volume of my channels whilst leaving my Console faders alone?

In FL Studio I used to insert its "Balance" FX-Vst and then just automate its level knob...

Any suggestions?

35 Replies Related Threads

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 07:21:46 (permalink)
    is there any reason you wouldn't use a track envelope?

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    RedSkyRoad
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 08:21:28 (permalink)
    As I understand "track envelope", it is a curve drawn that is connected to a specific variable that can be automated, right?

An envelope controlling volume? But where?

I'd like to have an automation curve/envelope that controls the channels level, POST FX bin and PRE Channel fader? Is there a built in function like this?
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 08:31:17 (permalink)
    It's still a mystery why you want to insert another gain stage in between the FX bin and the "Volume"... there are potential downsides...

Why can't you use the "Balance" FX-Vst and then just automate its level knob?

Just open Plugin manager and make it available in SONAR.

best,
    mike
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2008/05/23 08:35:15
    mgh
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 08:32:06 (permalink)
    volume track envelope is post fx bin but reflected in the fader, however if you use offset mode you can move the fader independently of the envelope. another option is to send the trackt o a buss to get an overall level control...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 08:34:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Puffin617

Where can I find a simple gain vst to put into my FX chain to automate my volume of my channels whilst leaving my Console faders alone?

In FL Studio I used to insert its "Balance" FX-Vst and then just automate its level knob...

Any suggestions?

What's the difference? You're still applying automated movements. Why add to the confusion (and CPU load) by using a plug-in? Inserting envelopes is always an option as Mark suggested.

You could always insert an EQ set to "Flat" and automate the ouput faders of that unit.

Regards,
    Papa
    RedSkyRoad
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 09:40:39 (permalink)
    My aim : Appart from Filter cutoffs, etc. that I automate in my FX bin, I want to automate my volume of each channel for fade-ins and outs... I only use my Faders in the console for Mastering (getting my general level of each channel correct)... By automating the channel fader, creates unnecessary problems when i just want to lift the overall volume a dB or 2...

The reason I can't use FL's "balance" is because it is FL specific... It's not a general VST...

@ papa2004 : Where in the chain of events does this ENVELOPES apply the volume changes?
    @ mgh : If it's possible to have my envelope change the volume POST FX bin and independently of the FADER, then this seems to be the sollution...

Conclusion : I want my volume envelope of each track INDEPENDENT from the console FADERS so that if I wanna UP or DOWN the dB level of a channel, I don't have to fiddle with my automation envelope...
    Tom F
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2749
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 09:44:24 (permalink)
    actually what the guy wants makes good sense - how to keep relative fades without touching all parameters and without effecting signallevel for plugins (would happen if he changed volume via trim - since i guess that you cant set the trim value as post) (or can you???)

cheers
    mgh
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 09:49:32 (permalink)
    yes, it's offset mode

papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 09:54:17 (permalink)
    papa2004 : Where in the chain of events does this ENVELOPES apply the volume changes?

Post-Fader. The fader position will remain unchanged.

I only use my Faders in the console for Mastering (getting my general level of each channel correct)... By automating the channel fader, creates unnecessary problems when i just want to lift the overall volume a dB or 2...

One way to circumvent that problem is to use the "Trim" control. You might also benefit from learning about Automation "Snapshots"...Personally, (unless I really misunderstand what you're trying to do) I think you're trying to overcomplicate things.

Regards,
    Papa
    RedSkyRoad
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 10:18:44 (permalink)
    On my way from work now I realized that the envelopes that some are referring to are the envelopes on the audio clips in the track view...

I don't have a single audio clip in my project. The whole thing is realtime MIDI. The MIDI tracks go to the VST synths and they go to the FX bin...

My whole project runs live without anything bounced to disk or playing from HD...

I'm ACTUALLY trying to just have a simple volume FX as I have a Filter FX that is automated by a automation curve in track view...

@ tomflair : I thing you are the only one here that gets what I'm trying to do here :-)
    post edited by Puffin617 - 2008/05/23 10:22:57
    mgh
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 10:24:07 (permalink)
    I don't have a single audio clip in my project

how do softsynths produce sound then? you actually DO have audio tracks produced from the softsynths, and the techniques used above can be used on them...midi ain't my thing but i'm sure there's a way of doing what you want on midi velocities etc...

