AMBOLA - FINISHED!!! Thanks to all!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
RE: AMBOLA - CONTINUED 2008/12/31 18:11:08 (permalink)
2nd listen (I'm not reading the other crits just yet):

I boosted the volume twice ... (this is not hyper-compressed)

Did you make many changes? Where's the sizzle and crackle; is this easy-listening?

I'd give vox 1+ dcbs more in 1st 2/3rds of song. These lyrics don't need so much masking/drowning by whatever else is going down the middle/center stage.

2:20 transition is good but not awesome yet. Maybe some drum changes here?

I'd widen non-vocal things a bit more, still. I'd also fade instruments in and out more.

Scott, for my ears this mix might-could be cleared up with EQ sculpting ... tho I don't wish to contradict your multi-guitars flowing here.

The guitar transients are weak ... still feeling like a reverb-washed-out pad-element ... they're just not driving (possibly increase guitar attack time if hyper-compressing them and raise UP the threshold of compression? Decrease the ratio to 3:1 or 2:1 ... then limit them or flange them into a pad element ... if you must)

Likewise, your foundation element (bass-line and drums) lacks attack-transients (to my ears) ... fix their compression parameters and add a little tape saturation to the upper harmonics?

(Note: my disclaimer applies)

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
spindlebox
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2645
RE: AMBOLA - CONTINUED 2008/12/31 20:17:28 (permalink)
Philip,
I'm sooo glad you posted some of those things. I had most of those in mind when I tackled this new mix. Just uploaded on 12/31 @ 8:17pm est

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7175634

The guitars shine a bit more, and a cut some of the bottom from them. They're not compressed. I really got a good attack out of the kit now. I read SOS to give me some better advice on that, and I have a good kick and snare, in addition to the rest of the kit which I've got a little tape sat on.

Vocals have been volume enveloped. I hope their not too loud in the mix now, but I think it's pretty even. I have parallel compression going with those, with a little tape saturation and compression going on the backing track to beef it up a little bit.

I can hear EVERYTHING now, and even did a little razzle dazzle with the organ, which is suposed to be underlaying everything anyway, not a lead instrument by any means. Just a tease.

Well, I hope I've done OK. Your honest-to-brass-tacks crits are greatly appreciated!!!

Other than this:
Did you make many changes? Where's the sizzle and crackle; is this easy-listening?

spindlebox
RE: AMBOLA - CONTINUED 2009/01/01 05:33:58 (permalink)

jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
RE: AMBOLA - CONTINUED 2009/01/01 06:50:08 (permalink)
Now this is sounding good Scott , I can really hear that kick drum working with the bass. Vocals are great too, cutting through nicely too.

One addition I might add (if I was producing! ) is some harmony/doubled vocals on the bridge/chorus 'I can't be...' etc. just to emphasize that part.

Cool stuff man.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
AndyW
Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2956
RE: AMBOLA - CONTINUED 2009/01/01 07:41:50 (permalink)
Scott,

Nice tune....several constructive comments:

1. Drums up 1db(snare maybe more?)
2. Vocals down 1db
3. Guitars don't "bite" as much as I'd perfer. Maybe a parallel track with another amp sim?
4. Agree with background vocals or some other element adding/subtracting/changing on the bridge.

It's good as is...I'm just tweaking as if I was the producer...

post edited by AndyW - 2009/01/01 07:43:42

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
spindlebox
RE: AMBOLA - CONTINUED 2009/01/01 09:05:59 (permalink)
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.
Sweet, I was thinking I got it pretty darn good.

You BOTH had simiilar thoughts to I actually. See how similarly we think?

I think I'm going to double the vox during the choruses like you both think, parallel track them, and bring the doubled track up just enough.

I also thought the snare could come up just a hair. My main focus was on the sound. I'm going to post an edit of this mail with what I did for those that could care:

SOS recommended a freeware plug (compressor called GranComp: http://www.x-buz.com/BuzCompFree.html) that I've put on my Drum Bus and Snare buss. I have 2 busses actually for my whole drum kit (skins, not OH & ROOM)., in the comp. buss I have GranComp (set to DRUM) and CamelCrusher (set to More Beef); just presets here. On the 2nd drum bus, I have JB_Ferox set to "Analog Overload". Both mixed in to taste.

On the snare, I am using both GranComp (set to SNARE TIGHT), and JB_Ferox (set to Analog Overload). The snare I EQ'd (per SOS) with a boost @ 820hz and 8000hz. I was going to cut at about 200hz but found I didn't need to. The snare I'm using is from the Nashville Kit in EZ drummer; it's the best-sounding of all the snares for any of the modules IMHO, but it was just so damned bright for this song. I've found that the Tape Sats have helped tremendously.

On the kick, I have that bussed and am using Flux Bittersweet II on the bus (set towards bitter), and the EQ actually has a 3.4dB boost @ 100hz to keep the beef, and also at 3000 to keep the attack. I think it sounds great now.

On the OH's and ROOM mics, those are bussed together and I have the SONITUS compressor with the "Complete Mix" setting, with a gain boost of 9.2 (threshold at -16, 3:1, 6.0A & 440R.)

On the master bus, I have Waves V-Comp set to Mastering 1, but I lowered the ratio to 1.5 from 2, and BBE Sonic Maximizer set on 5 for low and high and -6 on output level.

So that's pretty much it.

Thanks to you all for your help! This one was a bear.

++++++++++++++++

So anyway, I just wanted to relate that since I had so much trouble with the drums.

post edited by spindlebox - 2009/01/01 11:45:03

spindlebox
RE: AMBOLA - NEW YEARS EVE MIX! Check It! 2009/01/01 18:32:45 (permalink)
OK, I'm finally done for now. For the curious, this is what good listening on my part and good advice on your part results in:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7175634

Thank you all for your help!

mgh
  • Total Posts : 8594
RE: AMBOLA - NEW YEARS EVE MIX! Check It! 2009/01/01 19:28:34 (permalink)
ok much better than when i first heard it. i'd still stick a limiter on the master buss though! is quiet! is this a pre-production demo or what'll be on your cd, scott?

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
spindlebox
RE: AMBOLA - NEW YEARS EVE MIX! Check It! 2009/01/01 19:41:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mgh

ok much better than when i first heard it. i'd still stick a limiter on the master buss though! is quiet! is this a pre-production demo or what'll be on your cd, scott?

Oh, this is pre-MASTERING, album version! I have it down to -6dB to leave headroom, so that's what's up there!!! sorry about that. Until then, reach for the 'ol volume!!!

Thanks so much!

mgh
RE: AMBOLA - NEW YEARS EVE MIX! Check It! 2009/01/01 19:54:23 (permalink)
ah explains! great stuff dude, hope it's a great new year for your band!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
spindlebox
RE: AMBOLA - NEW YEARS EVE MIX! Check It! 2009/01/01 20:07:56 (permalink)
Me too! Look for us over in England. Our sister label in Worcestershire (Ravenheart Music Records) just picked up Distribution with Code7 and we're going to be shuttled around through them. I think this is going to be a good year for us!!!

Thanks again for your help!!! I still have a few more, so your continued help is appreciated and EXTREMELY VALUED!!!

mgh
RE: AMBOLA - NEW YEARS EVE MIX! Check It! 2009/01/01 20:13:35 (permalink)
cool! if you get over to play let me/us know, i'll come down and support you! my gig engine is set to high and i'm currently doing one every 2 weeks or so...i now need to find a band and actually PLAY some gigs and not just listen!

spindlebox
RE: AMBOLA - NEW YEARS EVE MIX! Check It! 2009/01/01 20:25:20 (permalink)
Oh I'll send out a bulletin here at Cakewalk when we DO go over. We're biding our time right now; we're actually still so brand new, but things seem to be going fast right now. I'm hoping that in 2010 we'll be able to go over. It seems as though most of the interest is coming from the UK, France, Germany and eastern Europe, so I'm all about that! Plus with 2 albums out and more of a following it should be easier to obtain tour sponsorship (we hope).

We may do a small tour here in the states as a warm up; in any case, it's not going to be a long extended thing with playing at every "alkie bar" that will book us. We'd rather do quality rather than quantity; hook up with a bigger band with a following type thing. I've made a lot of band friends lately so it would be just a matter of timing. My last band did the former (as do many bigger bands than us), all for naught!

In fact one of my former label mates Die So Fluid (from the UK), and they just went on an American tour, and still play at bar after bar. I STILL haven't seen them in any national magazines or hear any buzz whatsoever. As a result, I don't even know if touring is good for promo anymore. If we can do it to have fun and break even I'll be happy. Strange industry nowadays, just gotta try keep your finger on the pulse.

mgh
RE: AMBOLA - NEW YEARS EVE MIX! Check It! 2009/01/01 20:39:24 (permalink)
yep i see this. it seems that you need to get onto a label, to play with bands on that label, to get a decent gig - but the hunger for decent rock/goth/metal has never been higher here in the UK - i went to a gig in Manchester 2 weeks ago, 4 finnish bands, the place was full, say 500 punters, previous gigs have been full too...i think the internet age has meant everyone downloads and doesn't buy CDs, but will go to gigs and buy t-shirts etc- so make sure you have those when you come over!

spindlebox
RE: AMBOLA - NEW YEARS EVE MIX! Check It! 2009/01/01 20:44:35 (permalink)
Yeah, you're right on. I think even being on a label isn't as important as building good relationships with bands in your genera and helping each other promo by playing gigs and cross-promoting. That's the key, I think. That's why labels are so worried nowadays.

But yeah, we'll be bringing lots of CD's and swag. I think that's how bands make money these days; like I said, if we could break even and have the travel and experience I'd be happy.

Another thing that's quite exciting is; we're going to look at an up-and-coming business model - TuneCore is just starting it. We have our album hosted by them and they publish to iTunes for us, etc.. They're going to be offering FREE DOWNLOADS for customers that BANDS get paid for. There is a sponsor involved and the fan has to watch like a 15 second commercial, but they get free music, as much as they want - the sponsor get's their commercial - and the band gets paid. I think this could be the future of digital music sales, especially since FANS have such easy access to free downloads anyway.

We'll see . . .

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1