RedSkyRoad
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 10:32:49 (permalink)
    The audio from the synths go directly to the audio channel where the FX are applied in realtime. I want to have controll over the level of that audio stream in the audio channel...

If the volume at a specific place is not right, I just want to adjust the automation envelope of the volume THERE and if the WHOLE channel is too loud or TOO soft relative to the rest, I just want to pull my FADER in the console, up or down...
    post edited by Puffin617 - 2008/05/23 10:59:09
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 10:38:06 (permalink)
    If the idea is to control the volume of a track at points along the track then a volume envelope is the way to do this. It is pre fader because it will control the fader. Its post FX bin because its controlling the volume of the output of the synth. You may be thinking that because you have no audio in view that an envelope wont do anything. That is a misconception.

Best
    John
    RedSkyRoad
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 10:46:55 (permalink)
    Forgive me for not thinking with the logic that apps like SONAR, Cubase or ProTools work with... I've learned to produce on FL Studio - It's logic is a bit different...

When I started with SONAR, just getting a Kick drum sample laid down was a mission because I did not know that I should use a sampler with MIDI triggering, cause FL come standard with a sampler/step sequencer combined, and works by pattern based programming...

How do I insert this POST FX volume envelope into my audio channel on the track view? Same as a normal automation curve?

Currently I'm just inserting Camel Audio's CamelPhat 3 into my FX bin at the end and automating the Filters and volume of the plugin....
    post edited by Puffin617 - 2008/05/23 10:48:43
    rosabelle
    • Total Posts : 261
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 10:55:16 (permalink)
    I just insert the Sonitus EQ which has a "level" parameter. Don't make any eq changes and just automate "level". It gives you +/- 24 dB of gain. If you need more than that, just insert another one.

If you want something a bit more comprehensive (and a plugin that actually says "gain") try Bluecat's Gain Suite which is free.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 10:57:24 (permalink)
    From the Help File.

Creating and Editing Audio Envelopes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can create audio envelopes for both audio tracks and buses. Drawing an envelope for audio data overwrites any preexisting envelope for the same parameter that occurs at the same time in the same track or bus.

After you create an envelope, you can edit it with the following procedure, but you can also edit by using the Envelope Draw tool to draw freehand or preset shapes. See Using the Envelope Draw Tool for more information.

To Create and Edit Audio Envelopes with the Select or Envelope Tools
    Right-click in the Clips pane in the track (or bus) you want to automate.
    The Clips pane popup menu appears.
    From the menu, choose Envelopes-Create Track Envelope-(name of the control you want to automate). Notice the envelope's color at the right side of the menu.
    The envelope appears in the Clips pane as a straight, dotted line in the envelope's individual color, with a node (very small circle) at the beginning. When you move the cursor over the envelope, a vertical, double-ended arrow appears under it with the name and current value of the envelope in a box next to the cursor. The envelope's vertical position reflects the current value of the parameter you are editing.

A. Node B. Envelope name and current value C. Envelope value range

Note: An automated mute envelope changes the track's mute status whenever the envelope crosses the middle of its value range.
    Using either the Select or Envelope tools, move the cursor over the envelope until a vertical, double-ended arrow appears under it (notice that the name and current value of the envelope appear in a box next to the cursor), and right-click the envelope. If you use the Envelope tool, you can't accidentally edit any other data besides the envelope.
    The Envelope Editing menu appears.
    Choose Add Node from the menu.
    A node appears on the envelope.
    Note: A shortcut to add a node is to double-click the envelope.
    Move the cursor over the node until a cross appears under it, and drag the node in any direction you want.
    Double-click the envelope to add another node.
    Drag the new node in any direction you want and release the mouse.
    Move the cursor over the segment of the envelope that lies between the two nodes until the double-ended arrow appears, and right-click the envelope to open the Envelope Editing menu.
    Choose one of the following shapes from the Envelope Editing menu:
    Jump--This choice causes the envelope to make a ninety degree jump where the envelope reaches the second node. SONAR displays jumps with a dotted line, meaning that there is automation data at the nodes where the dotted line begins and ends, but not where the line itself is.
    Linear--This choice draws a straight line between the two nodes.
    Fast Curve--This choice draws a curve between the two nodes that changes value rapidly at first, but more slowly toward the end of the curve.
    Slow Curve--This choice draws a curve between the two nodes that changes value slowly at first, but more rapidly toward the end of the curve.
    SONAR adds a shape between the nodes. You can drag any shape except a jump up or down and it maintains its curve or angle. To edit a jump, drag the node that's at either end of the jump.
    Make sure the Automation Read button is enabled, play the project and listen to the results. You can undo any step by using the Edit-Undo command (Ctrl+Z) directly after that step. You can drag the nodes in any direction you want. You can play back your project with or without the automation data by clicking the Enable Automation Playback button in the Automation toolbar.

Note: When you add a "gain" envelope to a track in SONAR, you increase the track's level post-effects, or after the effects processors. Some hardware mixers call this level "volume," because it is post-effects, but other mixers refer to this as "gain." Either way, SONAR's gain envelopes increase a track's level after the effects processors in the signal chain.

When you add multiple envelopes to a track or bus, you can choose which envelopes you want to display.

Best
    John
    RedSkyRoad
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 10:58:19 (permalink)
    Thanx :-)

I'll go have a look at Bluecat...!

Thanx John!!
    post edited by Puffin617 - 2008/05/23 11:00:18
    IzovAge
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 398
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 11:00:51 (permalink)
    Am I missing something here, why wouldn't he use a clip gain envelope. That way the fader is not effected.

Looks like I was alittle late.
    post edited by IzovAge - 2008/05/23 11:01:49
    RedSkyRoad
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 11:05:04 (permalink)
    I dont use audio clips...

Everything is realtime VST synths :-)
    IzovAge
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 11:08:36 (permalink)
    Why don't you convert to audio before mixing?
    RedSkyRoad
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 11:10:38 (permalink)
    Thanx to Rosabelle...

Bluecat is what I'm after :-) Problem solved...
    RedSkyRoad
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 11:13:08 (permalink)
    @ IzovAge : It limtis me because when I'm working on a track, I make changes to the synth, the FX plugins and the levels the WHOLE time while the track is playing. I prefer to have all my channels/instruments editable up to the point of final mixdown...
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 11:13:23 (permalink)

here you go:

I just made this for you:

http://harmoniccycle.com/hc/vst/levelHEAD.zip

I hope it brings you pleasure :-)

I had fun refreshing my hacking chops... I like to do it once a year to keep the Alzheimer symptons at bay.

best regards,
    mike
    RedSkyRoad
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 11:17:58 (permalink)
    Mike, You're my HERO :-)

It's SOOO what I want, even with LEDs :-)

ONE knob, that's all I wanted!!!

Regards
    IzovAge
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 11:21:02 (permalink)
    Understanding now. My bad.

Have you taken a look at the Sonalksis FreeG. Check it out here. Don't know if this will work for you but it's a good gain plug for sure.
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 11:24:35 (permalink)
    great news!

But I'm not a hero just a fellow citizen :-)

I hope it's adequate.

best,
    mike
    RedSkyRoad
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 11:31:07 (permalink)
    Thanx for everyone's help here today...

Without pulling too many teeth, I found what I was looking for :-)

@ Mike : Did you program that levelHEAD yourself? I tried doing something similar with SynthEdit, but not knowing SynthEdit from a bar of soap, it just made things worse...

But thanx again to all!!

The Maillard Reaction
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 11:34:49 (permalink)
    Yes, I dabble with SynthEdit about once a year... and your request seemed just simple enough that I figured I'd launch SynthEdit and do it quickly. I really do think exercise like that is good for keeping the brain working.

I'm sure a dedicated VST code guru could compile a more streamlined code... but at least you can give this a try.

best,
    mike
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2008/05/23 11:35:28
    RedSkyRoad
    RE: A simple gain vst for SONAR? 2008/05/23 11:38:37 (permalink)
    Could you please give me the code so that I can see where I stepped off the platform when I tried (in vain) to compile my own?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1